Mary Bryant--The Beginning

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Re: Mary Bryant--The Beginning

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Kelly~~I think it helped by everyone preparing me in advance. I am ashamed to admit, that I cried worse at Marley and Me---and I read the book before and didn't like it. But that movie brought out the nasty, ugly crying.

This was very, very sad--but redemptive in a way.
Spoiler:
They tried so hard, and were screwed from the beginning. I was just waiting the entire time for the other shoe to drop
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

red said it best.

No matter how much you liked Alex's portrayal of Mick, Will Bryant is a tour de force. He blew me away. Just astounded me with his acting chops in this. It is hopeful, and the strong point of the movie is that Mary Bryant was one tough cookie. That woman was unreal.

And red, thanks again for those lovely will pix

still loving you for that.
Kelly
Rogue vampire
Location: Lost in a daydream...I think Alex is in here somewhere too.

Post by Kelly »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Kelly~~I think it helped by everyone preparing me in advance. I am ashamed to admit, that I cried worse at Marley and Me---and I read the book before and didn't like it. But that movie brought out the nasty, ugly crying.

This was very, very sad--but redemptive in a way.
Spoiler:
They tried so hard, and were screwed from the beginning. I was just waiting the entire time for the other shoe to drop
Thing is, I was warned beforehand too...and I already knew the outcome, as well. Didn't help, though. :snicker:
Thanks SirenSong for the gorgeous MickCora tag

"Life is measured not by the number of breaths you take,
but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Lisa, you are very welcome :).

And I did the ugly cry. Every time.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I just finally convinced pgal to give it a go!

kelly--everyone has different reactions, and different things that affect them. It also depends on where you are at when you are watching it, in your life, I mean. If I were really bummed out or upset, I wouldn't watch this movie then, or I would be a complete mess!
Kelly
Rogue vampire

Post by Kelly »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:I just finally convinced pgal to give it a go!

kelly--everyone has different reactions, and different things that affect them. It also depends on where you are at when you are watching it, in your life, I mean. If I were really bummed out or upset, I wouldn't watch this movie then, or I would be a complete mess!
hehe...at the time, I was majorly stressed out, because I was preparing for my SAT...that could have had something to do with it. :snicker:

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fabulous discussion of a fabulous movie ladies!!!

Redwinter... your photo montage of Will's last scene in the movie is beyond belief good... his performance in that scene was also... the emotions (not just looks, but emotions) that crossed his face... we could see and feel every single one of them and I have never seen an actor accomplish quite that feat before. Yet the movie moves quickly on from there... it's just all in a day's work for Alex I guess....

It does make one cry every time, but I think the strength of that performance is part of what you cry for... like when an opera singer hits a great note.... it just pulls on your emotions to see that kind of performance.

I actually get even more upset on the trip back...
Spoiler:
when the kids die.
So I happily watch the movie when I get a chance, but I DO skip the very final part.... I can handle Alex's tour de force performance but the thought of the other just kills me.

But I would recommend this one to anyone.... it's a good story and told well....with many fine performances... and the tears are only in a few spots...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Kelly
Rogue vampire

Post by Kelly »

wpgrace wrote:Fabulous discussion of a fabulous movie ladies!!!

Redwinter... your photo montage of Will's last scene in the movie is beyond belief good... his performance in that scene was also... the emotions (not just looks, but emotions) that crossed his face... we could see and feel every single one of them and I have never seen an actor accomplish quite that feat before. Yet the movie moves quickly on from there... it's just all in a day's work for Alex I guess....

It does make one cry every time, but I think the strength of that performance is part of what you cry for... like when an opera singer hits a great note.... it just pulls on your emotions to see that kind of performance.

I actually get even more upset on the trip back...
Spoiler:
when the kids die.
So I happily watch the movie when I get a chance, but I DO skip the very final part.... I can handle Alex's tour de force performance but the thought of the other just kills me.

But I would recommend this one to anyone.... it's a good story and told well....with many fine performances... and the tears are only in a few spots...
It was the same for me, Grace...I made it through Will's last scene without tearing up too much. But the part on the ship was what made me lose it. :hankie:

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

That was my experience also. I teared up with Will on the beach. And I thought, well, that wasn't so bad, what is everyone talking about? Should I have been more upset? Then, later events occured, and that's what ruined me. That, and the montage at the end.

I still am amazed at the depth of his talent. Oyster Farmer and The Invisible had nothing on this performance.
Breathtaking---and for such a virtually unknown talent to snag a huge role, amazing.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

redwinter101 wrote:
wpgrace wrote:Red, was there a particular accent he was supposed to be hitting? She was supposed to be from Cornwall, right? But was his character from a specific place?
I don't think they ever gave his character a specific location - but for most of the time his accent was West Country. But then we did get bits of East Anglia, a hint of Cockney and even some Yorkshire from time to time!!!
'Scuse me please for coming in so late, but to us ignorant Aussies, he just sounded English. :snicker:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Phoenix wrote:
redwinter101 wrote:
wpgrace wrote:Red, was there a particular accent he was supposed to be hitting? She was supposed to be from Cornwall, right? But was his character from a specific place?
I don't think they ever gave his character a specific location - but for most of the time his accent was West Country. But then we did get bits of East Anglia, a hint of Cockney and even some Yorkshire from time to time!!!
'Scuse me please for coming in so late, but to us ignorant Aussies, he just sounded English. :snicker:
I'm sure it's only noticeable if it's your own accent. For example, I would struggle to differentiate between different Aussie accents - but I'm sure you'd notice if a character who was supposed to be from Darwin sounded like they came from Tasmania.

Bad accents can be distracting - overall Alex did a really good job though. Just the occasional wander....

Red

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

redwinter101 wrote:I'm sure it's only noticeable if it's your own accent. For example, I would struggle to differentiate between different Aussie accents - but I'm sure you'd notice if a character who was supposed to be from Darwin sounded like they came from Tasmania.

Bad accents can be distracting - overall Alex did a really good job though. Just the occasional wander....

Red
:offtopic: Have you, by chance, ever spoken to Gallah? (She generally goes to all the ML gatherings so a lot of people have met her.) She has a loud voice but a soft accent, whereas I speak softly, with a pretty thick accent. To Americans, (on the phone), apparently we sound almost identical, but we sound completely different to each other. :pinklol:

And most Aussies can differentiate between a Cockney accent and northern England, (Coronation Street area?), but that's about it. :rofl2: Some here can't tell the difference between English and Scottish accents, even though they are about as similar as Aussie and Kiwi, (New Zealand), accents.
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
redwinter101 wrote:
I'm sure it's only noticeable if it's your own accent. For example, I would struggle to differentiate between different Aussie accents - but I'm sure you'd notice if a character who was supposed to be from Darwin sounded like they came from Tasmania.

Red

Hmmm... ok... there are DIFFERENT Aussie accents? I am fascinated to hear this... they all sound kinda the same... they all sound cool; Americans love Aussie accents, but I gotta admit I don't hear any different ones. :blushing:

I do hear differences in English accents but wouldn't have a clue where the speaker is from or if the pronunications indicate a particular education... I noticed I could never understand a single word poor Princess Diana or her ex spouse ever said....

I thought Alex, in MB, sounded English but different from the English accents I usually hear... but didn't know if that was because he was doing some particular accent, or if it was an English accent being spoken by an Aussie.... like my French accent is clearly an American, French accent. Clearly.

Oh, and btw, check out the avatar Lilly made, and showed me how to put on.... Lilly oughta get a day off or something for combat pay...

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Phoenix wrote:
redwinter101 wrote:I'm sure it's only noticeable if it's your own accent. For example, I would struggle to differentiate between different Aussie accents - but I'm sure you'd notice if a character who was supposed to be from Darwin sounded like they came from Tasmania.

Red
:offtopic: Have you, by chance, ever spoken to Gallah? (She generally goes to all the ML gatherings so a lot of people have met her.) She has a loud voice but a soft accent, whereas I speak softly, with a pretty thick accent. To Americans, (on the phone), apparently we sound almost identical, but we sound completely different to each other. :pinklol:

And most Aussies can differentiate between a Cockney accent and northern England, (Coronation Street area?), but that's about it. :rofl2: Some here can't tell the difference between English and Scottish accents, even though they are about as similar as Aussie and Kiwi, (New Zealand), accents.
Ha!!! Now I CAN tell the difference between Aussie and New Zealand!!!! I had a professor from New Zealand in graduate school.... loved her accent too, but definitely NOT Aussie!!!!

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

wpgrace wrote:I do hear differences in English accents but wouldn't have a clue where the speaker is from or if the pronunications indicate a particular education... I noticed I could never understand a single word poor Princess Diana or her ex spouse ever said....

I thought Alex, in MB, sounded English but different from the English accents I usually hear... but didn't know if that was because he was doing some particular accent, or if it was an English accent being spoken by an Aussie.... like my French accent is clearly an American, French accent. Clearly.
Re Princess Di and Charles - that's more to do with dodgy diction IMO. And a restricted gene pool. Just sayin'.

As for Alex, there was no trace of Aussie, and the West Country accent was mostly pretty good. It's a rural accent, quite hard to do without going over the top.

Red

Return to “Past Projects”