What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 12] PG13

NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 12] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Author’s note: Some dialogue is borrowed directly or paraphrased from the episode.

Beta: As usual, much thanks goes to the ever-awesome Barb, Bank1115—she’s fantastic.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

What Are You, Mick St. John?—Chapter 12

Okay…so I’m about to meet one of the oldest vampires in LA…best not to think about it. Carl cleared his throat. “So…you guys were tracking the guy…er, vampire…that killed those two guys…and…almost me?”

“Yeah…” Mick said uncertainly, as if unsure of how much to reveal. “Not too many vampire victims come through the morgue. My, uh, ‘friend’ who works at the morgue called me about the convenience store clerk. The vamp that did it was obviously feral and had to be stopped. I started tracking him then. I managed to find his sire—it was an accident, he hadn’t realized he’d turned him—and got some more information about the rogue, but I needed Beth’s police contacts to help me find him…so she came along for the ride.”

“You don’t have your own contacts in the department?” Carl asked, surprised. “You’re a PI!”

“It takes time to develop a contact—years. People age; I don’t. Cops especially tend to notice that kind of thing.”

“You really don’t age?!” Carl said incredulously.

“Really don’t,” Mick replied, keeping his eyes on the road.

“So how old are you really?” Beth asked him.

“It’s not polite to ask people their age.”

“That’s just women!” Beth scoffed.

Oh, geez, are they flirting again? Carl groaned inwardly. Josh really is not—oh, crap, Josh!!! What am I gonna tell him?!

A whoop from Beth in the front seat drew his attention again. “Immortality looks pretty good to me!”

“Not from where I’m sitting,” Mick said.

“Wait—what’d I miss?” Carl broke in.

“He’s almost eighty-five!” Beth squealed pointing to Mick.

Eighty-five?!” Carl’s eyes bugged out of his head. “So, wait—it wasn’t your father that got Lee Jay thrown in prison, was it!” he exclaimed. “—It was you! That’s why you and he had such a beef with each other!”

Mick nodded. “Lee Jay knew what I was. I almost killed him, back then. His wife Ilene had hired me to protect her, and I failed her. I knew he wouldn’t stop killing, either. I had to stop him—permanently. And before he died, he was going to know fear.” Mick grimaced. “But before I could finish the job, I was interrupted. Soon after that, Lee Jay was put in prison. Unfortunately, it gave him time to plan his revenge for when he got out—he knew what I was.”

Carl nodded and blew his breath out slowly. Noticing Mick’s pained expression, he refrained from asking any more questions on that subject. He didn’t want to anger the man who had just saved his life—and who could just as easily turn around and take it. He wondered about what was going to happen when he met with ‘the elder’ and shuddered, quickly suppressing that thought.

“Wait, so who’s your guy at the morgue?” He started mentally running through the faces of the people he knew there, but couldn’t come up with a single one that he could imagine being a vampire. And then he remembered that Mick appeared perfectly normal as well. Until… He shuddered inwardly at the memory of that.

“Can’t tell, can you?” Mick smirked at him in the rearview. “Scary!”

“It is a little disconcerting,” Carl agreed. “So…you’re not going to tell me?”

Mick met his eyes in the rearview mirror and shook his head. “Not at this point.”

“Fair enough…I guess…but he’s your blood supply?”

“One of them. I don’t drink fresh…anymore.”

Mick had said the last word very quietly and didn’t elaborate; Carl sensed that he had once again hit upon a subject that Mick wasn’t inclined to talk about. I guess vampires aren’t used to explaining themselves…especially to cops.

“Will you tell me the story of the vampire that almost ate me?”

Mick sighed. “A vampire—who shall also remain nameless—was walking across the street when a car ran him down and didn’t stop. Pollock—the rogue—saw him lying in the road and stopped to help. He is—was—a doctor.”

“‘Everything’s going to be okay. I’m a doctor,’” Carl murmured. “That’s what he said to me right before…”

“Yeah…I imagine that’s what he said to the injured vamp, too, before the vamp turned around and drained him.”

“The vampire attacked the Good Samaritan?”

“You have to understand, a vampire’s survival instincts are very strong. When we’re badly injured, we need blood to heal. Pollock, unfortunately, stopped to help, not knowing what kind of assistance was needed…”

“Ah,” Carl said. “So the vampire drank his blood and somehow turned him into a vampire, too…” He shook his head. “Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I just said that...any of this…”

“Yeah. The sire thought he’d drained Pollock and left him for dead. He called the Cleaners—”

“—Are those the lovely ladies in black?”

Mick smiled slightly. “Yeah—they clean up accidents and anything else that might lead to exposure if found by humans. But when the Cleaners arrived, there was no body. The sire had accidentally gotten some of his blood into Pollock’s bloodstream, thus turning him.”

“Wow,” Carl breathed.

“The sire was careless. He should have checked more carefully that Pollock was for sure dead. He will be dealt with. We have very strict rules to prevent exactly this kind of thing from happening. Pollock woke up and didn’t know what had happened to him or what he was. He was craving something and didn’t know what. Without his sire to guide him, to assist him through the transition and the initial bloodlust, he lost it.”

Carl whistled. “Poor bastard. Guess I can’t say I blame him…but…wait, three people?” He started counting the bodies off on his fingers. “…The convenience store clerk, the business man…” A terrible thought struck him cold and settled deep in his stomach. “—Wait a minute…I didn’t die, did I? I’m not becoming a—”

Mick broke into a grin. “No…you’re not a vampire, Carl.” Then he immediately sobered. “Pollock found his way home.”

“He…killed someone in his family?”

Mick looked away briefly before saying, “His wife.”

“Oh, man. Oh, man,” Carl wrung his hands.

“The hunger was too much.”

“We went to look for him at his house,” Beth explained further. “We found her there.”

“I called the Cleaners to look after her. We don’t need any more suspicious bodies going through the morgue. They’ll make it look good.”

Carl nodded mutely.

“I’m sorry, Carl, I know this is a lot to deal with.”

“You can say that again.” Carl shook his head.

“And now I’m sorry I have to force some more on you,” Mick said, turning the wheel. He threw a quick glance back at Carl. "We're here."

Carl hadn't noticed them turning up a long, winding drive leading to a large, well-lit mansion. He swallowed nervously. Holy crap…I’m about to meet Dracula. I’m about to meet DRACULA!

Mick parked and went around to open Beth and Carl’s doors. “Follow me.” He strode quickly up the walk. Carl and Beth started after him, but very slowly.

“Don’t worry,” Beth put a reassuring hand on his arm. “They just want to make sure you’re not a threat.”

Carl raised his eyebrows.

“Hey, I survived,” Beth grinned.

“Oh, that’s very reassuring,” Carl snorted. “You never die! You’re always around, no matter how many stupid stunts you pull!”

Beth glowered at him, tossed her hair over her shoulder and started walking faster.

Carl grabbed her arm and held her back. “Beth…help me!” he said in a lowered voice. “I don’t want to be a threat—but what happens if they think I’m one anyway? What if they don’t forgive me for investigating Mick? I didn’t know what I was doing!”

Mick had paused by a side door up ahead. He turned back to stare at Carl, who swallowed.

“Of course you didn’t know what you were doing—but that doesn’t mean it’s not a problem. I can’t make any promises—but just be honest. That’s the only advice I can give you.”

Carl’s eyes widened. “You—”

“—Can hear more than just heartbeats really well,” Mick explained shortly. “—Ready?”

When Carl nodded—however reluctantly—Mick punched some buttons on the pad next to the door and it opened. He led them up a couple flights of stairs and down a long hallway, finally stopping in front of a set of thick double doors, which opened into an immaculate, ornately decorated study with a hand-painted ceiling reminiscent of the Sistine Chapel. Carl’s stomach had finished thoroughly tying itself into knots and now his intestines seemed destined to follow suit. Stay calm…they can smell fear. Just stay calm.

Carl looked surreptitiously around the room, but behind a big mahogany desk, a high-backed leather chair faced the picture window overlooking LA.

“You know,” a youthful, masculine voice said from the chair, “one of the hallmarks of true friendship is never needing to knock.”

“It kinda helps that we can smell each other coming,” Mick rejoined dryly.

“True,” the chair spun around. In it sat Josef Kostan, steepling his fingers with a catlike grin.

Kostan! Oh, of course… Carl closed his eyes and suppressed a groan. It all makes so much sense now! Geez, no wonder he didn’t like being called a punk—I’m lucky he didn’t eat me on the spot!

“Well, well, what do you have here, Mick? Collecting free-range humans now? I like your affirmative action policy. Women, men…white, black…” his dark eyes narrowed, “…reporters…cops…”

“Hello, Josef.” Beth nodded stiffly.

“Ah, Miss Turner. Lovely to see you again. Can I offer you a beverage? —White?…or red?”

Beth shook her head.

“I’ll tell you a secret: if you’re planning on conveniently tripping and spilling all over someone’s shirt, either would do. He’ll still have to change his shirt.”

Carl and Mick glanced confusedly between the two of them as Beth glared at him.

“Just a little inside joke we have,” Josef elucidated for the benefit of the rest of the room.

“You mean you have,” Beth snapped. “I had no part in its creation. It’s all in your head!”

Josef shrugged and finally turned, slightly, to acknowledge Carl. “Pardon me, Lieutenant. I’ve been neglecting you. It’s a pleasure to see you again…tell me, did you ever track down the conspiracy you were seeking?”

“You could say that,” Carl replied nervously. “My methods could have used some revision, though; one of your…conspirators…tried to eat me.”

Josef chuckled. “Yes, well, try not to judge the rest of us by him.” He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his desk, and his eyes darkened.

“Now…we need to talk about your newfound ‘discovery.’”

To be continued…
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Re: What Are You, Mick St. John? [ch. 12] PG13

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Okay, I can't get enough of this stuff! Just when i get sucked in, BAM, cliffhanger! Oh, Noc, you nefarious, wonderful writer, you.... :reading:
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Great chapter! I feel really bad for Carl. His head must be spinning by now!! :dizzy: I just hope he says the "right" things to Josef truthfully!!! :worship: I hope he is willing to keep the secret. If he lives this will mean huge problems between Carl and Josh. :slappy:

I love this story and need more... :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :devil: :seesaw: :stir: :yahoo: :bat: :yahoo: :thud: :thud: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Hope you're feeling better. :rose:

mitzie
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thanks so much, Woll & Mitz! :)

Glad you enjoyed this chapter. It's not that bad of a cliffhanger...is it? I think Carl's amenable to keeping the secret, don't you? I guess the thing is, will Josef go for it?

I'm still working on Ch. 13, but 14 is done, haha. I guess I'd better get back to 13 so I can send it to my beta, eh?

I am feeling better, thank you--not quite 100%, but much better. But I just got a new full-time job, so lets hope I still have the time/energy to write! ;)
ash
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Trying juggle, homework, uni, a social life, rp and writing things that get stuck in my head. Tough

Post by ash »

dun, dun ,dun LOL go easy on him Josef
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Well, now you tell me, Ash! I just finished and sent Ch. 13 off to my beta...poor Carl. Josef was very, very hard on him...
maybe.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

So very clever to introduce Carl into the "immortality looks good" conversation. And the Josef snark is pitch perfect.

*eagerly awaiting ch. 13*

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Tee hee, thanks so much, Red! Glad you liked. ;)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Fabulous stuff once again :clapping:
Carl has really been thrown in at the deep end. He's sticking with them so far :biggrin:
Love the Josef/Beth banter :yes:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Poor Carl has had a rough day...almost getting eaten, then to find out that there are truly vampires among us!!! On top of it all, he has to convince Josef that he can keep their secret ....can't wait to see him do that or to explain 'things' to Josh!!!

Great Update!!
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

“Well, well, what do you have here, Mick? Collecting free-range humans now? I like your affirmative action policy. Women, men…white, black…” his dark eyes narrowed, “…reporters…cops…”
:lol: :lol:

I so enjoy the way you so seamlessly weave "actual" events and dialogue in with your original ideas. Very nice. :hearts:
banner by Cprav
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thanks so much, Coco, Karen, and Ranger! Glad you liked.

Carl's hearing with Josef is with my beta, so I should hopefully have it up this weekend!

Ranger, thanks for picking out that line--I was quite proud of that one. :)
kpyle
Freelance freshie

Post by kpyle »

Glad to see an update! Again, great stuff! I am anxious to see how this all turns out for Carl and how he will deal with Josh if it all goes well for him! Will keep checking back for more updates!! Kelly
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thanks so much, Kelly! Next update should hopefully be up this weekend. Josh will appear in the chapter after that...
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I love how you are working dialogue from the show into your alternate version. And I love how Carl is now in on the secret... he gonna be Mick's next Bobby now?? Carl was underused on the show... good to see him get some air time.

And Carl is taking it well... nervous but brave!

And gotta love the MickJosef... always love their patter together...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)

Return to “What Are You, Mick St. John?”