Through the Eyes of Another - Now Both POV's (PG)

A place for Sumaire's G to PG-13 stories
Sumaire
Kostan Industries intern

Through the Eyes of Another - Now Both POV's (PG)

Post by Sumaire »

Hey everyone! One shot time. Wasn't planning on writing anything new other than the new story but the muse decided to bang this into my head. lol Enjoy.

This takes place not too long after Beth was turned.

Usual Dislcaimers, not mine just borrowing.

Beth quietly entered the study, not wanting to disturb Aoife. She stood just through the entrance of the door, waiting nervously.

Aoife smiled as she looked up from her computer screen. She leaned back in the chair and asked, "What can I do for you, Beth?" She could sense the young vampire's nervousness.

Beth took a few tentative steps further into the study. She stopped and looked down at some unseen spot on the floor.

Aoife looked at her curiously. "Beth?"

Beth looked back up. "Can I talk to you?"

"Of course, dear heart." Aoife stood and headed over to the couch that sat on the far wall in-between two windows and under the now repaired tapestry. She flopped down and motioned for Beth to join her.

Beth hesitated at first, but finding her nerve she glided over and sat down on the opposite end of the couch from Aoife. She placed her self near the edge, unsure how to begin.

Aoife sat with her back against the arm of the couch, one leg crossed under the other, her head resting on her bent arm that sat on the back of the couch. "Beth . . . what is it?"

Beth took a deep breath. "Can you tell me about rape turnings?"

A shocked look floated across Aoife's face. Where is this coming from? "Why do you want to know about rape turnings?"

"Well . . ." Beth twittled her fingers. "I've been trying to understand why Coraline would have done what she did to Mick." Beth was talking so quickly that Aoife could barely understand the fledgling. "I mean, why would you do this to someone without them knowing . . . not that I'm not glad in some perverse way that she did . . . Mick and I wouldn't be together if she hadn't . . . but why not tell him? Let him make his own decision?" Beth took another big cleansing breath. "Okay, I'm done now."

Aoife just sat and stared at Beth a moment. How could she explain something that she didn't quite understand herself? "Okay . . . wow. Where is this coming from?"

"I don't know exactly. It's just been on my mind lately. I'm so grateful that Mick turned me and I'm fine with being what I am now . . . but, I just can't understand why someone would turn someone into a vampire and not give them the choice." Beth looked up from her hands and straight into Aoife's eyes.

"Have you tried to talk to Mick about it?"

"Yes. He just shuts down."

"Ah, I see. In a way I can understand why."

"Can you please explain it to me then?"

"I can try." Aoife stood and walked over to the window. "Has he told you much more about Coraline?"

"No. He won't go near the subject."

Aoife chuckled softly. "I didn't think he would. Those wounds run deep."

"Aoife, I know you didn't like Coraline." Aoife nodded in response. "Please, can you tell me about her? I really want to understand."

Aoife sighed. She knew that this conversation would happen eventually, she had just assumed it would be between Mick and Beth; not her.

"Beth, I wasn't there. I don't know the circumstances other that what Mick has said."

It was Beth's turn to sigh. "I know that, but you knew her before Mick. You said that she did what she did to Mick before."

Aoife walked over and sat back down on the couch. She stared into space, trying to gather her thoughts.

She gave a curt nod and then started. "To understand Coraline, you have to understand her sire. She is a total product of him and what she had to do to get the privilege of becoming a vampire."

"Mick said she was royalty and a whore." Beth spat the words out in disgust.

"She was a courtesan. Not quite the same thing. And yes, she was royalty. But she was very far down the totem pole so to speak. Becoming a courtesan was her best way to move up. And trust me when I say she did her job well. Along the way she also learned the art of how to manipulate men."

Beth smiled grimly. "Yeah, she struck me as very, very good at that."

"It got her noticed by Sebastian for sure. He was the only one she couldn't work her wiles on. And that eventually earned her eternity. But along the way she lost herself, I'd say."

"Wait. You think she was a good person at some point."

"That I couldn't tell you. I didn't meet her until she'd been a vampire for about 150 years. By then, any humanity she had was long gone."

Beth giggled. "I just bet you two got along sooo well."

Aoife snorted. "Hated her from the moment I met her."

"But why Mick? Why pick him?"

"To be honest, only she could have told you that." Aoife glanced out the window and at the setting sun.

"I did ask her. All I got was, I loved him."

Aoife's eyes widened in shock. "When did you ask her that?"

"When I was being held. I woke up at one point and she was sitting on the far end of the bed. They were starving her and part of her punishment was to be in the room with me but not be able to feed."

Aoife pursed her lips together. "Sounds like Sebastian." Aoife gracefully stood up and went to the sidebar, picked up two glasses and a carafe of blood. She padded back, put the glasses on the table, filled them and set the carafe down. She handed one glass to Beth, taking a long drink of her own.

"Aoife, please. Tell me about Coraline." There was a hint of desperation in Beth's voice.

"Why the sudden interest, Beth?" Aoife took another sip.

"Mick."

"Well I figured that. What's going on?"

Beth took a long draw off of her glass of blood. "He's been so distant the last few days. The feelings that I get from him are a jumbled mixture of pain, sorrow, love and disgust." Aoife couldn't help but notice the pain in her voice and see it in the fledgling's eyes.

"Disgust at you or himself?"

"Himself. I know it has to do something with his turning . . . well his first turning. I know he's fine with your turning of him." Beth added the last part quickly.

Aoife smiled gently at her. "I know he's fine with his second turning. Beth . . . how would you feel if Mick just up and walked out on you right now?"

"You mean, left me here, never to see him again?"

"Exactly."

Beth sat staring at her glass, thinking. "Well, knowing how I feel when he's just gone into town on an errand for you, I'd probably either try and follow or do something stupid."

"Again, how would you feel, not what would you do?"

Beth thought some more. "I'd feel like part of me was ripped away. My other half was gone."

"Okay. So imagine not only having to kill your sire once yourself but then watch as someone else killed her again?"

Beth's eyes went wide in shock. "Oh, my god!" Beth sat in stunned silence for a few moments. "Wait, you said that the tie was broken when you returned him."

"It did. But he had a history with her. Beth, Coraline used everything she had to get him to fall for her. She drove him to the brink of insanity." Beth nodded in understanding.

"He told me he went to her house one night, drunk and threw a chair through her plate glass window."

"She had him right where she wanted him. I'm sure she had what she thought were feelings for him or she wouldn't have turned him on their wedding night, especially since she didn't have Sebastian's blessing. I think she knew that he'd never give it. All of the ones I know about weren't really vampire material."

"Some foundation for a relationship. Hey honey, I know you don't know this. I love you but not enough to trust you with the truth about me."

"To be honest, I don't think Mick could have handled the information. I'll say it again. He should have never been turned."

"I think he could have."

"Beth, you know Mick better than that. I've never seen a more tortured soul. And frankly, I can only imagine the skeletons that are in that closet of his."

"So how do I get him past this?" Unshed tears were floating in Beth's eyes.

"You can't Beth. He has to do this on his own. He knows that he can talk to me anytime. And I have a feeling he will, when he's ready. Just be patient."

Beth snickered. "Never been one of my strong points."

Aoife laughed in return. "I noticed that." She turned serious. "Beth, what Coraline was or wasn't doesn't matter anymore. What matters is how you two go on from here. Coraline is the past for both of you. She needs to stay there."

"So no advice?" Beth finished her blood and set the glass on the coffee table.

"Just one. Just love him."

"That one's easy." Beth stood to head up to Mick and her suite. She could feel that he was waking up.

"Trust me, Beth. Sometimes it's not." Aoife stood to follow her to the door.

"I never for a second thought it would be. He's so broken." Beth headed towards the stairs.

"We all are in one way or another Beth. Just love him, dear heart."

Beth started climbing the stairs, saying over her shoulder as she did, "That one is a piece of cake, Aoife."

Aoife watched her for another moment, shaking her head as she turned to head back into the study. She smiled as she felt a tickle in her mind. Aoife, can I talk to you later?

Of course, Mick. What's up?

Just need to talk to work through some things

Aoife sat back down in her office chair. Anytime you're ready. I'm in the study.

Thanks, Aoife.

Anytime. I'm always here for you.

Thank you. I'll be down in a little while.

See you then.
A knowing smile graced the elder vampire's lips. Time for the flip side. She moved her mouse and went back to her research.
Last edited by Sumaire on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Through the Eyes of Another (PG)

Post by francis »

:heart: :heart: :heart:
I haven't read the whole story yet, but this glimpse into the relationship of Mick and Coraline through Aoife's eyes and for the sake of Beth is very moving, and really good. Love it.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

This is lovely, Sumaire. I love the relationship Aoife has formed with Beth and how it has continued through the turning, allowing her to provide continued insight and support. You make me think how lucky Mick is to have these two women in his life.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Beautiful, just beautiful!! I love Aoife, she is so good for Beth and Mick, so supportive in the most important ways!!!! :heart: Great one shot!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :Mickangel: :gasp: :devil: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :rose:

mitzie :mooncat:
Sumaire
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Sumaire »

So the two by four came out again. Gotta love the muse. She decided that Mick's side should be written, so here you go.

Usual disclaimers, Mick and Beth aren't mine, but you knew that, I'm just borrowing.

Aoife looked up from her reading as she sensed a very familiar, yet tortured presence standing in the doorway of the study. "Mick, come in please; sit down. What did you need to talk about?"

She motioned for him to sit. He looked around, finally deciding on the deep burgundy wing back chair that sat across from the couch were Aoife was seated.

Aoife set the book she was reading down across her lap. She looked passively at Mick, waiting for him to start. He sat hunched over his arms resting on his thighs, his hands clasped together, looking down at the floor. He took a deep breath and slowly lifted his head to look at his sire. Aoife could sense the mixture of emotions that Beth had been talking about. Beth had been right. The strongest emotion she felt coming from him was disgust. Not at Beth, but with himself.

Mick sighed deeply. "So . . . what are you reading?"

"A book on Irish history. You know it's amazing what gets left out or is completely wrong." Aoife continued to stare passively at him.

"Hmmm. Guess that's what happens when you actually lived through it." Mick leaned back in the chair. He absentmindedly stroked his hand through his hair.

"Very true." Aoife made no effort to help the conversation along.

Mick ran his hand through his hair yet again. "You're not going to make this easy for me, are you?"

"Make what easy, dear heart?" She took the book, closed it and set it on the coffee table. Aoife then stood and padded to the sideboard. She picked up a bottle of single malt scotch and two shot glasses; then headed back to her seat on the couch. She set the glasses down, took the bottle, filled the two glasses and handed one to Mick. He drank the liquid down in one gulp. He held the glass, looking at it with much more curiosity than needed.

"With this conversation."

"Nope. Mick, you wanted to talk . . . so talk."

Mick stood and walked over to the window, placing his hands behind his back. "Why do I feel this way?"

Aoife pulled her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. "Feel like what Mick?"

"Oh, come on. It's not like you can't tell."

"Your right, I can . . . to a point. Why are you feeling this way?"

"I don't know." Mick sighed again and headed back and took a seat opposite of Aoife on the couch. He sat with his back against the the arm of the couch. "I know I shouldn't feel this way, Beth keeps saying that she wanted to join us, that she's fine with everything. So why aren't I okay with it?"

"That's what you have to figure out, Mick. I wasn't there when Coraline turned you, I don't know what happened." Aoife looked at her turn with a mixture of sadness and curiosity in her eyes. Seamus had told her of his turning by Coraline once, but she didn't want to assume that Mick's had been the same way.

"Why would that matter? She's not my sire anymore. YOU are." Mick leaned over and poured himself another shot.

"True. But you have a history with her. A very violent and twisted one. One that is very much tied into how you are feeling now."

Mick felt the tears starting to try to fight their way out. He lifted his head back to try and keep them at bay. "Mick, tell me about your turning and your first days as a fledgling," Aoife prompted softly.

Mick looked back down at Aoife, unshed tears shining in his eyes. "I went to bed a happily married HUMAN man and woke up a mo . . ." He stopped mid word by the look on Aoife's face.

"Stop simplifying things. And no, you are not a monster."

Mick wiped at his eyes angrily. "You weren't there."

"No, I wasn't. Mick, I've been alive almost 677 years now. Do you think that I was a vanilla vampire all of that time? I've made so many miss-steps, bad calls, etc. I can't even count them anymore. Yes, I've done things that I am far from proud of. Some of them out of stupidity but more of them out of necessity or desperation. The will to live overriding common sense sometimes. If I dwelt on them, the things that I can't go back and change; I'd go insane."

"But you don't hate what you are."

"Not now, but there have been times that I would have traded anything not to be a vampire. But I am one. It was a decision that I made 651 years ago, because it was either that or die."

"But you said you were a rape turning."

"I was. Mick rape isn't always because the person doesn't know what's going to happen to them."

"You got to make the choice."

"Oh, yeah. Some choice Aed gave me. Either become a vampire or I kill you."

"You still had the choice."

"Trust me, it didn't seem like much of one at the time. Being a vampire back then was very hard. There weren't such things as freshies, for example” Mick gave her an amused look. She sighed exasperatedly. “Yes, there were plenty of torch bearing mobs.” I'm going to kill Josef.

"At least your sire wasn't a twisted bitch." Mick reached for the tumbler of scotch, pouring himself another glass.

"No, but having Aed as a sire was no easy thing either. He has a very definite evil streak when he wants to. Now back to the original question, what happened the first few days after you were turned?"

Mick took the glass and downed the scotch in one gulp. He set the glass down, stood and started pacing. Aoife watched her turn struggle with his inner demons. How many more will he have to beat down?

Mick finally stopped pacing, now standing in front of the fireplace watching the flames dancing in and out of the wood. "She brought me a female that first morning. I was in so much pain. I begged her to kill me. I didn't know what I wanted, I just knew that I was ravenous. She pushed the girl next to me and the blood lust hit. I just bit. I felt so ashamed, abhorred at myself for what I was doing and how good the blood tasted."

"She didn't' explain any of it to you?"

"No, not at first. She just kept telling me that it would get better. Everything was so . . . I'd forgotten how intense everything is right at first until you re-turned me again."

"So no explanations. Wow, that must have been unnerving."

"I felt so violated, used, lied to, tricked.. The only outlet it seemed that I had was blind rage. Which I took out on helpless, innocent people. Coraline relished in it all. She seemed so . . . relieved. Happy even that I was lashing out." Aoife couldn't help but notice the deep feelings of shame that were starting to bubble to the surface.

“She did keep you from going rouge.”

“Barely. The second night she brought me a . . .” Mick stopped mid sentence; a strangled sob escaped his throat. Aoife put her hand on his shoulder in silent support. When he started again, the words came out in a rush, “she brought me a child, a little girl . . .” Mick looked up at his sire, tears of pain streaming down his cheeks. Aoife could feel the horror at what he had done. In that instant she understood everything. Mick started to hyperventilate. His world started spinning. He reached for the hearth trying to steady himself.

“Mick, what did the little girl look like?” Aoife asked softly.

Another sob escaped Mick's lips. The pain in his eyes was almost more than even the old vampire could bear. “She was about four, blond with blue eyes.” Mick looked away towards the fire again. “I drained her Aoife. Without a second thought, I was so hungry. I hadn't had anything in at least a day and a half. When I realized what I had done I ran from the house. Coraline called Josef to help find me. I met him the next day. I didn't step back into Coraline's house for months.”

“I bet not.” Aoife walked over to the coffee table, picked up her drink, finished it and set the glass down. She stood and glided back over to where Mick still stood. “Mick, Coraline did that to you on purpose. There's your reason.”

“That's not why.” Mick slumped against his arm in defeat.

“Yes it is, dear heart. You've killed a second blond, blue eyed little girl. Except she's not a little girl anymore, Mick. She's an adult that made an informed decision.”

"Great." Mick gave her a grim smile.

"Mick, I'm sorry Coraline was your sire. Some people were never meant to be turned," Aoife paused for effect, "and some vampires should never be sires. You got nailed on both points."

Mick nodded in response. "So how do I deal with my feelings about turning Beth?"

“Realize that you didn't kill a child, you gave the woman you love the thing she wanted the most; to spend eternity with the man she loves.

"I don't know. What if I turn out to be the same kind of sire as Coraline? I just couldn't put Beth through that. She deserves normal. She deserved to stay human."

Aoife turned to look towards the door. She saw Beth standing in the doorway, tears of sadness in her eyes. She motioned for the fledgling to join them.

"Mick, I didn't want to stay human. I wanted eternity."

Mick didn't look up from the fire.”Beth, I killed you.”

Beth walked over to where Mick stood. She pulled his arms down from the hearth and wrapped them around her. “No, you didn't. Coraline did. You gave me what I asked for, a very happy, fulfilling LIFE with you.”

Aoife patted her turn on the shoulder and headed back to the couch. She fell back into it, wiggling around until she got comfortable. “Mick, listen to her. She's fine. You're fine. You're doing a wonderful job. And she's definitely not that little girl.”

“I don't know. . . “ Mick lost himself in Beth's eyes. Beth's response was to giggle and pull him in for a hug.

After a minute or two, Beth pulled herself from Mick's hug, grabbed his hands and headed towards the door. “Come on, old man. You promised to take me hunting in the forest.”

“Oh did he now?” Aoife stifled a chuckle. She couldn't hide the laughter in her eyes.

“Yep” Mick lifted his love's hand to his mouth and gave it a peck. “Go get our jackets, I'll meet you by the back door in a minute.”

Beth smiled and practically skipped through the door to go to their suite.

“Guess I don't have a choice in this do I?” Mick remarked as he watched Beth climb the stairs.

“We all have choices, Mick. Just follow your heart. She did hers”

Mick looked at his sire and gave her one of his patented half-smiles. “Yeah. Man, it sucks being outnumbered.” He stepped through the entry to the study to meet Beth by the door.

Aoife leaned forward and picked up her book. She just couldn't help but wonder how many more demons Mick would have to slay, thanks to Coraline. She sighed and started reading again, glancing up as she heard the door open and close, followed by the sound of laughter drifting in through the window. She sighed and went back to her reading.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Through the Eyes of Another - Now Both POV's (PG)

Post by redwinter101 »

A lovely counterpoint, Sumaire. I love to see Mick and Beth working these things out calmly, slowly, taking their time, making it work.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This is so lovely. For one , because Mick is just as he is in the show, but this time he has to actually talk about his feelings, not in voice-overs that he carefully censors even to himself, but because of Aoife he has to admit his shame. And it explains so well why he is so resilient on not turning or hurting Beth, and why he rescued her in the first place. What an evil woman Coraline was to him.
Sumaire
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Sumaire »

Thank you Francis. You know when I started writing this piece, as usual, I wasn't really sure where the muse would take it. Even I was shocked when the part about feeding on a four year old little girl came out. But it does make sense. You know sometimes I wish that they would have covered more backstory on Coraline and MIck. I just hope that I cover it right.

Again, thank you all for reading and supporting myself and all the other fantastic writers on this site.

Humbly,

Sumaire
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Oh this was just lovely Sumaire. :flowers:

The relationship that Aoife has with both Mick & Beth is played out so beautifully here.

Just lovely. :ysmile:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Sumaire

This is lovely. Micks problems go back to that event.

It was very interesting that Coraline had done the same type of thing before. How interesting that she seems to choose men that will not react well to the Turning. Does it echo something in her own soul?

Questions we have no answers to, but that is what fanfic is for.

Thank you!

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Sumaire's Office”