I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 4/5] PG13

NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 4/5] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Beta: Much thanks and appreciation goes to Barb, a.k.a. Bank1115.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I Know What You Are, Mick — Chapter 4

Josef sat in the chair behind Mick’s desk, swivelling slowly back and forth, staring intensely at Beth. She held his gaze for the most part, but every once in a while she’d look briefly away. He could hear her heart beating fast and a leisurely smile spread across his face. He steepled his fingers and began to speak.

“Miss Turner…you have stumbled tonight upon a very dangerous secret. A very dangerous and juicy secret.”

Beth remained silent.

“You are a tabloid reporter, correct?”

Beth slapped the desk. “I’m a crime reporter.”

Josef lifted an eyebrow with an amused smirk. “…Who works for Buzzwire.”

“Excuse me, but Buzzwire is not a tabloid! It’s hard-hitting, investigative—okay, there’s a bit of sleaze…” Beth admitted.

“Your first live broadcast sensationalized the terrible and tragic murder of a college co-ed.”

Beth pursed her lips as Josef continued, his dark eyes burning into hers, “I believe you spiced it up with a little headline—what was it?—oh, yes…Vampire Slaying Rocks L.A. ” He waved his hand in an arc as he said the headline.

“You think you can’t trust me.” It was a statement, not a question.

Josef grinned. “Ooh, quick study.” He pushed absent-mindedly at some papers on the desk with his hand.

“What makes you think I’ll expose you?”

Josef’s hand stilled. “Were you just present for the little conversation we had before you said, ‘what makes you think I’ll expose you?’”

“Yes…”

“Okay, I take back my ‘quick study’ comment.”

Beth glared at him. “That was back before I knew vampires actually existed. I thought it was just a unique angle that would attract the attention of readers, because let’s face it, everyone is intrigued by the supernatural.”

“My point, exactly. This story would be your big break, wouldn’t it? You break the existence of vampires, and you get a Pulitzer. Isn’t that every reporter’s wet dream?”

“Look…I know my being a reporter makes things…complicated…but a reporter isn’t all I am. I’m first a human being. One whose little world has been shattered because, holy crap, vampires exist. I don’t think I could handle the rest of the world crumbling around me, too…Besides, Mick saved my life—you think I would just turn around and destroy his just to make my career?”

Josef shrugged. “I don’t know, would you?”

Beth scowled. “No. I wouldn’t. Because I don’t turn on my friends.”

Josef regarded her carefully. Her heartbeat was slightly accelerated, but strong and steady. He inhaled. She wasn’t afraid—just angry. With him. The corners of his mouth turned up slightly.

“All right, Miss Turner. You have my permission to continue breathing.”

“Why thank you, O lord and master of the universe,” Beth said in a voice laden with sarcasm, bowing slightly.

Josef nodded regally, holding back a grin. “And next time you’re tended to spin a story in the supernatural direction, why don’t you just go ahead and spin it in another direction, huh? Consider it an exercise in…creativity. Something you reporters seem to have little of.”

Beth glowered at him, but nodded.

“You know,” Josef whispered, leaning forward slightly, “when vampires come to an agreement, they normally seal it with a little—” he let his fangs drop and made a little biting motion over his wrist, “—you know. Like a blood brothers kinda thing.”

“Really.” Beth raised a skeptical eyebrow.

Suddenly the office door burst open. “Rule number one about Josef, Beth—don’t believe half the stuff he says, especially if he’s asking for a drink.” Mick took a few steps in from the doorway, glaring at his friend.

Josef laid a hand over his heart with an innocent grin. “Who, me?” he mouthed.

Beth, however, was hardly paying attention. She was gazing in awe at Mick’s bare upper body. “Amazing…” she breathed.

Josef had to quickly clap a hand to his mouth to cover his snicker.

Beth extended her arm out to touch Mick’s chest. “You’ve completely healed,” she whispered.

“Darn,” Josef snapped his fingers. “I was hoping things were about to get interesting.”

Mick ignored his friend. “Yeah, a little blood is all it takes, and we heal right up.”

Beth shook her head in wonder.

“Anyway, now that Josef has given you the all-clear, I’d better take you home, Beth. It’s been a bit of a long night for all of us.”

“Speak for the human, Mick. You and I’ll be up for hours.”

“It’s just a phrase, Josef…” He looked down at Beth. “Let me just go put on a shirt, okay?”

She nodded and smiled slightly, and he left the room. She turned to look at Josef. He was sitting there, smirking at her.

What.” She shot him a look.

“Little disappointed there, are you?”

“Yes. I’m disappointed. So disappointed we have to leave you behind.” She narrowed her eyes at him.

Josef schooled his face. “Oh, well, we can remedy that, no prob! I’ll come with.” He started to rise from his chair.

“No!” Beth’s arm shot out. “You stay here. Wouldn’t want to disturb your ‘day’ any longer.”

“Fine.” He sat down again. “We’ll be in touch.”

“Great,” Beth smiled wryly. “You know, I think I’ll go wait for Mick in the other room...”

“Hoping he’ll forget what he went upstairs for?”

“Ugh,” Beth groaned and stalked out of the office, slamming the door behind her.

Josef leaned back in the chair as far as it would go, resting his hands behind his head. “I like her, she’s fun,” he grinned to the empty room.

To be continued...
MSJ_sunglasses
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 4/5] PG13

Post by MSJ_sunglasses »

You have Josef down to a T! :clapping: :clapping:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Glad to hear it! Thank you so much, MSJ! :)
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Brilliant. I was laughing through the whole d*mn thing.
Josef is so Josef in this, and Beth is so Beth and Mick is so Mick.
Love the whole conversation.
Beth, however, was hardly paying attention. She was gazing in awe at Mick’s bare upper body. “Amazing…” she breathed.
Who could fault her for that. I guess it wasn't only the fact that he wasn't bleeding any more.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Francis, thank you so much. I'm always glad to hear that I've kept the characters in-character, because that is important to me. And I do like laughing, so that's important to me as well.

As for the Mick no-shirt, Beth awed thing, she really was [mostly] thinking of the healing--after all, not ten minutes before Mick's torso was a bloody mess--but Josef was hoping it would be for the other reason, because it would be far more entertaining for him. And Mick is not only shirtless, but clueless to it all.
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

Lol, yes, the barechest part and Josef's snark at it, so funny! It's so good to see portrayed Beth's attraction for Mick that early on with Josef there to take stabs at it lol!!!
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Tee hee, glad you liked, Diane ;)

Return to “I Know What You Are, Mick”