Explanations - Parts 1 and 2 (PG)

Sumaire
Kostan Industries intern

Explanations - Parts 1 and 2 (PG)

Post by Sumaire »

Rated PG

He knows! Oh my God! He knows! What do I do now? What a stupid question, I know what I have to do. Explain, explain it all. But the last time I saw him . . . well let's just say the look on his face is one that I will never in my long life forget.

Telling him is something that I have been struggling to figure out how to do for months now. Well that and facing the fact that despite fighting my growing feelings, ones that I've always thought vampires never had, I've fallen in love with him. So now I have to figure out a way to explain to him about what he saw last night, what I am. I mean, how do I tell someone that I'd move heaven and earth for that I'm obviously not what I seem. That I am for the majority of the human population something that lives in the realm of myths, legends and bad horror movies?

The evening started out simply enough, drinks and a play. I steer away from dinner dates for obvious reasons. A lot easier to do when the man I'm dating usually works during dinner. Anyway, as we were strolling down the streets of Galway window shopping after the show, I kept getting this nagging feeling that we were being followed. I didn't smell vampire so I really didn't think much of it. That was until a very agitated and obviously high human jumped out in front of us. He pointed a small pistol at us and demanded, you guessed it, money. I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have, but I laughed. Jordan looked at me like I was completely nuts. I quickly changed my attitude when the moron aimed the gun strait at Jordan's heart and felt Jordan’s heart rate spike and smelt his fear.

Everything happened so fast after that. The idiot fumbled with the gun, trying to get it to cock. I just slipped into predatory mode. There was no way that I was going to let this guy get a shot off. At close range, Jordan would have been either seriously hurt or mortally wounded and I was just not ready to even think about turning him. I jumped in between the two of them, yelling at Jordan to run. I glanced back at him when I didn't hear his footsteps fading in the distance; he stood rooted to the spot, looking like a deer in headlights.

By now I was really struggling to keep the other part of myself from showing. For such a puny guy, the thief was really strong and in his current state was moving unpredictably. Why couldn't he have just released the gun?

I sure that you can guess what happened next. Yep, the gun went off, shooting me in the stomach. At that point what little control I had, I lost. I looked from my wound back to the assailant and growled a low growl, my eyes glazed over and fangs fully showing. I forgot in that instant who was standing behind me. Pain has a way of doing that.

I picked the poor, now fully terrified simpleton, who had thoroughly wet himself up by the neck and said "That was probably the most short-sighted thing you could have done, my friend. And a move that will cost you your life." I then threw him into the alley where he had come from, growled again and bit down, ending it quickly.

As I stood before my victim, panting, I heard a quiet, petrified voice say, "What the hell are you?"

Those five words brought me crashing back to reality in a heartbeat. I turned to look at him, still vamped out. His face told the whole story. Disbelief, disgust, horror were all intertwined there.

I fought desperately to put the vampire back in its place, but it wasn't ready to go yet. I looked at Jordan pleading "Jordan, please let me explain. I promise, I won't hurt you."

His response was to start backing away slowly, his hands up in defensive positions, "No, no, no; you can't be real."

I took a tentative step forward, my face now human looking again. He just shook his head, turned tail and ran.

I stood there cursing myself for letting the other part of me take control, for probably losing the one thing that matters the most to me in this world.

That was a little over twenty-four hours ago. I haven't slept since. Do I go to him? Do I wait and hope that he comes here? For the first time in a very long time I am completely at a loss for what to do.

I hear a knock on the door. Normally, I would answer it myself, but right now, I have no desire to see anyone.

"Aoife?"

Are my ears deceiving me? I look up from my glass and straight into the eyes of my love. Time to face the music.

Explanations – Part 2

I stood and just looked at him for a moment. He was really and truly standing right in front of me. I laughed nervously. "Jordan, I . . .” My voice caught in my throat, rendering me, of all people totally speechless.

"Aoife, please tell me what I thought I saw last night was not really what I saw." Jordan stood looking at me, his hazel eyes showing the tumultuous mixture of emotions that he was feeling. His heart was racing.

"I can't, dear heart." I sighed heavily, turned had headed to the bar. I opened the cupboard and pulled out two shot glasses and a bottle of my best single malt whiskey. I knew that we were going to need it.

I walked back to the couch, sat down and motioned for him to sit next to me. He hesitated for a few seconds and then sat down on the far opposite end. By then I had poured us both a shot of whiskey. I handed him one which he downed immediately. Mine quickly followed suit.

I could feel his heart rate slow to a more normal level and watched as a look of steely determination came across his face. “So, I’m here. Explain.”

I took a minute or two to gather my thoughts. How much should I tell him tonight? How much did he need to know? Where the hell did I start? “What do you want to know?”

“Are you even human?” His gaze bored into me.

I looked from my empty glass and back at him. “No, Jordan. I’m not. I haven’t been for a very long time.”

“So what exactly are you then? Up until twenty-four hours ago, I thought you were human. More than a little eccentric, but human.” He reached over to the whiskey and poured himself another glass.

“I’m a sumaire.” At this point I figured strait to the point was probably the best way to go.

His response was to choke on the whiskey. “You’re a what?!”

“Oh, come on. You know Gaelic.” I replied.

“Never heard that word. English please.”

“I’m a vampire, Jordan.” There I had said it. I steeled myself for his reaction, which I assumed would be to get the hell out of my manor as fast as he could. But his reaction was the complete opposite. Instead of leaving he actually moved closer to me. The fear that I had been sensing was now completely replaced with curiosity.

“Okay . . . and that entails what?” I could have sworn that he was trying not to smile.

It caused me to smile half heartedly at him. “You have got to be kidding. I drink blood.”

“Well, no shocker there. I mean; how much of what is written is real?”

“You mean in books and movies?”

“Yeah.”

“Well most of it is completely off base. I don’t sleep in a coffin.”

“Wow. Okay so what do you sleep in then?”

“A freezer.” Jordan’s eyebrows shot up in surprise.

“What about sunlight and such?” At that point I just laughed.

“Okay, time for your first lesson about vampires.”

He scooted even closer. “I’m game.”

“Jordan, aren’t you scared?”

“Well, I was at first. I mean yesterday, seeing you like that and all. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that a lot of the way you react to things makes sense now.”

“Ah.”

“So spill.”

“Okay, okay. For most, well all other vampires but me, sunlight can kill if they are out in it too long.”

“What about stakes?”

“You mean like they use them in the movies?” I was amazed at how well he was taking all of it.

“Um, yeah. Do they kill you?”

“No, they don’t. They paralyze us. So it gives the impression that we’re dead. I’m immune to its effects though.”

“What else?” I was totally taken aback by his attitude. But I really shouldn’t have been. It was so very typical Jordan.

“Fine. Silver will paralyze us and too much will kill us. Again, not me though. And before you ask, no I can’t turn into a bat or fly. I do have a wicked vertical leap though.”

Jordan started laughing, hard. “I’m sorry, but the image of you as a bat . . .” That comment earned him a punch in the arm. By now, my own fears were starting to fade. Maybe we could make this work.

Once he got control of himself, his demeanor turned serious. “Aoife, how old are you?”

“I’m forever twenty-six.”

Jordan huffed in frustration. “I can see that. How old are you really?”

“I was born here in this very manor in the summer of 1333. I was turned in the fall of 1359.”

So you’re six hundred and fifty-three years old?!” The look on his face was priceless.

“Yep. And if you tell me that I look my age . . .” I tried to look angry, but couldn’t pull it off. Then Jordan did something that totally caught me off-guard, he leaned in and gave me a scorching kiss. Not a peck on the cheek, but an honest to goodness lustful, hungry kiss. I couldn’t help it, I started purring.

He pulled back and looked at me. “Are you purring?”

I looked at him sheepishly. “Yes.”

“Oh, god. That has got to be the sexiest thing in the world.” Jordan leaned back in for another kiss. As much as I wanted to go where this was leading, I stopped him.

“Jordan, I’m not human. My responses aren’t going to be what you expect. We need to take this slowly.” God, I wanted to take it fast, but if he didn’t know what he was getting into, he might get hurt.

He looked at me, hurt filling his features. "What? You don't want to sleep with me?"

I took his hands into mine and started to gently rub the tops of them with my thumbs. "I want nothing more to make love you. But you need to be prepared and right now you're not."

"Make love?" Funny the things that humans focus in on. Here I was worried about seriously hurting him and he focuses on my word choice.

"Yes. Make love." Did I say it? I stood and walked to the window.

Jordan stood and walked over to me; he reached out and gently turned me to face him. "Are you trying to say what I think you are?"

I lost myself in his almost green eyes, searching them to see if now was the right time. "I think so. Jordan, I've always been told that vampires are incapable of love. I always believed that, but now . . . I think that it's all a total lie. I've fought how I feel about you for months now, and I'm tired of doing so. So, yes. I love you."

I swear if his face could have it would have lit up a Christmas tree. "I love you too, sweetheart."

This time it was me that leaned in and started the kiss. Yes, I knew that the road ahead was uncharted territory but it seemed one that we were both willing to enter.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Explanations - Parts 1 and 2 (PG)

Post by redwinter101 »

So many echoes of Mick and Beth - and so much joy between Jordan and Aoife.

Just lovely.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “Aoife's Journal's”