An Unexpected Gift (Rated G)

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: An Unexpected Gift (Rated G)

Post by francis »

This is great. I can see them before my eyes as if that had been filmed and incorporated into the show.
At first I didn't get the Sarah/Beth reference either, but instead of what others got, I thought it meant that Josef had slept with Beth and Mick was delusional, and that shocked me. But then the last sentence wouldn't have made sense, so I reconsidered and got it.
This is no glitch in your writing, but the power of not spelling everything out and making the reader think. I love it, don't change a word.
Wonderful! :cheer:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

eris: Thank you. That's about all I could come up with. LOL

Aggie: I concur. We DO have some of the best writers on this board. We're so lucky.

Lucky: I appreciate the Mick/Josef friendship more and more. On the one hand it's complicated. On the other it's very basic. Makes it interesting.

MLR: Yes, Mick absolutely would confide in Josef. Josef helped in making it possible for Mick to find such happiness.

francis: *hug* You would defend my making you confused. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

GA, this is great!

I love Mick And Josef's friendship, and you captured it here just right.

This line:
"You look happy". It was the understatement of the year.
omg, I lol-ed. ;)

And this one:
The PI was sprawled in the leather chair, arms splayed, fingers tapping. Josef couldn't help but smile in return; he could practically feel the nerves humming across his desk. It was like being in a room with a swarm of bees.
As others have said, it's the little details that bring this to life. The 'swarm of bees' is fantastic imagery.

*applauds* :groupwave:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Oh how much I'd have given to see this scene play out on screen. Fantastic GA. :happysigh:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I could practically see Mick bobbing with happiness GA. And that killer line about '..the best gifts being ones we don't expect..' Loved it.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

SIgh, lovely GA :hearts:

I really could picture Mick sitting there, completely at ease with himself.
I'm thinking you and Pgal ought to do this stuff more often!!

Oooooh--a challenge idea--one writer starts a fic, another continues it!!
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

gl9: Thank you bunches! I love to hear that a reader thinks that I 'got it right'. It's the ultimate compliment.

coco: I'd loved to have watched this scene on the screen too. But then, I'd loved to have seen ANY additional Mick/Josef scenes. They had awesome chemistry.

Luxe: So glad you enjoyed it. I like that - 'bobbing with happiness'. Great description of Mick.

Lisa: I've made you sigh; my work is done. LOL. In all honesty, that's not really much of a challenge for us. But I'd love to see how others do with it.
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Lovely, just lovely!! What a true gift!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :grouphug: :cloud9: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :woohoo: :groupwave: :hearts: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart:

mitzie
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Mitzie: Why, thank you Sweetie. You are always so effusive and I appreciate it.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Very sweet, GA. :biggrin:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

GA, this was lovely! :hearts: What a perfect Mick and Josef moment! I could picture it, too. And the last line was perfect as well. Thanks!
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

As several others have pointed out, it's your details that make your pieces so good. And for me, it's how you phrase those details that are so memorable. There are phrases from some of your other pieces that I still remember verbatim.

I think this will be another one:
hazel eyes that sparkled with good humor to the smile that was loose and lively.
Memorable. :hearts:

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Thanks, Phee! :blushing:

MLC, almost all Mick/Josef moments are memorable. These two have such wonderful chemistry, whether it be quiet commiserating or a passionate bout. It's always interesting.

sbj, you never fail to knock me off my feet with your compliments. I'm tickled pink that you would remember, verbatim, a phrase that I've written. I admit, I happen to like 'loose and lively' and thrilled that you do too.
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Aahhh, happy Mick = happy Moonlighter. :hyper2: I love the ease between Mick and Josef. And you capturing Mick’s mannerisms helps the little Moonlight movie that always seems to play in my head. I appreciate that -- a lot!

And for the record –- I got the Sarah connection immediately so your implication worked its magic on me.

Thanks so much, GA!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I'm so glad you wrote this great counterpoint to Pgal's story. It's perfect that Mick would go see Josef as soon as he could, and so poignant that Mick's happiness would remind them both of Josef's tragic loss of his own love.

There are a few Mick-Josef private moments that really resonate with me, most of them very short scenes:

"Everyone needs a hobby"
"You made the news"
"Happy hour"
"One of these days, you're gonna have to stop hating what you are"
The scene at the end of B.C. where Mick gulps the Scotch and pours a glass for Josef
Mick taking the bullets out of Josef in Sleeping Beauty
"Are you tan?"
The re-turning
"Dad"
"I don't believe in regrets"

This one fits right in with those wonderful scenes. I see it as a perfect Mick-Josef vignette, where so much is said in between the words. You've done a great job of capturing that dynamic between the two of them here...that rich friendship. Your descriptions of their mannerisms help portray the expressions and body language we remember so well, and make it possible for us to "see" this scene as if it HAD been filmed.

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”