Afterglow, part twelve, conclusion (M/B/J, PG-13)

Liana
Freelance freshie

Re: Afterglow, part twelve, conclusion (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by Liana »

Ok, I've read the chapter about half an hour ago, and now I'm good to type, I think...
It was so very Josef-like. But he didn't just die for Mick and Beth, he also made the deal with the Legion to leave them out of LA forever. That't something Josef would do. He's not only romantic at heart, but also pragmatic.
But who's the head of vamp community in LA now?
Still, even reading the letters and your answers that Josef is really dead now, it's hard to believe it. Because, well... he's just Josef, always thinking of something, some way out, how can it be the end?! But his sacrifice is worth 400 years of life, it's worth dying for. Because there are at least 3 people on earth who will be forever grateful they had him in their lives!
Thank you for the wonderful story!! :hug:
I think it will take me awhile before I'd be able to come back and re-read it though. Too emotional!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Liana, not just for your comments here but for your following of this whole story.

And "so very Josef-like" is a wonderful compliment. :rose:

I think Josef was powerful and influential (although not in any formal leadership role) and I see this as him passing that mantle to Mick. It was time.

Red :heart:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
cancan22
Mortal

Post by cancan22 »

Wow...I can't even form the words right now. I am still crying. What a bittersweet ending to a wonderful story. I can totally see Josef sacrificing himself for not only MickBeth but the entire city. I guess we can take solace in knowing that he lived his life just as he wanted to. He also got to die just the way he wanted. Brava redwinter :clapping: :clapping:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

redwinter101 wrote:Thanks, Liana, not just for your comments here but for your following of this whole story.

And "so very Josef-like" is a wonderful compliment. :rose:

I think Josef was powerful and influential (although not in any formal leadership role) and I see this as him passing that mantle to Mick. It was time.

Actually, from a purely practical POV, this would have been great in season 5 or 6 in case Jason Dohring would no longer be available. It would be a possibility to let the character end his time with a bang. And can't you just see Jason playing this?
I would bawl my eyes out even more if I saw this story on TV, but it would make for a great whole or at least half season.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

cancan22, thank you so much.
cancan22 wrote:he lived his life just as he wanted to. He also got to die just the way he wanted.
Precisely what I was trying to get across - thanks again. :rose:

francis, 5 or 6 seasons... mmm... happy dreams. I love that you would want to see this on screen. Cos it looked great in my head. :snicker:

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

OMG! I just read through all SEVEN pages of comments to get here! I feel so late to the party, but here goes...

Well, Red, I must say I am surprised. Sad, delighted, yet still surprised. I just knew Josef had something else planned as I knew he could not choose between Mick and Beth, especially knowing that the loss of Beth would equal the loss of Mick regardless. But I never, and I mean never, expected him to sacrifice himself to the Legion like that! But what’s that saying about the needs of the many outweigh the needs of one? (Is that from Star Trek? I’m not a Trekkie…) So now not only are Mick and Beth safe from The Legion, but all of the Los Angeles Tribe. That Josef…and snarky up to the end, too.

redwinter101 wrote:The group of ten had formed a circle around Josef, the youngest speaking, words of doom and portent. "Oh for Heaven's sake," Josef rolled his eyes, "isn't it enough that I'm going to die? Must you bore me into a stupor first?"
Anyway, what a marvelous ending, only because loving MickBeth the way I do, I was so happy for them, yet I felt Mick’s immeasurable loss at losing Josef like that. And Josef was so right -- had Mick known the plan, he would have mucked it up somehow trying to save his brother. But I have to give kudos to Beth as well, as she was ready and willing to be sacrificed for Mick. She has some serious decisions to make now and I hope she does Josef proud.

Now for the letters -- I actually had a lump in my throat and cried. When Mick couldn’t continue reading his, well, what can I say. Writing like this comes along very rarely and you managed to handle it with great skill. The letters in these last few chapters are so evocative that we readers can't help but feel as if we've been invited into a sacred part of these characters' lives and allowed to see what others are not. I see there is another post title A Year Long Love Letter and I’m hoping that it’s the peek into Mick’s and Beth’s letters to one another over the year they were separated. Josef’s letters are now among my favorite reads and maybe they’re in there, too.

The last line was perfect for me. No more needs to be said:
redwinter101 wrote: Bathed in the afterglow of another day, whatever their future held, they would face it together, with Josef beside them, in friendship, in hope, in love.
Brava, Red, brava. Well done and thank you!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks so much, Moonlighter. You had guessed that Josef was up to something - so I'm relieved that the ending still came as a surprise. You're also right about his motivations - it wasn't just about Mick and Beth - or the rest of LA - it was about him and what he wanted. For all his determination to live life to the full, I always thought that there would be something, some trigger, that would make him think, "Right, I've had enough." But I couldn't see him going quietly - oh no, there would always be snark. :snicker:

Thanks again - for reading, for going with the story - and for prodding me to tidy up the letters.

janicevictoria
Fledgling

Post by janicevictoria »

That was simply superb, Red. What an amazing ending to this great story...I must admit that when I read your notes about what was to transpire in the chapter, I thought to myself-Aaah....I don't know if I can do this....Beth is going to die and if she does copious amounts of crying by me will ensue :hankie: (This is how convincingly you write, Red :thumbs: ) Anyway, Beth didn't die, which I'll be forever in your debt for... :whistle: but Josef did. I must admit, I didn't see this coming, and yes, I did shed a tear or two. What a selfless act, and so seemingly out of character for him, or so I thought. Powerfully brilliant stuff, Red :hearts:

I thought at the beginning of the chapter that the opera might have been 'Norma' by Bellini, as she is condemned to death in a burning pyre and her lover follows her into the flames, but thankfully as I read further, that didn't happen :thud:

Thanks to Pinkiepie for my lovely banner
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

jv, my, my, if I'd done Norma it really would have been a sob-fest!!! (And I don't think I would ever have been forgiven *coughGracecough*.) Even though it is a love story, The Pearl Fishers is ultimately about the friendship between the two men - that's why it appealed to me so much. I love Mick and Josef's friendship and I can see each of them doing pretty much anything for the other. Although with Josef, there would always be a little more to it than that.

Red

greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Tears are just streaming down my cheeks...I KNEW IT!! I KNEW it was going to happen, and still I read on... foolish foolish, heartbroken greenleaf. you killed Josef, red. You killed him. oh god. *cries*

I believe I will never read this story again, but at the same time, know that this is the most powerful moonlight fanfiction I have ever read, and that I will never forget it.

Josef's final letters, oh god, oh, just oh god. I could barely see through my tears.

Because I love Josef so much, and because you killed him, I am begging you to write me a joyful Josef one-shot. please? *greenleaf turns desperate, blood-shot eyes, and her tear-streaked face to red, and begs her for a one-shot about Josef that has a happy ending.* Please, do it for me, since I read your entire story in one night, and it's more than I can bear.

*clutches pillow to chest and sobs some more*

Truly red, you have touched me very deeply, your words have moved my soul.

The English language is mighty in your capable hands.

Thank you for this incredible story...part of me wishes I can forget everything I have read here, because it is so sad, but you can't erase knowledge, and I will think of this story with awe, as the finest example of what a well-written sentence can accomplish.

Hugs,
~Rosemary :rose:

*wanders off to find some freakin happy fluff.* ;)
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh, Rosemary, honey, now I feel bad. Honestly. The story was always going to end this way, in spite of a few red herrings along the way - it just had to.

I can't believe you read it all in one sitting - 'cos that takes stamina - thank you. :hug:

And I will write you that Josef fluff, promise.

*loves Rosemary*

greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

redwinter101 wrote:Oh, Rosemary, honey, now I feel bad. Honestly. The story was always going to end this way, in spite of a few red herrings along the way - it just had to.

I can't believe you read it all in one sitting - 'cos that takes stamina - thank you. :hug:

And I will write you that Josef fluff, promise.

*loves Rosemary*

Don't feel bad red...I kindof stumbled into this story with no idea of what it was about...and by the time I started picking up on the signals of character death, it was too late to turn back. :mdrama:

As much as Josef's death killed me, ( :hankie: ) to have any other ending--it would have lessened the story I think. Josef's sacrifice for his friends is just so powerful, anything else would be a disservice to his character. And I love that he went out on his own terms...it's just...he's dead...*gl9's lip starts trembling again* :hankie:

And I can't wait for the fluff--seriously can't wait! :hyper: Thanks so much! :heart:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:heart: gl9 :heart:

The fluff is under way...

Red

AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

"sniff" :rose:
Red, I've just read all the chapters in one go.
You made me tear up, and I don't usually do that!
A follow-up with Beth making use of the info on that flashdrive sounds like a good story? :whistle:
And I'm sure Beth wants to introduce Mick and Pete. :fingerscrossed:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I love making the non-criers cry (I'm evil that way...) - it really is a lovely compliment that you were moved. But this story is finished. Apart from Mick's letters to Beth, which I am part-way through posting, there won't be any follow-ups I'm afraid. Lovely thought though and thanks again for reading.

Red :rose:

Return to “Afterglow”