Delicate Flower. PG13

A place for Cat Moon's G to PG-13 stories
Raven
Fledgling

Re: Delicate Flower. PG13

Post by Raven »

Cat...you've written these little points in time that just radiate the early Mick/Beth magic so beautifully. This is one of them. Two beings that are connected on so many levels, concentrating on their friendship and ignoring the untapped passion that simmers...sometimes releasing ripples of attraction...subtle warnings that things are not as platonic as they seem. Love how you highlight Beth's penchant for ignoring niceties and continuing conversations as if time hasn't passed...and Mick's amused, usually silent acknowledgement of it...
She launched into her message right away, didn’t even bother to say her name first, as if he would know immediately who it was and what she was talking about. Of course he did. The shorthand they shared was damned scary. It felt like they’d known each other for years.
Loved this passage...
Sometimes, finding time to eat could be very inconvenient… but she guessed not as inconvenient as it was for Mick… she didn’t want to go there, really.
Such beautiful insight, from him...
How could they be so connected, right from the start? If he was being honest with himself, he knew it had begun way before he’d taken her blood. That just made it harder to resist. But he was good at resisting temptation. He’d had a lot of practice.
and her...
“And just looking at the facts, it seems like it’s an open and shut case. We’ve saved each other; we’ve helped each other on cases. We make a good team. Maybe we need each other.”
This is so fantastic. Pure Mick and Beth...
She nodded, accepting. “Do me a favor, Mick?”
He should have said if I can. “Sure,” came out instead.
“Don’t avoid me this time.”
“If I do, we’ll only run into each other,” he answered ruefully.
“Probably in the morgue,” she agreed, with one of those smiles that he would have sold his soul for, if he had one.
Oh yeah, Mick has a soul. And it's found its mate.

Loved this so very much Catmoon. Thank you!
Thank you TugaFanatic for my brilliant avi.
Thank you moonnoir for my wonderful banner.
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

Raven wrote:Cat...you've written these little points in time that just radiate the early Mick/Beth magic so beautifully. This is one of them. Two beings that are connected on so many levels, concentrating on their friendship and ignoring the untapped passion that simmers...sometimes releasing ripples of attraction...subtle warnings that things are not as platonic as they seem. Love how you highlight Beth's penchant for ignoring niceties and continuing conversations as if time hasn't passed...and Mick's amused, usually silent acknowledgement of it...
Thanks. And that was an insightful and eloquent comment as well! Truly sums up their relationship.
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

It's like watching tennis with these two. I like your Beth in particular in this one and I'm not a Beth fan.

Very enjoyable.
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

I know that I'd missed this one before and I am delighted that I found it through The Coffee House recommendation. It was a real treat. I love the early episodes, you did a great job picking up on the balance.
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Cat,
What a great read! Just loved the smug poking Beth did and the general back and forth between them. You did very well capturing Mick's frustration with the situation and his internal debate. What is really nice about this fic is how even with all the poking going on, they each care for the other.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

cat,

Just read this again for the Coffee House discussion. It gets better every time.

You do indeed have their banter down cold, and many of us struggle with Beth. You nail her every single time.

Brava!

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Cat, this is one of the very first Moonlight stories I ever read; I loved it then, and I love it now. I'm so glad it was recommended for the Coffee House discussion, because I'd forgotten about it after more than a year. (Oh good lord, has it really been so long?)

This story just tickled me when I read it, because it felt so much like the kinds of things Mick and Beth would do. Playing, but not normal playing. Beth like a little terrier, worrying at Mick's heels; Mick like a big, dignified lab--but with a little puppy still in him. Knocked off balance, still maintaining his sense of stability (with some effort), but drawn out of himself and forced to let himself go a little. And terrier Beth learning respect and a little self restraint from him... so nice.

I've got to agree with Raven. Mick may not believe he's got a soul, but he's definitely got one--and Beth is holding it for him.

Just lovely. Like reuniting with a beloved old friend. :hug: :hearts: :thanks:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

thankyou thankyou Coffee House for introducing me to this fic. Cat, this fic is adorable. Its funny, the emotions are real, and the pacing of the writing is perfect. I love love love this piece of fiction. Here's to you Catmoon :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

Cassysj: That's a high compliment indeed, then. I guess I tend to bring out the best parts of Beth's personality in my stories, but then many of them were written before they made her so flaky on the show.

MoonShadow: Thanks. It was an honor for my stories to be recommended over there. I hope to get to the other rec's this weekend when I get the time.

Nutmegger911: Glad you liked it. When I first posted this, my first ML, and was told I'd done a good job with the characterizations, I knew I was going to be able to write ML. Doesn't always happen that way no matter how much you like a certain TV show.

SBJ: Thanks! I'll let you in on a secret: I struggle with Beth too! ;) I think I just write her the way I'd like to see her, for the most part.

Allegrita: Ah, yes, the good old days I remember them well! Reading stories about the early days is a nice way to bring the good memories back.

Luxe de Luxe: Thank you! I'm thrilled you liked it. And I think the Coffee House is a great way to find new fic to read, I'm looking forward to checking them out myself.

And as usual, I thank everyone for taking the time to comment.

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I also read this a long, long time ago (on a board far, far away...) and I think it is testament to your skill that it has lost none of its freshness. This story brings early Mick/Beth back into such sharp focus. The dialogue is divine, the subtext ever-present and the characterisation just spot-on. I love the way you write Mick/Beth - you have such a gift.

And like so many others, I have to add how much I wish we could have seen this played out on screen. This is just so lovely.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
lunalux
Fledgling

Post by lunalux »

ITA with Raven and allegrita, and love the banter between them, flowing so naturally, saying more than it seems, creating the space between them to deal with this burgeoning romance on terms acceptable to both of them. I am glad to have found this gem of a story through The Coffee House.
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

Red, you're going to embarrass me with all these compliments! :blushing: Thank you. Luna, that's a part of their early relationship on the show that I loved -- how there was so much more behind what they were saying than the words. I like writing that way too, so I guess Mickbeth was a perfect fit for me. Thanks.

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Cat, I'm having a Guillermo moment... (tell it like I see it :) ). What can I say? I'm a fan :hearts: .

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
janicevictoria
Fledgling

Post by janicevictoria »

Great story Cat Moon! The dialogue is spot on and very Mick/Beth. I read this on Coco's recommendation and will be checking out your other fics. :wave:

Thanks to Pinkiepie for my lovely banner
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

janicevictoria wrote:Great story Cat Moon! The dialogue is spot on and very Mick/Beth. I read this on Coco's recommendation and will be checking out your other fics. :wave:
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like Mick says, "glad the buzz is good." ;)

Return to “Cat Moon's Office”