Afterglow, part seven (M/B/J, PG-13)

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Afterglow, part seven (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh Liana, I'm so happy you found this story again too :hearts: . And regarding Beth, well, your instincts may be right - but you'll need to read chapter 8 to find out for sure. Although I should warn you, if this one made you cry, ch.8 will make you sob... :comfort: . As for Pete, you'll just have to wait and see I'm afraid.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Oh my -- I am SO behind with the updates on this story! I'm just glad I found it again.

I can't say much better what everyone else has said up to this point. I can't stand Mick and Beth separated, but you write it so well, it's impossible to resist. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that you will get them back together.

redwinter101 wrote: Beth had managed to win him over in the short time they had worked together. The first day they met, she had tartly informed him that she had two perfectly good names, neither of which was "Honey" and an instant friendship was formed. Now he was her guide through a new cityscape as well as her protector from enemies both in the newsroom and out in the real world.
This was awesome. So Beth! I like Pete, but I did do a quick inhale when she mentioned Mick's name to him. I hope he's a good guy, but I think details like that should best be kept to herself at this point...
Raven wrote:Beth has filled Mick with love, happiness and life and the darkness that had once threatened to consume him was rendered inert...will it start festering and rise up, causing Mick to believe Beth's true happiness is in her new successful human life, away from vampires, without him and all being with him brings? The air has shifted and Josef seems to be...dropping subtle hints...oh, I'm thinking way too much...I shall have to run back over to chapter 4, yes, that's a good one. :lol:
Fantastic stuff Red, just fantastic!
I agree with you Raven -- the first thing I thought when I read about Mick seeing Beth adjusting was that he would think she was better off without him and let her go -- for her own good, of course, but to his deepening misery. Red -- don't listen to us! We're fools guessing foolish things, right? right?

redwinter101 wrote:"But, we can't be together right now. That's all. And I miss him. I miss him every second..." She stopped. She wouldn't break, not here, not in front of a man she hardly knew, a man she needed to respect her. "I'm sorry, Pete. Thanks for the drink. I've gotta go." With a brisk kiss on his cheek she was gone in a whirl, ignoring his entreaties to stay. Suddenly the glamour seemed tawdry, the success meaningless, because Mick wasn't there to share it. By the time she reached the door she was running, out onto the sidewalk, grateful for the cool air. She finally slowed after a couple of blocks, hailing a cab and slumping inside, head in hands.
redwinter101 wrote: But Mick was no longer listening. She drew him closer, closer, until he was inches from the image, eyes wide, fingers outstretched. She glowed through the screen and he was caught between a laugh and a sob, joy and despair. He couldn't even focus on her words, just the sound of her voice, washing over him, making him forget. She looked beautiful, of course, but Mick could see the strain, the tiredness.

"Did you expect anything less, Josef? If you did, you really don't know Beth at all." His voice ached with pride. As her face faded, Mick turned and left, heading for home. Home to write to her of his joy, his love, his hope. For today, just for today, he would keep his despair to himself.
These two descriptions of each of them just about did me in. Please fix this.
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Moonlighter, I'm so happy you found the story and are catching up; thank you - that's made my day :)

As for Mick, well so far, he's holding good to his word. He promised Beth that he wouldn't give up, that he wouldn't imagine her better off without him, that he would be strong. In this story, I think Mick has (mostly) got over that "I need to stay away to keep her safe" schtick - he's in this relationship, this marriage 100%.

I can't promise to fix it to everyone's satisfaction, but I will bring it to a conclusion - after ch. 8 there are about another 4 chapters to go.

Red

Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am just now finding this really fascinating story. It is like Moonlight with procedural aspects and romance, passion, friendship, everything. I just finished reading this Chapter and noticed that there were many more comments here than in the earlier chapters so I am assuming that this chapter was posted here for the first time and Chapters 1-5 may have been posted elsewhere originally. Otherwise the disparity in the number of comments isn't making sense to me. But anyway, I don't really have anything significant to say that hasn't already been said. I am really enjoying the journey this story is providing and not just the destination. That's really what life is supposed to be about anyway.

I know the Legion were supposed to be a key component of what would have been Moonlight's second year. I am just a little confused about what it is that makes them so powerful that Vampires fear them?

Thank you again, Red.

M.S.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

M.S., the first six chapters of this were posted at moonlightforever before I brought them over here.

Thanks for the kind words - they are very much appreciated. As for the Legion, well, I mentioned that there had been a war, followed by a truce, so they had enough numbers to do serious damage to the vampires in LA. A little more about them in chapter 9...

Red

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

ha ha.... with Beth on the case now, the Legion don't have a chance!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:ha ha.... with Beth on the case now, the Legion don't have a chance!
If only life were that simple.....

Red

greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Okay, I'm thinking Beth is in D.C. ;)

Wow, the Legion! :eek2:

Beth and Mick...their heartbreak at being separated is just...*gl9 flails for proper words and fails miserably*

My hat's off to your increble skill Red. :notworthy:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

greenleaf9 wrote:Okay, I'm thinking Beth is in D.C. ;)

Wow, the Legion! :eek2:

Beth and Mick...their heartbreak at being separated is just...*gl9 flails for proper words and fails miserably*

My hat's off to your increble skill Red. :notworthy:
:curtesy:

Thank you.

Red

Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Wow, I think this is the best chapter yet, in spite of (or because of?) the separation....
I especially love the endings of both parts -- Beth deciding to join in the fight from her end, Mick seeing her on the screen.
Not to mention the wonderful daily detail of their separate lives!
Fantastic storytelling.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:yahoo:

Thanks, Shadow. I knew it was a risk separating Mick and Beth for a large chunk of time in the middle of the story - and I was very aware of needing to keep the story moving forward, to try to keep the tension. I love that you enjoyed it.

Red :hearts:

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

What struck me here is the mirrored pain. The quiet despair that Mick feels apart from Beth, but Beth feels the same so as terrible as it is, they still have the other. Josef has arranged for Simone's new life, and yet he acutely feels the separation from his love.

But he feels the pain alone. Heartbraking.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, jen. That's very much the way I see Josef - somehow Mick is meant to be with Beth but I can never really picture Josef with anyone - Sarah, Simone, or anyone else - in quite the same way.

Red

maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

But Mick was no longer listening. She drew him closer, closer, until he was inches from the image, eyes wide, fingers outstretched. She glowed through the screen and he was caught between a laugh and a sob, joy and despair. He couldn't even focus on her words, just the sound of her voice, washing over him, making him forget. She looked beautiful, of course, but Mick could see the strain, the tiredness.

"Did you expect anything less, Josef? If you did, you really don't know Beth at all." His voice ached with pride. As her face faded, Mick turned and left, heading for home. Home to write to her of his joy, his love, his hope. For today, just for today, he would keep his despair to himself.
Those two ..the way you paint them, they are The Power of Love! I really don't know how they put one foot in front of the other everyday!
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .

Return to “Afterglow”