1977 New York Blackout Part 7 Forgiveness Series

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

1977 New York Blackout Part 7 Forgiveness Series

Post by cassysj »

I do not own any recognizable characters no copyright infringement is intended. Author's note. I think I will fill in the blanks on Christmas 1963 sometime in the future but this was the next segment I had done.

July 13, 1977 New York City Blackout

6:31P California time

Ring!

"Hello. Sarah said.

"Sarah it’s Mother. The power is out.

"In the building?

"No the whole block, The radio says it’s another blackout.

"Do you have candles, batteries? Sarah asked

"Yes.

"All right. You must be so hot! Call me every couple of hours and let me know you’re okay.

"But sweetie it’s late I was going to bed in an hour or so.

"Mother, I’ll be awake. I’m a night person, remember?

"All right. I’ll talk to you soon.

Charles opened the front door.

"Charles, There’s a blackout in New York!

"Is your mother all right?

"Yes, but I have a bad feeling about this.

"Do you want me to call Hope and have her stay with your mother?

"Please. Tell Hope I’d really appreciate it. This is when I hate being across the country.

"Let me call her.

Thirty minutes later.

Hope is standing outside Anne Whitley’s apartment building.

"Mrs. Whitley, it’s Hope Scanlon.

"Hope?? Come in. What are you doing in New York?

"I moved back a few months ago. I run Charles’ New York office now.

"Good for you. Charles is lucky to have you work for him.

"Sarah and Charles didn’t want you to be alone.

"I’m glad. It’s scary, the radio is talking about rioting and theft." Anne said

No one will get past me. Hope said.

Three hours later.

Hope smelled vampires approaching the house. "Mrs. Whitley, I need you to hide in a closet, don’t come out unless I say all clear."

Two vampires broke in and are stunned to see Hope. She stakes one of them and after a loud scuffle takes the other one's head.

"Anne, come out. We're calling Charles." She dialed as quickly as possible.

"Charles, it's me."

"Hope what’s wrong?" Charles asked.

"Charles, there’s a code three at your mother-in-law’s house. Both down, one dead."

"Hope can you get out of the city?

"I can’t drive till morning the traffic lights don’t work.

"On foot? Charles asked.

"Your mother-in-law is 65.

"Hope, keep her safe. The blackout is only in NY. Get her to Philadelphia and on a plane to LA."

"Okay, I’ll handle it. What should I say to her?

"Take what she can carry.

"Understood.

"Mrs. Whitley, you may not be back here for a while. Take anything important that you can carry.

"Hope, were those vampires or thieves?"

Hope hesitated. "Vampires.

"Charles is going to relocate me isn’t he?"

"That would be my guess. "Mrs. Whitley the sun will be up in about two hours. We’re going to have to walk to my place. It’s about 30 blocks. Can you do that?"

"I don’t have a choice. Do we have to run?

"I don’t think there will be more vampire attacks after sunrise."

"So if we get through the next couple of hours we should be okay?

Hope nodded. "Yes."

"Are you hungry Hope?

"Excuse me?

Hungry? The fight must have tired you.

Hope was curious "Do you keep blood in the house?

"I do have a bag of O+ from Sarah’s last visit. It’s a couple of weeks old and the refrigerator’s been out for five hours but you can have it.

"I would appreciate it."

It took over an hour to get to Hope's car. It took four hours to get to New Jersey because of the lack of traffic lights. As soon as they got out of the state they were able to start moving. Hope put her on the first flight to LA from Philadelphia. By that time she heard most power had been restored in New York and she had to take care of the bodies on Mrs. Whitley’s floor.

When Anne’s plane landed at LAX Sarah and Charles were there to meet her.

Sarah ran over to her mother and hugged her fiercely. Almost as fiercely as she did their first meeting in 1961.

"Sarah, I’m okay, not so tight.

"Mother, I was scared out of my mind!

Charles came over and gave her a quick hug. " Anne, I’m sure you’ve had better days."

"I have Charles.

"Let’s get to the car so we can talk."

Charles paused. "Anne, I had a talk with you almost 17 years ago do you remember it?

She sighed. "Where am I moving to Charles?

"Los Angeles.

Anne frowned "I don’t know how to drive.

"I’ll hire you a driver."

"Can I have my own apartment? Anne asked

"Mother, don’t you want to live with us?

"I want my independence.

"Charles, tell her she’s living with us.

"Anne you’re staying with us for the immediate future.

"But in a couple of months after I send for some of my things, I can get my own place. Can’t I Charles?" Anne pleaded

Sarah glares at her husband.

Charles smiled. "Anne, I don’t mind if you live with us or get your own place. Your daughter has a definite opinion so the two of you will have to work it out.

"Charles, my mother was almost killed. Sarah yelled. She does not have a choice. She has to obey us.

"Good luck with that Sarah. Charles mumbled.

"Now just one minute. Anne was furious." I made an agreement with Charles to move if it was dangerous but that does not give you the right to take that tone with me young lady. I’m still your mother.

"Of course you are that’s why…

If I wasn’t so tired I’d get my hairbrush and put you over my knee.

"You tell her Anne. Charles said.

"Mother, I love you. I want you to be safe.

"I know that but if I don’t have my own space I’ll feel old and in the way." Anne said.

"Mother, it’s not like that you have to…….

"I’ll get a place very near. Anne said sweetly.

"Mother, that’s not……

"You and Charles can have final say over the place.

"Mother……

"If I get sick and have to live with you some day I won’t argue."

Mot…

Sarah looks at her husband. "What are you laughing at?

"Sarah I tried to tell her 17 years ago what she could and could not do. This is very entertaining for me."

"Charles I always listened to you. Anne said indignantly.

"That’s true you did listen. You didn’t always obey.

When didn’t she obey you? Sarah asked.

"I’m not saying a word. You’re already in trouble, I’m not going to make her mad.

"You’re a good boy Charles.

Thank you Anne.

They pulled up to the house.

"Sarah I’m very tired could you just show me to my room?

"Don’t you want to eat first? Sarah asked.

"I ate on the plane. I didn’t sleep at all last night.

All right, I’ll take you upstairs.

Five minutes later.

"Is she already asleep? Charles asked.

"She was out before her head hit the pillow. Charles I thought you agreed with me that Mother should live with us.

"I do and I would prefer it but if she doesn’t want to I don’t think we should force it."

"Tomorrow, I’m going to insist. She has to understand we are going to keep her safe.

"Then tomorrow I’m buying your mother a silver hairbrush to keep you in line.

"I may never sit comfortably again but if that’s the price for protecting my mother I can live with it.

Charles sighed "Sarah I understand wanting to keep the ones you love safe. I’ve learned in my long life there is a thin line between safety and suffocation.

"Charles she won’t be a prisoner.

"Just don’t dig your heels in tomorrow. Have a nice visit, let her relax get comfortable. She’s not going anywhere for a while. Maybe she’ll lose interest in getting her own place but she won’t if you forbid it."
Last edited by cassysj on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 1977 New York Blackout Part 7 Forgiveness Series

Post by francis »

There is a great dynamic in this story, Anne and Sarah equally strong women, and Josef a strong man. But Josef had 350+ years to learn about what you can and what you can't do in a relationship. Sarah will learn, too.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

It's not easy for Sarah just like it's not easy for any of us when our parents get older. These strong women will have to work it out.
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

It is so nice to see Hope with a different opinion of humans - maybe it's because Anne's the mother of Josef's wife...but it is VERY nice to see how caring she can be. And Anne to be (relatively) accepting of vampire customs & such.

And these lines cracked me up:
Tomorrow, I’m going to insist. She has to understand we are going to keep her safe.

Then tomorrow I’m buying your mother a silver hairbrush to keep you in line.

I may never sit comfortably again but if that’s the price for protecting my mother I can live with it.
:snicker: :snicker: :snicker:
There are times you do NOT cross your mother - even if you ARE a vampire & very strong

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Hope can be very nice and unlike her behavior in my other stories she can remember Mrs. Whitley's name. (Probably because she's not a freshie) :snicker: Hope is devoted to Charles and that branches off to Sarah which leads to Sarah's mother.
Tomorrow, I’m going to insist. She has to understand we are going to keep her safe.

Then tomorrow I’m buying your mother a silver hairbrush to keep you in line.

I may never sit comfortably again but if that’s the price for protecting my mother I can live with it.

There are times you do NOT cross your mother - even if you ARE a vampire & very strong

Absolutely, that is the essence of this story. It doesn't matter that Sarah is a vampire, Anne doesn't stop being her mother and Sarah doesn't stop being the daughter.
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Great chapter!! This story is a great psychological study of everyone; Love it and can't wait for more... :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :cheer: :gasp: :devil: :slappy: :seesaw: :evillaugh: :yes: :no: :juggle: :seesaw: :fingerscrossed: :clover: :whistle: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :hyper2:

mitzie :mooncat:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

mitzie - Thank you! I love to see you comment. I'm glad you're enjoying this little stop off the "canon" path.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Giving this a bump. Today is the anniversary of the 2003 NYC Blackout. I was 8 years old when the Blackout of 77 happened. I remember being at the supermarket with my brother, he drove us to Staten Island for cheaper prices. We had just gotten home and put the TV on and CPO Sharkey with Don Rickles was on. The power went out and I was terrified. My mother had lived through the blackout of 1965 but that was different. It was winter not summer, NY was more dangerous in the 70's as a matter of course. We sat on the front stoop till after midnight then went into bed. I remember being terrified The Son of Sam serial killer was in the news I remember being afraid that with the lights out there would be more bad things happening. Power was back on the next morning.

Then fast forward to the blackout of 2003. Less than 2 years after 9/11 we thought terrorists had brought down the powergrid. Power was out in my neighborhood from 4P till about 5A, the city was not completely restored till 6P the next day. But back then I had battery powered television so I could see the news. Now with digital they don't work and once my phone dies where am I? Also I won't have my wifi. My over active imagination will take me to the world of Revolution. At 8 I was afraid the power wouldn't be back at 49 I'd be terror stricken.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

This is a wonderful story! And it shows that Sarah's mother loved Josef in stark comparison to Mr. Whitely who did not.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love this story. Not only does it develop the story between Josef, Sarah, and Anne, it brings up something that is very relevant to today's news. With the recent reports that our power grid may be compromised, we have to face the fact that blackouts could very well be a reality of our daily lives. I've got some batteries with USB connections, so I could keep my phone going for a while, but what if the cell networks went down?! :chair: We may all need a vampire or two to guard us. :Mickangel: :swords: :mob:

Return to “Forgiveness”