Taken (PG 13) May 30, 2009 Challenge Collaboration w Lorig

A place for Nutmegger911's G to PG-13 stories
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Taken (PG 13) May 30, 2009 Challenge Collaboration w Lorig

Post by nutmegger911 »

Taken

By Nutmegger911 at the direction of the creative Lorig

Authors’ note – This is in response to the Readers and Writers Collaborative Challenge, wherein the writer acts as scribe for the creative ideas of the reader. In our first correspondence Lorig suggested a story that I would never would have imagined writing on my own. Lorig requested a story where Beth does not know Mick has been watching over her, and she seeks his help in finding her missing baby. She asked for a full circle type of story that played on the “you look familiar” aspect while searching for the child.
Maybe fate isn’t really cruel. Maybe it just smacks you upside the head when you set false limits. Thanks, Lorig, for teaching me to never say never. And thanks to Bluedahlia3 for the beta.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Taken

Beth was roused by a sudden chill. She thought she saw something move by the balcony. When she padded into the baby’s room her heart stopped. The crib was empty. She screamed. She called 911. She called everyone she knew. How could this be happening? Her baby, her little bundle of joy, was gone.

The police came and took a report. An Amber Alert was issued immediately. The crime scene investigators were scouring every inch of her home. Everyone was so supportive, yet they seemed to be preparing her for the worst. She didn’t want to believe it, but with her experience she knew the odds.

BuzzWire sent a film crew immediately. The light went on, the camera started rolling and for the first time Beth was the victim being interviewed. A few perfunctory statements and then “So, Ms. Turner, can you tell us what you’re feeling?”

Beth’s eyes widened in shock. ”Oh my God!” she thought, “I’ve become the money shot!” With that betrayal she lost it. There she was holding up that perfect little picture every mother keeps on her nightstand and wailing, “My baby. I need my baby! Please…” Julia stepped in and took charge, providing the details people needed to help. She wrapped up the interview and shepherded Beth back into the house as Lt. Carl made a statement.

By the time they made it back into the apartment friends had started to arrive. Marissa guided Beth over to the couch. Someone handed her a glass of water and everyone surrounded her offering encouraging words that held the tone of condolences.

Carl walked back into the apartment and Beth was back in fighting mode “So now what? What next?”

“We wait.”

“What do you mean, ‘we wait’?”

“We’ve issued an Amber Alert; we’ve posted pictures at the airports, hospitals, bus stations, and border crossings. We’ve notified the media. We’ve reached out to everyone and now we wait.”

“Carl, I know the odds. When a child is taken the first twenty-four hours are critical. If you don’t find them then you probably never will. I can’t just sit around waiting.”

Carl cut her off, “Beth, cases like this… they are difficult, dangerous, and complicated. You have to proceed with caution.”

“Yes, but you have to proceed. We can’t just sit around talking about it and hoping. We have to do something.” Beth grabbed her bag, her iphone, and her keys and she headed out the door.

“Beth!” Carl called, but she kept going. “These things never end well,” she heard over her shoulder as she bounded down the stairs.

The next thing she knew she was in a sleek hallway pounding on the door of Mick St. John. When the handsome private investigator answered she shoved the photo at him and fell into his broad chest. She immediately felt safe there. “Mr. St. John? Please help me. Someone took my baby.”

“How did you find me?”

“My mother. She told me I should go to you.”

Beth poured her heart out while he listened intently from behind the desk. It was clear he knew the story, and somehow it felt as though she did, too. Everything about him felt familiar. “Do I know you?” she asked.

“You tell me.”

Talbot called. “Beth, where are you? We’re all worried about you.”

“I’m at Mick St. John’s office. If the police won’t help me I’ll do it myself.”

“Beth, that’s not fair. We’re doing everything we can. You need to give us a chance.”

“You should go to them.” It was Mick speaking.

“But I want to stay here with you. We can work on this together.”

“Beth, I’ll do anything to help you, but in this case they are better equipped. Cases like this are…”

“Difficult, dangerous, and complicated; I know,” she interrupted harshly.

He sighed. “You should listen to me. Beth, you should listen to them. If you want to find your baby, you need to go back to your place and let Talbot and the others help you.” His eyes were pleading, his face full of pain.

“But what will you do?”

“Whatever is necessary,” he said with grim determination. “Now go.” He practically pushed her out the door.

Beth was back at her place in no time. As soon as she came through the door her girlfriends crowded around her, asking questions, giving her hugs and offering helpful suggestions. “I have a friend, he’s good at this sort of thing, maybe he could help.” “You know, my brother-in-law is very well connected, let me give him a call.”

Talbot cut through the crowd and gave her a hug. He then held her at arm’s length and looked kindly into her eyes. “I’m trying my damnedest here. Please work with me on this.” He sat next to her on the couch and put his hands over hers.

Beth heard a couple of the uniformed officers in the background. “I don’t know what she expected. She left everything wide open. I mean, she pretty much invited this.”

“Come on, give her a break. You never think it’s going to happen to you. Besides, on the second floor? Who’s gonna just jump up here and take her baby?”

Ben was talking again, “Beth, did you hear me? Can you think of anyone who would steal your baby?”

Suddenly it dawned on her. That shadow in the darkness, she knew who it was. She grabbed her bag and bolted out the door again.

She found him there, on the roof of the Roosevelt, cradling her precious little bundle in his arms. “How could you!” her voice a high pitched whisper of indignation. “I trusted you and you… and you took my baby.”

“I did not.” he said calmly, “You gave me the baby.”

“You’re lying!”

“No I’m not. I told you I couldn’t do this. I begged with you not to, but you insisted. What was I supposed to do?”

“I would never!” she replied hotly.

“You did. Maybe you didn’t understand it at the time, but you did. And now maybe you can’t.” A look of total resignation overtook him. “It’s OK, I understand.” He looked down at the little bundle he held cradled in his arms flashed her a sad smile. “Here, catch.” As he made the toss he fell from the precipice.

“MICK!” she shrieked. “NO!” She grabbed the tiny bundle in mid air and ran towards the ledge, but he was gone. “Nooooo! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,” she sobbed over and over.

Beth woke with a start tearing at her covers. The phone was ringing. She tried to calm herself, but her heart was still pounding as she answered. “Hel- Hello?”

“Good morning, birthday girl.” he purred smoothly into the phone, followed by a concerned tone, “Hey, are you OK?”

“Yeah, you just woke me out of a dream.”

“That must have been some dream. Your heart is pounding a mile a minute.” She cringed. There was no hiding from this man.

“Hey, about tonight, let’s just go someplace quiet and talk. OK?”
Last edited by nutmegger911 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
lorig
Fledgling

Re: Taken (PG 13) May 30, 2009

Post by lorig »

:hug: Nutmegger , you were a true pleasure to work with. Willing to reach beyond your comfort zone and write this wonderful story. when I first suggested this idea I wondered how you would do it. To turn it into a metaphoric (is that a word? :snicker: ) dream was incredibly creative. Thank you for encouraging me to take part in this challenge. Great job!!
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

Very interesting story. I don't suppose I should suggest a sequel? :giggle: I'd love to hear that conversation between them!
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I like Cat's idea...

...and I love how, in her dream, she keeps remembering familiar phrases and moments, all mixed up from their original contexts. Clever. And in keeping with the odd nature of dreams...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Well done ladies.

Like Grace, I liked the familiar dialogue throughout the dream. Dreams can be strange things and this one was no exception.

I admit I'd also like to hear that conversation. :giggle:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Wow...I had so many questions running through the piece, up until the end, when it was a dream, and then it didn't matter anymore who Beth had the baby with and why Mick took it. :snicker: Because dreams are like that--so real and plausible, and yet so...not. Very interesting idea, ladies, and very well written! :thumbs:
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

I think you did a wonderful job! The dream sequense is a really good idea. The technique took you outside of canon and yet when you woke up nothing sacred had changed. Great idea. Good usage of dialogue too! :dracula:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

First of all, shouting out a big thank you to the talented gracious and modest Bluedahlia3 who beta'd and who pointed out everything except the fact that I hadn't credited her for her help.
lorig wrote::hug: Nutmegger , you were a true pleasure to work with. Willing to reach beyond your comfort zone and write this wonderful story. when I first suggested this idea I wondered how you would do it. To turn it into a metaphoric (is that a word? :snicker: ) dream was incredibly creative. Thank you for encouraging me to take part in this challenge. Great job!!
Lorig - This is your story. It never would have happened without you. :worship:
Thank you for all your creative ideas; even if it took me a while to see a great idea when it was handed to me.

Catmoon wrote:Very interesting story. I don't suppose I should suggest a sequel? :giggle: I'd love to hear that conversation between them!
Cat - Thank you. Me, too. (And I promise, Guillermo's story is continuing, but I'm having the same issues you talk about in your recent thread.)

wpgrace wrote:I like Cat's idea...

...and I love how, in her dream, she keeps remembering familiar phrases and moments, all mixed up from their original contexts. Clever. And in keeping with the odd nature of dreams...
Thanks, Grace. I tried to incorporate hints that it was a dream, such as never specifying whether it was a boy or girl, not knowing how she got from one place to the other, and the jumbled up phrases from conversations Beth had had with various people.

coco wrote:Well done ladies.

Like Grace, I liked the familiar dialogue throughout the dream. Dreams can be strange things and this one was no exception.

I admit I'd also like to hear that conversation. :giggle:
Hi Coco - Thank you. Did you just make that an offical triple plot bunny dare? Yikes! :chair:

NocturneInCMoll wrote:Wow...I had so many questions running through the piece, up until the end, when it was a dream, and then it didn't matter anymore who Beth had the baby with and why Mick took it. :snicker: Because dreams are like that--so real and plausible, and yet so...not. Very interesting idea, ladies, and very well written! :thumbs:
NocturnInCMoll - Yeah, Lorig comes up with some very creative ideas. She is a real gem to work with.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Thanks, Blue! Your input really helped.
(You know how I get with canon.) :snicker:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

That was really interesting and a dream sequence was definitely the way to go. I agree with Cat, I would love to see a sequel.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Cassy - Thank you so much. Glad you liked the way we did it.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

Thank you all for your kind words. Nutmegger took my AU idea and totally put it back into canon, worked it to where it could have been a part of the complicated aspect of their relationship. I would have never thought to turn it into a dream symbolizing Mick's vampirism taking away Beth's ability to have a child. I think Nutmegger's idea was pure genious. NM911 has a fan for life... :cheer:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This was brilliant! This has so many layers, a plot driven one, a metaphorical one, a relationship one.
Beth's questions and fears voicing themselves in this weird dream, and all the phrases included that we know so well.
Great work, lorig and nutmegger!
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

lorig wrote:...a dream symbolizing Mick's vampirism taking away Beth's ability to have a child.
Okay, I should not have read this story at 2am when I was really tired--I didn't pick up on that. :blushing: But it IS genius! :salute:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

nm911 and lorig,

Wonderful answer to the challenge!! The idea of a dream was great, keeping us all guessing who could possibly be on the roof. I agree with Cat, the birthday dinner conversation would make a great follow on story :hearts:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “nutmegger911's Office”