Enough (PG-13)

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Enough (PG-13)

Post by librarian_7 »

Disclaimers as usual. Josef is not mine.

A/N: In case of confusion, I'd place this in the timeline after "Awkward," and before "Management Training."

Enough

Josef twirled the gold Montblanc pen in his fingers, absently. This was ridiculous. He picked up his phone and punched in a number.

“Willing Freshies Society, Annabeth speaking.” There was the slightest of pauses. “Mr. Kostan, it’s always a pleasure to hear from you. How may I assist you?”

He was not opposed to modern technology, he thought, but caller ID he really could have lived without. “Annabeth. This girl, May, you sent me—“

He could hear the click of a keyboard. Calling up his file, no doubt. “I trust she was to your satisfaction, Mr. Kostan? She met all the specified criteria.” Sounded like Annabeth was in one of her “I take no random shit from vamps” moods. Normally he could respect that. Not now.

“If she were to my complete satisfaction, would I be calling?” He paused and took a breath. “Her blood was fine. Her personality was about as interesting as a documentary on eighteenth century agricultural reforms. Been there, done that.”

“Mr. Kostan, I’m sorry, but you know that—“

“I’m looking for exclusives, and this –slop—you’re sending me is not cutting it.”

Annabeth’s voice turned frosty. “My apologies, Mr. Kostan, we’ll take her off your list immediately.”

“Do so. And next time, see if you can find a girl with a little sparkle. A little wit,” he growled. This had to have been the fifth girl they’d sent lately who hadn’t been anywhere near up to standard. Which begged the question, was their quality going down, or were his standards going up? He preferred to blame the agency. He sat back, waiting for Annabeth’s answer.

“Mr. Kostan,” she said, the asperity clear in her voice, “we can guarantee blood type, we can guarantee beauty, we can guarantee educational level. But the WFS is not e-harmony, and we cannot promise every personality will match with yours. I’m very sorry, but there it is.”

“I can see there will need to be some adjustments made, in that case.”

“None of our other clients is complaining, Mr. Kostan.” Okay, this was past asperity. She was sounding downright snippy, Josef thought.

“I’m not unreasonable, Annabeth. As you well know. But I do expect a certain standard. I don’t think it’s too much to ask you to earn that extremely generous salary you’re pulling down.”

“I do my best, Mr. Kostan.” She got the message, all right, that her job was on the line. At the least. Still, her effort to sound conciliatory was not coming across as wholly sincere.

“Do better.” He cut the connection and sat still, thinking. He didn’t often question his perceptions, but he had to wonder if those last few girls had really been so bad as all that. He’d gone through these phases before, he recognized, and it was always—always—when he’d gotten his heart caught on his fangs.

But he had no answer for it. No way around it. Seeking a pale solace for the peace he had failed to find in blood, he cast out with his senses, hoping to hear the peaceful beat of the household around him, the gentle grace of his women.

What he heard brought a frown to his face. Somewhere, in the freshie wing, someone was sobbing. Crying in bitter anguish, even though she tried to make no sound, to draw no attention to herself.

Josef feared he knew who it was.

He paused outside the door. Normally he observed social niceties with his girls, at least when they were awake. He wasn’t sure if they were aware of the times he came in, silent as a padding cat, to watch over them as they slept, relishing the gentle rise and fall of their breathing, the warm rush of their blood. He’d watched them dreaming, soothing a nightmare here, observing the slow sensual writhe there. He knew who they dreamed of, too, with their ducked heads and rosy blushes the next time he saw them.

Behind this door, though, no sleep, no dreams. Pain so raw he could taste the bitterness of it. And certainty that if he knocked and asked for entry, he’d be turned away. She would refuse his comforting touch. Ironic, that.

So he didn’t give her the chance to tell him to go away. She was just going to have to deal with having him be there for her. He opened the door and slipped in.

Lucky was sprawled face down on her bed, and Josef thought he’d never seen her so gracelessly spread. She’d been shopping, he surmised, as the evidence of several discarded bags near the room’s doorway attested. She had not even kicked off her shoes before throwing herself down, and that in itself was unusual. Her clothing, cream wool slacks and a dark teal silk blouse, seemed undisturbed, but the acrid tang of her tears indicated deep emotional disarray.

Josef catfooted to the side of Lucky’s bed, and sat, reaching out to lay what he hoped would be a comforting hand on her hair. “Sweetheart,” he said, “what’s wrong? What happened?”

“Go away.”

“In due time.” He moved his hand to her back and began to make slow, soothing circles over the silk.

“Josef,” Lucky choked out, “please go away.”

“Yeah. Not without answers.” He paused. “Do I need to ask you again what happened?”

“I don’t want to say.” But she turned a tear-stained face to rest against his long thigh.

Josef waited, continuing his slow, delicate touch. He could be patient, even if her distress worried him. Gradually the shaking of her shoulders eased, but the heat of her face still burned though the leg of his trousers.

“You know you’re going to talk to me.”

“You can’t fix this.” Her voice was muffled, throaty.

“Who said I was going to try?”

“Then why ask?”

Josef eased back against the headboard a little. He’d gotten her to start talking. It should be downhill from here. “All this crying makes your blood bitter.”

“’Happy freshies taste better,’ and all that?” Lucky sniffled.

Josef smiled. “Sure, doll,” he said. “You know me too well.”

Lucky buried his face against him again, the long thick braid of her hair flipping back over her shoulder. If she truly believed his concern was only for the flavor of her blood, he thought, she was a fool. And if he did, he was lying to himself. Josef had a sudden flash, remembering how her hair had looked unbound, spread across his skin. And he had a nasty suspicion that memory was part of this problem.

“So you were shopping?” he asked, prompting. Under his hand her back tensed again.

She nodded, he thought, and threw one arm across his legs. “I needed some lotion. You know, my special brand.”

“I had no idea cosmetics could be so traumatic.”

Lucky snorted. “You know we all go to the same shop. For that sort of thing.”

He rumbled a laugh. “I do pay obscene bills to that place. Got to say, though, the results are good.”

“And here we all thought,” Lucky said shakily, but attempting to match his tone, “that you took it for natural beauty.”

“I can trust you to keep my dark secrets, I’m sure.” He paused. “Lucky, what happened at that shop?”

She took a deep breath. “You’re not going to let me off the hook, are you?”

“What do you think?”

“You’re relentless, you know that?”

“Coming from you, doll, that’s a compliment. Now quit stalling, and give.”

He thought she might look up at him, to tell her story, but she didn’t. If anything, she burrowed closer. “The staff there—they pretty much fawn over us. Or at least over your credit card. That platinum Amex definitely opens doors.” She seemed to realize she was avoiding the point, again, and plunged on. “Anyway, there was a new salesgirl. I was browsing, and she thought I was out of earshot. She asked who I was—and one of the others said, ‘Oh her. She’s one of those.’ Then they whispered some, and snickered, and the next part I heard was—was…’Kostan’s whore.’”

Josef froze, his hand stilled on Lucky’s back. He swallowed back the anger that rose like bile in his throat. “Sweetheart,” he said gently, “why would you let some ignorant idiot upset you?” Some idiot, he thought, whose job is about to evaporate. At a shop that’s about to evaporate.

Lucky didn’t answer at once. “It’s not the first time I’ve heard something like that. Ever since I moved in, everyone seems to assume…we all ignore that sort of remark. It’s just—I got to thinking this time, that it was true.”

Josef felt a hundred responses rush into his brain. All of them wrong. Finally he said, “I never wanted you to feel this way.”

He could feel the muscles of her face moving, surmised a bitter smile. “I know,” she murmured. “But I do, Josef. But I do.”

“You can’t define yourself by what other people think.”

Lucky finally turned on her side, her face still resting on his thigh, and looked up at him. He could see tracks of tears on her skin. The sight both disturbed him and sent a current of arousal running through him. He considered pulling her up into his arms, and resisted the impulse.

“Tell me,” she said, “that you don’t expend enormous effort in making sure people don’t define you correctly.”

He twisted his mouth in ironic assent. “Point taken.” He looked away, aware that her gaze was still locked on him.

“Josef—do you want to know why it hurt so much?”

“I can guess. Do you see me discarding you so carelessly?”

“Honestly?” she replied. “I think you know how I feel about you. But don’t expect me to lie to myself about you. You will do whatever is best for you.”

For once Josef had no answer, no glib comeback. In all his years, in all his lives, there was only one woman he had not left behind him. One woman he had never envisioned leaving behind him. And she was far away, and untouchable.

As he looked down at Lucky, stroked the red hair that lay against his thigh, he found it impossible not to recall the confusion and pain, his confusion and pain, that had ended with her in his bed. He told himself that once the line had been crossed, there was little reason to hold back now. Little reason, except that to take her body the way he took her blood, without regard for her emotions, would be to make her exactly what she feared. Exactly what she’d been termed.

And he found that he cared, at least enough not to wish to cause her this pain.

“I don’t know what to say, Lucky,” he admitted. “I don’t know what to do.”

She sighed again. “You know,” she said, “the fact that it matters at all to you, may be enough.” She paused. “For now.”

He ceased the motion of his hand. “What happens,” he said, “when it’s not enough for you, Luck’?”

He could feel the inhale and exhale of her warm, living breath on his leg. “I don’t know,” she said, “but at this rate, I’m guessing we’ll find out.”
LadyAilith
Fledgling

Re: Enough (PG-13)

Post by LadyAilith »

Ah, poor Lucky. She's finally been cut to the quick by the careless words of an inconsequential sales person. And there's not really anything that Josef can do about it.

She's right about him doing what's best for himself. It's something he's done and will likely always do. However, he *does* care for Lucky, so that may alter the equation somewhat. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You've done your usual stellar work, Lucky. I'm really looking forward to reading more about this particular dilemma!
LadyAilith :rose:
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by one.zebra »

Oh Lucky, this line......' and it was always—always—when he’d gotten his heart caught on his fangs.'

And he found that he cared, at least enough not to wish to cause her this pain.

“I don’t know what to say, Lucky,” he admitted. “I don’t know what to do.”

She sighed again. “You know,” she said, “the fact that it matters at all to you, may be enough.” She paused. “For now.”

He ceased the motion of his hand. “What happens,” he said, “when it’s not enough for you, Luck’?”

He could feel the inhale and exhale of her warm, living breath on his leg. “I don’t know,” she said, “but at this rate, I’m guessing we’ll find out.”

I'd say both their hearts are caught in his fangs...
I love how you write these two..
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh... this is just so... perilous. They're on rocky shoals here, and it's hard to know what to do to get free of them. Can they get free?

Lucky can't help her reaction to those cruel words. Because she fears that the people saying such things might be right. And even if she's not Josef's whore, she's Josef's fool... and to Lucky, which is worse? No wonder she's crying. She must feel absolutely bereft of the possibility of a happy ending. :comfort:

And Josef--what's he going to do? Yeah, his heart's gotten caught on his fangs in a big way. It got caught quite some time ago, I think...but now he can't deny it.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

He’d gone through these phases before, he recognized, and it was always—always—when he’d gotten his heart caught on his fangs.
This is a brilliant sentence. It shows that Josef is quite adept at assessing his own feelings, as he has gone through almost everything before. That’s what old age might do to a personality. Yet, there’s not much to do to help with emotions. And the imagery of getting his heart caught on his fangs is great.

I wasn’t aware that Josef would spend so much time watching his freshies sleep, it’s endearing and kind of sad. He only dares to invade their space when they don’t know, but he still does.

Oh Lucky. All the rumors didn’t faze her, but now she believes them true. That’s heartbreaking. She did nothing wrong, but now that the boundaries have been run down she doesn’t know where she stands with Josef. Where he stands with her.
Little reason, except that to take her body the way he took her blood, without regard for her emotions, would be to make her exactly what she feared. Exactly what she’d been termed.
This is painful, but real. I think Josef is one of the very rare kind of men who actually understand this. Not many would.

The ending is genius. He lets down his guard, and that alone shows Lucky that it matters to him, and comforts her.
As always, your Lucky story has depth and goes beyond anything the show has shown us. You have taken the concept of freshies and explored all the intricacies of emotion, bonding and rejection that this concept could entail. Wonderfully done!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

As others have mentioned the line when he got his heart caught on his fangs is so powerful. Josef does understand his behavior, he just can't always control his feelings.

Poor Lucky, I'm sure it's true she's heard similar comments before but after what's happened between them a word like whore would hurt her enormously.

It's so sad because Josef didn't intend to hurt her and he cares for her more than he'd like to admit.

They have quite a ways to go.
Emma-lee
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Emma-lee »

Poor Lucky...and poor Josef. They both are need of something, but are they willing to admit what?

I think Lucky may be willing, but is Josef??

Wonderful banner by Redwinter101, Avatar by Jen.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

This was fabulous Lucky! The heart is definitely caught on the fangs this time- but at least he knows this, and clearly cares enough to do what he can to try to fix it, which is a start. Poor Lucky- she's got a long way to go before things will be "normal" again. I can't wait for the next installment!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

OK - first I have to do this
:hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: a new Lucky story!!!!! :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:

Now, for the lines that hit me in many different ways:
librarian_7 wrote: But the WFS is not e-harmony, and we cannot promise every personality will match with yours. I’m very sorry, but there it is.”
Having done Eharmony in the past - I can tell you they do goof up ;)
Josef had a sudden flash, remembering how her hair had looked unbound, spread across his skin. And he had a nasty suspicion that memory was part of this problem. .
Both of their memories I'll bet.
Some idiot, he thought, whose job is about to evaporate. At a shop that’s about to evaporate. .
Just the idiot's job? Or will there be a new inhabitant at the tar pits? :evillaugh:
“Tell me,” she said, “that you don’t expend enormous effort in making sure people don’t define you correctly.”.
OUCH! that's a good zinger Lucky!
That Josef is acknowledging what he did matters is good. Now, let's see if he can 'fix' it.

Looking forward to the next chapter!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Each of the recent Lucky stories brings such a delicious ache to my heart as I read them. I know that sounds odd, but I think you know what I mean. *sigh*

Beautifully done, as always. :rose:
banner by Cprav
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

A brand new Lucky story is exactly what I needed on this day. I live for the moments when I can get lost in these stories..

This one was amazing! As always, you never disappoint when you write the two of them. It was so heartwrenching to see Lucky affected by the ignorant salesgirl. She is slowly reaching her breaking point, and it makes you wonder how close Josef is to his?
He’d gone through these phases before, he recognized, and it was always—always—when he’d gotten his heart caught on his fangs.
This line was absolutely perfect; expressing all of his hidden emotions.
I myself can't wait to find out...

Looking forward to the next segment!!
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
tucutecats
Fledgling

Post by tucutecats »

OH God! this was so painful I couldn't even breath. Lucky you are such a talented writer,you make Joseph and Lucky come alive. I always feel that these are real people. My heart breaks for Lucky and Joseph was so careful with her. I hope everything will work out for them. Again Thank you, for you wonderful stories. Liz
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I am at all your comments. It's an amazing feeling for a writer to know that she can evoke so much emotion!

Needless to say, there are more stories in the works...these two aren't done yet, by a long shot!

Thank you so much for reading and commenting.

Lucky
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Lucky,
Sorry for not leaving a comment sooner, but I read this 4 times and I feel speechless!! I still can't find the right words!!

I am in awe of your writing. My heart breaks for Lucky here and Josef as well!!!! :hankie: :sigh: They have a very intense and complicated relationship going on and I don't think either one of them know what to do with it!! :evillaugh: I love this excellent story!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :woohoo: :hankie: :eyes: :seesaw: :clover: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :worship: :heart:

mitzie :mooncat:
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

I have been waiting with baited breathe for the repercussion of that night to finally rebound.

Josef doesn't let just anyone slip inside the shield and Lucky may try to ignore the pain that wrenches her soul however, they both have danced about the elephant in this room only to come face to face with each other and nothing absolutely nothing will be right until they work this one through. My heart goes out to both of them, the ancient wounds, the vulnerable edges they ignore, these are the most painful to face. This is not a path for the faint of heart to walk, but it is a path to new dimensions of understanding.

Lovely start Lucky, now time for a deep breath and the next step...
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1

Return to “Josef's Lucky”