What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 16] PG13

NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 16] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Well, here's Chapter 16 for the new and improved board! And guess what, Chapter 17 will be posted tomorrow since this board is "behind" (I posted 16 on the other boards on Tuesday)...

Author’s note: Some dialogue is borrowed/paraphrased directly from episodes.

Beta: As usual, much thanks goes to the ever-awesome Barb, Bank1115—she’s fantastic.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

What Are You, Mick St. John?—Chapter 16

“I can’t let you make that call, Josh.”

“What do you mean?!” He stared at him, then at the gun pointed at him held by Carl’s steady hand. “Carl! You’re not going to kill me, are you?” He laughed incredulously.

“If I have to,” Carl nodded, though now the gun shook slightly as he said it.

“But—but why?!”

“We didn’t know it at the time, but we were walking a dangerous line with this investigation, Josh. I was hoping it wouldn’t come to this—I was hoping we could come up with an explanation for everything that would satisfy you—or that you could be calm and rational about this—but you obviously can’t…”

“Carl, what are you talking about?! I don’t understand—how can you be on his—on their—side?! They’re vampires—we’re friends.”

Carl nodded slowly. “And friends don’t let friends do something mind-blowingly stupid—like threaten to expose the secret existence of vampires.” He stared at Josh pointedly.

“Stupid?!”

“Yes—they’ll kill you—slowly, I might add—and justifiably so. It’s self-defence to them.”

“How can you defend them?”

“They’re just like any other minority—misunderstood, just trying to integrate and get along. And one saved my life.”

“Don’t tell me—Mick St. John,” Josh sneered.

“Fine, I won’t—the guy we’ve been investigating saved my life, despite the fact that we’ve been investigating him and he could have just let me die and solved most of his problems.”

“How?! When?!”

Carl elaborated reluctantly. “Last night. Well…granted, he saved me from another vampire, but it was a rogue. They don’t all kill indiscriminately…they don’t need to.”

Josh just stared at him, slack-jawed. “Carl! They’ve brain-washed you!”

“No, they haven’t.”

“They’ve threatened you!”

Carl thought a moment. “Well, technically, yes; if they didn’t trust me, I’d be dead. But in all fairness, I’d do the same if I were in their position. Like I’m doing now. Josh, if you expose them, you’ll be promoting genocide and cause a world war like has never been seen before. Can’t you see? We can all just live in harmony—ignorance is bliss for the majority of the human race. You’d be destroying that—in the interests of the community we both swore to serve and protect, I have to stop you.”

Josh’s eyes narrowed.

“I bet it was a setup. They meant for that vampire to attack you all along, and for Mick to save you so you’d ally yourself with them.”

Carl started, then shook his head. “No—I don’t believe that. I’m sure you heard about the latest homicides I’ve been investigating—the convenience store clerk, and the other guy? The rogue was responsible for those. The vampires wouldn’t risk exposure to stop an investigation that could lead to exposure. They’re too careful—or they try to be.”

“Don’t you understand, Carl?! They brainwashed you! And they brainwashed Beth, too, didn’t they? MY Beth,” Josh seethed.

“Somehow I doubt she’ll be your Beth much longer,” Carl muttered under his breath. He took out his phone, keeping the gun trained on Josh, and called the private number Josef had given him.

After three rings, a voice snapped, “This had better be good, it’s middle of the day—which means you just interrupted my beauty sleep, and that makes me liable to bite your head off. —Figuratively speaking, of course.”

“Uh, sorry…sir…” Carl stammered nervously. “It’s Carl Davis. I—we—have a problem. It—”

“—Does ‘it’ have fangs?”

“No…but it knows you do. It’s Josh Lindsey—I didn’t tell him! He figured it out on his own. He…he found some books on vampires in Lee Jay’s stuff and put it all together. He’s threatening to call the government.”

Josef was silent for a moment. Then, “Where are you?”

“At the warehouse where the thing with Lee Jay went down.”

What’s Lindsey’s status?”

Carl narrowed his eyes. “He’s not going anywhere; if he tries, I’ll shoot him.”

Josh glared at Carl.

Good.” Josef sounded pleased. “All right, sit tight—on him, if necessary—we’ll be there shortly.”

Carl flipped his phone shut with one hand and replaced it in his pocket.

“Traitor!” Josh spat.

Carl examined Josh coolly. He shook his head. “I don’t like this, Josh—I really don’t. But I have no choice.”

“Of course you have a choice! Let me go.”

“You won’t see reason.”

“Which of the brainwashers did you call, anyway? Not-so-Saint John?” Josh sneered.

“Nope. Josef Kostan. He’s one of the elders of the LA community.”

“So, what—he’s going to come and kill me now?”

“I don’t know,” Carl said quietly. “Maybe not, if he could be assured you’d keep their secret—if it’s not too late for that. You’ve already made threats.” He shuddered.

Josh looked past his shoulder and startled. “How did he get here so fast?!”

Carl whirled around, expecting to see Josef. But there was no one there. He started to turn back to Josh, but was met with a fist to his jaw. He stumbled backwards, holding his face with the hand that held the gun.

Josh lunged and knocked him to the ground. Carl had more training in hand-to-hand combat, but Josh was desperate and, to Carl’s chagrin, had the element of surprise. He took a few hits before he was able to properly strike back. He struggled to retain his grip as Josh tried to grab the gun and wrestle it away from him.

And that’s when it went off.

Josh fell back, clutching at his left shoulder. “Carl…how could you?” he said weakly.

Carl stared at his friend, then down at the gun in his hand in horror. How had it come to this?

“Josh, I’m sor—” he began, but was cut off by a sudden uppercut to the jaw.

The hit temporarily loosened his hold on the gun and Josh was able to get it away from him. Josh scrambled back several feet, training the gun on Carl. The wound in his shoulder was only bleeding a little—it seemed as though the bullet had just grazed him. “I’m not sorry now, Carl.” He moved his finger to the trigger.

Carl closed his eyes, waiting for the shot. I only hope Kostan does get here soon, and likes me enough to avenge my death. At least I can be assured Josh won’t live long for this.

But the shot didn’t come.

Carl opened his eyes to see a raven-haired vision in a black leather full bodysuit holding Joshua Lindsey up by the scruff of his neck. She easily twisted the gun from his hand and threw it across the room, glaring ferociously at him. Josh looked as though he were about to wet his pants.

Now that’s what I’m talking about! Carl let out a breath of relief and gazed at the Cleaner in adoration. “Where did you come from?!”

The Cleaner answered without taking her eyes off her prisoner. “My place—I live nearby. Kostan put in an emergency call in for a Cleaner to meet him here. I got here just in time, I see.”

“Yeah, I was the one who called Kostan. I didn’t know he’d be calling you, too.” Carl flashed her a wide grin. “But I’m glad he did, because now you’re my knight in shining black leather.”

The Cleaner turned and cocked her eyebrow at him. “Guess that makes you the damsel in distress? I think you’re a little overdressed in that suit.”

Carl trailed his finger up and down his lapel. “Well, if you want, I can—”

“Good grief, Carl!” Josh spat. “Now you’re flirting with one of—” Suddenly, five elongated fingernails closed in around his throat, effectively cutting off any further comment.

“Ugh,” the Cleaner sighed, momentarily examining the nails on her free hand, “I had to get up in the middle of the afternoon after I worked a full shift last night and come out in broad daylight for the likes of him? Who is this guy, anyway?”

“ADA Josh Lindsey. We were running the…investigation…together.”

The Cleaner looked at him sharply. “Investigation? Josef didn’t have much time to brief me.”

Carl cringed. “There were some…inconsistencies with the Lee Jay Spalding case. We had to check them out. This was before we knew vampires existed, obviously. But last night things changed for me…”

The Cleaner eyed him up and down. “Yes—I remember you from the Sacred Angels scene,” she said with a slight smirk in her voice. “Kostan says you’re OK now. So, Copper—do you have any handcuffs on you?”

Carl’s eyes opened wide. “—What?!” he squeaked.

“To restrain the attorney?” The Cleaner clarified with a quirked eyebrow.

“Oh…right…yeah, of course,” Carl blushed a little as reached into his pocket and pulled out the napkin full of bacon he’d taken as his lunch to go. “Oh…uh…that’s not them,” he said, his cheeks turning redder as he hastily shoved his lunch-to-go back into his jacket. He reached behind him—as he’d originally intended to do before he was distracted—and started feeling around in his waistband. “I could have sworn I had them…”

“You know, you’re kinda cute when you blush,” she grinned. “—For a human, that is.”

Josh rolled his eyes in disgust. The Cleaner threw him down onto the couch and folded her arms, standing guard over him.

Carl leaned back against the nearby table, his eyes on the beautiful vampiress. “You know, I’ve always had a thing for older women—”

The Cleaner cut him off with a swift glare. “Okay…you just ruined it.” She whirled and stalked several paces away from him.

Damn.” Carl cursed himself with a smack to the forehead. “One of the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen, and who could kill me with her pinkie fingernail, is flirting with me, and I have to go and stick my foot in my mouth!” he moaned under his breath.

The Cleaner turned around suddenly on her heel. “Vampires have sensitive hearing, you know…”

Crap!” Carl reddened again. “Yeah, I forgot about that…”

“It’s okay, it may have redeemed you…just a little.” The Cleaner pinched her thumb and index finger together to indicate just how much.

“Oh, really?” He took a few steps closer to her.

“Really.” She took a few steps in his direction.

“Disgusting freak show,” Josh spat from the couch.

“Get up, human,” the Cleaner snarled as she turned and strode over to him. “I want you to say that to my face.”

Carl sucked in his breath as he saw her eyes turn ice white. Then things happened in slow motion.

The Cleaner glanced sharply over at him.

Josh lurched to his feet, his lip curled in contempt.

Carl noticed Josh holding his arm awkwardly behind his back.

Carl’s mouth started to open to warn the Cleaner.

Carl saw her face change as she recognized the horror in his eyes.

The Cleaner spun back to face Josh just as he was swinging his arm around.

To be continued...
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 16] PG13

Post by redwinter101 »

Well, Carl really is in for a penny, in for a pound, isn't he? Wise man, methinks. Even if he is still trying to score with the cleaner :snicker: .

And as for Josh, well he needs to wake up and smell the damn coffee - or he might find himself in serious trouble.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Another cliffie!!! Josh seems to think he's a real goody-goody and thinks Carl is brainwashed and that Beth is too??!! Is he seriously demented or what??!!! :whistle: I love this story and can't wait for more... :heart: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :slappy: :swords: :angel: :dracula: :seesaw: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :dizzy: :bat: :gasp: :eyes: :devil: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :chair:

mitzie
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thanks so much, Red & Mitz!

Yup, I think Josh has been made a little demented by jealousy...he's sure not the reasonable man Carl is being...which spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E!
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Loving Carl so much and his interaction with the Cleaner was :rofl2:

Josh is gonna get himself in trouble the way he's carrying on :whistle:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Tee hee, thanks, Coco! Glad you enjoyed Carl & the Cleaner--I had fun writing them. And yes, Josh is so in for it...
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

I loved this chapter! Carl really gets it. He sees the big picture, that a lot of humans would be killed as well if there was a war between humans and vamps. To keep everyone safe the secret must be protected. And as a member of a persecuted minority himself, he can identify with them in some ways. Vampires aren't the only ones who faced torch bearing mobs. Great! Loved his flirting with the cleaner, too. Of course we know Carl is very adventurous that way! (he was part of a threesome once, and I can definitely see him wanting to try on a hot vamp chick or two as well). ;)
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thanks so much, Catmoon! Glad you liked. ;)

Yup, Carl gets it--Josh, not so much...

Yeah, I figured after Carl's threesome comment, a woman in black leather wouldn't be so strange (although, it is possible Carl wasn't speaking of personal experience--I'm sure he's seen some crazy things as a cop). :snicker:
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

NocturneInCMoll wrote:Yeah, I figured after Carl's threesome comment, a woman in black leather wouldn't be so strange (although, it is possible Carl wasn't speaking of personal experience--I'm sure he's seen some crazy things as a cop). :snicker:
I prefer to think Carl was speaking from personal experience... but to each his own. ;) :snicker: :whistle:
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

At this point I don't expect Josh to survive this ordeal. He's acting all dumb and unreasonable. Carl flirting with the Cleaner was priceless :rolling: and he still has bacon in his pockets. What's he trying to do - attract a werewolf?
Now what's with those cliffhangers?
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Tee hee, thanks, Francis--glad you like Carl flirting with the Cleaner with bacon in his pockets. :snicker: He probably shouldn't have taken lunch-to-go...

Cliffhangers? What cliffhangers? ;)

Return to “What Are You, Mick St. John?”