Small World, PG, One-shot, Dialogue only

A place for LaughtersMelody's G to PG-13 stories
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Small World, PG, One-shot, Dialogue only

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Title: Small World
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight, nor am I making any money from this, though I'm certainly having fun playing with the characters. No infringement intended.
Warnings: None, really, unless you count a very brief mention of a crime scene.
Summary: LA is a big place, but Mick really should have known - something like this was bound to happen sooner or later.

A/N: I have been wanting write another Moonlight fic for a while, but life is busy enough right now that I knew I didn't have time to work on a long piece, even when I had an idea I really liked. Then I remembered the dialogue only challenges there have been here on MLA in the past. This piece doesn't quite fit within the requirements of those challenges, so it's not really an answer to them, but I think dialogue only suits this idea very well, and I hope you enjoy it. :rose:

A/N2: This fic uses some of my "mental canon" for Mick's family, and it ties into some of the other stories I've written about them (links below if you're interested), but it's not necessary to read those other fics to understand this. :blinksmile:

As always, I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is the source of all inspiration.

~*~*~*~*~

Small World

“Sir! Excuse me, sir?”

“Is there something I can do for you?”

“I...I don't know, but I hope so. This...this is probably going to sound crazy, and I'm sorry for just running up to you out of the blue like this, but....you look exactly like my uncle.”

“Well, you know what they say – everyone has a doppelganger somewhere.”

“I suppose that's true. It's just...you see...my uncle and his wife disappeared back in 1952, here in LA, right after their wedding night. No one knows what happened. There was blood on the sheets and the bed in their hotel room, but that was it. The police had no other leads, and the case went cold.”

“I'm sorry to hear that.”

“Thank you. I was really little when it happened, and I don't remember my uncle all that well, but I've spent my whole life looking at pictures of him. You...you really do look exactly like him...and...when I saw you, I couldn't just stand there and say nothing. I have to know – do you...do you think there's a chance we might be related?”

“Look, Miss...”

“DuPree. Lisa DuPree. But my maiden name is St. John.”

“...Mrs. DuPree. I really am sorry, but I can't help you. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle-”

“Michael. His full name was Michael, but he usually went by Mick. I named my son after him.”

“You...you did?”

“Yes. With all the stories my dad told me about him, it feels like I knew him, in a way. He was a good man. And I wanted him to be remembered.”

“...I'm sure that would have meant a lot to him. Look, I...”

“Sir? Is something wrong? Are you okay?”

“I...I really am sorry, but I have to go.”

“Please, if there's any chance-”

“I'm sorry.”

“Sir! Sir, wait! ...Sir?”

Fin

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: I hope you enjoyed it, and please let me know what you think! :blinksmile:

If you want to read more about my take on Mick's family, my other fics that include them are Blood Ties, Elegy, Namesake, and Best Wishes.

The topic of blood being left behind in the hotel room ties into one of my other dialogue only fics, The Scene of the Crime. (I do have an explanation for why Coraline would leave the blood behind instead of calling the Cleaners...but I'll leave that particular story thread for another fic someday, Lord willing. :blinksmile:)

-Laughter
Last edited by LaughtersMelody on Sun May 21, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Small World, PG, One-shot, Dialogue only

Post by Lilly »

Poor Mick. :heart: This had to have been so hard on him. :sigh: And yet, now he knows he is remembered with love and that he has a great-nephew named after him.

Lovely job, Laughter -- you caught Mick at a time when he was still so hard on himself. Even though he couldn't let on about his identity, maybe this gave him a bit comfort.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love this conversation, and I agree with you that it works well in the dialogue-only form. I feel so much for Mick here. He feels so broken and lost... and yet, how amazing to know that he is remembered and loved! :heart:
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Oh this is really heartbreaking! Poor Mick. He has had so much to deal with in his life (both living and undead) :hearts:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Nicely done! And it could have happened. Now he knows he wasn't forgotten. Maybe he'll become an guardian angel for his namesake great-nephew??

:chin:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.

Return to “LaughtersMelody's Office”