100% Freshie Chapter 30 --PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

100% Freshie Chapter 30 --PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

Disclaimer: The characters from Moonlight are copyrighted by CBS, and no infringement is intended.

Special note: This work takes place in the world of Moonlight, but your favorite vamps are not the main focus. Sorry about that; try to enjoy the story anyway. You might be surprised.

100% Freshie

Chapter 30

Danni wanted, badly, to throw herself into Will’s arms, but when he stalked into the lobby of the Kostan Building, she took one look at his face and shrank back.

“What the hell is going on, Danni?” he asked, frowning.

The security guard, to his credit, stood his ground, glancing over to his charge. “Miss?”

Danni shook her head. “It’s okay. He’s my—it’s okay,” she said thickly.

About that time, Will got close enough to really catch her scent. “Oh, crap,” he said. “Serena? Here?”

Danni just looked at him, eyes troubled. “Can we go?”

Will went very still, closing his eyes. Whether he was trying to block the images, or clarify them, he wasn’t sure. In any case, after a just a moment, he nodded, and put a hand on Danni’s elbow to guide her as she stepped forward. He was catching continuing heart flutters and fear scent from the freshie. “Dammit, Danger, I’m here. Why are you so scared?”

“You’re angry,” she said faintly. She wobbled on her heels, and his hand was the only thing that kept her upright.

“Angry?” Will steadied her. Danger’s scent, mingled with Serena’s, brought back uneasy memories of holding her warmly against his naked body. “Maybe. Didn’t I tell you to stay away from vamps—any vamps—“

“You said, for a few days. That was over a week and a half ago.”

“And how do you count, Danger? One, two, three, many?” Will snapped. He pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to keep focused. He wasn’t sure how she did it, but this girl always seemed to provoke him. And now, as he probably should have predicted, she was turning huge wounded eyes at him, tears gathering silently.

“I—I’m sorry, Will,” she said, looking away from him.

Will cursed inwardly. Maybe there was a lost puppy wandering in the vicinity he could kick while he was at it.

“I should have just called a cab, but I—I was afraid she’d follow me.” The tremor had spread to her voice, now, and Will thought he heard something else, as well. He slid an arm around Danni’s waist as they walked.

Once they had gained the comparative privacy of his car, Danni relaxed a bit, leaning back against the seat and watching Will’s smooth and graceful movements as he drove. Maybe it was age and practice, but one of the things Danni loved, and truth be told, envied, about the vamps was the way they moved through the world with power and grace. She’d noticed long since that all the freshies mimicked vamp gestures and gaits, some with more success than others.

If she noticed his silence, she made a point of not breaking it. The wounds on her tongue were beginning to throb painfully. Her lips felt swollen and tender as well, as though she’d never been kissed before, and she had no idea what to make of that.

Will was at a bit of a loss as well. He could scent Serena’s aroma mingled deeply with Danger’s. She’d obviously made sure to spread herself on the freshie, doubtless knowing that if she upset Danger enough, the girl would turn to Will. So Serena wanted to send him a message. He wished she’d just pick up a phone, because he had no real idea what she was after. He supposed he needed to know what had gone on with Danger, though, he thought tiredly.

“Danger,” he asked, “you don’t appear to be wounded badly, and I think we established a long time ago you’re all about the bite. You want to tell me why you’re so upset?”

Danni looked out the window. “Your concern is overwhelming, Will.”

“Look, Danger, you’re the one who wanted to be anybody’s blood donor.” He knew the words were brutal, and maybe he would have wished them unsaid. Maybe.

Danni bowed her head, and glancing at her a few seconds later, Will saw the sparkle of tears splashing on her folded hands. Will cursed silently again, and told himself yet another time that getting emotionally involved with a freshie was a stupid thing to do. He’d been planning to take her back to her place, but he found himself turning the car toward his house. He wondered if it was an instinctive retreat to his cave, to the greatest place of safety he could offer.

He did notice that the girl, normally quick to answer, argue, and explain, was uncharacteristically quiet. Well, she would tell him in her own time. He could wait.

It was not until they were seated in Will’s living room that Danni felt able to speak. She noticed that every trace of Serena’s previous visit had been erased, the room restored to its clean, cold order.

“She wanted to kill me,” Danni said, not knowing what reaction to expect. Will had separated himself from her, taking a seat in a facing chair. She wrapped her arms around herself, shivering in the cool temperature of the room, and the distance she saw in the vampire’s turquoise eyes.

Will looked at her, eyes clear and calm. “What prevented her?”

“Josef.”

At that, he frowned and looked away. “Then why call me? If Kostan had it under control?”

Danni curled up in response, pulling her knees up to her chest. Despite the sophisticated gown she wore, Will thought she looked like a beaten child. It was damned appealing, and he knew she wanted him to comfort her. He knew she wanted to crawl into his lap, to lay her head on his shoulder. But he could not take her blood, and he could not face holding her and breathing Serena’s scent so closely on her.

Danni was lost. She could see Will might as well be miles away. “This isn’t—you don’t really want me here, do you?”

“Let’s just say I’m not sure what you want from me.” Will made his voice as unemotional as he could. “I’m not your boyfriend, Danger. I’m not your protector, either, not the way you seem to think I am.”

Danni nodded. “I see,” she said bleakly. “Then I won’t trouble you further.” She stood, swaying a little at the sudden movement, and began to step forward. Her heel tangled in the hem of her dress, and she stumbled, recovering with a jerk that snapped her teeth together. Then she felt a warm flood of liquid in her mouth as the wound in her tongue reopened.

Will’s head whipped around as the scent of fresh blood filled his senses. He saw the bright spill of it overflowing her lips, and before he could stop himself, or she could realize he was moving, his mouth was on hers, drinking. Stop himself? He reveled in the blood, in the secondhand flashes he could taste of her terror at Serena’s fangs, at this obscene parody of a kiss. At this moment, even as her blood filled him, completed him, he hated her, hated the idea that any blood so bright and sweet and precious should come so willingly to him. He grasped her brutally by her upper arms, and pulled hard at her wounded tongue, until she began to struggle, to try futilely to escape.

Only as her hands beating at him began to fall away, did he fight his way back through the red haze of his thirst. He pushed her away to fall back on the couch, her blue eyes wide and stricken, her honey blonde hair falling in disarray around her face. She held one hand to her reddened mouth, covering it from his gaze.

Will stared at her, his turquoise eyes blazing, his hands at his sides flexing into fists, relaxing, flexing again. “Damn you,” he said, and Danni could see his fangs, still hungering and long. She slowly turned her face from him, stretching the bare length of her neck for his use, her fear betrayed only by a faint trembling in her jaw. “Damn you,” he said again, but now his voice had dropped to a whisper. He had no idea, in this moment, what he wanted from this freshie, what his next move would be.

And in this silence, broken only by the ragged breathing of the young woman, the sound of a ringing phone was shattering. Will closed his eyes, the spell broken, the moment of peril, he thought, past. He dug into his pocket and frowned at the phone.

Danni watched his face as he listened, saying little, to the caller. His face stilled, all hint of life leaving it, and Danni felt a chill sweep through the room.

“I see,” Will said, and his eyes as he looked at Danni were colder than she had ever seen. The silver ice of the vampire stare was nothing to what she saw in his face at this moment. “I’ll be there as soon as I can,” Will said, and snapped the phone shut. He took a deep breath. “When you called me, earlier, I was on my way to see Hunter. Because of you, I didn’t go to her tonight. And because of that, she thought she’d been abandoned again. She tried to kill herself, Danger. They don’t know yet if she’s going to make it.” He looked away, unable to look at her. “I’m leaving, and I want you out of my house.”

“Will—“

He shook his head. “Don’t speak. Just go.”

This time, as she stood, the grayness at the edges of her vision swelled to overcome her, and she crumpled, unconscious. Will looked down at her for a few moments, listening to the steady sound of her heart. He had no time for this. He turned away, and was gone.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 100% Freshie Chapter 30 --PG-13

Post by francis »

This is awkward. He is angry, but maybe not so much at her. He wants to protect her, and failed again. She is tempting him more than he can endure, and when she starts bleeding, he cannot help himself.
Now he blames her for Hunter’s attempt, too. Is it really her fault? Wasn’t it Josef who called him? And wasn’t it his choice whom to get and where to drive? He could have taken Danger with him to visit Hunter, or left her in the car. Why do they both blame each other for every bad decision they make?
This is really unhealthy, but I think this is what a relationship of their characters can be like.
I can't wait to see where you head with this.

Return to “100% Freshie”