An Unexpected Gift- PG 13

A place for Jen's G to PG-13 stories
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

An Unexpected Gift- PG 13

Post by jenstc2003 »

An Unexpected Gift
Disclaimer- Nope, I don't own Mick or Beth or the scenes from the series. The rest is mine.
Rating- PG 13
Notes- For the 2 hour fic challenge.

*Mick*
The phone call ruined my damned night. Halloween- and Josef was hosting a party tonight. Instead, I’d gotten a call that I couldn’t refuse. A young mother, Elaine Turner, whose daughter had gone missing. So I went to the office, and was working on some paperwork when she arrived. “Mr. St. John… I need your help…” She told me the story. Her daughter had been put to bed at about 8 the evening before. They’d gone trick or treating, and Beth had been exhausted. An hour later, Elaine had walked in to the room to check on her, and had found her bed empty. She’d begun calling numbers for PI’s in the area immediately. I was apparently the only one who could meet with her before the end of the weekend, so she had set up the first appointment that I had available.

Three hours after I said goodbye to Elaine in the office, I walked into a dingy room, lit by a couple of old fashioned gas lamps. The trail had been almost too obvious- and I could smell the vaguest scent of vamp smell at various points around it. It was just enough to know that I needed to be on my guard, but not enough to identify the vampire. The tiny child looked at me across the room with frightened blue eyes, but she didn’t cry when I entered. It was surreal, and I was taken by surprise when a pale figure seemed to float from the rafters, her eyes silvered. I should have known- but she’d covered her tracks perfectly. I was face to face with the one person I never wanted to see again this side of Hell. My wife. And the words coming from her mouth were like something out of a nightmare. She honestly believed that a child would make me love her again. As soon as she said it, she saw my reaction, and our fangs were bared in a second.
We fought, like we’d fought so many other times. It took everything I had not to surrender to her and let our bodies merge as we had after most of those fights. This time, though, I caught her off guard, and managed to stake her. I looked at the tiny, frightened child huddled in the corner, and something snapped. I took the lamp and spread kerosene from it across Coraline’s body, then broke the lantern after I gathered Beth in my arms. The flames licked at her body immediately, and I could hear her voice, howling in pain. But she didn’t move, and Beth and I were out the door before the fire could catch up to us. She clung to me like moss to a rock, and sobbed as we ran away from the inferno. I couldn’t look back- but I could almost feel my soul ripping into pieces. I knew Coraline deserved exactly what she got, but it never occurred to me how much it would hurt to actually do it. I wiped the tears from my eyes, holding on to the little girl in my arms for all I was worth. Who knew such a tiny being could give me so much strength, but I was more than grateful for it.

I removed Beth from my body when we got back to the car only by promising her that she was going back to her Mother. She was traumatized, and I would have killed Coraline fifty times at that moment. Finally I got her situated in the car, and we were able to head back to her house. Her mother’s eyes lit up as soon as she saw us. Beth jumped out of my arms, running over to her Mom with tears streaming down her little face. Elaine picked her up, holding her close. She spoke to me as she caressed her daughter’s back. “Thank you, Mr. St. John. You saved her… how can I ever repay you?” She never knew that she had already done more than anyone could.

I watched them, chatting with Elaine for a few minutes, making sure that this couldn’t happen again. Then, Beth smiled at me. She dropped from her Mom’s grasp and ran into her bedroom. I was glad to see her relaxing, and was surprised when she came back out a few minutes later, carrying a stuffed dog. “Here- this is for you…” She handed me the doll, and I smiled as she jumped into my arms.

I hugged her a few minutes longer, but held on to the dog as I left. Ever since that night, I have looked at that dog when I needed to be reminded of why I am still here. Tonight, that gift is on my mind again. Its’ the most nerve wracking moment of my life as I hand the toy to the love of my life. She wipes tears from her eyes as she remembers the night we first met, and she lights up when she sees what I’ve added around it’s neck- a two carat diamond ring, which fits her perfectly when I place it on her finger a moment later. I kiss her passionately as soon as it is in place, holding her as close as she had held me that night when we saved each other. How could I have known how many gifts would come from that ruined Halloween?
Last edited by jenstc2003 on Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: An Unexpected Gift- PG 13

Post by redwinter101 »

You old romantic you!! And I thought I was a softie!!!

This is just lovely - a beautiful full circle.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Guilty as charged, Red! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
redwinter101 wrote:You old romantic you!! And I thought I was a softie!!!

This is just lovely - a beautiful full circle.

Red
Jen

Mick's Synful One
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

As Red said what a full circle. It's so sweet and romantic and happy.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Thanks Cassy! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
cassysj wrote:As Red said what a full circle. It's so sweet and romantic and happy.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Aww.... Jen... :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh:
That is sooooo sweet. And such a good synopsis of Little Beth's rescue, too. I'm so happy for them--I'm a sap for happy MickBeth. :melts: :hearts: :thanks:
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Allegrita!! *Hugs*
allegrita wrote:Aww.... Jen... :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh:
That is sooooo sweet. And such a good synopsis of Little Beth's rescue, too. I'm so happy for them--I'm a sap for happy MickBeth. :melts: :hearts: :thanks:
Jen

Mick's Synful One
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

You have my romantic heart soaring, jen. I'm mush. I love the idea of Mick keeping a small present that a young Beth gave him. It's definitely something I can see him doing. As Josef said, he's a romantic in the abstract.

Thank you. I think I'll be coming back to read this one a few more times - whenever I need that warm, fuzzy feeling. ;)
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

*Hugs* I'm so glad you enjoyed it GA!! I'm so glad it was that moving for you!
GuardianAngel wrote:You have my romantic heart soaring, jen. I'm mush. I love the idea of Mick keeping a small present that a young Beth gave him. It's definitely something I can see him doing. As Josef said, he's a romantic in the abstract.

Thank you. I think I'll be coming back to read this one a few more times - whenever I need that warm, fuzzy feeling. ;)
Jen

Mick's Synful One
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

How romantic? And the ending we would have loved to see---lovely.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Thanks Fleur! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I have to agree- the perfect ending...
Fleur de Lisa wrote:How romantic? And the ending we would have loved to see---lovely.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
Emma-lee
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Emma-lee »

Very sweet, and so Mick....good Job.

Wonderful banner by Redwinter101, Avatar by Jen.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Thanks Em!! I'm glad you liked it!!
Emma-lee wrote:Very sweet, and so Mick....good Job.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
kpyle
Freelance freshie

Post by kpyle »

From one Mick and Beth romantic to another!! I just loved it! Very sweet! :heart:

Kelly
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!! *smiles* I couldn't resist.
kpyle wrote:From one Mick and Beth romantic to another!! I just loved it! Very sweet! :heart:

Kelly
Jen

Mick's Synful One

Return to “Jenstc2003's Office”