What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 18] PG13

NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 18] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Author’s note: So sorry for the long wait for this chapter! My muse was balking at it for some reason. I’ll try to be quicker with the next one.

Beta: As usual, much thanks goes to the ever-awesome Barb, Bank1115, who is supremely awesome.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

What Are You, Mick St. John?—Chapter 18

“I did not!” Mick cried indignantly at the same time Josef and the Cleaner said in unison, “He did not!”

Carl looked between Josh and the vampires. “—What just happened?”

“The assistant district attorney just perjured himself,” Josef snarled, his eyes glowing.

Beth was angry—Carl couldn’t be totally sure at whom. “Josh, what do you mean, Mick tried to kill you?”

“Right before you came in—he came down from the roof and started beating the crap out of me. He was going to kill me, until he remembered you were right outside!”

“I didn’t touch you, Josh, and you know it,” Mick growled.

“Can you prove it?” Josh dared him.

Mick stared him down. “Josh, if I had tried to kill you, you’d be dead.” He let his eyes glow white and displayed his fangs for emphasis.

“Yeah,” Josef growled, “You’d be dead for sure, because after something ‘came up’ and Mick couldn’t finish the job, I’d have stepped in—and I don’t leave things half-done.”

Josh’s jaw twitched—as did Mick’s.

“Josh?” Beth prompted him. He refused to answer or look at her.

Carl glared at Josh, then looked Beth in the eye. “Beth, Mick didn’t touch Josh. I did that to him.”

Beth stood up. “You, Carl?”

Carl nodded. “I had no choice,” he said. “Josh didn’t give me one.”

“Josh?” Beth looked down at him. He still wouldn’t meet her gaze. She shook her head; her eyes were suspiciously bright. “Carl, will you tell me what happened here this afternoon?”

“Josh found out. About vampires. He found some books of Lee Jay’s and put it all together.”

“He was trying to snoop around my office earlier this afternoon,” Mick interjected.

“That must have been just before he came here. He called and told me to meet him here immediately. I tried to reason with him, but… Then he started threatening to call the government. That’s when I called Josef.

“After we hung up, Josh managed to distract me and got the jump on me. We fought over the gun. It accidentally went off and grazed Josh. I was in shock. Then Josh hit me and got the gun away from me. He was going to shoot me”—Beth gasped and looked down at Josh—“when Ms. um…the Cleaner showed up.” Carl couldn’t stop his cheeks from reddening slightly as he glanced at the Cleaner.

“She sat him down on the couch and we were, uh, talking, when Josh said something insulting. She told him to stand up and say it to her face. Neither of us knew he had hidden one of Lee Jay’s stakes on him until it was too late.” He glared at Josh. Beth was still looking tearfully at him.

“Then I knocked Josh out and pulled the stake out of, um, the Cleaner. That’s when…uh, Josef arrived.” Now Carl blushed heavily and didn’t dare look at the Cleaner or especially Josef. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Mick look at him strangely, then lean forward slightly and inhale deeply. Mick’s eyes widened and he raised his eyebrow at Carl.

Stupid vampires literally sticking their noses in my business. I’m never going to hear the end of this. Carl snuck a glance at the Cleaner. She seemed indifferent. Hmm—maybe you get used to it. I guess they can’t exactly help smelling things…

“Pardon me, Lieutenant,” Josef interrupted his thoughts. “But I think you left out something?” He wiggled his eyebrows up and down.

…But geez, do they really have to comment on them? Carl coughed slightly. “Oh, come on, is that really relevant?”

Josef nodded firmly at him.

Carl sighed. “Ugh—fine. Well, when Josef arrived…Ms. Cleaner and I were, uh…otherwise engaged.” His cheeks reddened again. The Cleaner grinned adoringly at him.

“Oh, that’s right!” Josef slapped his thigh. “I’d forgotten all about you two making out!”

Beth’s eyebrows shot up. Carl threw his hands up and turned to look over at a spot on the wall.

With a smirk, Josef continued, “I was actually referring to when I came in and stopped to tie my shoe—but oh, I beg your pardon, you wouldn’t know about that—while I was paying attention to the placement of the tongue of my shoe, you were busy paying attention to the placement of your tongue in her mou—”

Carl stopped him with a dark glare over his shoulder. “Kostan, tomorrow I start putting silver bullets in my gun.”

Josef just smirked. “Think you can afford those on your salary?”

Carl just shook his head, muttering, “Man, I hate fun-ny, fun-ny vampires…”

“Why did you lie, Josh?” Beth demanded suddenly. “Why?”

“Why did you lie to me?”

“I-I couldn’t tell you what really happened—what they were, Josh. I was sworn to secrecy.”

“You used to tell me everything! You know I can keep a secret.”

“It wasn’t a matter of trust—I was trying to protect you. This secret’s different, Josh…I think you know that.”

“Why’d Mick tell you, then?” Josh glared.

“He didn’t tell me. I kinda—”

“—Your plucky little girlfriend wouldn’t do as she was told—twice, by two different people—and wait in the car,” Josef interrupted hotly. “She walked in to the warehouse and saw some things we couldn’t explain away. After ascertaining she would not go home and write the tabloid story of the century, we released her.”

Beth glared at him, then looked back at Josh. “Why did you tell me Mick tried to kill you?

“So Mick didn’t try to kill me, literally—but he’s trying to take you away from me, where you belong. Can’t you see, Beth? You’ve been brainwashed by these monsters!”

“Okay, I’m really not liking this guy,” Josef stated dryly. “What do you see in him, Beth?”

“Josef. Knock it off,” Mick shook his head pointedly.

“I’m—I’m not sure anymore—the Josh I knew wouldn’t have done these things.” Beth turned her back to Josh.

“Beth—”

“Nothing like staking a vampire to let your true colours shine,” Josef quipped darkly. Josh turned hateful eyes to him.

“I under—I understand you can’t let him go,” Beth shut her eyes briefly. “—But do you have to kill him? Can’t you just put him in some sort of…vampire…jail?” She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

“Vampire jail?!” Josef snorted. “Vampire jail is a stake through the heart...Somehow I don’t think that’s quite what you had in mind.”

“No,” Beth let out a half-sob, half chuckle and shook her head. “Not really.”

“Beth…” Mick took a step toward her.

“No,” Beth shook her head and stepped back, “it’s okay Mick…I…I understand.” She turned and walked across the room and sank down against the wall, burying her face in her hands.

“Well, Mick,” Josef began, “I think that’s the signal for you to make an honest man out of Josh.”

Mick whipped his head around to stare at Josef in horror. It only took Carl a second longer to do the same.

“What?! No. No!” Mick glanced desperately over at Beth. “I—I can’t! I can’t do that.”

“Relax, buddy,” Josef said calmly, brushing a piece of lint off of Mick’s sleeve. “Remember what I said before? I’ll finish the job for you.”

“And don’t forget me—I want my piece,” the Cleaner flashed her fangs. “Nobody—nobody—stakes a Cleaner.”

Beth rose from her seat on the floor by the wall and returned to stand in front of Josh. “I loved you Josh—I still do. But I don’t know you anymore. You betrayed me, and tried to kill a friend, and a friend of a friend—and now you have to pay the consequences.” A single tear rolled down her left cheek. “I’m sorry for you—for us—that it has to end this way.”

Josh hung his head. “Beth…” he pleaded. “I do love you…”

She turned to Josef. “Can you please just make it quick? I don’t want him to suffer.”

Josef opened his mouth as if to comment, but instead dipped his head in acknowledgement. “As you wish.”

Carl pressed his lips together. Maybe Kostan does know when to shut up after all. I can’t imagine what Beth must be going through.

Beth turned and walked listlessly in the direction of the door.

“Beth! Don’t leave me—BETH!” Josh yelled. “Don’t leave me with them! How can you say you love me and let them do this to me?! They’ll kill me—BETH!”

Mick started to follow her, but stopped in front of Josh. “For what it’s worth, I wish it hadn’t happened like this, Josh.”

“This is all your fault, St. John,” Josh seethed. “My blood is on your hands!”

“No…it’s not. And it’s because you can’t see that that you won’t be around much longer.”

“Excuse us, Mick, but Mr. Lindsay and I, we have an execution to attend.” Josef stepped in between the two men. His eyes glowed white as he yanked Josh to his feet.

Mick nodded at Josef, then at Carl and the Cleaner. With one last sad look at Josh, he turned and exited the warehouse in a blur.

Josh was panicking, struggling in Josef’s iron grip. “Let me go! Let me go! You can’t do this to me! I’m a district attorney—you think they won’t notice?”

Josef just laughed at him with his fangs fully elongated. “You don’t have to watch this, Lieutenant,” he addressed Carl, not taking his eyes off Josh. He tilted his head in the direction of the door.

Carl exhaled shakily in relief. “Yeah, good. I’ll—I’ll be outside.” He looked at Josh one last time. “Josh…I…”

Josh’s eyes were really showing terror now. “Carl, you can’t let them kill me! Do something! Call them off!”

Carl looked at Josh, askance. “‘Call them off?’ They’re not dogs, Josh. And I certainly don’t control them.”

“We may not be dogs, but we sure have nice…canines…don’t we, Mr. Lindsey?” Josef flashed him a sinister grin.

Josh shuddered. “Carl, please. I’ll do anything—”

“Josh, you did anything but what you should have. I tried to warn you, Josh, what would happen. I did.”

“Well, Carl,” Josh interjected through gritted teeth. “I hope you can live with yourself.”

“I don’t have any regrets about how I handled things, Josh,” Carl responded sharply, “but I do regret how you did. I wish things had turned out differently. I really do. Up until today, I could say it was a privilege knowing and working with you—so we’ll try to end on that note.” He held out his hand. Josh spat on the hand and Carl withdrew it. He clenched his jaw. “Fine, then—I’m done.” He went over to the table and wiped his hand on Josh’s jacket. Then he nodded to Josef and the Cleaner. “Do with him what you gotta do—but I second Beth’s request. I think he’s caused himself enough suffering.”

Carl shook his head sadly and walked away. The Cleaner squeezed his arm as he brushed past her. He smiled weakly at her. “I’ll wait for you—we need to talk.” She nodded and he felt her eyes on him until he had walked down the corridor out of sight.

When Carl stepped outside, the late afternoon sun hit his eyes and he was forced to shade them with his hand. There was no sign of Mick or Beth. Carl folded his arms, shut his eyes and leaned up against his car to wait.

To be continued…
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Re: What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 18] PG13

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Oh, no!!!! Poor Josh! Even tho he deserves it, oh no!!!! I can't look! :scary:
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Wow--that was a very intense chapter!! Beth has her eyes opened to see Josh as he truly is. When Josh spit on Carl's hand it was like an act of treason!!! He is getting what he deserves!!!! :mob: I love this story and can't wait for more... :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :gasp: :mdrama: :slappy: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :seesaw: :angel: :dizzy: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :thanks:

mitzie
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

*Phew* Glad to see you guys haven't forgotten about this story after I took so long to update! ;) Thanks so much, Woll & Mitz!

Mitz, I don't really know what Carl expected--would you shake a guy's hand after he was leaving you with a couple vampires that wanted to kill you? That's not to say Josh doesn't deserve it, though...

You might still want to hide behind the couch, Woll...
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh! Scary chapter. As much as we love our vamps, being on the receiving end of angry fangs WOULD be a horror movie!

Is he really gonna kill Josh??? :chair:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Julie, why do I get the feeling Josh isn't quite leaving this world yet???

All of the characters' actions made sense to me here, except Beth. Maaaaaaan did she ever turn on a dime. *note to self - never trust the blonde*

Unless......

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I have a sneaky suspicion that Josh isn't gone.

Beth certainly can change her mind quick too :snicker:

Looking forward to more :thumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
ash
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Trying juggle, homework, uni, a social life, rp and writing things that get stuck in my head. Tough

Post by ash »

Well...i do frown for Josh,i was never a hater of his character but silly man should have known better. i mourn him. can't wait for more
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Yay! A new chapter! :yahoo:

I almost feel sorry for Josh here, except he's a liar. And how much am I LOVING Carl in this fic?
Carl stopped him with a dark glare over his shoulder. “Kostan, tomorrow I start putting silver bullets in my gun.”

Josef just smirked. “Think you can afford those on your salary?”

Carl just shook his head, muttering, “Man, I hate fun-ny, fun-ny vampires…”
A very fun "what if" story!

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Julie,

Great update :hearts: Are you really going to do in poor Josh? He does deserve it, but won't he be missed? Or does Josef have his own plans for him?

I laughed as Carl came to understand just how 'uninhibited' vamps can be....life is going to be very interesting for him, especially if he gets involved with a Cleaner!!!
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thank you all so much for reading! I'm glad you're enjoying.

WP--Agreed. Angry Mick and Josef and Cleaner are scary.

Red + Coco--I don't know why you get the feeling Josh isn't done--maybe it's because he might still show up in the next chapter? As for Beth...she's in shock, Josh has suddenly changed and is being completely unreasonable, and she knows he did the unforgivable to vampires (threatening to expose + staking) and they can't let that go. Remember, she did ask for no death penalty, and when that didn't pan out, she asked for it to at least be quick. She does still care for him, but he kinda went off the deep end here, and she understands the vamps have to do what they have to do...

Ash--I don't hate Josh either, but in this story, him knowing that Beth was not just keeping stuff from him about Mick, but was actively lying to his face about it, turned out to drive him a little crazy...

PNW--Why thank you! Glad you're having fun. I've enjoyed giving Carl a larger role.

Karen--You'll have to see next chapter about Josh. I think the Cleaner would be able to come up with something to explain his sudden disappearance. Glad you liked Carl's little realization about the "downsides" of heightened vamp senses--it is rather rude of them (by them, I mostly mean Josef) to make an effort to point things out, isn't it?
kpyle
Freelance freshie

Post by kpyle »

Love the update!! Josh should have listened to Carl!! I see how Beth realizes that there is no alternative for the Vamps to have to take care of Josh, but I do wonder how she will react to Mick after this!! She may understand, but will she forgive? Can't wait for more!! :mrgreen:
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
MSJ_sunglasses
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MSJ_sunglasses »

Is Josh really on the cliff's edge? :eek2:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Kelly--Thanks so much! Josh should have listened to Carl, but...secrets and lies made him lose it a little. I don't think Beth will blame Mick much for this--he's not the one "in charge." I don't think she'll blame Josef or the Cleaner, much either--Josh kind of sealed his own fate. She understands. She doesn't necessarily like it, but she understands. Josh is making it easier for her at the moment, too...

MSJ--Wow, you read way beyond what you'd planned for tonight! Thank you, I'm honoured! Well, you're all caught up now, so you can relax until the next update. Yup, Josh is on the cliff's edge...
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Noc, was Josh's demise so gruesome you couldn't bear to watch?!! Just kidding, but we are anxiously awaiting the description of his terrible fate!!! :quill:
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris

Return to “What Are You, Mick St. John?”