Vigil (PG-13)

A place for Barnabas' G to PG-13 stories.
Barnabas
Kostan Industries intern

Vigil (PG-13)

Post by Barnabas »

(I don't own Moonlight or its characters - I just have fun with 'em)

Vigil

Mick sat in the chair at Beth’s bedside. The doctor had been in earlier in the day, and had told him Beth probably wouldn’t last the night. The IV that had been providing her with nutrition had been disconnected two days ago by the hospice staff. At 84, Beth had not been much more than skin and bones before the cancer. Now the contour of her frail body barely broke the line of the crisp, white sheet that covered it.

Mick watched the rise and fall of Beth’s slight chest and counted the seconds between her ragged, rasping breaths, trying to tell whether they were growing further apart. He wondered with each exhalation whether it might be her last. A cool washcloth rested on Beth’s forehead. Her gray hair was damp. He stroked Beth’s hand. It felt like twigs covered with onion paper.

Beth hadn’t moved voluntarily for two days, so Mick was taken aback when she opened her eyes and slowly turned her head toward him. She smiled weakly through cracked lips and appeared to say something, although Mick could not hear her. He smiled back at her and leaned forward, placing his ear next to Beth’s mouth. “I love you,” she whispered. Mick turned his head and whispered “I love you, too,” into Beth’s ear, a tear rolling off his cheek and falling onto her pillow. “Rest now,” he said. Beth nodded almost imperceptibly.

Suddenly she squeezed her eyes shut, her thin smile replaced by a grimace. “What is it?” Mick asked. He understood Beth’s answer even though he couldn’t hear her. “It hurts”, she mouthed, tears forming in the corners of her rheumy eyes. Mick reached for one of the morphine sponges hospice had provided. They reminded him of the suckers he used to enjoy as a kid. Each of the small, rectangular yellow sponges had a paper stick attached and was wrapped in clear plastic. Mick opened one and gently daubed Beth’s lips. After a few minutes Beth’s tense body relaxed, and she fell back into a slow, rhythmic breathing.

The hospice nurse knocked gently on the door and entered the room. “You should probably let her rest, Mr. St. John,” she said, her hand on Mick’s shoulder, “and you could use some rest yourself.” Mick looked up at the nurse. He didn’t want to leave Beth. “Just a few more minutes,” he pleaded. The nurse nodded, then turned and left the room.

Mick stood, his joints creaking. His body had stiffened from sitting too long in one position. He walked into Beth’s small bathroom, closed the door and switched on the light. Mick filled the sink with cold water and splashed his face. He looked up into the mirror through cloudy eyes that didn’t bear much resemblance to their original sparkling hazel. He studied the thin, white hair that had receded many years ago to the point where he had to resort to a comb-over to hide his liver-spotted scalp. Deep wrinkles crinkled the corners of his eyes and bracketed his mouth. The skin beneath his chin hung in loose flaps.

Mick emptied the sink, dried his face, shut off the light and shuffled back into the room. After gauging whether he could fit, he pulled back the sheet and climbed gingerly into bed next to Beth. He covered up again and gently put one arm around Beth, snuggling as close to her as he dared. Beth sighed in her sleep, and Mick closed his eyes. When the hospice nurse returned half an hour later, she discovered that both Mick and Beth had passed on.
Mags
Fledgling

Re: Vigil (PG-13)

Post by Mags »

OMG now that was a surprise B! That was a brilliant one shot and one that i will think about for awhile. :hug:
Banner by JerseyGirl, avatar by tugafanatic and tag by Barnabas
oncebitten
Freelance freshie

Post by oncebitten »

Oh Barnabus, this one always brings tears to my eyes and an ache in my heart. The first time I read it (and I imagine it is like this for most readers), I thought Mick was still the forever young vampire we know and love until I reached the next to the last paragraph. Then, when it became clear that he is in fact an old man, the tears that had been welling up just started to fall. Then the ending, whew, it just packs such an emotional punch! And reading it again after many months have passed, even though I know what is coming this time, I am here with tears in my eyes once more. It's so very sad, and yet, in it's way, it is a happy ending for them. They have lived out their mortal lives together, and now they are together in death with a new journey ahead of them, with their great love for one another stronger than ever. :heart:

Thanks to Tug for my awesome avatar.
Tag by Barnabus
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Wow--that was so beautifully sad and powerful! At least they're together now and nothing can pull them apart. Excellent one-shot!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hankie: :hyper2: :hyper2: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :hearts:

mitzie :mooncat:
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

That was great because of course I didn't know Mick was human until the end. Nice to know they had a loving human relationship and nice to know Mick got what he always wanted. Very sweet!
Barnabas
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Barnabas »

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the story!
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

Barnabas,
I want to thank you for posting this lovely on shot. You have such a delightful voice to your writing. I hope that your work will gardner more appreciation, you deserve it.
thanks again for this.
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
Barnabas
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Barnabas »

Thank you, MoonShadow!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Beautiful.

Intensely sad, but there is symmetry there. Gives new meaning to, til death do us part.

Excuse me while I go and find some tissues to get this wek stuff off my face. And this is a reread. You have no mercy, do you>

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Barnabas
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Barnabas »

Thank you, jen!
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

:heart: :heart: Mick had his dream come true to the absolute end!! I really have to wonder why it has to hurt all that much!!!

:clapping: :clapping:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is a possible future for them where they choose mortality.

Truth be told, vampires are every bit as mortal as humans, they just have longer lifespans.

Beautifully written, and now I must go get this wet stuff off my face again...

I will never learn...

Thank you!

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Barnabas
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Barnabas »

Thanks, jen and maggatha3! You know I love writing the sad ones.

Return to “Barnabas' Office”