Family Reunion. (challenge #106 with co-author Grace) PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Family Reunion. (challenge #106 with co-author Grace) PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

I do like seeing so much more depth in Lance. (Okay, I have to get this off my chest...I so cringe every time I see French Coraline having a brother with the decidedly non-French name "Lance". I know, I know, it's canon, what are you going to do? Nevertheless...) Anyway, name aside, he had the potential to be a far more complex character than his brief appearance allowed.

And fleshing out this sort of character is exactly what is so great about fanfic!

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooh--beautiful job, Phoenix, and I'm so glad grace gave you this story idea! I think it works perfectly within the Josef/Emma universe, and you've fit it into the (admittedly weird) canon of the last four episodes.

In the show, Mick was so obviously ambivalent about Coraline, even before we met her--he was fascinated by her and repelled by her, often at the same time. You could tell how much he loved her and how much he struggled with that as his relationship with Beth began to grow closer and deeper. He fought to save her, both as a vampire and as a temporary human--but he didn't try to rescue her. Why didn't Mick rescue Coraline?

I can only think of two reasons for his inaction. First, he began seriously pursuing his relationship with Beth, and Beth hated and feared Coraline. I can well imagine that Mick flinched from the very idea of breaking the news to Beth that he wanted to go to France and rescue Beth's childhood monster.

Second, Josef was obviously scared of the DuValls. Anybody who scares Josef is a force to be reckoned with, and perhaps Mick used that as an excuse not to overcome his inertia regarding a rescue attempt.

However, Mick's indecision and failure to act don't mean he didn't care. He must have been tortured with guilt about Coraline, whether he showed that guilt to Beth or not. And in this story, you give that guilt a face. Lance's face. Lance has his own share of guilt, but I like what Phoenix said--Lance and Coraline really are like siblings who won't let anybody else pick on each other...but who gleefully perpetrate the worst abuses themselves.

You've given Lance depth, while maintaining his stylishness, his prissy aristocratic quality, and his true menace. He has his own set of regrets, but he'll be damned if he'll let Mick see them. And he views himself as a mentor of sorts for Mick--if Mick is smart enough (by Lance's view) to allow him to be. Mick is strong, but he's young and headstrong. I'm sure Lance views Mick's relationship with Josef and thinks, "I could do that better..."

Ooooh--it just gives me chills! Wonderful job, ladies.
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

I wish I could have seen this in the show! Absolutely stunning!! :bmoon: Thank you for giving me a view of the real Lance with feelings and ambiguities!!!! :clapping: I never did understand why Mick didn't try to rescue Coraline??!! :dizzy: The pain that Mick feels at the end says it all!! I love this gem, it was beautifully done and simply dazzling!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hankie: :Mickangel: :gasp: :devil: :seesaw: :swords: :scarycat: :phew: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper: :hyper: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :worship: :hyper2: :hyper2: :thanks: Phoenix and Grace!!!! :thud:

mitzie :mooncat:
seamus3333
Freelance freshie

Post by seamus3333 »

What a wonderful scene! Why do you say, "if there had been a second season" ? This is a second season, more depth to the characters, better dialogue, more intensity in the plot and the reader has no problem seeing and hearing what is said and done. I return to you wonderful writers every day (OK, three or four times a day) to see what's new in Moonlight world. Don't even care if it's Friday or not. Thank you, ladies.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

NocturneInCMoll wrote:Wow...well, I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said. Boy...if Mind Games were an Olympic sport, the DuValls would get gold every time. Lance even had me feeling a little sorry for Coraline (though I don't trust him still...or Coraline). Mostly I felt for Mick, all the anguish and guilt this must be bringing him.

Brava, ladies. :clapping:
Thank you, NiCMoll. :smooch: Yes, the DuValls certainly know how to push buttons. :bmoon:
wpgrace wrote:
NocturneInCMoll wrote:Wow...well, I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said. Boy...if Mind Games were an Olympic sport, the DuValls would get gold every time. Lance even had me feeling a little sorry for Coraline (though I don't trust him still...or Coraline). Mostly I felt for Mick, all the anguish and guilt this must be bringing him.

Brava, ladies. :clapping:

The fic and the words are all Phee... just the idea is mine. And I, too, am all about Mick, Nocturne. As is Phoenix... we are definite MickChicks! But I felt him ignoring Cora's sacrifice, after she gave him the cure of all things, was just not being true to himself. Phee did a wonderful job starting him, and us, pondering that decision... We didn't try to say WHY he didn't go save her... but it starts the thinking anyway...

And yes, the DuValls seemed pretty adept at mind games, for true. I liked that. They were intelligent, and beautiful, villains.
Nah, nah, nah, Grace. :noway: You're not supposed to say it like that! You're supposed to say, "The idea was ALL MINE!" :hyper: It was a joint effort. :friends:
librarian_7 wrote:I do like seeing so much more depth in Lance. (Okay, I have to get this off my chest...I so cringe every time I see French Coraline having a brother with the decidedly non-French name "Lance". I know, I know, it's canon, what are you going to do? Nevertheless...) Anyway, name aside, he had the potential to be a far more complex character than his brief appearance allowed.

And fleshing out this sort of character is exactly what is so great about fanfic!

Lucky
Thanks, Lucky. :hug: Names not withstanding, I thought Lance was presented as quite complex anyway. He seemed to have his own set of morals that he adhered to...
allegrita wrote:Ooh--beautiful job, Phoenix, and I'm so glad grace gave you this story idea! I think it works perfectly within the Josef/Emma universe, and you've fit it into the (admittedly weird) canon of the last four episodes.

In the show, Mick was so obviously ambivalent about Coraline, even before we met her--he was fascinated by her and repelled by her, often at the same time. You could tell how much he loved her and how much he struggled with that as his relationship with Beth began to grow closer and deeper. He fought to save her, both as a vampire and as a temporary human--but he didn't try to rescue her. Why didn't Mick rescue Coraline?

I can only think of two reasons for his inaction. First, he began seriously pursuing his relationship with Beth, and Beth hated and feared Coraline. I can well imagine that Mick flinched from the very idea of breaking the news to Beth that he wanted to go to France and rescue Beth's childhood monster.

Second, Josef was obviously scared of the DuValls. Anybody who scares Josef is a force to be reckoned with, and perhaps Mick used that as an excuse not to overcome his inertia regarding a rescue attempt.

However, Mick's indecision and failure to act don't mean he didn't care. He must have been tortured with guilt about Coraline, whether he showed that guilt to Beth or not. And in this story, you give that guilt a face. Lance's face. Lance has his own share of guilt, but I like what Phoenix said--Lance and Coraline really are like siblings who won't let anybody else pick on each other...but who gleefully perpetrate the worst abuses themselves.

You've given Lance depth, while maintaining his stylishness, his prissy aristocratic quality, and his true menace. He has his own set of regrets, but he'll be damned if he'll let Mick see them. And he views himself as a mentor of sorts for Mick--if Mick is smart enough (by Lance's view) to allow him to be. Mick is strong, but he's young and headstrong. I'm sure Lance views Mick's relationship with Josef and thinks, "I could do that better..."

Ooooh--it just gives me chills! Wonderful job, ladies.
Thank you, Alle. :hug:

While I agree that Mick was ambivalent about Coraline, I think the only reason Mick didn't go after Coraline was the same reason that Josh was murdered - to clear the way for Mick & Beth. (The last four eps were just too forced and weird - but they happened so we are stuck with them.) The Mick I adore - the one who risked his life to protect Coraline, after she'd given him the cure - would have gone after Coraline whether he was scared or not.

And Lance, with his twisted sense of family loyalty, did accept Mick in the end. I do believe he saw Mick as someone who could be worthy of his respect. A potential protege. (Heaven help Mick!)
mitzie wrote:I wish I could have seen this in the show! Absolutely stunning!! :bmoon: Thank you for giving me a view of the real Lance with feelings and ambiguities!!!! :clapping: I never did understand why Mick didn't try to rescue Coraline??!! :dizzy: The pain that Mick feels at the end says it all!! I love this gem, it was beautifully done and simply dazzling!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hankie: :Mickangel: :gasp: :devil: :seesaw: :swords: :scarycat: :phew: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper: :hyper: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :worship: :hyper2: :hyper2: :thanks: Phoenix and Grace!!!! :thud:

mitzie :mooncat:
Thanks, Mitzie. :rose: :hug: :hearts: :smooch: :cheer:
seamus3333 wrote:What a wonderful scene! Why do you say, "if there had been a second season" ? This is a second season, more depth to the characters, better dialogue, more intensity in the plot and the reader has no problem seeing and hearing what is said and done. I return to you wonderful writers every day (OK, three or four times a day) to see what's new in Moonlight world. Don't even care if it's Friday or not. Thank you, ladies.
Thank you, seamus. :hug: Thank you so much.
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Phoenix wrote: Thank you, Alle. :hug:

While I agree that Mick was ambivalent about Coraline, I think the only reason Mick didn't go after Coraline was the same reason that Josh was murdered - to clear the way for Mick & Beth. (The last four eps were just too forced and weird - but they happened so we are stuck with them.) The Mick I adore - the one who risked his life to protect Coraline, after she'd given him the cure - would have gone after Coraline whether he was scared or not.
Oh, I agree. I'm just trying to work it into the canon of the show. It's a bit of a fanwank, I must say... but that's part of the fun.
Phoenix wrote: And Lance, with his twisted sense of family loyalty, did accept Mick in the end. I do believe he saw Mick as someone who could be worthy of his respect. A potential protege. (Heaven help Mick!)
Yep... definitely. Lance welcomed Mick to the family in TMC, and that's why I loved the way you brought him back... to ask Mick his intentions, and to remind him that, like it or not, he was a member of the family.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

allegrita wrote:
Phoenix wrote: Thank you, Alle. :hug:

Oh, I agree. I'm just trying to work it into the canon of the show. It's a bit of a fanwank, I must say... but that's part of the fun.
Phoenix wrote: And Lance, with his twisted sense of family loyalty, did accept Mick in the end. I do believe he saw Mick as someone who could be worthy of his respect. A potential protege. (Heaven help Mick!)
Yep... definitely. Lance welcomed Mick to the family in TMC, and that's why I loved the way you brought him back... to ask Mick his intentions, and to remind him that, like it or not, he was a member of the family.
It's ridiculously late :yawn: but I just have to respond before I hit the freezer. Some time ago, I came to the conclusion that my head would explode :dizzy: if I kept trying to work out why Mick abandoned Coraline the way he did. (So I just gave up...) :giveup: Consequently, when Grace suggested the scene, the first thing I asked myself was how could I explain the inexplicable. :confused2:

Mick may not want to be part of the DuVall family - and I don't blame him at all for that - but they are family. :eek2:

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

Ohhhhh so many comments. First thanks ladies for a great story. Phee your writing brought Lance more alive than even the show writers we able to do so thank you for that. And of course, thanks to Grace for the idea, the plot, the spark that starting Phee down this wonderful path. Seamus is right, this is in many respects a better season two than we might have gotten had the writers gone off with werewolves and procedurals and non-ML stuff. And Lucky, Lance also stuck in my craw until I came to the conclusion that the name must be a nick-name. Something like the 'Red Knight' or 'One-Armed Johnny'. I know this is silly but it helps me get by the obvious issue of a non-French name. So temporarily until the story is written Lance refers to his unparalleled skill in a duel, or perhaps he is a nasty and evil sort when using the gentlemans weapons of his time. I'm sure there is a fic in that story-line. Anyway, congratulation ladies, great story. :rose: :rose:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Phoenix wrote: It's ridiculously late :yawn: but I just have to respond before I hit the freezer. Some time ago, I came to the conclusion that my head would explode :dizzy: if I kept trying to work out why Mick abandoned Coraline the way he did. (So I just gave up...) :giveup: Consequently, when Grace suggested the scene, the first thing I asked myself was how could I explain the inexplicable. :confused2:

Mick may not want to be part of the DuVall family - and I don't blame him at all for that - but they are family. :eek2:

And you finessed that beautifully Phee... why DID he abandon her? I cannot imagine a GOOD reason. And it's not cause "Beth is his future". Not a good reason for Mick to abandon a damsel in distress. Not OUR Mick. For however one may think of Cora, the show itself made plain that he had some feelings for her... whether you believe SHE deserved them or not, that is the way MICK is. He is loyal and a white knight. That is why we love him. So no way would he have abandoned his wife or ex-wife, and no way would he have abandoned the woman who had just given him the cure. And no way would he abandon a damsel in distress... whoever the damsel. THAT IS NOT MICK.

So what Phee did here so brilliantly, besides bringing Lance into gorgeous 3-D bloom and, as always, spotlight our beloved Mick, fully in-character, is she finessed the WHY he did the unexplainable and concentrated on the results of that (in)action. Cora suffered because Lance took her back and she stole the cure; she suffered WORSE because Mick didn't plead for her with their Sire, and because she KNEW he didn't come for her... she suffered physically and emotionally WORSE because of what Mick did NOT do... not just because of what she and Lance DID do. And Lance was the bearer of that news... yet he kinda likes Mick... I thought he did in the show too. He never really hurt Mick and seemed genuinely to respect him... in his aristocratic way. Phee did a marvelous job representing both men, and noting both of their strengths... and BOTH of their faults.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Interesting piece, Grace and Phee.
Lance toying with his brother-in-law. His power is not only in his physical strength, he plays Mick's emotions so easily. We see Mick does feel bad on some level, but can we trust anything Lance (or any DuVall) says? They seem to twist Mick up at every turn. Lance twists the knife on Mick for not going to save Coraline when he delivered her to that hell himself. So either Lance really has no scruples or he is not as powerful as he lets on. Somehow, Mick doesn't see that part. He only sees his part in this. Interesting. I always liked Lance's character. It is nice to see a villan with dimension.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

bluedahlia3 wrote:Ohhhhh so many comments. First thanks ladies for a great story. Phee your writing brought Lance more alive than even the show writers we able to do so thank you for that. And of course, thanks to Grace for the idea, the plot, the spark that starting Phee down this wonderful path. Seamus is right, this is in many respects a better season two than we might have gotten had the writers gone off with werewolves and procedurals and non-ML stuff. And Lucky, Lance also stuck in my craw until I came to the conclusion that the name must be a nick-name. Something like the 'Red Knight' or 'One-Armed Johnny'. I know this is silly but it helps me get by the obvious issue of a non-French name. So temporarily until the story is written Lance refers to his unparalleled skill in a duel, or perhaps he is a nasty and evil sort when using the gentlemans weapons of his time. I'm sure there is a fic in that story-line. Anyway, congratulation ladies, great story. :rose: :rose:
Thank you, bluedahlia. :hug:

As for the name issue, I tell myself that Lance's real name is probably Pierre-Luc or something, and that Lance is just a name he's using for a decade or two. :whistle:
wpgrace wrote:
Phoenix wrote: It's ridiculously late :yawn: but I just have to respond before I hit the freezer. Some time ago, I came to the conclusion that my head would explode :dizzy: if I kept trying to work out why Mick abandoned Coraline the way he did. (So I just gave up...) :giveup: Consequently, when Grace suggested the scene, the first thing I asked myself was how could I explain the inexplicable. :confused2:

And you finessed that beautifully Phee... why DID he abandon her? I cannot imagine a GOOD reason. And it's not cause "Beth is his future". Not a good reason for Mick to abandon a damsel in distress. Not OUR Mick. For however one may think of Cora, the show itself made plain that he had some feelings for her... whether you believe SHE deserved them or not, that is the way MICK is. He is loyal and a white knight. That is why we love him. So no way would he have abandoned his wife or ex-wife, and no way would he have abandoned the woman who had just given him the cure. And no way would he abandon a damsel in distress... whoever the damsel. THAT IS NOT MICK.

So what Phee did here so brilliantly, besides bringing Lance into gorgeous 3-D bloom and, as always, spotlight our beloved Mick, fully in-character, is she finessed the WHY he did the unexplainable and concentrated on the results of that (in)action. Cora suffered because Lance took her back and she stole the cure; she suffered WORSE because Mick didn't plead for her with their Sire, and because she KNEW he didn't come for her... she suffered physically and emotionally WORSE because of what Mick did NOT do... not just because of what she and Lance DID do. And Lance was the bearer of that news... yet he kinda likes Mick... I thought he did in the show too. He never really hurt Mick and seemed genuinely to respect him... in his aristocratic way. Phee did a marvelous job representing both men, and noting both of their strengths... and BOTH of their faults.
*loves Grace*

While writing, it occurred to me that perhaps if Mick had shown up to find Coraline - and thus proven to the DuVall family that he is a brave and honorable man / vampire - that just maybe Coraline's punishment would have been lessened. As ruthless as Lance is, he does seem to follow some kind of moral code. He could have killed Mick without breaking a sweat, but he didn't. Thank Bob. :phew:
nutmegger911 wrote:Interesting piece, Grace and Phee.
Lance toying with his brother-in-law. His power is not only in his physical strength, he plays Mick's emotions so easily. We see Mick does feel bad on some level, but can we trust anything Lance (or any DuVall) says? They seem to twist Mick up at every turn. Lance twists the knife on Mick for not going to save Coraline when he delivered her to that hell himself. So either Lance really has no scruples or he is not as powerful as he lets on. Somehow, Mick doesn't see that part. He only sees his part in this. Interesting. I always liked Lance's character. It is nice to see a villan with dimension.
Thanks, NM. :hug:

I think Lance saw it as his right / duty to ensure that Coraline was punished for her crimes against the family. Lance lives by his own moral code, and he is, after all, a spoiled aristocrat at heart. He is an alpha-male vampire from a powerful family, and he has more money than god. On so many levels he lives beyond any kind of society we can relate to. And remember, we saw Lance regenerate from being burned; his physical power must be immense. Plus, he's the only vampire we ever saw best Mick in every encounter.

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Phoenix wrote:
As for the name issue, I tell myself that Lance's real name is probably Pierre-Luc or something, and that Lance is just a name he's using for a decade or two. :whistle:

*loves Grace*

While writing, it occurred to me that perhaps if Mick had shown up to find Coraline - and thus proven to the DuVall family that he is a brave and honorable man / vampire - that just maybe Coraline's punishment would have been lessened. As ruthless as Lance is, he does seem to follow some kind of moral code. He could have killed Mick without breaking a sweat, but he didn't. Thank Bob. :phew:

I think Lance saw it as his right / duty to ensure that Coraline was punished for her crimes against the family. Lance lives by his own moral code, and he is, after all, a spoiled aristocrat at heart. He is an alpha-male vampire from a powerful family, and he has more money than god. On so many levels he lives beyond any kind of society we can relate to. And remember, we saw Lance regenerate from being burned; his physical power must be immense. Plus, he's the only vampire we ever saw best Mick in every encounter.
I love hearing your analysis of Brother Lance... and so agree. He did NOT see himself as a villain, nor does he probably think of himself as spoiled, tho we certainly do.

For him, this is about his duty to his family, which he clearly strongly believes in... thus there is great weight and meaning in his comment to Mick at the end of TMC, "welcome to the family." AND it is about survival. He AND his family would NOT have survived all the centuries without that instinct and that sense of right-to-survive. I am not sure Josef is all that different, tho Josef was blessed with a more convivial personality.

And for the record... *loves Phee back* ... and her little story too! :heart:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Emma-lee
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Emma-lee »

Masterfully done ladies. I must say i hate Lance more and more. Though he was right in one thing. Emma is a beautiful bride. :snicker:

Wonderful banner by Redwinter101, Avatar by Jen.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Emma-lee wrote:Masterfully done ladies. I must say i hate Lance more and more. Though he was right in one thing. Emma is a beautiful bride. :snicker:
Thanks, Emma-lee. :hug:

Lance is terrifying ... even more than Shepard, to my mind. :? Perhaps because Lance has been around so long and he's such an expert in spotting a point of vulnerability. And thank you for always being so gracious about Emma. :biggrin:

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

wow grace and Phee, that was awesome! Such powerful emotions portrayed with simple, yet elegant prose. This is a major piece, Phoenix. You both should be proud.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks

Return to “Family Values ~ Coraline, Lance & Mick”