I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 1/5] PG13

NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 1/5] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Summary: Alternate ending to Ep. 2 “Out of the Past.” Mick calls in some “backup” to help him deal with Lee Jay, but Beth still does not wait in the car…

Beta: Much thanks and appreciation goes to Barb, a.k.a. Bank1115.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I Know What You Are, Mick — Chapter 1

“YOU DO NOT TALK TO ME THAT WAY!

“I know what you are, Mick. Now here’s what I want.”

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Beth turned in her seat to look at Mick. “What did Lee Jay mean, ‘I know what you are’?”

Mick’s jaw twitched slightly. He kept his eyes on the road.

“Mick?” Beth prompted. “What did he mean?”

Mick shook his head. “I dunno.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“Look, Beth. We don’t have time right now to get into all the possibilities of what Lee Jay meant. Maybe after. We need to save Julia from him first. So for now you just have to trust me, okay?”

Beth frowned, slouching in her seat. “Fine.”

Mick glanced over at her. “Thank you.”

She nodded grudgingly. He couldn’t stop the corners of his mouth from turning up at the sight of her pouting and had to look away for a moment. He pulled out his cell phone, hit a button, and held the phone up to his ear.

“Josef.” he said after a moment. “I’m heading for a showdown with Spalding. I was thinking—could you maybe come back me up? And, uh, bring some of the supplies I gave you? This guy’s done his homework and he may have reinforcements. Oh, and—” he glanced subtly at Beth “—I have company.”

What, a human? Geez, Mick, could you make things any more complicated?

Mick knew his best friend well enough to take his response as an affirmative to his request for backup. “Thanks, man—it looks like we’re headed for the warehouse district. Start heading in that direction; I’ll send you the exact address when I’ve got it.” He disconnected the call and handed his phone to Beth. “When we get the address, can you text it to the last number I called?”

“Okay, sure. Who is it?”

“My best friend, Josef.”

“Is he a P.I., too?”

Mick snorted. “No. He’s a hedge fund trader.”

Beth raised an eyebrow. “You called some businessman in a suit to come and back you up against a dangerous murderer?”

Mick smiled, despite the situation. “Trust me, Josef can handle himself,” he said enigmatically.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Mick pulled up in front of a run-down warehouse. Beth was already typing the address into his phone when he reached across her and opened the glove box to reveal a gun. She looked over at him questioningly.

“Now, do you know how to use that?” he asked her.

Her response was to pick up the gun, slam the clip in, and draw back the slide.

“You remember what I said?” Mick regarded her intently.

“Call the cops if you’re not out in 10 minutes, don’t come inside. I got it, I got it,” she waved him off.

“Okay.”

“Why does the girl always have to wait in the car?” she called after him; but Mick had already disappeared on her. “Chee…”

He had only been gone a few minutes when Beth saw a man sauntering down the alley towards the car. He stared at Beth warily before approaching.

“Since you’re sitting in the passenger seat of his car, I assume you must either be Mick’s friend…or a very stupid car thief.”

Beth smiled a bit awkwardly and held out her hand. “Beth Turner.”

“Charmed.” He took her hand and bowed over it. “Josef Kostan.”

“You’re Josef?” Beth eyed him up and down suspiciously. He was not what she expected. He wasn’t in a suit, but jeans, a button-up shirt, and a leather jacket. He looked younger than Mick, and was certainly no more impressive physically. Yet Mick wanted him for backup against Lee Jay?

“Yes. Is this so surprising?”

Beth ignored his question. “Are you a black belt or something?”

“What?” Josef asked, amused. He glanced down at his pants. “No, but I am wearing one.”

Beth was still looking intently at him. “Mick said you were a businessman, but could handle yourself.”

“Ah, I see,” Josef smirked. “Because I wear a suit and sit at a desk from 9 to 5, I must be all weak, and pathetic.”

Beth blushed. “I didn’t exactly mean that—”

“Uh-huh... Well, as a hedge fund trader, I am good with verbal threats—never underestimate the power of words. Maybe Mick was hoping I could smack talk Lee Jay to death.”

Beth shook her head. “Yeah, maybe.”

“Well, I’d better get in there and warm up my tongue. You. Wait here.” Josef started to walk off to the warehouse.

“Hey, tell me something!”

Josef turned his head to look back at Beth.

“Why does the girl always have to wait in the car?”

Josef just grinned at her and kept on walking.

The warehouse door appeared to be locked from the inside. Josef could easily break in, but that would make too much noise—not too mention, attract too much attention. He inhaled deeply and could see Mick glancing back at the car to make sure no one was watching, then propelling himself up the wall. He rolled his eyes. “Great.” He sighed and glanced back. Beth was watching him. He smiled and waved overenthusiastically. She gave an awkward little wave back. Then he did a double take and looked past her, deep into the shadows behind the car. His mouth dropped open in horror and he gestured urgently for her to look behind her. Beth whirled around in her seat, gun in hand.

Josef smirked and jumped quickly up the wall and onto a ledge. That was too easy—but so much fun. He landed in a crouch, then cautiously peered down at the car. Beth, upon not seeing anything or anyone behind her, had turned back only to find him not there anymore. He could clearly see her annoyed scowl as she tried in vain to spot where he’d gone. When he was satisfied she was only looking for him horizontally and not vertically, he turned and climbed up to the roof, smirking. Ah, humans—can’t live without ‘em.

“First Mick’s always disappearing into thin air, now his friend Josef. What’s the deal with those guys?” Beth sulked. She startled as a loud bang came from the warehouse.

A tear-streaked Julia came bursting out the side door. Beth jumped out of the car and ran to her.

“Julia! Are you okay?”

“I am—now—but Mick—” she gulped, “Lee Jay shot Mick. He’s still in there!”

“Oh my gosh!” Beth shoved her phone into Julia’s hand. “You get in the car. Call the police. I’m going in there to help Mick.”

Julia nodded tearfully as Beth raced into the warehouse with the gun.

To be continued...
MSJ_sunglasses
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 1/5] PG13

Post by MSJ_sunglasses »

Some wonderful Josef lines :clapping: :clapping:

:reading: :reading: :reading:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thanks so much, MSJ! :)
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Lovely start. Love the banter of Josef and Beth, and how you incorporated the actual scenes into your story. :hearts:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Whee, thank you, Francis! So glad you like. I haven't pinpointed exactly why, but I seem to like taking events from existing episodes and altering or ending them differently. It's fun.
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

I was just about to comment on that!!! I LOVE this way of writing fanfic. :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: I love revisiting the eps, and I love multichapters, so that makes it the best of both worlds. It also really takes me back to when I first saw the episode, not knowing what would come next... and also the ways my mind used to conjure up all these scenarios afterwards. I LOVE it!!! :heart:
Although the show obviously took a different direction, still it doesn't feel offcanon either, it feel naural, because it all seems so probable. That is such a great kind of fanfic!!! :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: And the way you portray Josef is SO spot on!!! Especially the humour!
Thank you so much for this story! :heart:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Thank you so much, Diane! I'm so glad you enjoyed. :biggrin: I pretty much exclusively write "what-ifs" for episodes (with the exceptions of my one-shots), so I guess it's a good thing you like those! (and I also have fun with Josef :laugh: ).

Return to “I Know What You Are, Mick”