Mick's Memorial Day (One-shot, Rated G)

A place for MickLifeCrisis' G to PG-13 stories
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Mick's Memorial Day (One-shot, Rated G)

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

:bump:
Bumping for the holiday.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! And remember those who came before, so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

MLC -

this is a beautiful tribute for Memorial Day - and for our vampire to get forgivness from one of his best friends. Sad, but very beautiful.

:hug:

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I love this story! I'm so glad Mick went and found peace and forgiveness. I'm also glad he brought Beth with him.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you, AggieVamp and cassysj! I think Beth gives Mick the strength to finally face his past. And Ray's acceptance and forgiveness help Mick accept himself a little bit more.
MickLifeCrisis
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Oh MLC, this is so touching... :hankie:

I'm very moved by this. It is a beautiful glimpse of Mick's soul. :rose:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

MLC, thank you for this wonderful story. My dad is almost the same age as Mick. He fought in WWII, and he comes from a little town where this kind of ceremony takes place every year, although he moved away after he got married to my mom. But that kind of thing doesn't leave you, even if you leave the town.

I'm very happy that you gave Mick the opportunity to make his peace with Ray's memory. What a dreadful burden for him to have to bear all those decades, all alone. It wasn't something he could share with Coraline, or even Josef. It was a human burden, one that only a human, someone who had been through something similar, could relate to. In a lot of ways, I feel that Mick's guilt over his perceived wronging of Ray was as heavy as his guilt over "monstrous" things he did as a vampire. He viewed his actions as that deep of a wrong to his friend.

I'm also happy that he invited Beth to go with him, and allowed her to see him unburden himself. For someone as private as Mick, that is a huge act of love and trust.

I loved the fact that there was another vampire there, under the tree with Mick. They didn't need to say anything. They both knew...
:rose:
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

This was just beautiful. You did a lovely job of weaving Mick and Ray's story with the meaning of Memorial Day. Well done!

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Greenleaf, allegrita and SBJ, thank you so much for your lovely comments! It means a lot to me that this story touched so many of you. :rose:
MickLifeCrisis
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

MLC, this is such a wonderfully rich piece. You've deftly interwoven so many elements of humanity... The keeping of traditions, the passing on of understanding... Forgiveness, love, rememberence... This is inspiring.

I love the high school kids, reciting and maybe not understanding, offset by Mick's silently mouthing the words. His explanation of the symbolism to Beth.
MickLifeCrisis wrote: Beth slipped her arm through Mick’s as they watched the laying of the wreaths, one for each of the wars. They noticed the man beside them under the tree suddenly stand a little straighter when the wreath for World War I was laid. Mick himself stood a little taller when they laid the one for World War II.
This is classic. You've seen it at every veteran's ceremony, ever.
MickLifeCrisis wrote: Mick and the other vampire under the tree nodded at each other, and they each walked their separate ways. Beth still had her arm in Mick’s. “That was a very moving ceremony, Mick. Thank you for bringing me.” She squeezed his arm. “And I think Ray was glad you came, too.” Mick untangled his arm from Beth’s and wrapped it around her shoulders instead, pulling her in tight to him. He kissed the top of her head.

“Yes, I think he was.”
The silent acknowledgment between the two remaining participants is so touching. It is not their vamparism that makes them kindred souls in this field. They know what they share and they know better than to trivialize it with mere words.

Also, that last paragraph ties it all together so nicely. Well done. Very well done. :rose:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you very much, nutmegger! And your comment
The silent acknowledgment between the two remaining participants is so touching. It is not their vamparism that makes them kindred souls in this field.
is spot on. Thanks again. :hug:
MickLifeCrisis
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

Still love it my friend, still love it!!! :cheer:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Absolutely lovely. Thank you!

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

*Bumping for the 2010 holiday weekend*

I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!
MickLifeCrisis
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

So glad to see this one brought back to the top for Memorial Day, MLC. It was an honor to beta this one for you. :hug:

I found myself sniffling still when Mick talks to Ray, trying to explain what he'd done and why he had to leave, but by the time I got to the end of this paragraph, I was more than sniffling:
Mick squatted down. “Hey, Buddy,” he said softly, straightening a few flowers that didn’t need straightening. “I’m sorry I haven’t come before. I…I didn’t know what to say. I’ve always assumed that once we cross over to the other side, there are no more secrets. So you know what I am, and how I got this way, and also…” Mick’s voice cracked a little. “And also what I did. You have to know, we didn’t plan it. It just happened. I was helping her around the house, taking care of her like you asked me to. We both missed you so much. It…it made us feel connected to you, in a way.”
And I loved this:
Mick gave a nod to a man in his 40’s also under the tree. They recognized each other as kindred souls, and the man nodded back.
Beth slipped her arm through Mick’s as they watched the laying of the wreaths, one for each of the wars. They noticed the man beside them under the tree suddenly stand a little straighter when the wreath for World War I was laid. Mick himself stood a little taller when they laid the one for World War II.
Being a vampire doesn't change either man of being proud of serving his country.

A lovely piece, MLC - one you should be incredibly proud of.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thanks for reading, Jen and PNWgal. :flowers:

Pgal, it had been a long time since I had read this one and I got teary-eyed when Mick talked to Ray, too. Thank you for your lovely comments! :rose: I have always been pleased at how this one turned out. :blushing:
MickLifeCrisis

Return to “MickLifeCrisis' Office”