On Ice [part 3/4] PG13

A place for NocturneInCMoll's G to PG-13 stories.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

On Ice [part 3/4] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Author's note: Thanks so much to Bank1115, who gave me wonderful feedback on parts 3 and 4 in order that I might improve them.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

On Ice — Part 3

“A vampire. You’re a vampire. I can’t believe it.”

“Just please do not tell me you would like a special hickey to prove it—because, if I have the option, I actually would prefer Mick’s bagged morgue blood to feeding off a human male. It’s just kinda…icky. I admit I bit Anders, but that was the vampire equivalent of making him my bitch.”

Talbot actually giggled. “I just—I can’t wrap my mind around this, you know? Vampires exist. I’m sitting in a convertible with a vampire. I think my head’s gonna implode.”

“Not in the Ferrari, please!” Josef groaned. “I just had it detailed! So help me, Talbot, if you get your brain guts all over my car, I will have no scruples whatsoever about tossing you into the tar pits.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll try and keep it together.” Talbot then made a concerted effort to compose himself, taking a couple of deep breaths. He cleared his throat. “So, wait, Beth—that story you covered on the college professor and his TA, were they really vampires?”

Beth smiled wanly. “No, but that was how I met a real one, though I didn’t know it at the time. Mick. He was always disappearing on me.” She shook her head and clenched her fists. “Drove me crazy…” She trailed off with a wistful look on her face.

“That professor was a pathetic poser wannabe that called himself a vampire, not knowing that true vampires existed and that he was pissing them off with his little game.” Josef’s fangs flashed in a brief grin. “Mick straightened him out. Wish I could have been there to see the look on his face…”

Talbot nodded. “So…what about Mick? What happened to him today? Is he okay?”

Josef looked up at the sky. The stars were faint in L.A., even to his superior eyes. “Mick is basically in a coma…and I have little hope that he’ll come out of it. In a nutshell, Mick took a compound temporarily rendering him human. When you and Beth were kidnapped by a vampire, he thought he could run in there, despite being disgustingly mortal, and still save the day by bringing all his weapons and going all Van Helsing on them. I proved him wrong by disarming him in about three seconds flat.” Josef grinned sadly and continued, “Well, I made my point. And Mick, determined to save Beth at any cost”—tears started rolling down Beth’s cheeks—“asked me to turn him back into a vampire. I tried, but it didn’t work. Turnings aren’t always successful. He didn’t wake up again.”

Josef looked down at his lap. “That’s the second time that’s happened to someone I love.” Beth took Josef’s hand, knowing he was thinking of Sarah. She could relate to Josef even more now. But it made it even harder for her, knowing that Mick had sacrificed his humanity—however temporary—and tried to become a vampire again, which he hated, just to save her. And now he might never wake up.

“I’m sorry,” Talbot said. Josef could tell he was sincere.

“Yeah, well—I’d better get you kids home.” He started the car. “No tar pits for you tonight.”

Beth smiled through her tears.

“Wait a second—just how old are you, anyway?” Talbot inquired suddenly.

Josef smiled as he slammed his foot down on the accelerator, sending both Beth and Talbot reeling against their seats. “Me? Oh, I’m 26.” He paused and glanced in the rearview mirror, watching as Talbot regained his balance, seeming disappointed, then dropped the bombshell. “…Give or take 383 years or so.”

Talbot’s eyes bugged out of his head. “You’re three hundred and eighty-three years old?!”

“No, that’s how long I’ve been a vampire. I was turned when I was 26. So, actually, I’m 409,” Josef smirked.

“Seriously. You’re serious.”

“Seriously pissed I don’t get to use a senior’s discount. If anyone should qualify for one, it’s me—is it fair to punish me just because I look really good for my age?”

Talbot shook his head. “I have a lot of other questions,” he began, “but I think they can wait.”

“Thank you,” Josef nodded. “By the way, where exactly am I delivering you to, Talbot?”

“Oh, right. Take a left on Sixth.”

Ten minutes later, Josef parked in front of Talbot’s apartment building. Before Talbot could get out of the car, he found his arm caught in a death grip. “I’m warning you, Talbot. Our existence must be kept secret at all costs. Just remember—I know where you live, and I’m fully capable of tearing your throat out with my bare hands before you can even blink. That, and I saved your life—twice, if you think about it, because I’m not killing you right now—so you kinda owe me. I’m trusting you.”

Talbot nodded solemnly. “Got it. You can count on me. And thanks again.”

Josef nodded. “We’ll be in touch. Oh, and if there’s ever any scum that you can’t seem to find room for in the human justice system, let me know—I was cheated out of a trip to the tar pits tonight,” he smirked.

“Right. Sure. I’ll…keep that in mind.” Talbot regarded him uneasily for a moment, then turned to walk towards the hi-rise.

“Oh, and Talbot—” Josef called after him. Talbot spun around on his heels but almost fell over backward—Josef was standing right there in front of him, grinning widely, showing off his fangs again. Talbot held a hand over his racing heart. “Geez, Kostan, you scared me! How did you get—oh, never mind, I know, I know…”

Josef’s face suddenly morphed into a scowl. “Talbot, I’ve changed my mind about something…”

“What?” Talbot breathed, feeling his heart stop and plummet into his stomach.

“You seem like an intelligent, resourceful, pragmatic young man,” he casually started brushing Talbot’s lapels for him, “so I didn’t think I needed to do this, but I can’t take the chance…”

Talbot held his breath, his heart suddenly pounding in his ears.

“…I must tell you that if you decide to research anything about us on your own…don’t believe everything you read on the internet!” With that benediction, he straightened Talbot’s lapel for him and sauntered, smirking, back to the car.

Talbot expelled the breath he was holding. “Geez…vampires like to keep you on your toes,” he grumbled under his breath.

“That’s right, we do—remember that, Talbot!” Josef yelled from the car.

Talbot’s eyes went wide and his breath quickened. He kept an eye on one occupant of the car in particular as he hastily unlocked the door to his building, entered, and slammed it behind him.

Beth and Josef turned and grinned at each other until each of them had the same thought at the same time and their smiles faded. Neither of them would be telling Mick of this later.

They both sat staring at the dashboard for a few moments until Beth broke the silence.

“Josef, I want to see him,” she said quietly.

Josef nodded reluctantly and put the car into drive.

To be continued…
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: On Ice [part 3/4] PG13

Post by francis »

I love their banter in the car.
Josef looked down at his lap. “That’s the second time that’s happened to someone I love.”
He’s uncharacteristically open here, shows how much Mick’s death cost him.
With the death of Mick in the background I couldn’t really enjoy the banter the way I would have. But as I know you love happy endings I am still in hope that Mick just had a fledgling nap or something… bwah, please!!!
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: On Ice [part 3/4] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Thanks, Francis. Yeah, I figured Mick's death(?) at his hands would cause Josef to let his guard down a little (besides, he could always just kill the guy). Glad you liked the banter.

Return to “NocturneInCMoll's Office”