The Card - PG13 - *new - 7/25/2021*

A place for Lilly's G to PG-13 rated stories.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

The Card - PG13 - *new - 7/25/2021*

Post by Lilly »

Author’s note: This one’s been a long time coming. (It’s been partially written for ten years. :eyeroll: ) Anyway, the story is set sometime after the events of Moonlight Episode 15 – and All Hallow’s Fright. :whistle: And very special thanks to Alle, who always helps polish up the rough spots. :flowers:

Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight or its characters. Every once in a while, one of them speaks to me and I try to take dictation, but no disrespect or copyright infringement is ever intended.

Rating: PG-13

First published: 7/25/2021

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Card

Josef slid into Mick’s office without fanfare.

“You working on a case? Or are you shopping for a new security system on Overstock.com?”

“Very funny. I’m just reading an online auction report.”

Josef moved closer to the desk as Mick continued, “Man, look at this. A Babe Ruth rookie card just sold for over half a million dollars. Half a million. Can you believe it?”

Josef frowned at the screen. “Anything can sell for that – as long as there are two people who want it badly enough. Why the sudden interest?”

“I had one of these, Joz’f – when I was a kid.”

“Sure you did, pal – and I once owned the Mona Lisa.”

“Somehow, that wouldn’t surprise me.”

“Mick, every kid who grew up in the twenties thought they once had a Babe Ruth rookie card.”

“I had one.”

“Look. Right here. That card was printed in 1914 – eight years before you were born. You sure it’s not just wishful thinking?”

No. I’m telling you, man – I had one. But I did something stupid, and I lost it.”

“Something stupid? You? Was there a girl involved?”

“Twins, actually...”

“My interest is piqued.”

“Well, they weren’t really involved...”

“Figures.”

“I was a kid, just short of my tenth birthday. Thought I was ready to take on the world, you know? It was Halloween night, and a couple of the guys and I snuck out to pull a prank on those girls, but things – well, they didn’t go as planned.”

“You don’t say.” If there was more than just a little twinkle in Josef’s eye, Mick passed it off as his friend’s amusement at his youthful misadventures.

“Anyway, I screwed up and ended up paying for a broken window with that card.”

“What kind of idiot would take a kid’s baseball card instead of cash?”

“I dunno. This guy was different. He...” Mick looked away from the monitor and narrowed his eyes. “Aw, never mind. It doesn’t matter,” he added, shaking his head and returning to the present.

Mick turned back toward the computer, leaning in toward the screen. “I wonder if this was my card.... it says it was in ‘very good’ condition. Probably not. Mine was a little rough around the edges. Maybe mine was the one that went for a quarter mil in 2005. Or the one for two hundred grand in ’07...”

“Geez, Mick – obsess much? ..... It says right there – there are only nine of them known to still exist. If you lost your alleged card when you were ten –”

“Almost ten.”

“– what makes you think it’s survived all these years? It probably decomposed in some landfill, decades ago.”

“Because the guy who took it from me said it was a good investment. And he looked like he knew what he was talking about. I bet he sold it thirty years ago. Or passed it on to his heirs. He’s gotta be dead by now.”

“There’s a safe bet.”

Mick sighed as he closed the browser window and turned toward Josef, who had settled into one of the leather chairs by the desk.

“Did you ever see him play?”

“George Herman? Yeah. Several times. He had quite the presence – for a human.”

“He was one of a kind.” Mick smiled wistfully.

Josef shrugged. “You said you didn’t keep much from when you were human...”

“Yeah.”

“And this card is still that important to you?”

“I didn’t think it was. But all this looking back, thinking about family, about living in that neighborhood --– it brought back memories.”

~~~~~

A few hours later…

A sliver of a moon hung high above the city, as Josef looked out into the night. It was never truly dark over LA – not anymore, but there was a time…

Josef hadn’t made the connection fifty-plus years earlier. By the time he met the Mick that Coraline had made, all traces of the naïve, young human had been erased and there was nothing to tie the new, sorry excuse for a vampire to that chance encounter so many years prior. It wasn’t until a couple of decades after that “first” introduction that Coraline so proudly made, once Mick started sharing tidbits of his life before – of who he was and where he came from – that the pieces began to fall into place. By that point, however, he had begun finding his place in the vampire community and Josef saw no benefit in reminding his new friend of what he’d left behind. He had no intention of ever revisiting that fateful night in West Adams.

Now, however – now, things had changed. Mick had danced with rediscovered mortality and made his own choice to surrender it. He made the decision on his own terms, and he did it without regret. Ultimately, the card was an all-too-tangible symbol of the seemingly impossible choices Mick had faced in his life – between his two boyhood treasures, between his love for Lilah and his commitment to his friend Ray, and the most significant of all – between mortality and love. That last choice he had made without a moment’s hesitation, Josef reflected. It seemed there was a finer line than he had been willing to admit between the weakness of sentimentality and the strength he now recognized and valued as honor.

Josef was a master of secrets, and he had amused himself with this particular one for decades. He had to admit he wasn’t eager to give that up, but at least he’d enjoy the reveal. It was time.

~~~~~

Two days Later, Josef’s office…

“I got your text. Kind of cryptic – even for you.”

“Mystery is the vampire’s friend.” Josef smiled. “You still interested in getting your hands on a Babe Ruth rookie card? Turns out I know where you can get one. It’s been off the radar. And, it’s going to cost you.”

“I don’t know – how much are we talking about?”

“One dollar.”

“One… dollar??”

“Yes. One particular dollar. A 1922 silver Peace dollar with a Denver mint mark and a heavy ding in the rim above the –”

“Above the ‘E’ in Liberty. How – how could you know?”

“Lucky guess.” Josef smiled impishly.

Mick’s eyes widened and his mouth fell open in silence. Finally, the words tumbled their way out. “It couldn’t… You’re not…”

“Well, I was taller then.” Josef winked and held out a plain, flat mahogany box.

“You son of a bitch!”

“You’re welcome. Number 3.”

Rendered once again speechless, Mick collapsed into the chair behind him. As he slowly lifted the dark, polished lid, Josef added, “I have to warn you, it’s not in the same condition as you remember it.”

Mick glanced up at his friend, puzzled. Unfolding a white silk handkerchief, he found encased in a protective, archival capsule, the card he had carried over 75 years earlier. He would have known it anywhere. But when he turned it over, scrawled across the schedule of the Baltimore News’ “home” and “abroad” games, there was a signature.

He looked up at his friend, who was now grinning broadly.

How??

“I told you I saw him play a couple of times. I might have failed to mention… that I met him, too.”

“And you had him it sign it?!”

“I believe in growing my investments.”

“How long? And why now?” Mick was still in shock, but trying to make sense of this unfathomable revelation.

“Let’s just say, as much as I hedge my bets, I never intended for it to play out like this. But you live long enough and things have a way of cycling back around.”

“You mean fate?”

“I don’t believe in fate.”

Right.”

“So, do we have a deal?”

Mick turned the card over again in his hand, the smile on his face thoughtful and genuine. “What makes you think I still have that dollar?”

“Never a doubt in my mind, Boy-o. You may not carry it around anymore, but you’ve still got it.”

Mick chuckled.

Josef’s face grew serious.

“The card is yours, Mick. No strings.”

“What? No quid pro quo? This thing is damn valuable – and you know it.”

“Yes. I do.”

The friends looked at each other, as three-quarters of a century passed between them. Josef faced a young man whose sense of honor outshined his awkwardness and fear. And Mick saw a polished, inscrutable avenger who had – against all reason – always had his back.

Mick re-wrapped the card and gently placed it back in the box. “How ‘bout you hang onto it?”

Josef raised his eyebrows. “What happened to the Mick who was practically salivating over auction reports a couple of days ago?”

“Somehow knowing where it’s been – and why – that’s enough.”

“Suit yourself. Kid.”

Mick rose from the chair, nodded to his friend and turned to go. Halfway to the door, he stopped suddenly, another realization washing over him.

“You change your mind already?”

“That woman. In the car. She wasn’t….?”

Josef winked. “Like I said, we mostly stayed in.”
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: The Card - PG13 - *new - 7/25/2021*

Post by Lilly »

A little history...

The prices and auction dates that Mick was quoting are real. Here are some links:

5/3/2008 - $517,000 -- https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/b ... es-517000/

2005 - $243,000 -- https://robertedwardauctions.com/auctio ... ookie-card

2007 - $199,750 -- https://robertedwardauctions.com/auctio ... ookie-card

And just 13 years later...

The latest sale was in June of this year, netting a price of over $6,000,000 and setting a new record for the highest sports card price ever realized: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs- ... story.html
It was not signed.

For perspective, Mick's silver dollar is likely worth between $20 and $120 depending on how it's graded. But if you ask Mick? Priceless. :blinksmile:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Talk about priceless! :yahoo: I've been wondering about that rookie card since I first read All Hallow’s Fright lo, these many years ago. :winky: I am absolutely tickled that you shared this follow-up story with us. :rose: Your Mick and Josef ring so true, I can always hear them speaking, and this story is no exception. It's a jewel, and it just makes me so damn happy to find out how Josef finally gave the card back to Mick -- or tried to, at least. :snicker: I kinda hope Mick changes his mind one day and takes it. I can picture it in his office, on top of those old-fashioned file cabinets. :heart: (Maybe after Mick finally gets a good security system, not one of those funky Overstock.com ones! :rolling: )

Thank you, Lilly, from the bottom of my heart, for finishing this story. It makes me smile. A lot. :smooch:

p.s. I have a couple of Liberty silver dollars stashed away, that belonged to my dad (who was born the same year as Mick--1922).
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

It's so nice to hear the boys again. I love that the card is autographed I do hope that Mick changes his mind one day as well. I can see how Mick would have obsessed about it for decades. I certainly have a number of things that I hold on to I have no idea where they are but I have my movie trading cards from the 70's Jaws 2 Star Wars, etc.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

I loved this!!!!!! Talk about a full circle and Josef as always being his all knowing charming self! But I was watching Antique Roadshow and a man had a Mickey Mantle original rookie card and they said the auction cost would be $250k to 500k for a baseball card!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments, Alle, Carol and Ella! :ghug: :rose:

Alle, I'm thrilled that this little follow-up made you smile. :teeth: :hug:

As for Mick ever deciding to take possession of that card? I can't help thinking that -- at long last -- he has a sense that things are where they should be in his life. :blinksmile:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I really enjoyed reading this story. Thank you for helping to keep alive the magic that was Moonlight.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

:hug: Thanks so much for your comment, MLS. :rose:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

Did I miss the first fic? Guess I need to look that up. I can see them have this conversation. My hubby’s uncle knew Babe Ruth. He was a reporter and newspaper photographer in D.C. back in the 30s and 40s. He did have pics and autographs but not the Babe. He was also a White House photographer who knew Roosevelt and Truman. My husband had a very interesting family on both sides. Thanks for the new story. I wish we had more.
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thank for commenting, aolver! The link for the original fic, "All Hallow's Fright" (set when Mick was almost 10) is in my author's note.

How cool that you have a family connection to Babe Ruth! :teeth:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Lilly, this was really quite difficult to read! Because I got hung up giggling on the second line:

“You working on a case? Or are you shopping for a new security system on Overstock.com?”

I would have loved so much for Josef to say that to Mick on the show, sometime near the end after we'd seen all those security failures of Mick's. It is so, so Josef and so very appropriate. (I guess if Mick really did shop for security on Overstock.com, that could explain why his apartment got broken into so very regularly!)

But oh so delightful to get an answer to what I'd always wondered after All Hallow's Fright .... did either of them remember that long ago encounter? It was so natural for everything to come into play after Mick started obsessing about his long-lost rookie card, and looking up how much other cards had been auctioned for. I'm glad Josef finally decided to let the secret go, and that he showed Mick the card. The "new" autograph was such a perfect addition to Mick's treasure! I can't help thinking that at least some part of Mick's decision to keep the silver dollar had to do with Josef's great care of the card. Mick certainly appreciated that Josef had gotten it autographed! It felt like he was actually rather pleased that the card had found such a good home.

But my very favorite bit was Josef's reflection on this, and his own personal growth. I love how this story is tied in to Mick's decision to choose love over mortality, and how that decision affected Josef. It seems Josef may well view sentimentality in a more favorable way from now on, though this is not really in his nature. It's wonderful how Mick's actions and character give Josef so much food for thought.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thank you so much for your comment, Shadow!! :hug: :hearts: I apologize for my late response - I've been on the road a lot lately.

It's crazy how Josef can be so "vocal" at times. That Overstock comment just seemed to write itself. :laugh:

To be honest, I was worried that Josef's reflection on events past would make the piece seem disjointed. I'm so glad it worked for you. We had to find out when Josef put two and two together and why he took his time with the "reveal." To me, he's very much a "need to know" kind of guy, and in his mind Mick just didn't need to know any sooner.

One thing I think I was too vague with, though -- when Josef said, "The card is yours, Mick. No strings," he meant that he wasn't serious about Mick having to give up the dollar. After all Mick had been through, Josef wasn't playing games this time.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Ooh, that last is good to know. I thought that was what Josef meant at the end, but got a bit over analytical wondering if he might have meant "no additional strings." I love that he really did mean no strings at all! (And rereading, it actually seems pretty obvious.) I'm so glad you wrote this sequel! It's very satisfying indeed.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

:rose:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I had seen The Card in active topics but hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. Glad I waited because it gave me the chance to reread All Hallow's Fright, so The Card made much more sense! (Because honestly? I wouldn't have remembered about the baseball card... :blushing: )

Loved this story! And finding out about how Josef kept the card, got it autographed, put 2+2 together that Mick was the young kid who'd impressed him so back then. And Josef impressed with who Mick had become now, as a vampire.

Maybe one day Mick will take the card so he can look at it now and again and reminisce. I don't think he could sell it though, even if he wanted to. Kind hard to explain it's provenance, wouldn't it be? :chin:

Oh, besides the "Overstock.com" line that made me grin, so did the: "He’s gotta be dead by now.”

“There’s a safe bet.” conversation. :snicker:

Thanks so much for letting us know how this ended, after all these years, Lilly! :flowers: It sure made me smile! :cloud9:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.

Return to “Lilly's Office”