All About Mick #13

Locked Mick St. John threads can be found here
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: All About Mick #13

Post by allegrita »

All of these pictures remind me of something that's very important when we consider why Alex=Mick. It's not the beauty... it's the personality that shines through the beauty, making those expressions more beautiful because they are so soulful.

This is why I get frustrated when I see the conversation lingering on the physical alone. It's not the physical. The physical is all very well and good, but pretty is cheap in Hollywood, folks. It's the soul that Alex imbued in Mick that I fell in love with. That's why Jason Patrick, Henry Thomas, Johnny Depp, or [name your favorite pretty face] wouldn't work as Mick. Alex understood Mick. Alex poured tons of thought, emotion, heart, and soul into Mick, and that is what we see when we drool over his pictures. It's his soul that is so sexy... it's packaged well, certainly, but that's not what we love. Even in my shallowest moods (and believe me, I have some major shallow moments), I can never forget that.
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

Some of the best "parted lips" pics for Lisa :rose:

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

allegrita wrote:All of these pictures remind me of something that's very important when we consider why Alex=Mick. It's not the beauty... it's the personality that shines through the beauty, making those expressions more beautiful because they are so soulful.

This is why I get frustrated when I see the conversation lingering on the physical alone. It's not the physical. The physical is all very well and good, but pretty is cheap in Hollywood, folks. It's the soul that Alex imbued in Mick that I fell in love with. That's why Jason Patrick, Henry Thomas, Johnny Depp, or [name your favorite pretty face] wouldn't work as Mick. Alex understood Mick. Alex poured tons of thought, emotion, heart, and soul into Mick, and that is what we see when we drool over his pictures. It's his soul that is so sexy... it's packaged well, certainly, but that's not what we love. Even in my shallowest moods (and believe me, I have some major shallow moments), I can never forget that.
Alle that's just lovely and so very, very true. :hearts:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

And on the subject of beautiful souls, this has been my screensaver since CBS released the pic all those months ago - wonderful, soulful, heartbreaking, beautiful Mick:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Bravo Allegrita! Exactly right! Yes, Alex is an attractive man meaning that Mick is an attractive man/vampire, but there has to be that something intangible. It's in those subtle facial expressions, the way he speaks, walks and carries himself, a spark in everything he does. Alex invoked the old soul needed to play Mick.

There are lots of TV/movie characters I like, but very few have stolen my heart the way Mick did. That's because Alex played him to perfection.

Let me quote FDL..."Alex=Mick."

*Christy*

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Gorgeous, Red. Poor heartbroken, dying, self-sacrificing Mick. He looks like death warmed over, and still hot and needy and like he's reaching out for help.
And Allegrita, your thoughts are very very true and appreciated.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Red ITA - that is one of the most stunning Mick pics in existence. :hearts:

It captures everything there is about Mick. :heart:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Lucky
Freelance freshie
Location: In Mick world, hanging with the sisters...loving every moment..

Post by Lucky »

How he holds back from biting, slowly dying in the tub, hoping for Beth..yes..there is that soul, Alex captures so well..

Avi and banner by Eris, thanks so much!!
lafluffy
Freelance freshie

Post by lafluffy »

mwj01 wrote::gasp: You just HAD to go there, didn't you SS? Those thighs are my kryptonite.
Here's a nice big chunk of kryptonite :evillaugh: :

lafluffy, Queen of the Damned Fluffies
........................Image
.......................Fabulous screencap by the ever fabulous lighterthanair.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

:sigh: :Mickangel:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

allegrita wrote:All of these pictures remind me of something that's very important when we consider why Alex=Mick. It's not the beauty... it's the personality that shines through the beauty, making those expressions more beautiful because they are so soulful.

Completely agree, Alle. Alex gave such depth and emotion to a character that could have easily become cheesy and did it SO well. Red said it well - Alex made Mick wonderful, soulful, heartbreaking and beautiful.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

Beautifully said, Alle! :rose:
This is the ode to Alex and his unique talent.
Alex breathed life into the Mick character, he was Mick and we all enjoyed the thrill even if it was for such a short time :hankie:
Alex will go on to make great movies and have a huge career and I will follow all the way but Mick will stay with me forever.
lafluffy
Freelance freshie

Post by lafluffy »

allegrita wrote::sigh: :Mickangel:
Hey, sorry about that! :hug: It took forever for me to get the pic on the page so I missed your wonderful defence of Mick and Alex at soul level. Can't say I disagree with you at all! Frankly, if that body belonged to someone other than the guy who played Mick I wouldn't give it the time of day. Sigh. Sometimes ya can't win no matter how you cut it. I see Mick as a whole. I cringe and blush when things go south too much; I'm really not interested in fantasising and don't care to hear others' fantasies (I guess that's why I don't read fanfic- don't hurt me). He's lovely to look at. But as a whole, beautiful body, beautiful soul.

I think the original idea of talking about Mick turned into drooling over pix of Mick. All about Mick (the subject title) is so much more than just the pix. Where did we go wrong? :Mickangel:
lafluffy, Queen of the Damned Fluffies
........................Image
.......................Fabulous screencap by the ever fabulous lighterthanair.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

dc---thank you, doll. I do love those parted lip pix. And you, for knowing that and posting them :heart:

Alle--God, how I adore you. You put it perfectly. Pretty faces are a dime a dozen in La La Land--but a charismatic, talented actor who has the undefinable "it" quality--well, that's rare and very special. And how lucky are we to have seen this man at the beginning of his stardom. Granted, all that is wrapped in a gorgeous package, but it starts with who the man is. How unbelievable it is to find a gorgeous man, who is extremely talented and down to earth.

Just love him for all that he is.

(hope that turned your frown upside down!) :comfort:
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

I remember last May when ML was canceled, one of the TV Guide reporters (it might have been Matt Roush?) had a little piece about who deserved a second chance among the actors with the canceled shows. And he said about Alex that he is the complete package "dashing, charismatic, and soulful". I liked that comment.

Also last summer when the heartbreak was still raw, Raven started a thread on MLF about "why I am an Alex fan" and this is what I wrote:
"I didn't know Alex and his work until I turned my TV on during a very quiet Friday evening last fall and caught the 8th episode of Moonlight. And that was it! My conversion to a fan of Alex and the show was total and complete within minutes. This was unusual for me, to say the least, I am not a regular TV viewer.
That was the magic of Moonlight and Alex's acting. He was able to create in Mick St. John the most memorable, complex character put on film in a very long time.
Most shows keep the audience's attention for the duration of the episode. When I watch any other show, I am fully aware of the distance between me, as a viewer, and the characters portrayed. But for Moonlight this barrier of illusion was shattered. Alex was able to draw me into the show and make me feel a strong empathy for Mick, I found myself rooting for a fictional character as if he were a real person. Alex did all this by the most exquisite, subtle acting I have ever seen. He could show the deepest emotions by a look, the raising of an eyebrow, a faint smile, the slightest body movement. His Mick St. John was charming and charismatic but also conflicted and wounded, he could captivate with his strength and at the same time exasperate with his self-doubt. Never before had I joined a forum or spent time discussing episodes, speculating and debating about what was to come next in Mick and Beth's lives! The show's unexpected cancellation left a void in my heart.
I also checked out Alex's other movies and my initial impression was justified.
I loved Jack and his coming of age story in the Oyster farm, I cried for Will in Mary Bryant, I was captivated by Michael and his tortured soul in Feed, I was charmed by Hiatt and his adventures in the Shield, I felt sympathy for bad boy Marcus in the Invisible. In every role Alex's diverse talent was in full display, every character so different and unique!
I have not met Alex, not yet at least , but from what I have read and seen in interviews and events, he comes across as a very honest and genuine person who truly loves his work and appreciates his fans. What can I say about his frequent notes to his fans? I still cry when I read the one about the cancellation of Moonlight! Or smile when I read his last note about his new exciting project.
So, yes! I am an Alex fan for life and proud of it!
I wish him the best, he deserves all the success that is undoubtedly coming to him."
A lot of fans poured their hearts out which really helped the ease the pain at the time.

Return to “The Mick St. John Archives”