Every Rose has it's Thorns. PG 13

A place for JosefsRose's G to PG-13 stories
JosefsRose
Freelance freshie

Every Rose has it's Thorns. PG 13

Post by JosefsRose »

Disclaimer :- Josef isn't mine. I only get to play with him.
Rating PG 13

Part 1

She stood, just outside the building, wondering once more, what she was doing there. She had got the call from the agency, sending her for an interview. She had attended several, often not even getting through the door. Being turned away, told that she would not be suitable for the job, even before they saw her résumé. She was capable, one of the best. Yet no-one in this town wanted to give her a chance. So she stood, staring at the doors. Her chocolate brown hair, pulled back on a functional ponytail. Dark glasses sat on her noses, shielding her eyes from the late afternoon sun, reflecting, and flaring of the coated glass. Dressed in black slacks, a loose fitting shirt, and flat pumps, she walked through the doors. She walked directly to the security desk. “I have an interview, my name is Miss Thorne.” As the guard checked the appointments book, she glanced about the lobby. Amazed, at what some of the female members of staff seemed to be wearing, or not wearing. Yet, she felt something was wrong. Turning back to the security station, he just nodded and directed her to a bank of elevators. She gave her thanks, and walked away, still viewing the lobby. Taking in everything about her. Reaching the lifts, she was shocked there were no buttons. Silently the doors opened, then with one final glace back the way she came, she stepped into the unknown. Again there were no buttons, the doors closed and the lift rose silently. She looked about her, noting the hidden camera, no make that two cameras, the second was infra-red. Top of the range.

She shifted her bag, under her arm, giving her both hands free. As the elevator came to a halt, and the doors open, she took a calming breath. She stepped into another lobby, this one a homage to modern history, all dark wood, and marble. A lone sectary sat at a large oak desk. She was dressed to kill, her short skirt, visible under the desk. Her blouse opened to the third button, a silk scarf, wrapped gently about her neck. Again she took a moment to take in her surroundings. Noting more cameras, and motion sensors. It was good to see someone taking security seriously, most places only had the basics, and even then some of it was for show. “Miss Thorne, There will be a short wait I’m afraid. He’s been held up in a meeting.” Her attention snapped back to the woman behind the desk. She removed her sun glasses, making her eyes clear to view. They were sharp, and ever watchful. The woman shifted uneasily, under her scrutiny.

“That’s fine. Any idea on how long?” She sounded calm, but she was on edge. Everything was screaming something was wrong. She was restless, moving constantly.

“I’m sorry I don’t know. Why don’t you take a seat. I’m sure it won’t be long.” She gave her a contrite smile, trying to set her at ease. “Would you like a drink. Tea or coffee?”

She shook her head, “No thank you. I’m fine.” she turned and walked over to the leather couch, and sat down. Legs crossed at her ankles, hands clasped in her lap. Eyes twitching towards the door. It was where her unease seemed to come from. Even with all the state of the art surveillance, she felt wrong. Her mouth seem a little dry so she stood, and spoke to the woman once more. “Is it possible to get a glass of water?”

“Sure, just take a seat I’ll get it for you.” She rose gracefully from her seat rounding her desk. Before she had taken two steps away, noises of a scuffle could be heard coming from behind the office doors. Shouting and yells, filling the air, that had gone suddenly still. She was at the doors in a split second trying to open them.

“Get these doors open.” the woman had frozen. “Hey you. Doors. Now!” Finally the woman snaps out of her stupor. Running back to her desk, reaching it just as an ominous sound rings out. A single shot. Still pushing at the door, until they open, she enters the inner room. Keeping to one side of the door she peers round. Her analytical eye ,sees two men. One lying on the floor, a blood stain spreading out over his shirt, the other standing over him, holding the gun. Instinct takes over, she cautiously edges into the room. “Hey man, what are you doing? You don’t really want to kill him do you?” The man turns on her, but the gun stays pointed at the man on the floor.

“Your one of his flunkies, one of them girls. You know what he is, a monster. He preys on girls like you. He doesn’t deserve to live.” Her eyes flick to the man on the floor, he’s pale, deathly pale. Then she spots something strange, his eyes seem to flash to a crystalline white. Then it was gone, and as she looked again, she saw only brown, pained eyes, staring up at her. The attackers gaze follows hers, giving her the opportunity she needs. As he becomes distracted once more, she moves. In a blinding move, the gun has gone from his hand, and skitters across the floor. Then the attacker is on his knees, arm wrapped behind his back, restrained. Moments later, the buildings security arrives, taking care of the attacker. Her attention turns to the injured man. He is talking to one of the guards.

“Excuse me Miss Thorne, but due to the circumstances, it would be better if we can reschedule this interview. You will receive a call in the next week. Just you leave your number with Miss Nixon there.” He indicated the secretary, and motioned her out of the doors.

“Don’t you need me to speak with the police?” she was following standard protocol. Yet, something here was far less than standard. It was damn near peculiar.

“No Mam, the whole thing was caught on camera. We can deal with it.” Then he closed the doors, and left her with Miss Nixon.

“Has someone called the paramedics? He needs urgent treatment.” Concern was evident, but so was puzzlement.

“Trust me, he’ll be fine.” Miss Nixon didn’t seem worried. Her comment did nothing to alleviate he concerns. Then the intercom buzzes.

“Miss Nixon, is that young lady still here?”

“Yes Sir. Would you like me to send her in?” There was a hint of relief in her voice.

“In deed, send her in.”

“Would you like to go back in please. He’ll see you now.” She led the way back to the doors and opened them for her. With a smile she showed her in, then closed the doors. The man that had been lying on the floor, was now sat behind a huge mahogany desk, staring at her intently. His scrutiny, matching her own. He had changed his shirt, and seem unhurt. The security guard was still in the room, standing in one of the corners behind him.

“Well, I hope you didn’t mind my little test Miss Thorne. When it comes to matters of safety and security, I can be a little paranoid. Your reactions were to be commended. Tell me what do you think of my security?”

“Your security? It’s a joke. I walked into your building, and even though I told them who I was, my identity wasn’t checked. Nor was I searched. I came up here to your private offices, and was unchallenged. If I had wanted, I could have brought up a weapon, and your ‘little test‘,” she added speech marks with her fingers, “could have been very real.” she locked eyes with him in a battle of wills.

He looked away first, only to turn to the man behind him. “Is this true? She came up here unchecked.” his features were stern, hard. The guard just nodded, not giving a verbal answer. “Leave now.” With the order spoken the guard left. “Now let’s get down to the nitty gritty shall we. How is it you are so able?” His gaze wandered over her. Taking in her slim, but defined form.

“I was brought up in the army. I joined in some of the training, when I was allowed. Taking myself over the assault course. Timing myself. I took martial arts classes, gained black belts in several styles. I was never going to be, a girly girl. I was definitely a tomboy. I trained in multiple fire arms, including crossbows, and compound bows. Then I went to learn defensive driving, and started work as security personnel. Often working with women, who felt uneasy with male guards. I gained a reputation, after a few events. I came to LA to start in a fresh location, with less resentment.” She paused watching him, measuring the man before her. “Is there anything else you want to know?” The ball returned to his court.

“You can give me your résumé. Then tell me your name?” She handed him the file from her bag, and he quickly scanned it. He looked back up. Smiling.

“You just read it. Rose, Rose Thorne.” She held her hand out to him. “A pleasure to make your acquaintance Mr?” He took her hand, shaking it with a firm grip.

“Kostan. Josef Kostan.” Was his reply.

Part 2

As Josef closed his office door, he let out a growl. He needed to feed, and it had to be fresh from the vein. Picking up the phone on his desk, he made the call to one of his freshies. Sitting down, his thoughts turned again to Rose Thorne. She fascinated him, and that could be a dangerous thing. Her actions in his office, had shown him, she was unafraid to step into the line of fire, or to put herself in danger for the safety of others. He buzzed the front desk, “Nicole, would you put in a call to Miss Thorne, and invite her back for a second interview.”

“Yes, Mr Kostan. Will there be anything more?”

“No nothing at the moment, Nicole.” He gave a small grin, she was one of his best. Leaning on his desk he steepled his fingers in thought, as he caught the approaching scent. A light knock on the door, announced her arrival. She sauntered in, her face showing the emotions Josef could smell coming from her.

“Josef, we heard you had been shot. Everyone wants to know if you are alright?” She had crossed the room to his side, seating herself on the arm of his chair.

“Ah sweet Trixi. As you can see, I am well, no permanent damage. I just need a little fresh A-neg, to help, me feel completely well.” He then reverently took her wrist, placing light kisses, from the crook of her elbow, to were he felt her pulse beat. His eyes paled, and his fangs descended, he scented her readiness, her eagerness to give him what he need the most. Gently he sank his fangs in, lapping at the blood that welled from the twin puncture marks. Trixi, gave a soft moan of pleasure, from the sensations his mouth on her wrist gave her. Josef, then started to draw slightly deeper from her, and she sagged into his shoulder. Her face was serene, a picture of bliss. Reluctantly he withdrew his fangs, laving the wounds until they stopped weeping, listening to the steady rhythm of her heart beating. She pulled back from him to look him in the face, please to see colour on his skin. “Thank you my dear. You may tell the other girls that I am alright.” He stood with her, and with a guiding hand on her back, walked her to the door. Watching her slowly walk away down the corridor. He then turned his attention to head of security, standing by the desk. “Come in Santiago.” His tone was cold. He turned on his heels, and re-entered his office, closely followed by Santiago. “Close the doors.” He commanded, and Santiago complied. He stood in front of Josef’s desk, head and eyes downcast, a subservient stance. “What the hell happened today? Were you all asleep?” his eyes flashed crystalline in anger. “I don’t take too kindly to people trying to kill me, Santiago. Yet today it happened, and in front of someone, not aware of the tribe. I don’t tolerate failure. You better have a damn good reason for your failure today.” Josef’s intense gaze fell solely on the man stood before him.

“I have no excuse, Mr Kostan Sir. It should never have happened.” he was contrite, his body posture one of submission.

“Your right, it shouldn’t have.” Then without warning he plunged a stake into Santiago’s chest. “Looks like I need a new head of security.” he snarked. Opening his phone, he made a call to the cleaners. He walked to the doors, opening one of them, he spoke to Nicole. “Nicole, what time did you arrange for Miss Thorne to come back?”

“4pm on Monday. Did you want me to change it?” Her face was full of respect for him.

“No, that’s fine. I’m expecting the ladies in black, just let them straight in when they arrive.” He care deeply for all of his girls, and knew the news of his attack, had to have come from Nicole.

“Yes, Mr Kostan. Do you need anything else?”

“No Nicole, once they arrive you can go.” He gave her his best smile.

“Yes Sir,” She paused, wondering if she should say what was on her mind. “I’m glad you weren’t hurt Josef.” she was sincere.

“So am I, so am I” He returned to his office, taking a final look at the prone figure on the floor. Then went into his private quarters and poured himself a large scotch.

Rose had been surprised by the call. They wanted her back for a second interview. Honestly she had thought she had been turned down again. She ran through the initial interview again in her mind. She had sworn something was wrong. The lax security, and the reaction of the secretary. It was off, wrong. Even when she had been told , it had been a test, she hadn’t really believed it. With all her experience, she had learnt to read if someone was lying to her.

So her she was again, head tilted up, studying the glass and steel edifice before her. Going through the motions. Dressed almost identically to how she had been before, only her shirt this time was electric blue. Her was down in a loose style, and it flowed and bounced lightly as she walked to the desk once more. “I’m here to see Mr Kostan. Miss Thorne.” The security guard took the proper precautions, asking to see her ID, and then checking her person. They even went as far as checking her bag. The change was so radical, that she thought, perhaps the last time had been a test. To see if she could spot the obvious flaws in the system. Again she entered the lift, and rose to the office on the top floor. It was a different girl on the desk this time, and the office door was open.

“Go right on in Miss Thorne. Mr Kostan won’t be a moment.” The girl gave her a genuine smile, and Rose couldn’t help but smile back.

“Thanks. Could you get me a glass of water please?” Her mouth was uncharacteristically dry.

“Sure, I’ll bring it in to you. Make yourself comfortable.” Then she was gone, and heading down the hallway. Rose walked into the office. This time she took the time to study her surroundings. She noticed several paintings on the walls, they appeared to a Renoir, and a pair of Monet’s. She stepped closer, thinking that they seemed to be originals.

“They are originals, if you were wondering.” His voice from behind her, startled her. She stepped back sharply, turning as she did, and smacked straight into his chest. He was grinning at her, it was disarming. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” His hazel eyes, were filled with warmth, and mirth.

“I didn’t hear you come in Mr Kostan. Ordinarily I wouldn’t jump like that.” She gave him a nervous look. She was off balance at his proximity, and his masculine scent was playing havoc with her. He was staring at her, watching her breathe deeply. Then he stepped silently away from her.

Still grinning, like the cat that got the cream, “It’s the carpet, and I walk very softly. Again, let me apologise for giving you a scare.” He gestured for her to sit on the couch, rather than the more formal chairs in front of his desk. As she sat the secretary came in with her water. She took it with a trembling hand, and took a sip. Calming herself. Eventually she looked up at him, he was studying her.

“Was there something more you wanted to know Mr Kostan? I thought all the relevant information was in my file.” He had sat opposite her, crossing his legs, reclining, head tilted at a slight angle. He purse his lips before he spoke.

“I want to personally offer you the position of Head of my Personal security. My last one was lackadaisical, and your observations just pointed it out further. I hope you noticed some changes on your return here?” Rose was flabbergasted. She had only expected to get, a general security job. Not run the whole thing. Josef saw her shock, and confusion. Leaning forward he asked. “Are you alright? You’ve gone a little pale.”

Quickly she gathered her thoughts, what was it about this man, that put her so far off her game. “Err, Yes. I’m great. You just surprised me again.” She huffed slightly. “I didn’t even know you were looking to fill such a position. I was put forward for standard security.” She looked bemused.

“Rose, Miss Thorne. Your position would be head of MY personal security.” he emphasised the ‘my’. “Answering to me directly. Responsibilities, include. Reviewing, my security measures, keeping them up to date. Also being responsible for my safety, and that of my direct staff.

You impressed me Miss Thorne, and it takes a lot to do that. So do you want the position, and do you have any further questions?” He sat further forward, his gaze was almost predatory.

Although she had several questions, she replied. “Just one question. When would you like me to start?” She had gained her composure back, and took another sip of water, before placing the glass on the table before her.

Josef, was expecting a different answer, and just nodded his approval. “Immediately. I have a social function to go to this evening. You can accompany me, as my guest, and my security.” A vision of horror, crossed Rose’s face, “What you can’t start tonight?”

“No, Yes. I can start, I just…” She bit her lip hard.

“What then? It’s a formal occasion, evening wear. It’s a dedication of a new wing at the gallery.” It was his turn to look confused and amused, as he watched her blush.

“I don’t have any evening dresses, or any dresses to that fact. There not conducive to working on a security detail.” Josef laughed in pure and simple amusement.

“You don’t own any dresses? What do you wear when you go out for an evening?” His brow raised up in an incredulous look.

“I don’t go out.” Her tone sharp, and defensive. Why was she justifying herself to him. “I always wear functional clothing for work.” She had stiffened up.

“Calm down, Rose. It’s simple, we’ll just go out, and get you one. He was smirking at her again. Eyeing her up and down.

“What now? I can’t afford any new clothes right now. That’s why I need this job.” She was still on the defensive, now hoping she hadn’t blown her chance, here and now.

He shook his head, “There’s no problem. I’ll buy it for you.” Rose just stared at him open mouthed.

Part 3

She was still in shocked silence, as they reached the mall. She hardly notice the drive in the Ferrari. Turning to face him, she caught his profile, and was taken in by how handsome he appeared, but there was something about him. She wasn’t one for mysteries. She had to break the train of thought about his looks. “You drive like the devil. Come to think about it, maybe you are.”

“If you had a car like this, wouldn’t you drive it, like it was meant to be?” He twisted in his seat to observe her. “But I’m definitely not the devil. He doesn’t want me, and heaven won’t take me.” For just a moment, a deep sadness appeared in his soulful eyes. He gave a mirthless laugh, then the look was gone. And the light returned to his hazel orbs. “Come on, let’s find you a dress, and accessories.” He climbed out of the car, and strode round to her door. Opening it, he then offered her his hand. Rose took it, stepping out of the car. He place a hand in the small of her back, as he guided her towards the boutiques. “Now where shall we start, Dior, Versace. Donna Karen.” For the next hour they walked from shop to shop. Being fawned on hand and foot. Rose noted that Josef, got almost royal treatment. He disappeared for around ten minutes excusing himself, stating he had a business call to make. When he came back, he seemed more refreshed.

“Did everything go well with your business?” She enquired, noting his suit was crumpled, and a small amount of make-up had transferred onto his shirt.

He noted her scrutiny, but chose to ignore it. “Yes I completed the transaction satisfactorily. Now have you chosen any dresses?” An embarrassed look came over her features. “You don’t have to worry about the cost. I treat all my staff well. A gown such as you need, is nothing to me.” The look remained.

“It’s not the cost. I am not a model, I don’t have the perfect figure. These dresses, are for models. Not for the likes of me.” It was clear she had low opinion of her image. Her clothes were, as she put it functional.

“Everyone needs to have at least one outfit, that makes them feel….” He sought out the word he needed. “fabulous. You will look perfect, in what ever you choose.” She lost herself in his words, wanting to believe them. “Now go try on the dresses, and show me. Then we can make a choice. We still need to get to the salon, so they can pamper you, and make you even more special than you already are.”

She was about to argue, but he shooed her away, the assistant leading her to the changing booth. Slipping out of her blouse, and trousers she took the first dress. A black chiffon number, with a plunging v- neckline.
She stepped out of the changing room, only to find Josef gone. A scowl crossed her face. How could she do her job, if he disappeared, without telling her where he was going. She took the chance to look at herself in the mirrors. “Crap, this one makes me look like I’m going to a funeral.” The dress wasn’t all that flattering on her. She returned to the booth, not shutting the curtain all the way. Not realising Josef, had returned behind her. She removed the dress, carefully replacing it on the hanger.

Josef had heard the comment about the dress, and watched her from a short distance. He nodded his head in agreement. That dress was wrong for her, not flattering at all. Then he saw her undressing. Not one to miss a voyeuristic opportunity, he silently returned to where he had been sat. He was struck by the paleness of her skin, and her more rounded curves. Her body shape was muscular, tight and defined, but not demure. Then he saw them. She had a large tattoo at the base of her back, and several others on her upper body. All of this she had covered up with loose fitting garments. He was becoming more intrigued with her. She was the opposite of his freshies, who had stick thin bodies, tans, and a perfect image in their minds. He decided to make her jump again. “So what was wrong with the first dress?” She gave a twitch as he started speaking, and her heart rate went up a little. Rose turned, and saw him. A rose red blush swept her body, and her pulse spiked.

“I looked like I was going to a funeral, not a party. Let me put the next on, and I’ll come out and show you.” Then she swept the curtain closed, and took several calming breaths. Shocked at how he made her feel. Did he have this effect on everyone? She thought. She struggled with the next dress, The straps getting tangled. Then with one final adjustment she stepped out in front of him. His breath caught in his throat.

“Now that one has possibilities. Turn around.” She slowly spun for him. “That’s a maybe. What do you think of it?” His gaze raked her body, and a warm sensation ran through her.

“I feel exposed, but it is beautiful.” her hands ran up her arms, covering her exposed flesh. She gave a shiver, and goose bumps ran over her skin. “I’ll try the blue one next.” Then she vanished behind the curtain. The assistant return, and took the dress from her, putting it to one side. Politely she asked if she would like anything to drink. Rose asked her for a soda, and took the blue dress down it had a full sleeve of a fine silk, down one arm the other was off the shoulder. Beads and embroidery adorned the main body. She held the skirt up and turned about, feeling how the dress moved with her. She opened the curtain, and tilted her head. “How about this one? I love the blue. “I meant to ask, what’s the format for this evening? You said it was a dedication, but we’re here buying me a gown more suited to a ball.” she twirled, the dress flowing about her.

“Hmm, the colour suits you. But the shape doesn’t.” He was being critical. “That dress is more for those skinny girls you talked about.” The assistant returned and handed her a glass of soda. Rose took a mouthful, feeling the sugar hit her system. Then she emptied the glass, placing it on the table. Josef, watched as she swallowed, noting for the first time the line of her neck. “Well it is a ball. There’s a gala ball after the dedication. What do you need a timetable for?” he snarked at her, the right hand corner of his mouth twitching into a smile.

“If I’m looking after your ass, Mr Kostan, then yes. A timetable or schedule would be nice.” She was just as sarcastic, hands on hips grinning at him. Their banter was friendly, she was already at ease with him.

“Well next time I’ll get you one.” then he added “I would like you to call me Josef. Mr Kostan makes me sound old, and stuffy.” Rose laughed, it was a light and free sound.

“Old and stuffy? Oh my I don’t think your either of those Mr..err Josef.” She corrected herself quickly. “Sorry, but I would always call my employer, by their formal name.” There was a silence between them, each watching the other. “Um well I have one more dress to try. Do I keep this one for consideration, or is it to go on the unwanted pile?” Her back turned to him, as she stepped once again into the cubicle to change.

“The unwanted pile. There is a perfect dress out there for you, and we shall find it.” He heard her laugh again, it made him smile. “What’s so funny?”

“I think you would have to look for more than one lifetime to find that for me. I’m not your average person.” She took the last dress, stepping into it, draping the diaphanous shawl about her pale shoulders. In a last minute decision she scrunched her hair up, in a loose bun, a few tendrils trailing down her neck. She called the assistant to her and asked her for some heeled shoes. She disappeared, and returned minutes later with the matching shoes, and lace gloves. Slipping on the shoes, and gloves. She graced Josef’s view. “Well?” Just one word. From Josef’s demeanour, she knew she had found the dress.

He was speechless, she took his breath away. The dress shimmered, the bodice had a sweetheart neckline. She was stunning, and with little effort. “I think that one will do.” He was tongue tied. He shook himself, to get his mind on other things. “Perfect.” He turned to the sales assistant. “We’ll take it, and the accessories as well.” He smiled at her, “OK now we have to get you to the salon, and pampered. Then head back to get ready.” Twenty minutes later they had bags in hand and were walking to a very exclusive salon. Once more the staff fawned over Josef. The girls were practically throwing themselves at him. It was clear he was trying to keep a straight face. He whisper some thing to one of them, and then they all backed off.

“You seem to have quite an effect, on the opposite sex. What is it with these girls?” Admonishing him slightly.

“They want to work for me. I have a large share in a film studio. Most of them are actresses, looking for a break into the industry. Now, sit down and be pampered.” He turned to the assembled girls. “Now ladies she’s all yours. I want her back better than perfect. I’ll be back in two hours.” Then he was gone, all eyes following his figure striding away. Rose sat in one of the chairs, and the hair stylist crossed to her. Releasing her hair, from the bun she had tied it in. It fell halfway down to her waist. It shimmered in the spotlight.

“You hair is beautiful. It would be a shame to cut it. Now what would you like? Miss?” Her hands sat on the back of the chair. Eyes met via the mirror. Randomly running through the strands.

“I don’t really want to cut it. Can you just style it?” She smiled, “Mr Kostan is taking me to a dedication, and ball at a gallery. I’ve only just started to work for him. I’m starting to wonder what I’ve got into.”

“Oh he’s a great man to work for, a perfect gentleman. He always see’s his girls right. So describe your dress for me. What’s the colour, and neckline.” Her eyes shone as she spoke about Josef.

“Did you ever work for him? You seem to have an affection for him.” She was interested, but she knew she shouldn’t ask.

“Oh yes, for several years. He set up this salon for me. Now the dress, we only have limited time to do every thing.” Rose didn’t dig any deeper, and gave her the description. Then the girl started on her hair while others worked on her nails, face and make-up. When the two hours were up, Josef was waiting for her.

“Chloe my dear, you work wonders. Glad to see your doing so well. Obviously I made a good investment here.” She held out her arm to him.

“Once more, for old times Josef?” Stepping closer to him, she was almost purring. Rose just watched the interaction, feigning disinterest. Wondering what it was she used to do for him.

“Ahh, not today.” He grinned at Rose, almost laughing, “We’re on a schedule, to get ready, and get to the gallery.” Rose hid her own smile, but noticed the glare she received from Chloe. “Come my sweet Rose, time to leave, and get ready.” He held out his arm for her to take. Rose considered it a very old fashion gesture, but took it anyway. He led the way back to the car. The Ferrari was gone and a huge white limo, was in it’s place. Josef held the door for her. Closing it after himself. He sat on the opposing side to her, watching and studying her.

“So are you taking me back to my place, to let me get ready?” She watched the building speed by, outside of the window.

“No. we’re heading to my house. I hope you don’t mind. You can use one of the guest rooms.” He was inspecting her again, watching her body language.

“What? Your place, but I thought…” He stopped her.

“Yes my place. It will be easier for both of us. I’ll drop you home after the Gala.” Her face was incredulous. He gave her a boyish grin. “What you think, I’m going seduce you?” He was openly laughing, and Rose embarrassed as she was, was laughing too.

“Oh God, my make up is going to be ruined.” Tears were streaming down her cheeks, and her make-up was becoming streaked. Josef handed her a handkerchief, and she wiped her eyes. “Thanks, I guess seeing all those girls falling over themselves to get to you. I jumped to some conclusions. Especially that Chloe. It seemed to me, there was something there, in the past, between the two of you. You can correct me if I’m wrong. I notice things, it’s part of what I do. As for going to your place, well I can check the security there. I trust you not to seduce me, I don’t fraternise with my employers. Bad karma, and all that.” She laughed again, her eyes sparkling with the tears she had just shed. Josef avoided the question, as the car slid to a halt. The door opened , and Josef stepped out first, then offered to help her out. Still smiling, Rose spoke up with a poor imitation of a southern drawl, “Why thank you kind Sir.” and curtseyed.

Josef couldn‘t help himself, he ended up, bent double with laughing. He took a moment to compose himself, then led the to his home. Rose looked on awe struck, she had never seen such splendour. “Welcome to my home Miss Thorne. I’ll show you to a room you can use, then we can meet in the lounge before we leave.” He quickly showed her the lounge, then escorted her up the stairs to a guest room. “You can change and touch up your make-up in here. We need to leave in about an hour. I’ll see you down stairs.” Rose was in amazement. The room was magnificent. If this was a guest room, she wondered what the master bedroom would be like. The urge to roam the house, was immense, but Josef had said they needed to leave in an hour. So instead of wandering, she started to get changed. firstly she touched up her face, blending in the streaks her crying with laughter had caused, then touched up her eyes. She then turned to the dress, she lifted it from the bag, laying it on the bed. She stripped out of her clothes, then carefully stepped into the dress, minding the layers of petticoats. She finished getting ready, taking the chance to look at herself in the full length mirror, she was surprised at what she saw. She couldn’t believe that it was her she was looking at. She smoothed the skirts, then left the room to find Josef in the lounge. She descended the stairs as gracefully as she could. Walking down the plush hallway, with a steady gait. Josef was facing her, as she entered. He stood to greet her, taking her hand and placing a light kiss upon the back of it. “Your house is impressive Josef. It’s a shame we don’t have time tonight, to take a tour. Maybe you could show me at some point. After all, I’m now responsible for your safety.”

“Thank you for your compliment. I will ensure you get to look over the house. May I say how beautiful you look. It’s quite a change from earlier. As for this evening, try to relax and enjoy yourself. Would you care for a drink?” She sat on the sofa, as he walked to a small bar. She studied how he was dressed. His suit had been replaces with a dark charcoal grey tux, he wore a white shirt, with a grey bow tie. His back was turned to her, and she glanced down at his backside.

An appreciative smile on her face, she whispered to herself, “Now that’s an ass worth saving.” She missed Josef’s snort, as he clinked the glasses. “Oh a drink, erm yes please.” She chewed her bottom lip “Red wine, just a small glass. I don’t normally drink a lot. I would like to say how dapper you also look.” Josef was pouring her dink, and walked back over to her. His eyes shimmered, and Rose thought they had lightened, but put it down, to a trick of the light. “Can I ask you something, and get an honest reply.” She had become serious again.

“I would like to think so. I have to trust your judgement, so the honesty has to start somewhere. What’s your question.” He was nervous about what she was going to ask. As she said she noticed things, like the reactions of the girls in the salon. Had she seen something else.

“Why me? Why chose me over a man?” Was she having doubts. Why the questions now.

“I like to be different. You proved you could cope in a tense situation. I read your résumé. I considered you more than capable. Your not having second thoughts are you? Because it’s a little late to pull out now. I’d never get another date, on such short notice.” He watched her closely.

“Oh no, no cold feet. Just curious. And as for not getting a date,” She emphasised the date. “ I can’t see there being a problem. Anyone of those girls in the salon, would jump at the chance. Especially Chloe. She told me she work for you, and you set her up in business.” She didn’t ask the next question, and he was relieved she hadn’t.

“Your probably right, they would. Even slit each others throats, to get the chance.” he made the appropriate gesture with is hand. “Just think how jealous they are of you. You’re the one gracing me with your presence, not them.” Rose had given a giggle at his gesture, but noted the serious look in his eyes. He stood, from where he had sat on the arm of the sofa next to her. “Now are you ready to go?” She nodded and stood. They walked to the front door, a graceful couple to look at. Once more the Ferrari, was waiting, this time with the top up. “We don’t want to ruin your hair, now do we?” He helped her in, making sure her skirt wasn’t caught in the door. Then got in to the drivers seat, buckling up, he sped away from the house, towards the gallery. The drive was made in silence, each one stealing glances, and looks at the other. Forty minutes later they arrived at there destination. Josef stopped the car, but stopped Rose opening the door. “I have one more thing for you. To complement your outfit. Turn your back to me, and I’ll put it on for you.” She twisted in her seat, as she felt his cool hands, caress her neck. Then she felt him place something about it, and fasten it. She faced forward, finding the mirror in the visor. She stared at the reflection. Sitting at her throat, was the most exquisite piece of jewellery she had ever seem. The gems glittered. Diamonds, and rubies, in a platinum setting.

“Josef, I can’t accept this. It’s too much.” She was about to undo the clasp, when his hands stopped hers. He placed a kiss on her neck, and she instantly pulled away. “You said you weren’t going to seduce me.”

“I’m not. I didn’t buy the necklace. I hired it.” He went quiet, then carried on speaking. “I’m sorry about the kiss. I meant nothing by it.” He had sensed her response. His closeness had spiked her emotions, the kiss just pushed it further. He wondered how far he could go, but decided to leave it for now. There would other times and places. “Shall we go in. Please relax, and enjoy the art and the evening. Tomorrow, you start work for real.” He gave her that boyish grin again. It was full of mischief. The valet at his signal opened her door, and the pair, arm in arm walked into the gallery, and the throng within.
What Josef want's. Josef gets!

JosefsRose
Freelance freshie

Re: Every Rose has it's Thorns. PG 13

Post by JosefsRose »

Part 4

Looking like the prefect couple, Josef and Rose walked in through the main entrance. They were enthusiastically greeted by the gallery owner. “Mr Kostan, thank you for coming this evening. Your donation to the gallery, has meant so much.” He turned to face Rose. “May I add, what a charming companion you have. I’m Cordell Lockyer. Pleased to make your acquaintance.” He took her hand and shook it lightly. Inwardly Rose grimaced, she thought him obsequious.

“Cordell, may I introduce Miss Thorne.” He made the introduction formally, as if she were a debutant, being presented at her first ball. “Shall we go through?”

“Indeed, indeed. The dedication is at 9pm. Until then please enjoy yourselves.” A solicitous grin appeared on his face, and Rose swore she heard Josef growl. Then Cordell was gone, and they joined the other patrons in the main gallery. As they entered, it seemed all eyes turned to them. She was uneasy under this much scrutiny. The women stared at her, looks of hate and jealousy, the men with lust and some want. Josef, got the same looks, just the other way round. Rose’s training kicked in, and she took the chance to scan the room. She spotted the cameras and sensors, but no security personnel. That made her uncomfortable, although it was a large group of people. It was no guarantee of safety. A close range attack could be successful. She tensed, and she felt Josef squeeze her waist, as he led her in. Making further introductions to people as they went.

“Relax my dear Rose. Nothing is going to happen. Let me get you a drink.” He grabbed two glasses from a passing waiter. Wine for her, and a scotch for her. “Your tense, is something bothering you?” He led her away from the throng, and into an alcove.

“It’s probably just me, but I haven’t seen any security guards. Only the cameras and sensors. It makes me nervous.” Her brow creased in puzzlement. “Who’s making the dedication anyway?” Her tone was serious, but edged with stress.

“Why do you want to know? Do you really think someone or thing is going to attack me. You’re being paranoid. I told you to relax, you start work tomorrow. I’m perfectly safe. Now in answer to your question. I’m am.” He had a cherubic look on his face. Rose couldn’t help it, he looked so innocent, as he smiled. She gave him her own in return.

“Probably, but isn’t that what you hire me for. To be paranoid about your safety. You should have told me you were the key speaker. I can see you’re going to make my job that much harder.” She shook her head in dismay. “Well since you feel safe. I’ll go look as some of the paintings.” She turned away from him, but knew he had followed her. Until he got side tracked, by someone. Rose continued on. Studying the works of art. Mostly done by up and coming artists. A little way from the crowd she came across several pieces by the masters. The room alone held 40 or 50 million dollars worth of works. A quick scan of the room, and she had identified the cameras, both the dummy, and real ones. The laser grid, and motion sensors. She also surmised that the pictures had pressure sensors. Not a bad set up. She returned to her inspection of the paintings. She stood in front of a landscape, noting the painter was Gainsborough. The title of the painting ‘Sunset’. She studied the colours of the sky. Taking in the fine brushwork.

She twisted just to glance back into the main galley. The smoozing was going full steam ahead. Then she stopped and stared, as someone caught her attention. She was hidden from view where she stood, and could observe the room silently. Then the crowd shifted, and the figure was gone. She had only seen them for a second, and from that distance it could have been a coincidence. She went back to the paintings. Moving around the room, she stood by two Van Gogh’s. One an early work, the other from his impressionist period. Both were of churches. Yet so different.

“There some of his lesser known works. So which do you prefer?” Josef had found her, and yet again snuck up on her.

“I swear Josef, I’ll deck you ,if you keep doing that to me.” she faced him, her face serious, but her eyes were smiling. “I consider him one of the masters. His work evolved over his lifetime. They are two different styles. His earlier style was classically influenced. The impressionist period, seems more freeform to my eye. I noticed another one of his pieces here.” She crossed to another painting. It looked familiar.

“Sunflowers.” Josef quipped. “One of his most recognisable works.” Rose snickered, and Josef raised an eyebrow, in an unspoken question.

“It’s not the famous picture, This one is entitled ‘Vase with Twelve Sunflowers’ The vase is a lighter shade of yellow, and there are more flowers. I prefer this one to the other one. So what’s your take on his art? Judging by the pieces, in your office, you prefer Monet, and Renoir. You seem to like the French painters.”

“He was mad. I mean who cuts off their ear, to give to their girlfriend. Though I do like some of his work. His starry Night paintings are good. Your quite knowledgeable on this. Your take on my art passion is pretty close to the mark. I have other pieces at my home. What about you, you like the masters, but I think you like the more modern painters. Someone like Andy Warhol?”

“Pollock.” she stated.

“What? Did you just say bol…” She cut him off with a giggle, and smile.

“P.o.l.l.o.c.k.. As in Jackson Pollock. I like the randomness of some of his work. I guess it all comes down to personal interpretation. Warhol, is too repetitive in his work, for my liking. It’s pop art. Though very iconic for it’s time. Just not my style.” She continued around the gallery walls appreciating the various pieces. Talking fine art with Josef. He was surprised at her knowledge, he was beginning to get a glimpse of the kind of person she was. He checked his watch, scowling at the time.

“Time for me to stand up, and waffle. I really hate public speaking.” He offered his arm to her, and she placed her hand on his elbow. As if they were strolling through a park, they walked towards the podium. Rose stood to one side, as he stepped up. She swept the room again, this time noticing uniformed guards. Yet something else bothered her. She couldn’t put her finger on it, something was very wrong. Something in the room had changed.

Cordell Lockyer was stood, droning on about the gallery and how long it had taken to get the collections together. Then he introduced Josef, and her attention shifted to the man. She tilted her head up, viewing the finely clad figure. She noticed his broad shoulders, his slim waist, the cut of his trousers. Her gaze washed over the slight bulge in the tailoring. Her mind wandered. She heard his voice, melodic, and deep. It captivated her, held her enthralled. Her eyes flowed upward, finding his face, his boyish good looks, his deep, warm hazel eyes. She could fall into them forever. His lips, dusky, pink. She watched with rapture. Thinking how soft they were. Reluctantly she pulled her eyes off him, returning her focus to the crowd. The women listened in awe, gazes unfocused. The men more business like, solemn, controlled, nodding when necessary. From this calm, came chaos. The staccato sound of rapid gunfire, broke the mood of the room. Screams added to the uproar. Rose reached up, and pulled Josef down from the podium. She hissed “Get down and keep low.” She pulled him back towards the small gallery, they had just come from. They had almost made it when more shots rang out. Rose stiffened then continued forward. With a deliberate move, she shifted one of the paintings. It triggered the security measures. A screen door dropped down effectively sealing them in the room. The last thing Rose saw was a gunman, dressed in a guards uniform aiming at her. The shots rattled on the door. Josef was stood in the corner furthest away from her. She held her breath, hearing the pounding on the door. She took a step away from the door, turning slowly around her gaze took in all the details. The door they came in the only obvious exit. Her head tilted up, now viewing the upper part of the room. There were several air vents. Only one though, was big enough for what she needed. The pounding on the door, was almost constant. Her attention shifted back to Josef, he hadn’t moved. “Mr Kostan, what’s your status? Are you uninjured?” She got no response, she took a step towards him. “Josef,” she raised her voice, gathering his attention. His eyes seemed to glow. “Are you hurt?” She stepped back from him, giving him room.

His teeth were clenched, and his whole body taught. “I’m fine. But your not.” He gave a growl, a low and deep sound which resonated in the room.

“I’ll be fine, but we need to get out of here.” She kept her distance. Instinct telling her to stay where she was. “I need you to focus, and I need your help.” Her voice was calm, but held an underlying edge of pain. She heard Josef taking some calming breaths, even over the banging. Finally he spoke up.

“What do you need me to do? You should take care of your own injury first.” He could see her watchful eyes, Something in them knew questions were building.

All her training had kicked in. She ignored her own pain, using it to focus on the task at hand. Getting them out of the situation they were in. “Ok . I need a bunk up. I need to get the cover off the air shaft. It’s big enough for us to crawl along.” She took a tentative step forward. Josef closed the rest of the way. The smell of her blood to him, was intense, a draw. It took all his ability not to give in, and taste it.

“Lead the way Mc Duff.” he quipped. He wanted to check her over, but he realised she wasn’t going to let him. Not until she considered him safe. They stepped over to the wall, and he interlaced his fingers, giving her a step up. Her dress wasn’t the easiest thing to work in. still, she reached inside her petticoats and withdrew a small knife.

She saw the look he gave her. “What? It’s only a small one.” She huffed and put her foot in his hands. “Just hold me steady.” Josef lifted her with ease, but made small noises of effort. She worked at the fixings, The knife slipped. “Damn. Ughh” Josef lowered her.

He took her hand, pulling his handkerchief from breast pocket, he wrapped it about her hand. “Let me try. Do you think you can hold my weight?” He really wasn’t giving her a choice. She just stepped up to the wall, handed him the knife, then braced her hands. Josef lightly stepped up. Wrapping his fingers through the grill, he made clinking noises with the knife, then just pulled the grill off the wall. “He got down facing her. “Now what? I’m guessing you have a plan.” He returned the knife to her, watching as she replaced under her skirt. “Just what else do you have hidden under there?” He had a leer, on his boyish features.

“Yes I have a plan. Sort of. Bunk me back up, then I’ll pull you up. As for what else is under my dress. That’s for me to know, and maybe you could find out.” she raised her own eyes at him. Her attention shifted to the door. The hammering had stopped. “We need to move fast. Help me up.” Josef gave her a bunk up, then pulled himself into the gap. He pushed her on. The urge to lift her skirt was great, but the urges from the smell of her blood in the confined space was immense.

It was dark in the conduit, yet she pushed on, imagining in her mind the layout of the building. They moved as silently as possible, pausing occasionally, listening for any clue that they might be being followed. Josef on the other hand could see clearly. His sensitive hearing, picking up everything, including her heart beat. He was impressed. It had stayed relatively level. Then he picked something up. “Can you hear something? Sounds like fans.” She stopped, straining to hear.

“Yeah I can just. We’re approaching the main junction. Wait here. I’ll check up ahead. If they got into the room, they’ll know we’re in the conduit system. The machine and pump room would be there best bet, to wait us out.” With a last glance over her shoulder she moved off towards the hum of machinery. Once she was out of sight, Josef moved down one of the other tunnels. He was back before Rose. She came back shaking her head. “We can’t go that way. There’s a large fan just this side of the opening. It would decapitate anything that tries to go through it.” She looked crestfallen. “I’ll check the other ways, then get back to you.” Josef’s hand stalled her.

“I checked this way. It ends in a grill like the one we came through. No-one was in the room. It appeared to be an office. But it’s your call.” He saw a light in her eyes.

“OK your turn to lead the way. Then I can stare at your ass.” She gave him a light laugh. “What you don’t think, I knew you were looking. I could feel your eyes burning all the way through my skirts.” Josef was speechless, then just moved off. Not used to not, having a retort, he shook his head. A few minutes later they reached the grill. Josef took the offered knife, but just put his shoulder to it. It popped, and he clambered out. Twisting, offering his arms up, to help Rose. Once she had her feet back on the floor, her knees buckled. She sat hard, down on the floor. She closed her eyes, taking deep, slow breaths. Josef stood at a distance, calming himself, regaining his control. Then as suddenly as she had sat down, she stood. Took in the room, then headed to the door. Pressing her ear to the solid door, she listened. Hearing nothing, she cautiously opened it a crack. She peered out. The hallway was clear. She motioned for Josef to follow her. Hugging the wall they made their way towards an emergency exit. They reached the exit, and Rose pushed it open, only to come face to face with a uniformed officer.

Part 5

The officer had been stationed at the rear of the gallery. After the alarms had been triggered, only one unit had been dispatched. Normally it would have been more, but the gallery, had suffered several false alarm, and it was considered by the dispatcher this was probably more of the same. The original unit called back, they required more units and paramedic units. Now it seemed all the excitement had finished. It appeared from statements given by witnesses, that at least two people were missing. Now running routine patrol, they heard a fire exit being pushed open. Putting in the call for back up, they drew their gun, and trained it on the door. The officer braced, ready to shoot. The door swung open and two very dirty, very pale looking people stood, shocked staring at them. “Hands where I can see them, then step out slowly.”

Rose, crumpled, the stress and blood loss finally taking its toll on her. Josef caught her, sweeping her into his arms. He stepped out into the alley. “She needs an ambulance now.” His tone was forceful. Having been stood behind her, he had seen the back of her dress awash with blood. A very confused officer stood in front of him. Seemingly hesitant to do anything. So taking charge, he looked down the alley they were stood in, seeing the blue flashing lights of cruisers and paramedic units, he headed towards them. He was approached halfway, by a man in a suit. He recognised him. He knew he was a lieutenant that both Mick, and Beth had dealt with. He didn’t stop moving.

“Sir I need you to stop.” Josef just kept going.

“She needs medical help now. You can try and stop me.” He kept listening to Rose’s heart. It was steady, she was a strong person. He strode up to the nearest paramedic. “She’s been shot, and lost a fair bit of blood. Just take care of her.” His eyes flashed, but under the blue strobes, it was lost. Now he faced the lieutenant. “I’m sorry, she was my priority. What can I do for you?”

“I’m Lt Carl Davies. I need to get some facts, about what happened her this evening. Could you tell me who you are, and the injured ladies name?” He held his note book in one hand, and pencil in the other, ready to make notes.

“I’m Josef Kostan, the young lady, was my guest. Rose Thorne. She was also the one who got us out.” He watched the medics working on her, wanting to stay by her side. He gave an inward smirk, as the paramedic lifted her skirts, only to find the knife she had hidden. The man held it up to show Lt Davies. “She was my security officer. She came prepared.” He raised an incredulous brow. “Now what happened Lt Davies?” Josef turned the tables.

“I thought you could tell me.” Carl was reluctant to give any information out, but something in Josef’s eyes made him. “There was a theft here. Armed robbers took several works of art, and personal items from the patrons.” He saw Josef’s attention was the unconscious figure in the ambulance. “Mr Kostan, would you like to go with her. I could find you at the hospital, and get a statement from you there.” Josef shook his head.

“I’ll go in my car. I have calls to make. I will give you a statement tomorrow, at my office if you wish to call. If I’m not there, my secretary will let you know my location.” He continued observing the ambulance, as the doors were closed, and it pulled away. Then he turned on his heals, and moved to where the valets parked the car. He found his keys, and sat behind the wheel. Pulling out his phone he made several calls. Then pulled away, and drove to the hospital.

Rose awoke, feeling sore, and groggy. She was no longer in the dress she had started the evening in. Nor was she at her apartment. She was finding it hard to focus, to concentrate on anything. She was more worried about her personal items, she had secreted on herself. There had been the knife, but also a small pistol. Strapped to her thigh. She liked to be prepared. Carefully lifting her head, she scanned the room. It was plush, but she concluded she was in hospital. Now she had to try and remember the events that put her in there. She was hooked up to several monitors, and drips. She checked herself. Her hand was bandaged. She remembered the knife slicing it, as she had tried to get the cover off the vent. She was also bandaged around her waist, and upper thigh. Her memory on that was hazy. She lay back and tried to recall the events of the evening. Her head swam, and she closed her eyes, resting them for a moment. When she opened them again, Josef was stood by her bed side. He was smiling down at her. “Hey sleepy head, how are you feeling?” He was holding a bunch of red roses.

“Like someone hit me with a MAC truck. Are you alright, Mr Kostan?” Her eyes scanned his body, noting he had changed his suit. Her eyes stopped, focusing on his eyes. A question popped into her head, and she heard her voice asking. “What are you?” though she wasn’t sure she had said it aloud. He gave nothing away if she had.

“Rose, I’m fine. It’s you who got hurt. What do you remember?” He sat on the edge of the bed, careful not to move it too much. His head was tilted as he regarded her.

“Not a whole lot, last night is kind of fuzzy. Are you going to fill in the blanks?” She tried to sit up, but Josef gently held her down.

“Only if you stay still. You don’t want to split your stitches.”

“Stitches, what the hell happened? Oh God!” He saw her get a flash of memory. “There were armed men at the gallery. I got shot. I had to make sure you were safe.” Her head turned to the window. It was dark outside, but she knew it proved nothing. “How long?”

“Two days, today is Thursday. The police need to talk to you. They’ll need a statement from you. I on the other hand owe you thanks. So thank you. As for what happened, it was a heist. A well organised theft. Around 100 million dollars worth of art, and belongings were stolen. Three other people were injured, and one killed.” Anger flashed in his eyes, and she noticed that pale quality again. “I nearly lost you, your heart stopped beating twice on the operating table. You have a very strong will to live, or maybe your just stubborn.”

Rose laughed, stopping abruptly, as a burst of pain shot through her. “Oww, that hurt. Most likely the second option. I hadn’t completed my task. I had to make sure your ass was safe. Now I can die in peace.” She feigned dying, overacting the whole thing. Causing the tension to break. She smiled at him. “I’ll be back at work tomorrow.” waving her hand in a grand gesture.

“Oh I think not. You’ve got some time off.” The mischievous grin was on his lips again. Oh how she wanted to feel those lips on hers. Whoa, she shook herself. Not the sort of thought to be having about her boss. He thoughts were interrupted by the doctor coming in.

“Good, your awake. How do you feel? Any numbness?” he read her chart as he questioned her.

“Like I got hit by a truck, and no. Should there be?” she was a little puzzled by his last question. The doctor glanced up at her. He re-hung the chart and stepped to her side. In silence he checked the monitors, and her. “I asked a question. Should I have any numbness?” Her voice hardened, and Josef smirked. She had put the doctor on the spot.

“Miss Thorne, we had to operate close to your spine, to remove the bullet. You should remain stationary for at least two weeks. You run the risk of further injury if you don’t.” He faced Josef, “Mr Kostan, a pleasure to see you again. Maybe you can get your friend to understand.” Then he headed to the door. “I’ll come back in the morning. We can discuss in greater detail your continuing treatment.” then he was gone.

“I’m not staying here for two weeks. I hate hospitals, they smell like…like sick people.” She scrunched up her nose, sniffing. She smiled, all she could smell were the flowers that adorned her room. “Well at least this room smells nice. Did you arrange all this?” She shifted, and the pain made her grimace.

“I told you, I treat my staff well. You saved my life, and this is the least I can do. Now about you staying put. It is for your own safety. I need you fit and healthy. If you want to leave it will be on one condition.” She was tense, she didn’t like being helpless.

“One condition. What is it?” She was listening to him. Her breathing was slightly heavy, her heart rate elevated.

“You stay at my house. I’ll ensure your care, and relaxation. There really is no compromise. Either my house, or here in the hospital. Your choice.” His tone was all business.

“Your not giving me a choice. You know my decision. You’ve obviously talked to the doctor. When?” She was resigned to accept his help.

“Tomorrow afternoon. You need to get some more rest, and speak to the doctor in the morning. Now I have some arrangements to make.” He was about to leave, and Rose held out her arm to stop him.

Josef, please would you stay a while.” Her voice was small. “Tell me what was taken from the gallery, and maybe you could let the police know, I’m awake. I could give them my statement. Get it out of the way.” She gave him a wan smile.

Josef stepped back to the side of the bed. “ I’ll stay, but I’ve got calls to make. I’ll make them while you give your statement. I saw Lt Davies in the lobby, I’ll find him and send him up.” Then with a final grin, he was gone. Being alone, gave Rose time to think over the events of that night, to get things clear in her head. A light knock on the door, brought her back to the present.

“Come in.” From her prone position she watched a tall, smartly dressed man walk in. A police badge, clipped to the waist band of his trousers.

“I’m Lt Carl Davies. Mr Kostan told me, you were prepared to give me your statement. Are you sure you’re up to this?” He stood at the foot of her bed, and Rose lifted her head, to see him.

“Please Lieutenant Davies, sit down. Now is a good as time as any. I’m not going anywhere.” She joked. “So ask your questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.” Carl sat in the chair next to her, pulling out his note book, and pencil. For the next hour and a half, he asked questions, and Rose gave her account of what happened. Even going as far as to tell him her unease about the security. Towards the end, she kept trying to shift, as she became increasingly uncomfortable.

“Thank you for your time Miss Thorne. I don’t think we’ll need to talk again, but I’ll contact you if there is anything further.” he noted her discomfort. “Would you like me to get a nurse? You seem restless.” Rose gritted her teeth, as another shot of pain ran through her. Unable to give an answer she nodded. “I’ll call one for you. Thank you again Miss Thorne.” He stood, gave a brief nod and left. Moments later a nurse came in, saw her elevated blood pressure, and heart rate. Checked the chart then, injected something directly into her cannular.

“That should give you some respite Miss Thorne. You’ll be more comfortable in a few minutes.” She jotted down the details on the chart, and left, just as Josef was arriving. He noticed the glassy look in her eyes, and the smell of an opiate medication. He sat on the edge of the bed again, holding her hand.

“You still with us Miss Thorne?” He gazed down at her, wondering more about her.

“Hmm. Still here. I feel kinda weird. Happy sort of.” She raised her hand to his face. Stroking down his cheek. “Josef, I keep thinking things about you, and I want to know more.” her words were slurring as the medication took hold. She was high, the slight flush of her cheeks, and dilation of her pupils physical reactions. “How old are you?” Josef decided to take opportunity presented to him.

“I’ll tell you about me, if you tell me about you. Is that fair?” he held her hand, it was cool, and he could feel her pulse beneath his fingers.

“Oohhkay Josef, I’ll give.” She gave him a drunken grin. “So how old are you?”

He decided to tell her the truth, in her present state, she wouldn’t remember. “How old? I look about 27, but I’m really 410 years old. What about you, how old are you?

She was giggling, “You look good, for your age don’t you?” Still laughing she gave the rest of her reply. “Me though, I’m 35. I’m old, an old maid.” She looked pitiful, and innocent. Then her face shifted again, to an impish look, as her questioning continued. “Where were you born, where do you originally come from?” She giggled again, she was staring at his face, her head tilted to one side as she regarded him. She was chewing on her bottom lip. Her eyes drooping, as the meds made her sleepy.

“I was born in Russia, I travelled across Europe, and finally came to the U.S.A. If anyone else was to ask me I was born here in California. Now you, where do herald from?” He listened to her breathing. It was slowing, as she drifted closer to sleep.

“Hmm,” She was less responsive. “I was born on a plane, over the sea. I have no home, no-one to know what I do.” She yawned, “No-one to….” then she was sleep. Smiling a gentle smile, Josef leant forward and laid a small kiss on Rose’s lips. To his surprise, she reacted, and kissed him back. Her eyes fluttered for a moment, locking on his, then closed once more, as drug induced oblivion pulled her under. Josef, stayed next to her for a while. Just talking to her, telling his history. Telling her about how he became what he was.

When Rose woke in the morning, Josef had gone. She had vague memories of asking him questions, and the replies he gave her. To be honest, she didn’t trust her memories, of them. She knew she had been medicated, after giving Lt Davies her statement. The meds just made her suggestible, and Josef just took advantage of it. He told her a tale, that was the simple answer. Why would he tell her anything, he was just her employer. Her thoughts were interrupted, by the door opening, and the doctor entering. “Good morning, you look rested.” As he spoke he checked her chart. “Ahh, You had some painkiller last night, might I suggest, that you don’t let it get that far again. The dosage given, was quite large. Enough to knock out a far larger person. Now about your recovery. I assume that you took Mr Kostan’s offer, to be relocated to his home. He has arranged for your constant care. Yet the onus is on you. You must be patient, and let yourself heal. One week of complete bed rest, then the stitches will have had time to heal. Then three, maybe four weeks wearing a brace. The damage was extensive. You are very lucky to be alive, you lost more blood than many, and remained standing. If you follow this treatment program you will make a full recovery, if you don’t, well I make no promises. Do you understand what it is I am telling you?”

“Perfectly. I have little choice, there or here. Health or ill-heath. Just tell when I can leave.” She hated not being in control, and lying in a hospital bed, unable to move was debilitating to her.

“Once the final arrangements have been made, late this afternoon should be possible.” He made a few notes on the chart, and replaced it. “I’ll contact Mr Kostan and give him the news. I want to reiterate your final recovery is up to you.” He had a grave look on his face. Then with a final nod he left. Leaving Rose alone with her thoughts once more. She considered her life, moving from base to base, with her family. Putting herself through the paces, other recruits went through. Then the crash. The crash that left her alone. In a matter of minutes she was stripped of her family. Both parents and her brother, gone. She had been in hospital for weeks after that. It was where her hatred of hospitals came from, making her the person she had become. Lying here brought back the painful memories, and she started to cry. The tears ran unchecked down her face. She never let herself get close to anyone, she built a wall about her heart, and no-one had ever breached it. Until now. How did he get to her. He put her off balance, made her drop her guard. As hard as she tried to keep her self detached, she found herself thinking of him. She closed her eyes willing away the tears. She hit the call button and waited for the nurse.

“What can I help you with Miss Thorne?” She stepped to her side.

“I’m hungry, I can’t really remember the last time I ate anything. Could you get me something?” Her stomach growled accenting her statement. Rose bit her bottom lip embarrassed.

The nurse smiled, “No problem, I’ll get you some breakfast. Do you like porridge, or cereal?”

“Er, well the cereal sounds good, muesli if you’ve got it. Oh and I’d love coffee. Black with one sugar. Thanks.” She smiled, yet the lightness never got to her eyes. They remained cold.

“Sure, give me a few minutes and I’ll be back with your food.” She was gone, and true to her word returned with a tray in her hand. She helped Rose eat her breakfast, then with the use of a straw, drink her coffee. Rose found the whole thing degrading, and humiliating. The nurse clear the tray to one side, and returned to her side. “The doctor said you’re being moved today. I wondered would you like to have a wash? It will make you feel fresher, and cleaner.” It was an honest question, but it was a step too far for Rose. She snapped.

“No. Get out, get out now. Leave me alone.” the tears burst the dam again, and she wept. Wept for herself, and for her lost family. Eventually she cried herself to sleep. It was like this , that Josef found her. He could sense all the pity and self hatred she felt, and his heart bled.

mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Wow--this is a great story!! I love it and look forward to reading more of it... :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :woohoo: :eyes: :bmoon: :gasp: :juggle: :seesaw: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :hearts:

mitzie
JosefsRose
Freelance freshie

Post by JosefsRose »

Same disclaimer. He's not mine. :hankie: :sigh:
You may want a hankie for this bit.

Part 6

Josef had made all the arrangements, he had one area of his house made into a temporary medical ward. He had a couple of his freshies, acting as nurses. They were going through medical school, at his expense. The doctor had agreed to make house calls. And, and this was the biggie. Everyone had agreed to keep his secret, the girls would have to be careful around her, but he trusted them. The ambulance would take her to his place, then he would be able to keep a watch on her. He felt a need to protect her, as much as she protected him. What was there about her that fascinated him. She was mortal, a weak human. Yet something about her, caught his attention. She was strong, snarky, She reminded him of himself in that respect. Though he felt an underlying vulnerability. He wanted to know more, Ryder had found very little about her. She was a wraith, as mysterious as himself, and those of his kind. He turned to face her, her eyes were open and studying him. “What were you thinking about Josef?” Her face was soft, though dark rings accented her eyes. A reminder of her pain.

“Just the past, and the future. What about you, how are you this fine day?” he smiled at her.

“Oh, sore. I have some very fuzzy memories of us talking last night. Some of your replies I remember, seemed a bit far fetched. A result of the pain meds they gave me. It’s pretty powerful stuff whatever it was. I see questions in your eyes Josef. What do you want to ask, or know?” She tried her best to hide how she felt, as far as Josef was concerned, she was strong, and could cope with anything. She wouldn’t let him see her weakness.

“We can talk once your settle at my house. You asked me yesterday what was taken from the gallery. Do you remember the room we were in?”

“Sure, we discussed our art preferences.” She smiled at the memory.

“They took several pieces from there. A Manet, and a Monet, as well as the Van Gogh paintings. They killed one guard, and three others were injured, one seriously. He’s in intensive care, it’s touch and go whether or not he survives. You seem to have an inane sense of danger. My office, and the gallery. Twice now you’ve been there.” He had unwittingly admitted the first attack.

“You owned the paintings didn’t you? That was your contribution to the gallery, your donation.” She chose to ignore his slip, deciding he would tell her, how he survived in his own time. “As for my ability to sense danger. It’s training and paranoia. You know about paranoia, don’t you?” Her hand rested on his arm, she gripped a bit harder, as the pain started to pulse. She reached for the call button. “I think I better get a handle on this pain, I don’t want a repeat of last night.”

“Sure, your health is top priority at the moment.” he waited as the nurse came in and gave her a dose of pain relief. The effects took only minutes to work. “Feeling more comfortable now?”

“Yeah, it’s like being drunk or high, I seem to forget the pain. I know it’s there, but I don’t care. You didn’t answer my question. The paintings are yours, aren’t they?”

“What if they were, the loss of that art means nothing. People died, you almost died. I don’t take kindly to people endangering those close to me. Let alone attacking me. There will be retribution.” His anger flared. And he turned from her to gain control. “My paranoia, has kept me alive. I have made many enemies, and I have few friends, I can’t run the risk of them being used against me. That’s why I hire the best, and you are the best.” Josef’s phone buzzed. “I need to take this. I’ll see you at the house later, I have to go back into work.” He didn’t look at her as he left. She was left wondering about him again. He seemed to have seen so much for one so young. She lay still, letting the pain medication take it’s course. Drifting in and out of sleep. She awoke to a nurse removing the drips from her arm, and disconnecting the monitors.

“There going to be moving you in a couple of minutes. Are you comfortable, your pain under control?” She manually checked her vitals.

“Not comfortable, but then I never was one for staying still, and laying on my back.” She smothered a laugh, realising what she had just said could be taken another way. “My pains fine, they gave me something earlier.” she added quickly. Then two orderlies came in and shifted her to a stretcher. Rose had to breathe deeply as they moved her. Then they whisked through the corridors and into a waiting private ambulance. The man with her didn’t speak much during the drive, just asking questions to check on her status. She heard the crunch of gravel beneath the tyres, as they pulled into Josef’s driveway. The rear doors opened and she was manoeuvred out and then into the house. More corridors passed by, then she as wheeled into a room. Waiting for her were two nurses, both perfect specimens for models. She deduced they worked for Josef. They were just his style. They both came over to her bedside.

“Hello Rose, I’m Chantal, and this is Phoebe. Were going to be you carers. Your notes from the hospital have already been reviewed, and so have the treatment recommendations. Although Josef, has told us you are impatient, and a restless soul. We will do our best to keep you occupied.” Chantal, was a blonde with striking blue eyes, Although she wore make up it was kept to a minimum. Phoebe on the other hand was the opposite, currently she was dressed in a bright red mini dress, her red hair flowed down over her shoulders. Her face was made up as if she were going out for the evening.

“Nice to meet you both. Forgive me if I don’t get up.” She cracked a joke, and the girls laughed, “Sorry, but humour is the only thing I have at the moment.”

“I understand, I’m on the first shift, and Phoebe will be on later. Do you have anything you like doing, or favourite TV or movies?” Phoebe, had stepped away, waving from the door way.

“Rose honey, I’ll chat with you later, for now I have to go, or I’ll be late.” then she left, the clicking of her heels, sounding out as she traversed the hall.

“Chantal, Thank you for your concern. Josef is a very astute person, and perfectly correct in saying I’m impatient. As for things to do. I like reading classical novels, discussing fine art, and to a lesser extent, following the stocks. I never really watched TV, and never really had time to go to the movies. Do you have any suggestions about films we could watch? I think you’re the best person to ask.” She relaxed back, gazing at the mural on the ceiling. It was a copy of the Sistine Chapel. “That’s impressive!”

“Josef thought you would like it. This used to be his private gallery.” She had looked up to study the mural herself, “As for films, have you read The Lord of the Rings?”

“Tolkien, Yes, I read all the books several times.” She remembered they had made films from them. “They made films from the books recently.”

“Yes. Josef has them on DVD, the extended versions. The three films run a total of nine or so hours. We could have a movie marathon, watch all of them in one go. Then there is various versions of Romeo and Juliet. From West Side story, to the version with Leonardo DiCaprio. Pride and Prejudice. I’m sure we’ll find something. The rest of your interests, your probably better off talking to Josef, they’re more his style. Especially stock and shares.” Would you like me to find any of the films, or perhaps a book. Josef has an extensive library.” There was genuine interest in her care, not just someone doing a job.

Rose thought for a while before she spoke, “If he’s got a copy of War and Peace, I wouldn’t mind that.” Her lips were askew, and she bit her lip, drawing blood.

“Don’t do that!” a horrified look crossed Chantal’s face.

“What, don’t do what?” Rose was confused, she hadn’t done anything. Chantal stepped over wiping the blood from her lips. Not saying another word until she finished.

“Sorry, but chewing lips is a pet hate of mine. I’ll head to the library, and see if I can find that book for you.” she hope she had covered up her slip. “Do you want anything before I go?” Rose shock her head, still confused by the reaction her biting had caused. She focused on the fresco above her, taking in the exquisite details. She had never seen the real thing, only digital photos. The lines and contrasts were beautiful, the artistry perfect. She barely registered the door opening. It was his voice that snapped her attention back.

“It’s a perfect copy. So are you comfortable? Well as comfortable as you can be.” He moved into her field of vision. “You look better, more colour.” he spotted the smear of blood on her lip. “You been hungry?” he raise his brow at her, and smirked.

“Yep, absolutely starving, what’s a girl got to do to get fed around here. No seriously Josef, I’m fine. I guess, this is better than the hospital. It doesn’t smell as bad. Thank you for doing this for me. Do you have time to finish our talk now?” She was bored, and he intrigued her.

“Why not, shall we start at the beginning. I know your name, and your age, but you fell asleep after that.” He smiled at the memory of her, and the brief kiss. That fleeting moment when he tasted her. He wondered what her blood would taste like. Her medical records showed her as B+. Rose would have dropped her head in shame, but as she was flat, she just turned her head away. “Rose, you have no reason to be ashamed. The meds made you sleep. Now.” Gently he turned her head, using two fingers. “What about family? You first then, I’ll tell you about mine. Quid Pro Quo.”

Rose tried to centre her thoughts, she was never one to talk about her past. It hurt too much. Josef felt her turmoil, but remained silent. “Josef,…” She fought the tears. “Josef I don’t.. have any.” There she had said it. He was smirking at her. It made her annoyed. “What do you find so funny?”

“Sorry, everyone has family, you had to be born, or did you hatch? Fall from heaven?” In his own way, he was trying to lighten the moment.

“Neither, I was born on a troop carrier, some where over the pacific. Property of the United States Army. My ass belonged to them.” She regarded him, and the softness in his eyes, and realised his intention. Her tongue darted out, and moistened her lips, as her hand reached for the glass of water on her bed side. She almost knocked it over, but Josef caught it. “Thanks. Sorry, my family is a hard subject. I’m the only one left. I have no other family.” She took a deep breath and took the plunge, she was going to tell him. “My family were killed in accident. Mum, Dad, and my brother. We were in a light aircraft, my dad and brother were piloting it. We all heading off on vacation, before my brother shipped out for active service. One last family trip. Well it certainly turned into that. We were over the mountains, when the plane suffered an engine failure. My dad tried to recover the plane, but we crashed. The plane broke up on impact with the trees. He and my brother died almost instantly, my mum, died from her injuries. She sustained, internal damage. As for me. I was in a rear facing seat. The rescue team recon, that’s most likely what saved me. I was unconscious for 5 days. I sustained a fractured spine, broken leg, broke my wrist, and arm in five different places. Plus a bruises and contusions. I was in hospital for four months recovering. I came to hate the smell, it reminded me of my frailty. The Army graciously let me have a flat on base, until I could get something sorted. I used the time to become stronger, and more efficient. I was in the Army, but not IN the Army. I relocated to Chicago, and went into security there. I was young, but not stupid.” She stopped, she hadn’t noticed the tears, she cried, at loss and in love. Josef wiped the tears away. He said nothing, waiting for Rose to finish. She locked onto his gaze, falling into his Hazel eyes. “I’ve never told anyone that. What is there about you?” She held his hand, bringing it to her face. She inhaled his scent, taking in that slight muskiness that was mixed with his expensive cologne.

“I’m a good listener, and maybe it was just the right time to tell the story. My own family, is living and breathing. My parents are in Europe. Travelling. I have a sister, she’s studying in Connecticut. I’m the black sheep of the family, I was disowned. I went my own way, and as you can see. I am doing very well for myself. I was born in California, and I’m 27 years old. Not married, and have no long term girl friend. I’m a playboy.” he gave her a very cheesy grin. She dropped his hand, and giggled. “So I’m guessing your not married, any love interests?”

“No!” She hurried, then added. “Never thought about it. In my line of work, I wouldn’t risk it. I couldn’t let someone else go through the loss if something happened to me. So no. No attachments.” He mind wandered, thinking about him. There was more to him, than what he was telling her. She was back to the memories she didn’t trust. A dream of him talking to her, of kissing her. She knew that couldn’t have happened. She was definitely not his type. She brought herself back to the present. “Chantal, said we have a lot in common. Other than art, and maybe literature. She said you have an extensive library. She was going to see if you have War and Peace.”

“I do as it happens, a first edition.” They were regarding each other, with interest. “My library has a lot of first editions, I’m a collector of fine thing. So we have two things in common. Anything else?” He was enjoying talking to her, as he had the night at the gallery.

“You’re a fund trader right, well you could advise me on my portfolio. I’ve dabbled in the stocks and investments market.” Then her stomach growled, and she looked at the time. They had been talking for hours. “Opps, looks like my body’s decided it needs feeding. I must also be keeping you from your work.”

“I run my own company. If I decide I’m not going into the office, then I don’t. As for your portfolio, I’ll take a look at it for you.” He stood up. “I’ll send Chantal back with some dinner for you. I’ll see you in a couple of hours. I have to check a few things at work, and get something to eat myself.” He lifted her hand and placed a light kiss on the knuckles. If Rose had been standing, that small gesture would have made her knees weak. With a smile he left. Leaving Rose disorientated. She had told him her greatest secret, and the pain of the loss had eased. After 25 years, she felt lighter, a burden had been lifted from her. But something else had taken it’s place. Want.

Part 7

Josef sat in his study, thinking. Thinking about Rose, about what she had told him. It must have taken a lot of nerve to tell him. The feelings she had rolling of her were intense. It was one reason he had had to leave her side. The other reason being he need to feed. Chantal had a shift at the hospital, and Phoebe was getting changed. She was due to watch the patient. He buzzed the intercom. “Flo, would you care to join me in the study.” he smiled at the thought of the young woman currently on her way to him. She was a fine vintage, 1989, and AO+. The young strawberry blond sauntered in, and presented herself to him. “Ahh sweet Flo, Thank you.” He stood and walked to her side, sweeping the hair from her neck, he strummed the pulse with his thumb, before he tenderly bit down. Waves of allure calmed the girl as Josef, fed. Taking in her warm blood, her sustenance. She gave a small moan of pleasure, and softened in his arms. Josef could taste her aroused emotions in her blood. Finishing he licked the twin punctures. As his features returned to normal. “My dear that was perfect.” he walked her to the door, his arm about her waist, in light support. He watched her take a seat on one of the chaise lounge’s, before he returned to his seat. He pulled up the stocks market, wincing as he scanned the financial reports. He wasn’t going to make the killing he originally thought, on one of his deals. Ce la vie, he thought to himself.

Rose lay on the bed, reading. Phoebe, had brought in a copy of war and peace. She looked completely different now. Gone was the short dress and war paint, in came the medical scrubs and professional manner. She was a fun person to talk to. She had talked a while, explaining that she was a second year med student, the same as Chantal. Her cover story was that she worked in Josef’s offices and as a nurse, working her way through med school. Rose listened, but knew a lie when she heard it, but didn’t press the matter. Phoebe, was a lover of old movies. She chatted endlessly about, the fifties musicals, and even some of the classic horror films. Her favourite, was Dracula, with Bela Lugosi. After eating a light meal with her, she offered to show Rose how to self medicate. Giving her the chance of some control over her own pain. Rose turned her down, stating “I hate needles, and I could never inject myself. At least if one of you guys do it, I don’t have to look.” Phoebe laughed.

“You’re afraid of needles. Sorry, but from what I had been told, your afraid of nothing. You get shot, and carry knives and gun, but a small needle freaks you. That’s just mad.”

“Putting it like that, you’re right it is mad, but I have my reasons.” She gave her a grin, and a chuckle, then winced as she pulled at the stitches as she moved. Phoebe, stepped over.

“Here, let me try and make you a little more comfortable.” She had brought in a special pillow. Gently lifting Rose head, she slipped it behind her head. “It will support your neck, taking a small amount of strain off your back. Does it feel any better?”

“Thanks, it does feel more comfortable, I never could get relaxed, flat like that.” It was clear her full medical records were not there, old injuries gave rise to their own problems. “Phoebe,?”

“Yes Rose, what can I do for you.” She was efficient in all she did.

“What’s your take on Josef? Why would he do all this for me? I only just started working for him.” These questions plagued her, along with others. She had put Phoebe on the spot.

“Josef, is one of the nicest people you could ever work for. He inspires others to do their best. He might look young, but he has a wisdom that is far older. He garners respect even from others older than himself. How else would he have survived so long.” Phoebe was so caught up, she missed her slip. “As for why he would do all this.” She gestured to the room. “You saved him, and he will be eternally grateful for it. Life is precious to him.” There was a look on her face, but Rose had trouble reconciling it. Devotion and admiration, with a hint of something else. Jealousy! Was she jealous of her. How could she be. She was immobile in a bed. They had given her a more fixed plaster brace, to stop her trying to sit up at every available chance. Phoebe, shook herself, and finally added, “He treats all his staff the same way. If they have a problem, he tries to help, or assist. It’s his way. I’ll give you a light dose of meds, to help you through the night. If you need anything just buzz me, I’ll be down the hall.” Giving her the injection, she then left, and Rose had started to read again. The meds, bringing on that slightly drunk feeling again. Opening up her mind to memories she didn’t altogether trust. Comment’s made, things seen and stored. An image forming, a hidden truth. A face, a dream. She put down the book, and drifted. She closed her eyes, and dreamed, returning to the gallery, the vision distorted, sounds amplified. A growl, glowing eyes, a flash of teeth, then blood. Blood everywhere, and Josef’s silhouette against a sunset. Her mind putting the pieces of the jigsaw together. Her voice asking “What are you?” and his reply, caught on the wind. Him leaning over her, kissing her, nuzzling her neck. She moaned in her sleep. Then a cry, as in her dream there was pain. She woke, a cold sweat on her brow. She tried to sit but was unable, her head whipped about.

“Whoa, calm down Rose.” Josef was at her side in an instant, his voice soothing her agitated state. “Rose, wake up, talk to me.” He had been heading past the room when he has felt her fear, and confusion. Rose’s head stopped moving, and was facing him. Fear was clear in her eyes.

“Oh god Josef,” she was breathing hard, but the plaster brace made it much harder. Josef wiped her forehead, laying a cool hand upon it. “I was dreaming, and it turned into a nightmare.” Her breathing had returned to normal, but the confusion remained.

“Do you want to tell me about it?” he kept his voice low and quiet.

Rose took several deep breaths, and cursed the brace. “It’s alright, it was just a dream. But thank you for the offer, Josef.” She looked at him, he was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, but even dressed in this manner, he appeared suave, and well dressed. He caught her stare.

“What are you thinking now? You are staring at me with a very strange look on your face.” he gave her a cheeky, lopsided grin. Rose gave a small chuckle.

“I just haven’t seen you out of your usual, designer suit. It looks good on you. Smart casual. I’m not stopping you going anywhere am I?” She suddenly felt guilty, he was clearly on his way out.

“I was just going to visit a friend, but I’ll stay if you want me to?” There was a kindness in his eyes. An understanding.

“No, I’m fine now. I’ll see you later, tomorrow maybe. Go and enjoy yourself, you need to relax more. It changes your whole demeanour. For the better I might add.” She gave him his own grin back. “Go will you, or do I have to get one of the girls to order you. I’m sure I could convince Phoebe.” She gave a yawn, and blushed.

“Fine, fine! I’ll go. And for your information, neither of the girls would dare to tell me to leave.” It was a challenge, one Rose was going to take up.

“Sure, just get gone.” Then she dismissed him with a wave of her hand. Josef face lit up as he laughed, and left the room.

Rose yawned again, she was still tired. So she closed her eyes and went back to sleep. She slept the remainder of the night, with out dreaming, or needing additional pain relief. Over the following week, Josef came and saw her most evening. They sat talking about art, and literature. Some times they would watch a movie, then debate the pros and cons of it. The doctor came every other day, and checked her over. Finally deciding that the plaster brace could be removed. Rose wanted to stretch, but was warned against it for at least another week. Her stitches were removed, and Rose was told she could have a shower. Rose gave a whoop of thanks, and asked to have one as soon as possible. Josef laughed at this telling her she was still beautiful. She was allowed to sit up. But if she was moving about, she had to were a support. Ideally she should move as little as possible. A wheel chair was provided so she could go between rooms. Rose found out that Josef’s home was huge. She had barley seen any of it on her first visit.

Mid way through the second week, Josef came to see Rose. “Hey Rose, I have to go to the office, and due to commitments there, I won’t be back till tomorrow night. I really could do without it. I like talking to you. We seem to be able to have adult conversations, in depth and on numerous subjects. Even if we don’t agree all the time.” He was dressed once again, in a well tailored suit. The dark charcoal colour accenting his pale skin, it was matched with a burgundy shirt, and matching tie. He looked the consummate businessman he was.

“Josef, you really don’t have to baby sit me. I’m a big girl now.” She gave him a look that showed how she felt. Rose didn’t know what it was he did to her, but in his presence she seemed to wear her heart on her sleeve. She was sitting up in the bed, wearing a t-shirt, and sweat pants. She had no bra on and her nipples pressed through the material. Josef was aware of her reaction to him, but chose not to do anything. He knew a lot about her, he had Ryder re-check for information on her, and was surprised by what came back from the security checks. She was strong, fast and wanted. Not by the police, but by clients. She was known as a no nonsense person who got the job done. What he had been unable to find out, was why she left. It was one question he had never asked her, nor would he. She would tell him when she was ready.

“I know you’re a big girl, but your on R & R, so I get to look after you. Anyway when you are fit for work, you’ve got your work cut out for you. Remember, I’m the paranoid one.” He gave her a snaky grin. “Now I’ve got to go, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Turning away from her, Rose took the opportunity to swat his ass. “ Hey what was that for?” His face was shocked, as he peered over his shoulder at her.

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I’ve saved it, now I’ve paddled it.” She burst out laughing. So hard that she had tears streaming down her cheeks. “Josef, “She hitched as she tried to gain some measure of control. “Just go, or you’re going to be late. Even if you do own the company.” This time Josef stepped away and made it out of the room, and Rose heard a car pull out of the driveway. A silence seemed to fall over the house. It was strange because the house was normally filled with sound. That inner sense she had cranked up a notch. She used the buzzer to call one of the girls. It was Phoebe, who came to the room.

“Good evening Rose, have you been talking to Josef again?” She had made friends with both of the girls who cared for her, and even a couple of the others that regularly came to the house.

“Yeah he just left. Pheb the house seem quiet tonight. Where is everyone?” She did her best to keep her tone light, and upbeat.

“Oh it’s just you and me here. The others all went to a movie. Twilight, with Robert Patterson. Flo was just drooling over him. She would faint if she ever met him. Do you know what it’s about. Vampires. Like Stephanie Meyers knows about them.” This time she caught her slip, and added. “Like they exist. I mean vampires, if they exist do fairies, or werewolves?”

“Yeah right, vampires don’t exist.” Something in the back of her mind didn’t baulk at the fact. “I actually called you in to get a top up. I did a bit too much earlier, and now I’m paying for it.” Phoebe, look relieved at the change of topic. Crossing to the cabinet, where the meds where kept, she drew a syringe and placed it in a tray. Before she was able to inject the dosage, the doorbell rang.

“I’ll be back in a couple of minutes, let me just get the door.” then she flit through the door, and away. A minute or so later she heard a scream. And raised voices. She stood wincing at the pain in her back. She looked around the room, The bed was made, and the room was tidy, little to say she was there. She went into work mode, scanning for any possible weapon, she grabbed the needle. Then as stealthily as possible, she made her way down the hall. Muffled screams came from Josef’s study, and a male voice asked over and over, the same question. Phoebe, refused to talk, and the sound of her being struck repeatedly shook Rose. She knew she was in no state to take anyone on. Instead she took the next course of action. Retreat. She spotted the keys to Josef’s car on the side, and picked them up as she headed to the front door. She saw Phoebe’s bag, and rifled through it, finding her phone. As she ran she scrolled through the numbers. Finding the one she needed, she rang it. It went to voice mail. The front door was open and Rose ran barefoot, to the garage, and the waiting car.

Rose sat in the Ferrari, slamming the keys in the ignition, she was aware that from the moment she started the engine, she would have a minute tops to get out of there. She was breathing hard, to fight the pain. So she injected herself with some of the syringe’s contents. Her hand shaking, pushing the plunger further than was necessary. Finally she gunned the engine, and sped out of the garage where the car was parked. In her rear view mirror, she saw three men run out of the front door, and gunfire echo around her. As she drove she tried Josef’s number again, he picked up on the third ring. “Phoebe. Is there a problem?”

“Josef, it’s Rose. Someone came to the house. I think they’re after you. You need to get out of your building. Get down to the alley behind it. Help is on the way.” Her voice was ragged, edged with a hardness, borne of her training. Josef listened he could her an engine in the background, and figured she was a passenger in a car.

“I’ll be there, how long?” He had already started towards the elevator, but changed his mind, and headed to the stairwell.

“Five minutes, just be there.” Then the line went dead, as signal was lost. Rose, was feeling calm, in control. Not realising it was the medication, taking effect. As predicted she swung the car, into the alley. Headlights illuminating, a crouching form. Breaking hard, she yelled. “Get in. Get in now, Josef.” He leapt into the passenger seat, not bothering with his seat belt. The car fishtailed as they pulled back into the main flow of traffic. Rose spotted the car now following them. “We can’t go back to the house, and we’ve got a tail. Any ideas?” She gave a sideways glance, not taking her eyes off the road ahead.

“Take the 101 out of town, I have other properties out of town.” He was staring at her. “What the hell do you think you are doing. You’re in not state to be running around.” He was going to suggest she pull over and let him drive, but the ricochet of a gunshot, next to his head, stopped him speaking.

“Sorry for trying to do what I’m good at.” By now the road had become quiet, only the occasional vehicle passed them in the opposite direction. It also became more winding. Rose was holding the accelerator down hard, taking corners a t breakneck speed.

“Rose you need to slow it down. You are going to crash, or worse, get us killed.” Just as he finished the car, hit the bend too fast and spun out. The car flipped, throwing Josef clear. As he landed he heard several bones snap, and he roared out in pain. He came to a halt in a patch of heavy bushes. Hidden from the road. The last thing he saw was the car, and Rose careening over the cliff edge. He lay still as the pursuing car pulled to a halt, and two occupants walked to the edge. Grey was crowding his vision, and overtaking him, he heard nothing as he blacked out.

The two men stood, contemplating the wreck below them. “No-one not even Kostan could survive that inferno. Let’s make our report, and get some beers.” The second man agreed, and the climbed back into the car and pulled away. Unaware of the battered form of Josef in the bushes. Some time later, Josef came to, and pulled himself to the edge. Looking down he saw the burning wreck, and he screamed into the night.

“Rose. No Rose.” he held his head in his hands and cried, until a passing police cruiser, stopped, and took charge of the scene.

WendyLight
Mortal

Post by WendyLight »

It's great. So intriguing. Please, continue.
JosefsRose
Freelance freshie

Post by JosefsRose »

Here is the final part of this story. But it is only one ending. I will post the alternate one later.
Feedback, JM craves feedback. :vampire: :dracula:

Part 8

Josef, stood at the cliffs edge, as he had for the last two years on this date. The wreck of the car, was still visible at low tide. He had had his own team try to find anything, but the fire had been so intense that they found nothing. He laid the flowers and climbed back into the limo. His arm snaked about the figure next to him, pulling her closer. He buried his face onto her neck, and then fed. Drawing the blood into him forcefully. She moaned, even feeding like this Josef had the control to make it pleasurable. He tasted her emotions, the kindness in her heart, and her pity for him, a sadness that even he felt. “Thank you Chantal, you and Phoebe have been rocks for me.” The limo, pulled back into the flow of traffic, and back towards Josef’s house.

Across town, Bella, sat in her office, she had just taken two calls, from staff who phoned in sick. She shook her head, checking the diary for the day. Today was the worst day they could have been off. There were client meetings all day, and also routine event security. The biggest meeting was a potential new client. They had been recommended by associates of theirs, and a meeting had been called. Sighing she stood, reaching for her cane. Walking stiffly to her room, she went through her wardrobe. She pulled a ruby red shirt out, and her black suit jacket. She changed, and checked herself in the mirror. Black hair scraped back in a short ponytail, little make up. She looked at herself with sad eyes, wondering who she was once again. Leaning heavily on the cane, she walked back into the office. Sat back at the desk, and completed some of the paperwork stacked upon it. The first of the staff arrived. “Hey boss, whatcha dressed up for?” Shelly was a brash twenty something, but she was good at her job. She was a recovery expert.

“Gina, and Santos called in sick, so I’ll be going to a client meeting this afternoon. It’s a big job, and as the Boss, I guess I should take it.” She checked down at the diary again. “You still following up the paintings?”

“Yep. Got a great lead. If it pans out, I should have them recovered by the end of the week.” she was grinning ear to ear. “So what else is on?”

“Jeff’s still out at the depot, running security. Mia, is visiting clients, and chasing up leads. So once I go out, the office will have to close, there’s no-one left to man the phones.” She was interrupted by the phone ringing. She picked it up. “Good morning Nightshade security, how may I help.” She listened to the caller, jotting down some notes, and an address. “Thank you for calling, and letting us know about the changes. We shall see him later. Good bye.” she hung up the phone. “Well that meeting I’m going to just changed locations. I’ve got the new address, and I’ll have to head out there a little earlier. Who ever this guy is, he has a house in the hills.” She grabbed her bag, and collected up the relevant paperwork. Including testimonials, of other clients, and figures, of estimated costs. They were a small but effective team. The company had been running just on a year, but they had a firm clientele, who regularly came back. Bella double checked her bag, then rose again. She didn’t need this. She may own the company, but she rarely left the office. She wasn’t fast enough for field work, yet she knew what to do, and how to show others how to do it. She often sat in on interviews, her talent for telling if someone was lying, came in useful. “O.K. I’m out of here, make sure you lock up as you leave. I’ll see you tomorrow?” She limped to the door, and the waiting car.

“Nope, day after. I’ve got leads to follow out of town. If they pan out, we can return the pictures to the gallery, and we get the big payout.” She laughed, braying like a donkey. “Go get ‘em boss.” She watched as Bella, seated herself in the car. The top down, on the classic Ferrari. The only thing she didn’t do was put on the seat belt. Waving as the car pulled off. The car drove like a dream, the engine purring as she cruised down the road, and out of the traffic of LA. She loved the feel of the wind, rushing past her face, and once she was out of the city, she gunned the engine, pushing up the speed. She didn’t notice, what was either side of the road as she drove. Until she hit a double bend, when she slammed on the brakes, locking up the rear end of her car. She pulled over to the side of the road. Trying to figure, what just happened. She was shaking, and a flash of another car, and a passenger hit her. It passed, and she put it down to déjà vu. She looked around, on the opposite side of the road, was a repaired section of barrier, and fresh flowers. The moment passed, and she pulled back onto the road. For some reason, that flash of whatever put her on edge, the unbidden thought of “Who am I?” came back to her. Forty minutes later, she pulled into a driveway, it wound it’s way through the trees. Effectively hiding the house, from prying eyes. She spotted the cameras, and even the laser sensors at the side of the drive. This guy already had top of the range security, why would he need an outside company, unless he didn’t trust his own. The house finally came into view, it was beautiful. A modern build, with large windows, that reflected the late afternoon sun. Bella, took it all in, all the details. Then she eased herself from the car, stretching slightly. Aware of the constant ache in her leg. The one injury, that the doctors had not been able to fix. Straightening out her jacket and trousers, she stepped towards the door. She rang the door bell, and waited. She checked her watch, making sure she wasn’t too early, or late. A couple of minutes passed, and she rang the bell again. This time, she was about to walk away when the door was answered.

“Yes.” The man standing in front of her was aggressive. Confrontational.

“I have an appointment, I’m from Nightshade Security.” She pulled out her I.D card, showing it to him. He glanced down, that was all it took. She shifted her weight forward, and pretended to stumble towards the door. The man looked shocked, but allowed her inside. Closing the door behind her, Bella gave a small smile.

Huffing, he paused as he thought something through, “Follow me. You can wait in here.” He walked to another door. Opening he stepped back, then as he was about to shove her through, she side stepped. Bella used the butt of her cane, to ram into his gut. Then she brought her elbow to his temple, the crack seemed deafening in the silence of the house. He fell to the floor, unconscious. Bella checked for a pulse, before searching him. To her surprise, she found a pair of hand cuffs. She secured his hands behind him, and gagged his mouth with his tie. Now completely on edge, she moved as quietly as she could. Something caught her eye, a painting on the wall. She stopped and studied it, and was hit with another flash of memory. Standing in a modern looking office, studying the same picture, and a voice. A noise broke the thought. She pulled herself into a doorway. Two more men passed her.

“He’s secure, and going nowhere. But we need to deal with his whores. They can identify us.”

“Then we get rid of them. You go and find Johnson, I’ll deal with the whores.” They split up, and Bella decided that whoever these women were, they didn’t deserve what was coming. She followed behind him. Using the wall as balance, instead of her cane. She had twisted the head, and it clicked. The man headed up the stairs, and she kept pace with him. As she reached the top, she could hear crying, and muffled sobs. “You bitches better shut up. He had pulled a revolver, from his waist band. Aiming it at the first woman. As he pulled the trigger, Bella struck him from behind. The blade piercing all the way through his neck. He gawked once, and as she withdrew the blade he fell back. His eyes staring blankly at the ceiling. Stepping into the doorway, she saw three woman, all cowering in the corner. Hands bound behind them.

“Is everyone unhurt?” She looked more closely at each one, two looked familiar.

“Yes we are. Was he about to kill us?” a blonde with striking blue eyes asked. Bella focused on her.

“Yes, there’s still one more intruder in the house.” she cut the ropes, binding them. “I suggest you all stay in here. I’ll come back when it’s safe.” She replaced the blade back into the cane, and left, closing the door behind her. She bent down retrieving the gun from the dead mans hand. Then made her way back down, to find the final man. She found him in the same room she had left the first man. “Looking for me?” He spun to face her, about to attack. He stopped dead, she had the gun pointed at his chest. “I don’t know who you are, but I’m fairly sure your not supposed to be here.” he shifted, adjusting his stance. “I wouldn’t,” But he did, anger clouding his judgement.

“Whore.” he shouted it as he leapt forward. A single report came from the gun, and his momentum, carried him on. He crashed into her, knocking her to the floor. She hit her head hard. Knocking her out for a few minutes. Coming to, she pushed at the dead weight pinning her. To her surprise, the bullet had travelled all the way through because of the close range, and struck the man she had caught first. All three intruders were dead by her hand. She struggled to her feet, now she had to find, who they had been talking about. Systematically she checked each room of the house. The last but one room was an office, at first she thought it was empty, but she caught a glimpse of a pair of expensive loafers. She rounded the desk, and came face to face with a handsome man, she was taken by his youthful features. She thought he was dead, a wooden stake protruded from his chest. She gagged, and fought back the bile rising up her throat. Then his eyes opened, his gaze locked with hers, and she staggered back. The backs of her knees hit the chair and she fell into it. She was unable to remove her eyes from his face. Flash after flash of memory hit her, she felt she knew him. He was trying to speak, but all that came out from the distance was a hiss. Against her instincts, she dropped to the floor, her leg out to the side, as she put her ear to his mouth. This time she made out what he was saying.

“Remove it.” She glanced at the stake. “Please, take it out.” Bella closed her eyes, took a deep breath, then wrapped both hands around it and pulled. She shuddered at the sucking noise it made as it pulled free. He man roared as it came out. Turning to her he said “Thank you.” he was staring at her. “Who are you?”

“A better question, would be what are you? But I’m sure I know the answer to that. So I’ll answer yours. Miss Donatella. Nightshade Security. I’m afraid your going to have to finish the introductions. You are?” Some how she knew his answer. He had stood up, and offered her his hand to help her. She took it, feeling the coolness of his flesh. She shivered at another memory.

“Josef Kostan. Again I have to thank you. My ladies, where are they?” His concern for them was genuine.

“There safe, upstairs. Just find the body, and you’ll find the girls.” he was already heading to the stairs, he could smell the blood, and he was hungry. In his rush, he nearly fell over the body.

“Chantal, Phoebe, Flo, are you all alright?” he checked each one over. Finding them all unhurt.

Chantal spoke up again, “That young lady behind you, saved us. He” she pointed at the body on the floor. “was going to shoot us. She killed him.” She stepped forward and gave Bella a hug. “Thank you.” Then her brow creased, as she like Josef, looked at her eyes. “Do I know you? You seem familiar.” Phoebe stepped forward, staring.

“Your right, there’s something familiar.” She turned to Josef, “Josef?” his name was a question. Bella heard him inhale, and it stutter. His eyes widened. There was something about her scent, he knew it, but couldn’t place it.

“Your right, but I can’t place it. Miss Donatella, have we met before?” They were all looking at her.

“I really don’t think this is the place for this conversation. I think you need a clean up. I’ll make the call.” Josef moved to stop her. “I’m not calling the police, just my associates. You know the ladies in black.” She gave him a snarky grin. Something registered, but he said nothing.

“Your right, this is not the place. There were three, where are the other two?” He became all business.

“Pretty much in the same state. Both are in the parlour downstairs. Dead. As I said you need a clean up.” She turned and left the room, leaning more heavily on her cane. The pain in her leg, now becoming the focus of her being. “You need to feed, and I have to sort the call out. I’ll meet you back in your office.” Then she headed back slowly down the stairs, having to take them one at a time. She stopped at the bottom, she found her bag where she had dropped it. Rifling through it she found what she was looking for. The epi-pen was ready, and she slammed it through the material of her trousers. She waited a minute before she continued to the office. Pulling out her phone she made the call. Giving the details, and the address. Much to the shock of the caller on the other end, but she was assured they would be there in thirty minutes, or less. Now she relaxed a little, the adrenalin all but gone from her system. The events were eerily similar to something else, but again it escaped her. She was left wondering about the flashes. Were they from her past. Did they answer that one big question. “Who am I?” she said it aloud. No reply was forth coming. She walked around the room. She stopped in front of a painting. She had an interest in fine arts, it was why she had taken on the recovery, of the stolen paintings from the gallery.

“It’s an original” his deep tones came from behind her. She jumped, and spun. Right into his arms. Oh that, ‘been here, done that’ vibe hit her again.

“I know. I can tell by the patina on the paintwork. It needs cleaning, the colours would be much brighter. Monet loved brighter colours to accent his work.” He was too close, but she didn’t pull away. Being in his arms seemed right, natural. “You look better. Did you want to reschedule the meeting?” He stepped back, he felt it to, déjà vu.

“Fine, I need to sort out a few things. How about Friday, at my office down town?” He quickly recovered.

“That will be fine, I’ll see you then.” She walked past him, and his cologne and masculine scent pulled at her. She knew it, she knew him. The memory just wouldn’t come. She gritted her teeth in frustration. He followed her to the door, noticing the car, and the van parked behind it.

“Thank you again Miss Donatella. You seem efficient, and very effective. My girls, and I owe you a debt of gratitude.” He opened the car door and allowed her to get in. “Nice car, I used to own one just like it.”

“It’s my only luxury. There’s just something about it. What happened to yours?” She was watching him, his shoulders dropped and a sadness lurked in his hazel eyes. He turned away from her.

“Maybe another time, just not today.” He walked over to the cleaners, “I’ll see you on Friday, Miss Donatella.” his attention was away from her, so she drove out of his courtyard, and back towards her home/office.

Josef just didn’t want to deal with any of this now. Instead he spoke to the cleaner, gathering information about the woman who had just left. “So how did you end up being associates of hers?”

The cleaner smiled at him, “Josef, you know the rules, client confidentiality. But I can tell you, she is quite capable at her job. If that girl ever gets turned, she would make an awesome cleaner.” That was high praise. He returned inside to find Chantal, and his other two ladies. He was sure he need to comfort them. They had been manhandled, and just about to be killed, when fate stepped in. Once more in the form of a fearless female. The girls were in his study, chatting amongst themselves, all seemed fine.

“Ladies, I an sorry for the way you have been treated today. Let me make it up to you, and take you all clubbing this evening.” He gave them his best grin, he was known to be generous with his girls. This time Phoebe spoke up.

“Josef you don’t have to. A quiet night at home with you, would be perfect. Maybe we could watch a movie, or just talk.” She dropped her eyes, wondering if she should say what they had been discussing.

“What is it Phoebe?” Josef knew her all too well, and could read her like a book.

“Chantal, and I were wondering about the woman that was here. She seemed so familiar, but we didn’t recognise her. She had the same thing, she said as much. I know what today is, and the memories are still quite fresh. And this sounds strange, but I know who she reminds us of. Rose. It’s the face that’s wrong.” It was something in her eyes, that let Josef, keep quiet. “The body posture, and I saw a tattoo. Rose had several unique ones.” Josef nodded, at the memory of seeing those tats. “She had a large tribal design on her lower back. I caught a glimpse of something on the back of our heroine. Could it be possible she survived Josef?”

He contemplated the idea, Her scent was similar, but how did he explain the different face. Miss Donatella, appeared at least 5 years younger, than Rose had appeared. It was a while before he spoke. “I can’t see how. The blaze was intense, you couldn’t even discern the shape of the car. Though I am going to have Ryder look deeper into her. She is a friend of the family so to speak.” He changed the subject, “So what film would you like to watch? Ladies choice.” They chattered for a few minutes, finally coning to a decision.

“Tomb Raider. We’re in the mood for a strong leading lady.” Josef just rolled his eyes, and went to pour himself a scotch, with an AB neg. teaser. He excused himself for a minute as he placed the call to Ryder. Explaining what he wanted, and that he should e-mail him the results. Then he strolled back into the lounge, where the girls had gathered, sitting in his chair, feet up, and glass in hand, he began his self imposed torture, of watching Lara Croft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 8 pt2

Bella sat in her office, checking the messages on her desk, and on the machine. There was nothing new, just general reports from those of her teams that were on site. She closed down her computer, and headed out the back, to where her rooms were. She showered, and as the water ran over her, she thought back over the encounter. She was at a loss for her training, but then she had no memories from before her accident. If it was an accident, she had never been able to find out. She rinsed out her hair, and washed herself. She closed her eyes, and relaxed. Trying to remember, the flashes of memory she had had. Josef’s face kept coming to the forefront, along with her car. Then there were the two girls, Chantal, and Phoebe. She felt she knew them, and they her. Yet she couldn’t remember meeting them. She felt if she could put the pieces together, she might be closer to her past. She shut off the water, and grabbed a towel wrapping it about her scarred body. Then with another she towelled her hair, then raked a brush through it. She stepped into her bed room. It was sparse, a bed and wardrobe the main furniture. Drying off, she traced some of the scars, Her torso was riddled with them. Some from the surgery she had endured, others came from before, obvious stab and gunshot wounds. With no recollection of how she got them. Swiftly she dressed, she decided to go out. Dressing in black, from head to toe, hair half pulled back, she walked out to her other car. She went from one extreme to another. Ferrari, to a Chevy. Her cane on the seat next to her, she pulled the non descript car into the main street. She drove safely, keeping to the limits and not drawing attention to herself. She spotted a black truck parked in the alley, and pulled over. A figure clad in black leather walked over, and got in. “You made quite an impression with Josef Kostan earlier. He wanted to know all about you.” The cleaner, who was normally stern looking, gave her a smile.

“Well you know as much as I do. Did you tell him anything?” she was curious, about him as well.

“Oh no. Quoted the rules strait back at him. Client confidentiality. Though he does have his own sources. He’ll do a back ground search, guaranteed. So where are you off to?” She noted the black clothing. “Looking for a job with us?” She joked.

“I’m going over to that new club, Red Zone. I need a distraction tonight. Do you know anything about it?” The real question unspoken.

“Just be careful, stay in the main bar. It’s a mixed club. There are two VIP areas. The owners reputable, this is his third club in LA, and he has more in major cities all over the continental US. You know the drill better than any, call if there’s a problem.” She had opened the door, “Good call earlier, and well taken care of. Be careful and have fun.” Then she was out and the door closed, she began barking orders at the others. Bella, put the car in gear, and continued on to the club. She pulled in to the parking lot, and glanced about. The parked cars were a mixed selection, High priced, next to low maintenance. She pulled her coat about herself, it fell to just above the ground. With her black hair falling down around her shoulders, in the harsh fluorescent lights made her skin appear pale. She had all the hallmarks of being a vamp. The cane just gave an extra air of mystique. She limped to the entrance, and with a quick nod she was admitted, much to the distaste of those waiting outside. Once inside, she was soon approached by the owner, who greeted her like an old friend.

“Bella, my sweet. How wonderful of you to come see my new establishment. May I get you a drink, then show you around? I think you will agree on my measures.” He appeared to be around forty years old, but he was far older. His voice held a strong British accent. He gestured to the bar, and together they crossed the room.

“Bertram, you were always the gentleman. I’m assuming it’s a mixed club, so how do you tell your patrons apart?” She questioned him, as they waited at the bar. “Are you after your usual?”

“As always. You know me too well my dear.” As he spoke Bella had stepped behind the bar, and found what she was looking for. Grabbing two glasses, she poured the drinks. “We have a simple policy, we ask everyone for ID. Those who know show their wrists, along with their driving licence. Also there is always one of the family on the door.” He took the offered drink, “Now come, let me show you around. We have three areas. Two VIP, and one public. Each of the private areas are guarded, and the family area, has double the normal security. We don’t want any of the uninitiated wandering in. Friends can obviously bring in guests.” They arrived at a set of steps illuminated in red, two men stood guard at the base of them. Bella looked past them, eyes moving quickly. She saw two cameras. Then spotted the third.

“Two standard cameras, and a thermal imaging system. The ability to check who’s who. I’m impressed.” She stepped up to the steps, and spoke to the guards. “Smile guys, give me your best grin.” They complied, both showing their fangs. Bella just nodded her approval. They went up the stairs and into the lounge, even at this time of the evening, there were one or two patrons. “Fully stocked bar, and resting area. Do you have alternates for regulars?”

“Of course, we use three different agencies, for fresh supplies, so we never over use any particular one.” She scanned the room, again noting the placement of the cameras, and also of the exits.

She headed back to the stairs, “The other area the same, but single type, right.” She was already walking down. The noise of the club had increased, as the music started to pump, and bodies started to heave on the dance floor.

“Exactly the same, but as you put it for one type only. Would you care to see?” He once more at her side, guiding her through the crowded room.

“No, I see the stamps on their hands red and blue. Interesting way to designate the difference, has anyone tried to cross over yet?” He just shook his head as he finished his drink. Bertram‘s head turned, as if his name had been called.

“Excuse me my sweet, but I am needed else where. Please the drinks are on the house. Enjoy yourself, and maybe I’ll catch up with you before you leave.” He took her hand bowed and left. Bella stood at the edge of the bar, watching the patrons come and go. Eventually, she found a booth, and sat down, she was close to the entrance of the human only VIP area. One or two had gone up, and she smiled at the thought, that if any of them knew what was in the other area, most of them would run screaming from the building. She just sat studying people, getting a measure of them. The mood of the club was relaxed, but she never let down her guard. Her eyes constantly flickered about the room, from the floor to the bar, to the door. On one such pass, her gaze stopped, as she watched a figure enter, then scan the room himself. If her spotted her, he gave no indication, but instead headed to the red stairs, and then disappeared. Bella was on the lookout for predators, of both kinds. The music now playing had a thumping beat, and her head started to pulse with the same rhythm. She cursed herself, because she had forgotten to bring her painkillers. She sat back in the booth and closed her eyes, willing the pain to dissipate. So she drifted, allowing the images to come to mind. Images of Josef, sitting watching her, laughing with her, talking, discussing art, and literature. Then him with concern in his eyes. Then the visions slowed. It became her driving her car, with him beside her, a screaming and wrenching of metal. Then blackness. She sat bolt up right, eyes wide and open. Blinking she saw a man at the foot of her table. She took in a sharp breath.

“Are you alright darlin’?” There was no hint of genuine concern in his voice. “May I get you something?” Her pain still pulsed in time to the beat.

“No thank you, I’m fine. “ she managed to keep her voice from stammering. She stood to leave. “I must be going.” She gave him a small smile, and tried to get past him. He sidestepped to block her way.

“I must insist you have a drink with me.” He grabbed her arm. His eyes flashing in the ever changing lights of the bar. Bella became completely calm.

“I suggest you take your hand off me.” Her voice was hard, but he had positioned his body to hide her from view. “Now.!” Her gaze locked on to him. He tightened his grip on her arm. She flinched, it had the effect of taking her mind of her headache. He started to press his advantage over her. Bella was forced back into the booth. She watched as his fangs descended and his irises turned crystalline. “I. told. You. To. Let go.” She raised her voice. Even over the din of the music a vamp should hear her. She had also come prepared, she managed to reach into her bag, as she sat down hard. In the gloom he would be able to see clearly, he may have had an advantage, but she had the element of surprise. Keeping her voice neutral, “I told you to let go.” Now she raised it. “I am neither willing, nor a freshie.” He was taken aback, and she now pressed her advantage home. She thrust the wooden stake into his chest. Impossibly he shifted at the last moment, and the stake buried deep, but missed his heart. Now he was severely pissed off, and as he pulled the stake out, he growled and moved forward, pinning her. He stopped millimetres from her neck, and she could feel his fetid breath on her. Then the pressure was gone a he was being pulled backwards off of her.

“I believe the lady said no.” Josef handed the vamp to two of the clubs security, where he was escorted away. “Well Miss Donatella. I’m surprised to find you here. May I join you?” He made no move to sit.

Bella’s breathing had returned to normal. “I was just about to leave, but let me get you a drink, as a thank you.” She motioned to the bar, and a girl started to wind her way slowly to them. “What would you like? It’s on the house.” He was still standing, but he was staring at her, just as she was staring at him. ‘Oh what the hell.’ she thought to herself. “Please sit down Mr Kostan.” He slid into the seat opposite her.

“Call me Josef please. He didn’t bite you did he?” He was searching her neck for any signs of a bite.

“No. He stopped short of biting me, then you grabbed him.” The waitress had made it to the table. “Did you want a drink? I’ll have a soda please. Josef, anything?” He was staring at her again.

“Sorry, yes. A scotch, no rocks. And not that crap you sell. The decent stuff.” He dropped his shoulders and gave her a boyish grin. “What Bertram always has his private stock behind the bar.” He reached down and retrieved the discarded stake. He offered it to her pointed end towards himself. “This yours?” It was a gesture of trust from him. She took it and shoved it back into her bag.

“Thanks, I guess were even.” She wanted to ask him about the flashes of memory, but something stopped her. She needed more, not just a feeling.

“No. I still owe you at least three times over.” He shifted in the seat. “Now on to more, uncomplicated things. I didn’t recognise you. You look a whole lot different to this afternoon. You give off an air of confidence, even here. Is this what you do to relax? Come to a night club and get an indecent proposition.” he was laughing at her, she decided his snarky comment deserved an equal retort.

“Sure it is. Like yours is getting staked, so you can get a little rest.” She was falling into his eyes. She felt safe, here and now bantering with him. It felt normal, right. She relaxed, the tension of earlier gone. A pause in the conversation let the waitress place their drinks, then retired back into the throng. Suddenly Josef became quiet, sad and melancholy. The same look she had seen on his face at the house. “What is it Josef? You had that same look when I left your house.”

He gave her a smile, but it didn’t reach his eyes, they stayed distant. “It’s nothing.” He made his tone light, but the façade cracked a little more.

“Josef it’s clear to me something is bothering you. I heard once ‘a problem shared, is a problem halved.’ You have my word that I would talk, I’ll just listen if you want to talk.” She continued to regard him. Her mind wandering slightly. His shoulders stiffened, his mouth tautened into a thin line. He inhaled, gaining a brief glimpse of what had occurred.

“You know, you never told me your first name. Am I to call you Miss Donatella all the time.” he was struggling with his emotions. His obvious pain clear on his face, and in his body posture.

“I didn’t, did I. It’s Bella. Bella Donatella, owner and manager of Nightshade Security.” He cracked a smile, as he found the play on words amusing, but also a little ironic.

“Bella Dona Tella. I pity you. Your mother had a sick sense of humour.” He noted now she was the one ill at ease. “My turn, what is it?” her eyes became haunted.

“I have to go. I have a head ache, and really shouldn’t have come out tonight.” She was avoiding his question, as he had avoided hers. She stood, rubbing her temples. Taking her bag and cane, she hesitated. Then continued her slow walk to the door. Josef followed her, taking her arm, to help her balance as she was jostled on the dance floor. With Josef holding her by the arm, they made their way to the car park. “Thank you, I can manage from here.” She squinted to block the pain.

“You’re in no state to drive. Let me drive you home. I promise to be good, you can collect your car tomorrow. Better yet, give me the keys, I’ll get someone to drop it off.” He was worried about her, and she saw it on his face. That brought forward a strong reaction, The flash so vivid, her knees buckled, and she lost consciousness, and Josef swept her into his arms. His own sense of Déjà vu kicking in. She was muttering, about Michelangelo, and the Sistine Chapel. He sat her in the passenger seat of his car, with the door open. He waited patiently as she came round. “Welcome back. Do you want to tell me what happened?”

Bella took several breaths before answering him. “I …. I don’t know how to explain this.” She chewed her lip, drawing blood. Then stopped, eyes locking on to his. “I haven’t any long term memories. Mine all start about eighteen months ago, when I woke up in hospital. I had been in a coma for 6 months, they operated on me multiple times, including rebuilding my face. I had no name, nothing a blank spot where things should be. I came up with the name, after watching a gardening program in the hospital. Since I woke up, I’ve had flashes of images, of words, conversations. But today, I have had more than I ever did. Including having to stop on the road on the way over to you house. I have a feeling you, and I know, knew each other, but just now, the concern on your face it proved it. An image of the Fresco, from the Sistine Chapel, and you leaning over talking to me. Can you answer the one question I can’t Josef. Who am I?” There was a pleading look in he eyes, a sorrow, he could feel.

“I know what you mean about knowing each other, even my girls said the same thing.” he looked about then back to her. “Come back to my house now, and we can discuss this. I might be able to give you some answers.” Bella looked uneasy for a moment, but she felt this was the time.

“Sure, shall I follow you.” She creased her brow, the pain was still pulsing.

“I’ll drive you, You’re still in pain. I’ll get someone to collect your car later.” She put her feet into the car, and he closed the door, jumping over her, and into the drivers seat. “Oh sometimes I love being a vamp.” He grinned and gunned the engine, tyres squealing, as he tore down the road. She closed her eyes, relaxing back in the seat. A silence fell between them, and Josef decided to start a conversation, “So tell me, how did you meet the cleaners?”

Bella opened her eyes and look at him. “I stumbled on them.” he was bemused. “They were on a clean up, when I ended up in the midst of them. I was removing an undesirable gentleman from a club. Turns out he was a very high and drunk vamp. The ladies offered their assistance, to take care of him. He had vamped out, and was trying to bite me. He stopped short too, just like the guy tonight. I guess I smell bad. So as you can see I had an abrupt initiation into the world of vampires. They gave me their card, and said to call them if I every need help again. I met them again a few weeks later. After Bertram, had to stake another unruly patron. I chatted for a while with them, and they helped me set up the company. I have two vamps on staff. Why do you ask?” He never took his eyes off the road. He was about to reply when she shouted. “Stop! Stop the car.” Josef slammed on the brakes, bring the car to a halt. They were at the bend where she had stopped earlier.

“What is it Bella?” She was looking at her. He could see the terror in her eyes. She was getting out of the car, and crossing to the barrier on the opposing side of the road. She saw the flowers laid there. He followed behind her, letting her find, what it was she was searching for. “Tell me what your feeling.”

“I don’t know. I’ve had flashes about being in a car, your there next to me. Then something happens, and then there’s darkness. I hear screaming, and a name called over and over, but I can’t hear it clearly. The noise of crashing water overwhelms it.” She turned to face him, the moon rising from the sea behind her. A dawning of another kind in her eyes. “You were here weren’t you? Did you have a crash, or someone else crash?” She was close to the answers, but they were still hidden by the mists in her mind.

“Let’s get back in the car, and get in the warm.” He placed his hand on her arm and guided her back across to the car. “We have a lot to discuss, and I think we both will need a drink.” he got her seated, and once more pulled away. His mind was running over what she had spoken. Fifteen minutes later, they pulled up outside of his house. Bella didn’t move, she was thinking hard on what she knew. “Bella, let’s go inside.” There was a blank stare in her eyes, so Josef tried something different. “Rose?” There was a flicker of reaction. He turned her head to face him. “Rose. Look at me.” he made his voice stern, and harsh. Then the barriers came crashing down, everything that had happened, and had been lost, was found. She screamed, hands clawing at her skin. Josef had to hold her, to stop her from hurting herself.

“Oh God it hurts, stop the pain please.” Tears ran down her face. Josef held her close, stroking her hair, whispering softly to her. He heard his front door open, and his girls standing watching. Oh God Josef, help me.” she was reliving the accident. “Help me please, stop the pain, I don’t want to hurt any more.” Then she fell silent, but she was shivering violently. Josef, place an arm beneath her legs, and the other around her back, lifting her with ease, he moved her into the house.

“Take her to my room Josef.” Chantal followed him down the hallway and up the stairs to her room. “What happened?” She was already checking her over. She unbuttoned the black shirt, and carefully removed it. There was an audible gasp, as those in the room saw the myriad of scars marring her body. “Everyone out, You too Josef, until she’s settled.”

Josef was going to protest, but changed his mind. “She remembered what happened. Go carefully Chantal.” Then he was gone, the others lingered for a moment , but they too left.
“Well Rose, looks like we’re back to square one.” She was surprised to see her watching her. “I’m sorry.”

“For what? You’ve done nothing. I should apologise to you, I wasn’t the best patient.” She gave a small laugh and smile.

“Damn right, you were a pain.” She was laughing and a bright smile illuminated her face. “Shall I go and get Josef?” She was heading for the door.

“No I’ll go and find him, he owes me a drink. She found her shirt, but didn’t put it back on. She figured he had seen it, and well, it no longer mattered. They needed to talk. Chantal, gave her directions to the lounge, and she slowly made her way to Josef. He was looking out of the window, and twisted around to face her. “Josef, we need to talk. Please come and sit with me.” She had sat on the sofa, and indicated he should sit beside her. He strode over and sat down at an angle to face her. “Josef, …. I ..I” She was crying again, and Josef wiped her cheek with his thumb.

“What do I call you? Bella or Rose. Your different, but the same.” He held her face in one hand. The other was holding her hand.

“What do you want to call me? Does Rose even exist any more.”

“I’ll call you Rose, because that’s who you are. As to if she exists, no. Not any longer, you were declared dead, after the crash. You new incarnation, is your persona for the world at large. You’re successful. What do you want to do?”

She had stopped crying, but Josef’s hand was still on her face. She was looking at him with love in her eyes. “I’ll keep the business going, it’s not just me. I have my staff to think about. Other than that, I have one request to ask of you.”

“What is it?” he had a serious look on his face, he wondered if she was about to make him a business offer. He dropped his hand from her cheek.

“Would you bite me Josef?” She studied him as he made his decision.

“Why would you want to be bitten? Your not a freshie.” He stood, and walked away from her. He went to his bar and poured himself a drink. “Would you like something?”

She followed him with her eyes, tracking his body language. “No thank you. I want you to prove me wrong, that there isn’t something wrong with me. To explain what stops your kind biting me.” She was on the verge of tears again.

“Rose, there is nothing wrong with you. Biting you is not the answer.”

“Please. Josef. Do it for me. You’re the only I trust to do it. I need this.” She pleaded with him.

He stood behind her, glass in hand. He inhaled sharply, he could feel her need of him, and her confusion. “Fine, but I can’t see there being anything that would stop a vamp.” He moved back around to her. He seated himself, “Come and sit here.” He patted his lap, and she shifted to comply. He moved her hair from her neck, listening to the blood pulse beneath her skin. He scented the spot and stopped. The same as the others. “I know what stopped them. Do you still want me to bite you?”

“Yes, just this once.” She relaxed into his chest. She was smiling, and Josef smelt the change in her. Scenting once more, he placed a series of kisses on her neck, then gently sank his fangs into her flesh. She gave a small gasp and then moaned, as the sensations of him drawing her blood flooded her. All too soon he removed his fangs. He had taken only a few mouthfuls. She sighed contentedly, and stroked his face, tracing his lips.

“Thank you Josef. What did you mean you know why they never bit?” Josef was rubbing her back in a circular motion.

“When they get close to you they scent you. They don’t bite you, because you smell of another vamp.” she was still no clearer, though she understood some of it.

“I work around vamps, wouldn’t that explain it?” She was almost purring with content. He was rumbling himself, he felt an urge.

“It’s not from the vamps, you work with. You smell of me. My age alone puts younger vamps off. Even after all this time you still hold my scent.” His hand dropped lower, and she ground herself into him. It was clear what she wanted, and he wanted it too. He picked her up, and carried her to his room. Closing the door behind them.

mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Oh that was just so beautiful!! :rose: I loved this ending!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I loved this entire story and look forward to reading the alternate ending... :yahoo: :woohoo: :groupwave: :hyper: :hyper: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :gasp: :eyes: :fingerscrossed: :seesaw: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :thanks: :heart:

mitzie
JosefsRose
Freelance freshie

Post by JosefsRose »

mitzie wrote:Oh that was just so beautiful!! :rose: I loved this ending!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I loved this entire story and look forward to reading the alternate ending... :yahoo: :woohoo: :groupwave: :hyper: :hyper: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :gasp: :eyes: :fingerscrossed: :seesaw: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :thanks: :heart:

mitzie
Mitzie,

I love the way you get soo excited about things. Such feedback makes my heart leap and JM smirk. The alt ending is completely different. Thank you dear heart thank you.

Jenny :rose:

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Wonderful story. Poor Rose lost so much already, but now Josef will be there for her.
I will go now and read the alternative ending. :heart:

Return to “JosefsRose's Office”