Whiteout - links, news, discussion (new vids p.14/15)

Locked Alex threads are here.
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Re: Whiteout - links, news, discussion (new vids p.14/15)

Post by Josefismysire »

Thanks for the honest assessment, ash. It comes as no surprise that Alex is the best part of the movie..he usually is! :thumbs:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Alle, this is such a great photo! Even when we can't see you. It shows how attentive he is, how calmly he deals with his fans, and how much they love him.

Though I want to caption this:
"Alex was careful not to crush the head of his Allegrita doll (the one he just had to take along to the premiere) while signing autographs." :snicker:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

ash~~Thanks so much for your honest assessment. I am so picky about the films that I see, and limited in time to see them, that perhaps I may wait a while to see this. Then again, it's so difficult to pass up seeing Alex on the big screen.....
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Sigh.... :sadface: I was hoping the reviewers were being picky, but based on what you guys have said, I'm lowering my expectations. I'm going to leave in a few minutes to go see it anyway. Be back in a couple of hours.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
ash
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Trying juggle, homework, uni, a social life, rp and writing things that get stuck in my head. Tough

Post by ash »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:ash~~Thanks so much for your honest assessment. I am so picky about the films that I see, and limited in time to see them, that perhaps I may wait a while to see this. Then again, it's so difficult to pass up seeing Alex on the big screen.....

You aren'y frying me! Yay! :hug: :snicker: It IS kinda worth it. JUst think...birthday suit Alex! who btw is the second man out the door. He is purrty 30 feet high
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Ari and Ash... THANK YOU LADIES!!!!!! :hearts: :hearts:

Realistic reviews... but respectful of our utterly out-of-hand obsession! :rolling: You girls rock.

And I'm so jealous y'all've already seen the show... I won't get to it until next week... hope it's still OUT by next week!!!!!!! :giggle:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Post by Josefismysire »

Just when you think Alex could not possibly get any nicer, any sweeter, any more humble, any handsomer....you get this. :melts: :melts:

He is frikking incredible..WHAT A GUY! :thud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp1WMTa5ReE
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

You know, just when I don't think I can adore this man more...he does something else to make it happen.

Thanks for that, JIMS! :smooch:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Post by Josefismysire »

PNWgal wrote:You know, just when I don't think I can adore this man more...he does something else to make it happen.

My pleasure. And it is absolutely my pleasure to call myself an Alex O'Loughlin fan. He is so worthy of all the success and admiration he receives. :notworthy: :notworthy:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Josefismysire wrote:
PNWgal wrote:You know, just when I don't think I can adore this man more...he does something else to make it happen.

My pleasure. And it is absolutely my pleasure to call myself an Alex O'Loughlin fan. He is so worthy of all the success and admiration he receives. :notworthy: :notworthy:
sigh...what you both said.....

thanks for this JIMS!!
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Isn't he just the greatest? :heart:
*Christy*

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

OK, back from the show....maybe I lowered my expectations too much. For the first showing of Whiteout in my local theatre, there were less than a dozen people there, with yours truly being the youngest by about 10 years or so (and I'm old enough to be Alex's mother!!). My first reaction was why were these people here? What was their attraction? No idea, but they all stayed til the end.

All in all, it wasn't as bad as I feared, and for $6.50, I've seen a lot worse. This is the calibre of movie, though, that I'd normally wait for it to come on cable or out on DVD....

The cinematography was beautiful, the story ok, but once they brought the first body back, I knew who the bad guys were
Spoiler:
the look between the two bad guys exchanged as the body was wheeled in was supposed to be subtle. It wasn't.
But this is definitely a Kate Beckinsale show. Everyone else is supporting. And Tom Skerritt is wonderful.

While Alex does play a cheeky Aussie, there is one wonderful moment when he is being particularly bad, and the evil smile that crosses his face is most convincing.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh I LOVE an Alex evil smile... thank you SO much, Dark!

And JIMS... that vid is fab... Thank you hoeny! And that girl has him sign one of Red's favorite pics! Seems that he likes it too!
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
ash
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Trying juggle, homework, uni, a social life, rp and writing things that get stuck in my head. Tough

Post by ash »

hehe. Yes...the smile....god it is good when he is
Spoiler:
BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I just got back from the theatre - and mostly agree with ash and dsr.

Now we know why the film been in the can for so long - opening credits, "Supervising Editor, Stuart Baird". Baird is a seriously kickass action director - so presumably he was brought in to re-edit to try to improve the end product.

Given that my expectations were LOW, like dsr I was rather pleasantly surprised. The film's OK. But just OK. It's not the worst 100 minutes I've spent in a cinema by a long stretch.

I completely agree about the scenery and cinematography being stunning - it is. And for someone who isn't really a Kate Beckinsale fan, I thought she was fine, although her preternaturally undisturbed hair, er, disturbed me. The film is ALL about her. None of the other characters get much screen time and therefore little character development, which is a shame as Columbus Short, Gabriel Macht and Tom Skerritt were all good with what little they were given to do.

My biggest problem was the complete lack of tension. You've got Antartica; impending 6-month whiteout; bodies mounting; no-one know who to trust; HOW can you not build tension with all that? Somehow Dominic Sena manages it. It was pretty obvious, even by a process of elimination, who the culprits were:
Spoiler:
we actually find out quite early on that Alex's character is involved in at least one murder
And the thing they were all killing each other over was pretty cool - but still, ultimately, I didn't care half as much as I should have.

As for Alex, well, I'm a very happy girl purely because I finally got to see him on a big screen. He definitely has presence, but, like everyone else, really doesn't have much to do, although the corridor scene (from which the cap with the tats comes) is DIVINE. If you haven't been yet, keep watching him when the focus shifts to Carrie - he's leaning one arm up against the wall, wearing only a towel (but wearing it well :whistle: ) and he just smirks in such a wonderful way I almost squeed. The only thing stopping me was that there were only 5 other people in the cinema and it would have been a little obvious. He does have a few other noteworthy scenes - including one really good fight scene (with another fantastic smirk :snicker: ) so for me, it was worth it. (And it costs £8.50, which is about $13 to go see a movie here, so...).

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “The Alex Archives”