redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Afterglow, part ten (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Afterglow
Author: redwinter101
Rating: on the hard side of PG-13 for the sex scene
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: *drumroll* And here it is - my 4000th post on this board (eek!). Some of you might reach the end of this chapter and wish for it to be the end of the story. 'Fraid not. Two more chapters to come.

*******************************************************************************************************

--- Afterglow, part 10 ---

Josef had only managed to dodge Mick's calls and avoid his impromptu visits to home and office for a couple of weeks. As Christmas revelries faded, Josef knew it was only a matter of time until he had to face his friend. The problem was, he still hadn't worked out what he was going to say, which lie to tell. The ever-present knot of dread in his gut tightened as he weaved along the driveway one chill Tuesday morning, eager for the sanctuary of home, only to find the Benz parked, waiting. Mick leaned against the hood, arms folded, ankles crossed, scowl firmly fixed.

"Mick. I wasn't expecting you." Josef kept a steady stride toward the house, Mick following, confused and angry.

"The hundred or so telephone calls and messages didn't give you a hint that I need to talk to you?" There was a cold edge to his voice; no matter how much Josef had done over the preceding months, his evasion had left Mick in turmoil.

Josef breezed through to the living room, summoning assistants along the way, the house's early morning routine swinging into action. Mick took a seat on the cool leather banquette, glowering; he was here now and he could wait. And wait he did; Josef carried on as though it were any other day, calls made, instructions given, refreshment taken, until finally they were alone once more.

"What, no other distractions?" Mick rose and stepped into Josef's space, his stare uncompromising. "You've been avoiding me and I want to know why."

It was a simple question, but Josef hesitated. He tried to turn away but Mick placed a firm hand on his arm. "Josef, whatever's going on, please, just tell me."

Where Josef had been prepared for anger, he was disarmed by need. "Mick..." God, he was tired, but avoidance was no longer an option. "You're right. I have been avoiding you." A small smile didn't reach his eyes. He spoke in a near-whisper. "Because I made a mistake. I should never have told you I had a plan until I had all the pieces in place. I've been avoiding you because I didn't know how to tell you that I'm not sure I can pull this off."

He held Mick's eye, hoping dishonesty would be mistaken for regret. He watched Mick's frown soften to concern, hands on hips, eyes closed, a long, slow sigh. "You should have told me."

"I know. But admitting the possibility of failure doesn't come easily. Particularly not with something this important."

"So, will you tell me now?"

"As much as I can." Josef couldn't stand Mick's closeness any longer, moving away, feigning nonchalance, gazing through the window. "I've been negotiating with the Europeans - they're the ones who really call the shots. I thought I was on sure ground. We share... history." He picked idly at a stray lapel thread. "But it seems some of their American brethren have gone renegade. It is creating an uncomfortable sense of déjà vu among the hierarchy." His grimace was genuine and bitter; none of this would have happened in the old days when the Legion had better things to do than terrorise insignificant couples. It made Josef long for simpler times when mere survival was enough of a motive. "They are occupied with their own schemes and intrigues, which makes them infuriatingly uninterested in anything I have to propose."

"So, that's where you've been, Europe?"

"Mostly."

"You could have told me, Josef. I don't expect you to do the impossible."

Josef turned, months of frustration bubbling to the surface, prodded by shame and sorrow, "Really, Mick? Because it feels like that is precisely what you expect." He stalked to the bar, clanking decanter against tumbler as he poured a hefty slug of whisky, downing it and refilling.

"That's not fair, Josef."

"Well, who said anything about fair? I'm doing my utmost, using every resource at my disposal, but if it isn't enough, are you really telling me that you won't blame me?" Back on the sure ground of attack, he fixed Mick with an accusing stare, feeling the righteous anger burn. If only Mick had kept himself apart, stayed within the fold, safe from the vicious temptations of love, emotion, humanity, none of this would be happening and he wouldn't be stuck in a riptide of betrayal.

"Josef, my friend, that is exactly what I'm telling you." Mick crossed to Josef, grasping his shoulders, searching his face for understanding. "What do you need me to do?"

"There's nothing. I wish there were something but it's just time and patience. Both of which are at a premium."

Mick paced, digesting, contemplating his options. "So. I'll leave you in peace to do what you need to do, whether it works or not. If there's anything you need, call me. Otherwise I'll stay away until I hear from you with news, one way or another. If you don't reach a deal, then there's no deal to be reached and I'll have to find another way."

Josef opened his mouth to respond but Mick silenced him with a raised hand and a smile. Nodding briefly, he turned and left.

The shattering of crystal against concrete brought servants scurrying.

Mick thought he had relieved the pressure but in truth, Josef had never felt so lost.

Josef made his final preparations as he rode the elevator to Mick's apartment. Clothes smoothed, emotions controlled, breezy smile ready. He flexed his fingers, unclenching the envelope that provided the excuse he needed to break their isolation. It had been over a month since they had spoken, more than two since they had seen each other. He marvelled at Mick's ability to honour their agreement that Josef would be in touch when he had something to report, not to call every day, to check for news, to hector or harangue. He knew if their positions were reversed, he would not have been so patient.

He jumped at the ping, muttering, "Smooth, Kostan. Very smooth." With a deep breath he headed from the stark fluorescence of the elevator into the warm, welcoming light of the hallway. A complex mix of scents led him to his friend's door. Resting above the usual background of polish and Mick, there was new blood, sweat, fear and the adrenaline of release. They were the scents of aftermath and Josef wondered how many times in the last weeks they had permeated Mick's home.

Caught by unfamiliar hesitancy, he wondered whether to knock. He never knocked; it wasn't normal for him to knock. But then it wasn't normal for him to be absent for so long either. He clicked and swung the door wide, "Good morning, M-ick," a momentary catch as he took in the disarray before him.

Mick spun away, surprised, too caught in the consequence of his night's work to sense Josef's arrival. He had arrived home late, past sunrise, pumped on the thrill of fresh kill, the man's blood, hot, fear-filled and desperate, still coursed through him. He forced the vampire under control before turning back, grinding out a hoarse, "Josef." A cursory inspection told Josef all he needed to know. Blood spattered Mick's shirt, flecks across his pants, decorating his hands, throat. A torn jacket lay thrown across the couch, matching the scores on his shirt. Whoever had been his prey tonight hadn't gone down easy.

"A case?" Josef waved his hand toward Mick's bloodied form. "Or recreation?"

"A case. A.... He got what was coming to him." Until tonight he had almost forgotten the instinct to hunt, to chase, to kill. The man had deserved his death but Mick had felt more than satisfaction at justice served. It was pleasure, almost sexual, enough to numb.

"I don't doubt it for one second." Josef settled on the couch, making himself at home as though no time had passed, as if the tension between them weren't heavy and tight. "A drink would be nice. Whatever you're having, unless you've already had your fill, of course."

"Help yourself. I'll be back." Mick strode upstairs, returning in a clean shirt and jeans, face and hands pristine once more. He sat opposite, eyeing the envelope laying on the table between them. "It's good to see you, Josef. How've you been?"

"Busy, busy. You know how it is," his smile cool, neutral.

"So?"

"So?"

Mick sighed, not in the mood for games, "So why are you here?"

Josef reached for the envelope and threw it to Mick. "Because I had a delivery to make. A special delivery, my friend." And in an instant the awkwardness was gone, the warm glow returning, the care in Josef's voice.

"Is this what I think it is?" He held the envelope gingerly, wary of hope, terrified of disappointment.

"If you think it's good news, then yes, it is. Go on. Open it then."

Mick needed no second bidding, easing out the sheaf of documents. It was too much to take in at once: a marriage licence, a private flight manifest bearing Beth's name, photographs. Mick scanned, flicking back and forth, trying to take in every wondrous word, every picture, every dream fulfilled; Beth drinking coffee at a sidewalk cafe, sunny, bright and just a little sad; Beth interviewing a group of kids, reaching out to encourage the shy girl standing off to one side; images, emotions flooded and overflowed. He stood, sat, stood again dropping the documents to the table and ran for the kitchen, hand to mouth. The taste of blood, so comforting just a few moments earlier, now cloying in his throat. He retched over the sink, purging the remnants of his night's work.

Josef waited, patient and still. He had watched Mick fight, quietly, and now he would see him enjoy his reward, no matter how short-lived. Mick would never know the limits of his joy; Josef had decided - he didn't need to know. Mick composed himself, loosened his grip on the sink, straightened, eyes closed, drawing breath. He moved to pour them both a drink, Scotch, swilling it around his mouth, enjoying the cleansing burn. Returning to sit, he looked through the papers again, taking in the details, a smile starting with his eyes, sparkling with tears, spreading across his face. Satisfied that the proof he held did indeed signify both an end and a new beginning, he looked to Josef, asking simply, "How?"

"How? Well, I'll keep that story for a rainy day. For now, it's over. You're safe. You're both safe. She's coming back to you, my friend." Mission complete, Josef stood and headed for the door. "And by the way, it also means you've got less than three weeks to plan a wedding."

With a chuckle he turned, Mick reaching his side. There was so much he wanted to say. A year almost ended, a year that had taken its toll on all of them, bonds stretched to breaking point, resources tested. Now it was nearly over. Mick drew Josef into a tight embrace, whispering, "Thank you." There was no more to be said.

As Josef waited at the elevator, he heard a long-forgotten sound as Mick's laugh rang out. He was doing the right thing, making the only choice. He had to believe that.

"Josef." Beth walked slowly down the jet's steps, taking Josef's hand, matching his smile. "I feel like I should kneel and kiss the ground. It's so good to be home."

"And it's wonderful to have you home. And kneeling really is unnecessary." He kissed her cheek. "You look radiant." Josef winced under the early evening sun, sunglasses providing welcome cover. "If you don't mind, we'll get out of the sun." They moved to the waiting limo, with so many echoes of the last time they had made this trip together. Beth checked her watch, over and over. "Don't worry, you'll still get your big, romantic, midnight moment. Providing Mick shows up, of course." That earned him a punch and a grin.

"I want it, but I want to see him now. I guess a few more hours is a small sacrifice, after..." Her voice trailed off, not wanting to bring memories of the last year into her cocoon of happiness.

"I've taken a suite at the Cambridge so you can freshen up and then we will be fountain-bound," Josef didn't bother trying to hide his grin.

"You're making fun of me."

"Indeed I am. Indulge me."

"After all you've done, that's the least I can do. Tell me again that it's really over; that I'm not dreaming." Josef's pause was momentary, no more than a heartbeat, but she heard it. "What is it, Josef? I thought-"

"There are never any guarantees about the future, you know that better than anyone, given your ability to find trouble at every turn. But, for now at least, you are safe." It was the truth, but not the whole truth.

"That sounded like a politician's answer. There's something you're not telling me."

He turned, finally emerging from behind his sunglasses, "Beth, there are many, many things I don't tell you. I'm not going to promise you a trouble-free future for all eternity because even I, with all my magical powers," he smirked, "can't control the future. What I can tell you is that you are free and safe for now. That's the best I can do. If it's not good enough, then maybe you should think about getting back on that plane and heading back to Washington." Harsh words wrapped in a soft tone as he tried to hide his wish that she would do just that and save them all from the heartache that was to come.

Mick checked the clock again. Months had become weeks, then days and now just hours until he saw her. She was here, now, in the same city, just a few miles away. Everything was arranged, all he had to do was work out what he was going to say. So many words, everything he had poured out in his letters, a year's worth of love. The temptation to call was almost overwhelming; but he had a promise to keep, and nothing was going to stand in his way now.

Checking around the loft, he realised how little had changed since she left a year ago. It was still their home and he hoped it would feel like that when she arrived. A few small touches to make the evening special, fresh flowers, a few candles, nothing extravagant, nothing out of the ordinary. The balm of homecoming would be enough.

Another glance; three hours and twenty minutes. Time to make himself presentable.

As he turned on the shower and stripped, Mick paused in front of the mirror, wondering what Beth would see. Had the last year changed him? The dark circles under his eyes were new. Scraping a hand across his scratchy jaw, he grimaced; that was coming off. But to all intents and purposes, he was unchanged, on the outside. A gnawing doubt flickered at his edges. How had Beth been changed by time and separation? What had this year been like for her? Shaking off the useless thoughts, he plunged under the chill water, gasping, giggling, carefree, like a child under a hydrant on a hot day. It would be perfect; it had to be. After everything they had been through to get here, he just had to trust for a little longer.

Dressed in black suit and dark grey shirt, shoes shined to a polish his sergeant major would have approved, hair raked from his face, clean-shaven and clear-eyed, Mick took a final inventory and headed out. He had no idea how Beth was making her way to their rendezvous but he was sure Josef had taken care of everything. Checking the clock again, he was going to be at least an hour early but the night was cool and calm and he could afford to take his time.

While Mick set off en route, Beth made her final preparations. She sat in front of the mirror, a high colour betraying her nerves, wondering what Mick would see. A year older, a line here, a freckle there.

"Do you need help?"

"Jesus, Josef," she gasped, her hand over her heart as if to force it back to a normal rhythm, "some things don't change. You still manage to almost give me a heart attack, sneaking around. I'm giving serious thought to tying a bell round your neck." She turned, resting her hand on his arm, searching his face. "You've been so amazing, I-"

He waved her compliment away, but she held him, her grip tightening. "Don't do that. Please. Let me thank you. You've saved us, both of us. We couldn't have got through any of this without you and," she paused, groping for the words to convey the depth of her feelings for her friend.

Overcome with a need to stem her thanks, Josef interrupted, "Beth, just let me ask you one more time. Are you sure this is what you want? Because after tonight, there's no going back, you know that?"

She blanched. "What are you asking me? There's something. I knew there was something you hadn't told me." She stood, planting herself in front of him. "What is it? What have you had to do to make this happen?"

He turned away. Her direct questions harder to avoid but no less painful than Mick's trusting acceptance. "You're right." He hesitated. The words were slipping out; he tried to hold back. "I-"

"Stop." She pulled him round, pressing her fingers to his lips, urgent and imploring. "Is it anything that will stop me marrying Mick tonight?" Josef shook his head. "Then don't tell me. I don't need to know."

Josef took her hand in his and brought it to his lips. "Mick's a lucky man."

"Yes, Josef, he is." She searched his face. "You look..."

"My age?"

"Something like that. This year has taken its toll on all of us." She brushed her fingers lightly across his cheek, thumbing the edge of his sad smile.

"There is one more duty I need to fulfil." Josef pulled a ring box from his pocket and opened it to display one wedding ring and space for another.

Beth raised an eyebrow, "He took off his ring?"

"Only when I threatened to take his finger if he wouldn't give it up. There are some occasions when tradition has to be respected."

Beth worked the ring off and placed it next to its companion, inspecting the pale, narrow band left behind.

"The car will be ready whenever you are. Is there anything else I can do?"

She kissed him. "No, thank you, Josef. Everything's just perfect."

The limo glided to a halt, Beth's hand already on the door handle.

"Beth."

She opened the door; she hadn't heard him, her attention no longer his.

"Beth." He reached out, holding her arm, preventing her exit. "Before you go..."

She turned and any thoughts Josef had of warning her, of trying to change what was coming, disappeared. She shone. The woman he had spent the last hours with was gone. The real Beth was back, full of life and hope. Nothing he could do would change that, even if he could bring himself to say the words.

"What is it, Josef?"

"Just, enjoy the moment." He smiled, kissing her cheek. "You both deserve it." He checked his watch. "Three o'clock at my house. Don't be late. Now, go." She flashed a smile, kissed him and was gone, out onto the square, knowing Mick was there.

Mick waited at the same spot as their first meeting, the fountain's flow against the background hum of fluorescent lights, passing traffic, the city at night. There was no dead girl this time, no hustle of cops and news crews, but that wasn't why this April night was different. He was different; they had made each other different. Where once he had convinced himself he only wanted to be a spectator in Beth's life, now the pulsing need to be with her again welled within and it made him smile. He wasn't alone any more; now, he craved her. For all their fine words about holding each other close, about separation being temporary and insignificant, they had been foolish to believe distance would be anything other than a constant ache. Not being able to talk to her, to feel her close by, to know that wherever they were, he was never more than a few miles from her, that had brought him to his knees. Now, he could stand again.

He closed his eyes, head tilted; she was close. It wasn't a scent or a sound - he could feel her. Eyes still closed, he started to move, forward, a little to the side, guided by his own magnetic north, his pole star. He stopped, breathing quickened, every nerve alive and aglow. Reaching out, mere inches, his arms circled, drawing her into his embrace. Warmth, life, her, like autumn rain on parched earth, flowing through cracks and crevices, reaching into his corners, washing him clean.

Beth tightened her arms around his neck, pulling his head to her shoulder, their bodies reconnecting, sense and muscle memories reawakened. The thrill of recognition and familiarity erased a lost year. None of the pain mattered now as they tucked into each other, stretching and holding, close, tight. He felt a hum rumbling inside her, a wordless shudder of joy, her hands moving, stroking through his hair, along his neck, tracing his outline, bringing him into focus. She drew back, her hands to his face, searing blue meeting soft hazel as Mick finally opened his eyes. She didn't need to see his mouth to know he was smiling.

The anticipation, the waiting and hoping, all had finally brought them to this point. They were so close there was no room for fear, no awkwardness, no searching for words, no need to re-acquaint. There was just them, together once more. She pressed her thumb gently to his chin, opening him to her as she pressed her lips to his. A year's kiss, quick and slow, soft and hard, light and deep. Mick swept her into his arms, coiling her legs around him as they moved together. The flow of Beth's body, soft, warm, over and around him, his woman, his wife; a flash of yearning, a craving for the naked intimacy of her touch left Mick gasping.

Softly, gently, Beth drew back, brushing her fingers across his face. "Hey." It was all she could manage, and it was enough.

"Hey." Mick touched his forehead to hers, his hands sliding beneath her jacket, stroking circles, tracing rib and spine. He kissed her again, moving from mouth to jaw to throat. He had expected the vampire to roar but his desire was all him, all human. In the fire of her embrace, he felt like a man, a husband once more.

"There's so much..." he whispered.

"I know," a catch in her voice.

"We've got time."

"Forever, remember?"

"Forever." Mick pulled the marriage licence from his jacket pocket. "Because I always keep my promises." He lifted her once more, twirling, faster, giddy, her laugh rising, meeting his, filling the empty square with hope and love and rapture.

Josef watched, jaw clenched, still and unblinking, determined to watch the consequences of his actions. Finally, he turned to the driver, "Home, Paul. We have a wedding to attend." As they pulled away, he reached for his phone, dialled, waited one ring and at the voiceless pick-up spoke, "Everything has gone as planned. The clock starts now," and hung up without waiting for a response. One part of the deal was done. The remainder would not come to pass so easily. Sinking back in his seat, he allowed his eyes to close, a futile attempt to block out the images of the future, of what he must do, of the pain he would bring to bear on those he loved most.

As he paused, waiting for Beth to emerge, Josef realised Mick had been right. For all his desire to make a big show, to demonstrate the extent of his largesse, this small ceremony was perfect. There were no families, no friends, just the bride and groom and the requisite witnesses, subtle florals and candlelight. Here, in his home, in the pre-dawn hush of an April morning, they had everything they needed.

The door opened and Beth stepped out, shy but radiant, clutching a small posy. She stood awaiting his inspection. "Well?"

Josef stepped forward, his smile genuine and warm, "You look beautiful. That dress is the perfect choice." He cast an approving eye, distracted by the drape of creamy silk against curve.

Beth giggled, appreciating his approval. "You gave me so many to choose from. I just hope Mick likes it."

"He's an idiot, but not a total fool, my dear." Josef took her arm and guided her to the top of the stairs. "So you have something old, Mick," which earned him a grin and a punch on the arm, "something new," he stroked a finger along the plunging neckline of her dress, raising a blush. "So now you need something borrowed." He rummaged in his pocket, producing a battered velveteen box, which he flipped open with a flourish to reveal a pair of heavy-set, diamond earrings. "They were, believe it or not, my mother's."

"Oh, Josef, they're beautiful. I..." He eased them from the box and held them out to her. "One of these days I will get you to tell me the story behind these earrings."

"And one of these days, I might just let you. Now, that just leaves something blue. Hmmm. Let me think what that could be. If the way you and Mick were looking at each other when you arrived is anything to go by, I don't think that's going to be a problem."

Another blush, but no denial. Beth was already wishing the ceremony over, to be home, in her husband's arms, in their bed. "You may well be right. After all, a year is a very long time," her voice a husky whisper. "Now, I think it's time for you to give me away, don't you?"

Josef hadn't detained them long once the service was over. He had enough sense to realise that the ceremony was no more than formality, a milestone reached, a promise kept. Even the weary celebrant, inured to the caprices of the spoiled and wealthy, was struck by the weight of the couple's words, oft-repeated vows made new and vital. Rings exchanged, rites completed, hugs, kisses, handshakes exchanged, Josef hustled them out, urging them home so they, and he, could be alone.

Peaceful and silent, they drove home, her body pressed close to him in the pre-dawn hush. Awake, alive, alone, they sped through the night, no-one in the sleeping city to bear witness to their glory.

As the elevator doors opened, Beth couldn't stem her tears any longer, turning to Mick, "I can't believe we're really here. Finally." The rest of her words lost in a mumble against his chest. Mick strode along the hallway, his bride in his arms, through the door to the refuge within.

Home.

He craved the absence of feeling no more. She was here again and he could open himself, let her back in, answer the call of his name on her lips, let go. Up the stairs at a steady pace, no longer any need to rush, the memories of their stolen moments banished. Toeing the bedroom door closed, he settled on the bed, Beth still in his arms, rocking gently as she curled tighter around him, their sanctuary re-made. Moments stretched as they stayed, held, needing only to be close. Time, so long their enemy, now their servant. As the rest of the city woke, they remained, still and present.

Eventually Beth moved, swift and purposeful, as though some invisible threshold had been crossed. It was time. Standing, her eyes firmly fixed to Mick's, she stepped out of her shoes, placed her jewellery, piece by piece, on the nightstand, and turned, sweeping her hair forward across her shoulder, waiting for him. He rose and drew down the zipper with a steady hand, slipping the dress over her shoulders, pooling it at her feet. She leaned into his cool hands resting against her skin, tracking from neck to shoulder, the memory of his touch, her feel, rising between them. Mick unclasped her bra, casting it aside, unbuttoning his shirt, pressing his body against her. His arms tightened around her waist; his tongue criss-crossing her neck; her hand reaching back, stroking though his curls as he tasted her.

Beth stepped forward and turned. She needed to take him in, watching as he stripped. His slow smile matched hers as they stared.

Mick caressed her from jaw to throat, slow, careful; moving his palm over the curve of her breast, sweeping across her belly, coming to rest at her hip. Beth followed, smiling at the smooth feel of his jaw, over his collarbone, down, circling muscle and bone, her fingers trailing, drawing a gasp of pleasure. Hands joined, Mick drew her down to the bed, her weight pressing against him, her body calling to him as she moved. The new joy and old pleasure of re-discovery; remembering the sweet spot just inside her hip that made her gasp with pleasure at his kiss; stroking the tender skin inside his thigh and feeling him tremble; the gentle passion of his fingers moving inside her.

Their rhythm had been broken, severed by separation, but now, in touch, intimacy, taste, sensation, they were re-connected. Mick moved over her, gently opening her to his body. She tightened her legs around him, guiding his cock into her as they joined, finally, flowing through each other, deeper, deeper. She held him, feeling the strain of his control, slipping. Drawing his face to hers, she nodded, his silver blink, their final commitment. As her blood flowed, they came together, free, joyous, unbound. So long apart, they were finally home.

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
coco
Cleaner

Re: Afterglow, part ten (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by coco »

Oh Red. :heart: :heart:

My emotions are all over the place at the moment and reading this has just made me even more emotional (in a totally good way :hug:). I know I'm not going to be able to leave a proper comment right now but I will be back when the tears have stopped and I've got my head together. Promise. :hearts:

:ysmile:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:hug: :hearts: :hug: :hearts: :hug: :hearts:

Hugs and hearts for coco. This wasn't supposed to be the chapter that makes anyone cry.....

Love you, honey.

Red

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh... :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie:
I'm so glad they don't know yet. They deserve this one day of pure joy.
I can't say anything else right now... I'm weeping too hard!
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

OK, the tears are under control :thumbs:

You made me cry happy tears with this one Red. What a gift this chapter was after struggling right along side Mick & Beth with their separation and all their desperation to get back together again.

First of all I was so impressed with Mick's reaction to Josef at the beginning. I honestly wasn't expecting him to react like that. He was so calm and together when he had been so much the opposite in previous chapters. It took Josef by surprise too.
"That's not fair, Josef."

"Well, who said anything about fair? I'm doing my utmost, using every resource at my disposal, but if it isn't enough, are you really telling me that you won't blame me?" Back on the sure ground of attack, he fixed Mick with an accusing stare, feeling the righteous anger burn. If only Mick had kept himself apart, stayed within the fold, safe from the vicious temptations of love, emotion, humanity, none of this would be happening and he wouldn't be stuck in a riptide of betrayal.

"Josef, my friend, that is exactly what I'm telling you." Mick crossed to Josef, grasping his shoulders, searching his face for understanding. "What do you need me to do?"

"There's nothing. I wish there were something but it's just time and patience. Both of which are at a premium."

Mick paced, digesting, contemplating his options. "So. I'll leave you in peace to do what you need to do, whether it works or not. If there's anything you need, call me. Otherwise I'll stay away until I hear from you with news, one way or another. If you don't reach a deal, then there's no deal to be reached and I'll have to find another way."

Josef opened his mouth to respond but Mick silenced him with a raised hand and a smile. Nodding briefly, he turned and left.
Then to see this hunter side of Mick - using this is a coping mechanism without Beth. Kind of gave me a chill.
"A case. A.... He got what was coming to him." Until tonight he had almost forgotten the instinct to hunt, to chase, to kill. The man had deserved his death but Mick had felt more than satisfaction at justice served. It was pleasure, almost sexual, enough to numb.
And then to have all of that suddenly replaced with this glimmer of hope from Mick.
"Is this what I think it is?" He held the envelope gingerly, wary of hope, terrified of disappointment.

"If you think it's good news, then yes, it is. Go on. Open it then."

Mick needed no second bidding, easing out the sheaf of documents. It was too much to take in at once: a marriage licence, a private flight manifest bearing Beth's name, photographs. Mick scanned, flicking back and forth, trying to take in every wondrous word, every picture, every dream fulfilled; Beth drinking coffee at a sidewalk cafe, sunny, bright and just a little sad; Beth interviewing a group of kids, reaching out to encourage the shy girl standing off to one side; images, emotions flooded and overflowed. He stood, sat, stood again dropping the documents to the table and ran for the kitchen, hand to mouth. The taste of blood, so comforting just a few moments earlier, now cloying in his throat. He retched over the sink, purging the remnants of his night's work.
This little moment between Mick & Josef spoke volumes about their friendship.
With a chuckle he turned, Mick reaching his side. There was so much he wanted to say. A year almost ended, a year that had taken its toll on all of them, bonds stretched to breaking point, resources tested. Now it was nearly over. Mick drew Josef into a tight embrace, whispering, "Thank you." There was no more to be said.
One of the things I've loved about this story is the Josef/Beth friendship. They are both such strong characters in their own right and I love when you have them interact together. There is an understanding between them which I love.
He turned, finally emerging from behind his sunglasses, "Beth, there are many, many things I don't tell you. I'm not going to promise you a trouble-free future for all eternity because even I, with all my magical powers," he smirked, "can't control the future. What I can tell you is that you are free and safe for now. That's the best I can do. If it's not good enough, then maybe you should think about getting back on that plane and heading back to Washington." Harsh words wrapped in a soft tone as he tried to hide his wish that she would do just that and save them all from the heartache that was to come.
I loved Mick counting down the clock - such a normal human thing to do when your anxious or nervous and then to have them both wonder about what the other will think of them after the year apart. Had they changed much in appearance or inside? Just wonderful Red.

This leaves me worried for the next two chapters though:
Overcome with a need to stem her thanks, Josef interrupted, "Beth, just let me ask you one more time. Are you sure this is what you want? Because after tonight, there's no going back, you know that?"

She blanched. "What are you asking me? There's something. I knew there was something you hadn't told me." She stood, planting herself in front of him. "What is it? What have you had to do to make this happen?"
It was so special to have them meet up again at the fountain. So much history between them in that one place and this second meeting there bringing so much joy to both of them.

I love that Mick has this reaction to Beth. It makes me happy.
He closed his eyes, head tilted; she was close. It wasn't a scent or a sound - he could feel her. Eyes still closed, he started to move, forward, a little to the side, guided by his own magnetic north, his pole star. He stopped, breathing quickened, every nerve alive and aglow. Reaching out, mere inches, his arms circled, drawing her into his embrace. Warmth, life, her, like autumn rain on parched earth, flowing through cracks and crevices, reaching into his corners, washing him clean.
Just in case I hadn't made it clear - the tears started way back when I read Mick's reaction to the marriage licence but they were in full flow by this point. All happy, happy tears.
"There's so much..." he whispered.

"I know," a catch in her voice.

"We've got time."

"Forever, remember?"

"Forever." Mick pulled the marriage licence from his jacket pocket. "Because I always keep my promises." He lifted her once more, twirling, faster, giddy, her laugh rising, meeting his, filling the empty square with hope and love and rapture.
The entire final scene between them was sublime Red. Such a perfect Mick/Beth moment. Once I read the final paragraph I let out this happy sigh.
Their rhythm had been broken, severed by separation, but now, in touch, intimacy, taste, sensation, they were re-connected. Mick moved over her, gently opening her to his body. She tightened her legs around him, guiding his cock into her as they joined, finally, flowing through each other, deeper, deeper. She held him, feeling the strain of his control, slipping. Drawing his face to hers, she nodded, his silver blink, their final commitment. As her blood flowed, they came together, free, joyous, unbound. So long apart, they were finally home.
This update left me emotional but content. You've given me Mick & Beth back together for now and I know there are things to come in the final chapters that will change things and I'm not sure if they will remain this way but for now I'm happy and I thank you for giving me that with this chapter.

I'll stop rambling incessantly now :snicker:

:heart:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Red,

This is wonderful in its contrasts - the joy of the two lovers re-united after so cruel a separation overshadowed by the despair of the one who brought them back together.....I fear reading what deal Josef has brokered...

Two passages in particular stood out
He didn't need to see her, he could feel her, and he let that feeling guide him home.

But this is exquisite:
Mick caressed her from jaw to throat, slow, careful; moving his palm over the curve of her breast, sweeping across her belly, coming to rest at her hip. Beth followed, smiling at the smooth feel of his jaw, over his collarbone, down, circling muscle and bone, her fingers trailing, drawing a gasp of pleasure. Hands joined, Mick drew her down to the bed, her weight pressing against him, her body calling to him as she moved. The new joy and old pleasure of re-discovery; remembering the sweet spot just inside her hip that made her gasp with pleasure at his kiss; stroking the tender skin inside his thigh and feeling him tremble; the gentle passion of his fingers moving inside her.
Each of them relies on touch to reclaim their unity, to reassure themselves that they are once again together.

Red, I'll follow you to the ends of the earth if need be, if for no other reason than this story :rose: .....truly a wonderful work
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

Wow, just WOW! I cried from beginning to end. Tears of joy for my Mick and Beth. Such a beautiful reunion, I could feel every emotion along with them. Also tears of trepidation. What is this going to cost all of them? I have a bad feeling that there will be no happily ever after, wether it be for Josef or for Mick/beth, or perhaps all 3. Just beautiful, perfection yet again. Now, if this isn't the chapter that was supposed to make us cry I cringe at what is in store that could top the last 10 as far as tears and pain go! Well done Red. Thank you so much for another steller chapter! :smooch:
Last edited by lorig on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

alle, I honestly never expected this to be NSFW. Sorry :blushing: And they are going to get more than a day. Not saying how long but more than a day. If that helps at all.

coco, :smooch: wow. Just. wow. What an amazing comment - thank you :rose: . I wanted Mick to be calm because he is capable of being a realist when needed. And I think he saw how much Josef needed that right at that moment. As for Josef/Beth - in so many ways it's the key relationship in this whole story. He realises her strength and value - not just to Mick, but to Josef himself too. And she finally realises why it is that Mick and Josef have been friends for so many years. Hope and joy are such powerful emotions - and after a year apart, I was desperate to get both across, even allowing for my foray into out and out sentimentality. I'll be honest, I have been looking forward to writing the reunion since I started this story so I'm very happy you enjoyed it.

And sweetie, if that's what you call rambling, then ramble away.... Thank you :heart:

dsr, :blushing: :blushing: such high praise. I'm flattered and touched. Thank you. It was one of the abiding sorrows (to me) that Mick and Beth stopped touching each other in the final four eps as I think touch was always such an important sense for them. When they couldn't put into words how they felt, which was frequently, they could rely on touch. In the situation I put them in, there were just so many words to be said, I wanted them to rely on touch to convey an emotion that was just too huge to verbalise. I love that you liked it.

lorig, thank you for following this story, even through fear of what is to come. I appreciate it more than you know.

Red

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Redwinter, you have outdone yourself! And I suspect you even know it, this one's so good.

I dunno what Josef is still hiding and I'm scared to death of it... but Bob bless him, he's allowed our hero and Beth this moment and d@mn, honey, you've made the most of it.

This reads like a scene from some major motion picture. Your writing is beyond belief. I could hardly breathe reading this... I KNOW Beth was hardly breathing... how could she be??

Romantic. Flat out romantic. WHAT a scene. And the Beth/Josef is setting up some kind of heartbreak... but that just increases the romanticism of what you've given us here. This is an amazing chapter. I'm gonna hafta read this SEVERAL times to truly take it all in and appreciate it fully... I'm telling ya... this sucker is fully loaded.

Brava.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Thanks so much, Grace. You are so, so sweet to me, continually, despite so many provocations to the contrary. This was the big romantic set-piece so I'm delighted it read that way and gave you a satisfactory end to their separation. Hell, after a year, and all I've put them through so far, they deserve it, right?

And,
wpgrace wrote:Romantic. Flat out romantic.
well, that's me. Soft to my very core.

Love you :rose:

Red

RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Something about this part just really hit me. So different and so beautiful.

This chapter was so wonderful, I almost hate to read any more.......but I just can't stay away, no matter where you take us.
banner by Cprav
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Ya know... on second read, Mick is a little scary at the beginning. He is so trusting of Josef, so acquiescent to Josef's supposed plan... I think he was just about on the brink of losing it there... and Josef knew it. Shoulda figured it from the fresh kill... so not-Mick... I missed that the first time around, cause I was so waiting for the shoe to drop... I truly wasn't expecting the big reunion in this chapter.

And Beth so knows something is still very very wrong... she just doesn't care right this minute... and ya know what? Neither do I! Not right this minute, anyway.

So more kudos, you talented thing. Whatever awaits in 11... this one chapter has been worth the whole fic.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
sabazzz
Kostan Industries intern

Post by sabazzz »

Wow that was soooo beautiful...the entire chapter was just so amazing, so soft, sweet...I loved this chapter...I am so happy they are back together.

Now what did Josef have to do to make this happen...I'm afraid to ask because it's not going to be pretty...till then we will savor mick and beth's return to each other.

wonderful chapter!
dreamcatcher
Mortal

Post by dreamcatcher »

This was such an amazing and bittersweet chapter; beautifully written, as usual!

I wanted to be so happy for them being back together but the (yet unknown) ultimate cost of their current happiness weighed too heavily over their reunion for me to completely enjoy it with them. Plus the darkness of Mick’s earlier hunting and killing episode, which had given him an ‘almost sexual’ pleasure, left a disturbing aftertaste even though he later seemed to feel ‘washed clean’ by the feel of Beth in his arms again. I loved that Beth realised there was a price to pay but wisely chose to live for the moment here!

And now I can’t what to find out what Josef has agreed to in order to buy their little piece of happiness and how Mick and Beth fill their first (and maybe last?!) few days together.

This is a wonderful story. I’m both longing for and dreading the next two chapters!!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

RangerCM, that's so lovely - thank you. I'm so happy you're willing to come along for the remainder of the ride. :rose:

Grace, I'm glad you found Mick scary - for all his calm in Josef's presence, he's all over the place. Until Beth comes back to him and his world is set back on its axis.

sabazzz, Beth is living in the moment too. She knows something's up, but, she's just enjoying what she's got and I'm delighted you felt the same about this chapter.

dreamcatcher, :wave: :wave: thanks so much. Bittersweet is an apt description. Ironically, Mick, who has probably suffered the most, is the only one here who truly feels at peace. But, he and Beth are making the most of their reunion, his horrors, new and old, now all in the past.

Red

Return to “Afterglow”