Salvation in Suffering - PG-13

A place for PNWgal's G to PG-13 stories
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Re: Salvation in Suffering - PG-13

Post by starbucksjunkie »

I always imagined what this scene would be like, and you've absolutely captured it perfectly, Pgal.

You brought to my attention what I've never given consideration to before: how Mick must walk the knife edge between concern and care for someone he shouldn't (Beth) and risking pissing off the vamp he can't afford to anger, even if Josef is his friend. He's playing with fire here, and he knows it. Bravo.

Now, about this:
He was going to see Beth again, despite the danger to both of them. He ignored the twinge of anticipation he felt and headed for a much-needed shower.
All together everyone: SEE-QUEL! SEE-QUEL! SEE-QUEL! SEE-QUEL! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

This is just so, sooo, good. There are so many phrases that just caught me whole.
His grip tightened on the neck of the bottle in his hand as he swept into the apartment, leading with his nose.
He never just 'enters' an apartment, does he? Really very descriptive. This was the line that made me certain I was going to enjoy this.

Some other favourites:
"Help now," Mick rasped. "Bitch later."
I could really see him saying this.
The thin thread of Josef's patience snapped with an almost audible twang.
Can't tell you how much I enjoyed this. Darn that's good.
You've got a jones for that reporter!
I've never heard that expression before, but it made me laugh. The language is so fresh!
The command in Josef's voice brought Mick's gaze to the elder's face. "You handle this or I will - and I guarantee you won't like my methods."
Now that, is seriously scary Josef.

Yeah, this was too good.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

francis, thank you...I'm happy you think I hit the mark with this. :ysmile:

Awww, geez, Ranger - you flatter me and I'm honored. :rose:

Thanks, coco - I have to admit my favorite ML parts are anything Mick/Josef. :snicker:

Thanks, karen - I'm glad you think I did good!

Misfit! :hug: Figured Josef's paranoia would war with his friendship with Mick and Mick's lucky he got away with just a warning. ;-) (and I owe you some much-deserved feedback over on IM)

Thanks for giving this a read, MLSonata. :ysmile:

LOL, thanks, lynnrxgal!

Karen, I always so look forward to your feedback because you pull the coolest stuff out of my work. Josef's willing to cut Mick a bit of slack, but not much before he'll handle things his way.

Thanks, Grace...I agree with you about the blanks. It drives me nuts to wonder about stuff like this and I do like a good "what if" fic. ;-)

GA, you know I couldn't have written this without you. :smooch: I'm glad you think I was spot on there with Josef...he always makes me very nervous when I write him - I never know if he's going to sic one of his minions...err, supporters after me. ;-)

LOL, mitzie, janicevictoria - thank you so much! :rose:

Thanks Alle...you're makin' me :blushing: just a bit.

Now how could I not write this when you stirred up the muses, Liana? ;-) I agree with you on Josef's progression when it came to Beth - but here, he'd still be VERY suspicious of her.

Great analogy, SBJ - I think you're right. Mick definitely walks a very fine line between Beth and Josef, because I believe without question Josef would "take care" of Beth should she expose vampires. (LOL, don't stir up the plot bunnies again! ;-) )

Luxe...thank you. You picked out more than a few of my favorite bits of the story as well. :biggrin: Josef is just such a complex character, it's a joy to write him.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

YAY!! You continued the one-shot! :cheering:

I LOVE the way you write Josef...just love, love, love. :rose:

Poor Mick...I don't have any quotes to pull, because if I pulled my favorite quotes, I'd wind up quoting the entire thing. I so enjoy your writing, Jen. :rose:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

What a wonderful supplement to "Out of the past" !!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thank you PNWgal

:rose:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I read this again after it came up in active topics. Yep, still brilliant. :cheer:
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Hey Jen--saw this in the active topics thread and decided to meander on over for a re-read.

It's just as good as I remember it. This is Josef and Mick. You write them both so perfectly in character--it's like watching the show. :notworthy:

Lovely, lovely one-shot. :rose:

:hug:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
seamus3333
Freelance freshie

Post by seamus3333 »

It's unbelievable how you are able to bring Mick and Josef to life with two or three sentences. A year and a half disappears and I'm watching an episode of Moonlight, a better written one than usual. Thanks to whoever brought it up on active topics, I missed it first time around.
susieb
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by susieb »

This is perfection. I now have a new jones myself: reading your fabulous work. I began with Half the World is Dark, then Suffer Not Silently. You've brought ML to life for me once again. BRAVO!
Susie

Sometimes the past doesn't catch up with you, it haunts you.
lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

Lovely re-read. It's still magical, isn't it, Pgal?
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Thanks, susie, for giving this a read - and lynnrxgal, thanks for the reread. :ghug:

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

moonlightlover60
Fledgling

Post by moonlightlover60 »

Wow this was fabulous :yahoo: and so spot on with Mick and especially Josef's characterizations. I just love the a look at behind the scenes or what we never got to see, thanks for filling in the blanks for us. :clapping:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

MLlover60, thank you! Mick had to get that silver out somehow and Josef would be the logical choice - and I doubt Mr. Kostan would be happy to hear that vampires had been revealed to a reporter. :laugh:

AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Thanks PNW! :smooch:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

You are MOST welcome, Jo!

Return to “PNWgal's Office”