Ella713
Courtesan

Music to Die For Rated PG

Post by Ella713 »

Moonlight Fan Fiction
Music to Die For
Rated PG
By Ella713

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Josef stumbles upon a young guitar player who cannot get out of his contract

"I don't know about you two but I'm ready for a drink" Carl said standing up and stretching.
"That sounds like a great idea Carl. Where are we headed?" Mick asked grabbing his jacket.
"I'm in the mood for some music as well. Let's head to the Rhythm Room and see what they got going on" Josef said calling for Harold his personal driver. They pulled up to the club and saw that there was a line forming that meant absolutely nothing to Josef who walked right into the club without anyone stopping him.
"Is it always this way for him?" Carl whispered to Mick who nodded his head rolling his eyes. They were seated at the best table and they placed their drink orders. When the place was filled a young man no more than 25 at best came out on stage.
"Hi, my name is Luther Rollins and this first song is called Gone Gone Again" He sat down and tuned his guitar then began to play the guitar the way no one could. That coupled with a booming voice that could be heard throughout the club with no mic. His cord progression was so complex that the audience was stunned. After the song was over he stood and immediately went into a bluesy rock song that had everyone dancing and clapping. Luther played and sang non-stop for over 2 hours and when the set was finished due to the applause he came out for one encore.
"Thank you very much Los Angeles!" Luther said with a sad grin and walked off stage.
"That kid is outstanding!!" Mick said still clapping.
"I think I want to dive into the music business just to sign that guy!" Josef said quickly getting up and talking to the club manager. Carl and Mick saw the manager lead Josef backstage.

"Hey Luther, someone wants to talk to you" The manager said showing Josef into the backstage area.
"Hello Luther. My name is Josef Kostan and I have to say I've never heard anyone play the way you do! You are an amazing musician" He said. Luther stared at Josef in shock. Was this guy saying he liked his music? This guy used to be the freaking President of the United States!
"Wow! T...thanks Mr. Kostan. That's nice of you to say" He stammered nervously.
"How long you been playing?" Josef asked.
"About 4 years......I mean professionally"
"Has anyone approached you about recording?" Josef asked.
"N....no....you see I already signed a contract" He said looking scared all of a sudden.
"Who with? If you're not happy with them I can surely get you out of the contract"
"This contract is really binding. I'm gonna have to say no" Luther said standing up and walking towards the door. Josef studied the kid. He didn't just look scared, he looked terrified.
"Okay, but listen here's my card. If you need anything just call. I really can help you" Josef said walking away. When Josef had closed the door behind him Luther looked at the card.
"I don't think you can help" He whispered to himself.

"Did you just sign your next protegee?" Mick joked.
"He's already under contract and whoever he's signed with has the kid too freaked out to talk to anyone. He's really scared". Josef explained.
"Who's he signed with? I mean you know pretty much everyone in the biz"
"He wouldn't say. All he did say was that his contract was really binding. Maybe he signed with some small outfit in Mississippi. They probably talked him into some BS contract where they get 90% and he gets 10%. You know how the music industry is".
"Why do you think it's in Mississippi?" Carl asked.
"It's on the back of the program" He said flipping it over to see a picture of Luther and small bio. "Born and raised in Clarksdale Mississippi, picked up his first guitar at age 11 and began writing songs for his church" Josef read. "Now all I have to do is find out who signed the kid and get him out of his contract" Josef said with a smile.
"Clarksdale?" Mick said with frown. "You do know what Clarksdale is known for don't you?"
"Uh.....I'm thinking absolutely nothing other than Luther Rollins at the moment" Josef joked. Carl chuckled and shook his head.
"The Crossroads Josef" Carl said. Josef simply stared at them in confusion.
"Josef! Really?" Mick said. "The story goes that if you go to a certain spot in Clarksdale you'll reach a fork in the road where You ask for what you desire more than anything and the Devil appears and grants you your wish. You sign a contract basically signing over your soul to him and you can't get out of the contract once you sign"
"Bullshit" Josef said.
"The legend says that Robert Johnson met the Devil on the crossroads, who then took his guitar and tuned it. The Devil played a few songs and then returned the guitar to Johnson, giving him mastery of the instrument in exchange for his soul, Johnson was able to create the blues for which he became famous." Mick said.
"We personally know Lucifer and that story doesn't sound familiar at all"
"Well that's the story in any case but if it isn't a Lucifer contract perhaps someone is making him think it is" Carl said.
"And that's the reason why we should look into this" Josef said.
Last edited by Ella713 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Re: Music to Die For Rated PG

Post by Ella713 »

Luther packed up and went back to the cheap lodgings he had booked. He laid down on the squeaky bed with the card still in his hand. Maybe this guy really could help him he thought. The last guy who offered to help him was killed in a freak car accident, but Luther knew it wasn't an accident.

He had just turned 21 and had been trying to learn the guitar since he was 11 years old, but no matter how long or how hard he practiced he wasn't nothing more than adequate. But something kept urging to him to keep trying. One night after playing so hard his fingertips began to bleed he made up his mind, even though he didn't believe it would help but he drove to the infamous Crossroads with his guitar in hand.
"I will give you anything just to be the greatest guitar player ever! I don't have no money, but whatever you want it's yours!" He screamed out into the darkness but all he heard were crickets and wind. "Figures" He said and turned around to get back in his car.
"You have a deal" A voice called out to him. Luther stopped suddenly and looked around.
"Who said that?" He asked. Then he saw a shape appear out of the darkness.
"Is this what you truly desire?"
"....Yeah" He said bravely staring at the figure in front of him.
"Give me your hands" The creature demanded. Luther slowly took out his hands and held them out. His hands were grabbed and he felt a freezing cold sensation that went up his arms, then he felt something prick his wrist. "You will now be able to play and create music that the world has never heard before, but remember YOU ARE MINE!" The creature wailed and disappeared. When he looked down he saw a tiny scar on his wrist above the his palm, that looked to be lightening shaped. He was marked......he thought as he picked up his guitar and tried to play a song that had been alluding him for a long time. His fingers picked the cords easily. He even closed his eyes as his fingers did what they wanted. He played everything from Jimmy Hendrix to Eddie Van Halen with no problems. He smiled and hopped in his car ready to pack his bags. He was leaving Mississippi forever! As he passed the "You are now leaving Mississippi" sign, Luther screamed "Hello California!" at the top of his lungs.

"Where were you mister?" Beth asked when Mick walked into the apartment.
"Josef, Carl and I went to the Rhythm Room for a drink and heard this amazing blues guitar player. I'm telling you babe, this kid made all the great guitar players look like amateurs!"
"Really? Even your beloved Tommy Emmanuel?" She joked.
"Even him. But get this, Josef decides he wants to represent this kid of course, the but the kid turns him down because he 's already under contract. A binding contract he said"
"Like a I sold my soul to the devil kind of contract?" Beth asked seeing where the conversation was going.
"Yeah. And it turns out this kid is from Mississippi"
"Do you believe in the legend?"
"I don't know......I mean in a way it may be something Lucifer did in the past and the story just got amplified....but the way he played the guitar was like.....nothing anyone had ever heard before" He tried to explain.
"He could just be a prodigy, you know they do exist" She said.
"Yeah. It could be, but Josef wants to look into it because he said the kid was scared to sign with anyone and if he's that scared then maybe we should take a look"
"Well if he's as good as you say why hasn't anyone heard of him. I mean in this age of cell phone videos, someone would have posted this guy playing before"
"You're right! No one would ever keep talent like that a secret" Mick said logging onto his computer and typing in Luther's name. A few sites popped up showing Luther at venues down south.He and Beth watched the performance and looked at each other.
"And you said this guy was the best you ever heard?" Beth said thinking they were looking at someone else.
"That's him babe. That's who we just saw and he didn't sound anything like that!" He said pointing at the screen watching Luther struggle with Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water.
"How long ago was that show?" She asked "Oh, well this was over 4 years ago. Maybe he found someone who taught him"
"Babe take it from a musician. Those kind of skills come from years and years of practice! It comes from blood sweat and actual tears. No one wakes up one day playing intricate cords like he did".
"Looks like you stumbled onto an actual case" She said smiling.

Josef had every intention of going back to the Rhythm Room to catch Luther play again so he was surprised when he received a phone call from Luther himself while he was on his way to work.
"Mr. Kostan this is Luther Rollins and I was hoping we could have a talk about what you were saying last night"
"Where are you right now?"
"I'm at the Comfort Suite on Mercer" He replied.
"I'm about 8 minutes from there. Meet me outside " Josef said and hung up.

Josef's limo pulled up outside the hotel and he opened the door.
"Luther, get in" Josef said and just as Luther was walking towards the limo a truck ran a red light and smashed right into Josef's stretch limo!

Luther stood frozen at the scene in front of him. Soon people started rushing towards the mangled limo. He saw the driver's door open and a very large man slowly got out, then he checked to see if Josef was alright. Josef soon stepped out of the limo and looked at the driver inside the truck who appeared to be unconscious.
"Mr. Kostan are you okay?" Luther said running over to him.
"Yeah. I'm fine. It appears that it's going to take a lot more than a semi crashing into my car to get rid of me" Josef joked.
"I never should have involved you. I'm sorry"
"Don't worry about me" He said pulling out his mobile to phone Mick. "Hey Mick, can you meet me at the Comfort Suites on Mercer?"
"Why what's up?"
"Luther called me to meet with him and as I pulled up a very large semi truck rammed into my limo"
"What?!! How's Harold?" He asked
"Harold is in one piece amazingly so, but we need to focus on the why this happened"
"I think I already know why. The legend is true and Lucifer is behind this, or at least one of his demon helpers"
"Great......we'll have to think of something, because I'm not going to keep replacing limos" Josef said hanging up as another limo pulled along side him.
Last edited by Ella713 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Mick drove to the Comfort Suites and saw that police had arrived. He walked over to an officer he knew.
"Hey Paul, what's going on?"
"That guy over there fell asleep at the wheel and ran a red light. Josef's car is totaled but as you can see, he had a spare" He joked. "I'm going over his log sheet and he had been driving for over 20 hours straight. It seems his company is under staffed at the moment" He said writing everything down.
"I'm just glad no one was hurt" Mick said looking at the squashed limo in front of him as he walked over to Josef. "So Josef Kostan lives to fight another day" He joked.
"You'd think everyone would know this by now" Josef joked back. "So, what do you think we should do?"
"Well we can't let the contract stand. This kid's life is hell"
"And that's the purpose of a devil's contract. The only person who wins is the devil....do you think Gabe would want to pull a Daniel Webster?"
"That's an interesting idea" Mick said slowly.
"I'm sorry but what are you guys talking about?" Luther asked.
"We're going to take the devil to court" Josef said with a grin.

Gabriel was just walking into his apartment when he saw his dad and Josef sitting in his living room.
"What's going on guys?" He said as he laid his briefcase down and undid his tie.
"We want you to take on a case" Mick said pointing to Luther.
"oh! Hello. I'm Gabriel St. John"
"Luther Rollins" He said holding out his hand. Gabriel took hold and saw that he was marked.
"You signed the contract?" Gabriel asked.
"Yeah" Luther said sadly. Damn Lucifer! Gabriel thought to himself shaking his head slowly.
"How long ago did you sign?"
"4 years ago"
"How much money have you made?"
"Nothing really. I mean I'm not famous or anything and the contract pretty much takes all that I make" Luther explained.
"Well that's a new spin. In the past the recipient gets money along with fame, which justifies the selling of ones soul. Someone has to get something that's comparable to giving the soul up, but you're getting nothing in return" Gabriel said.
"Just the ability to play the guitar" Luther said sadly. Gabriel stared at him for a moment.
"I think I may have a way to break your contract" He said. Luther stood up in surprise.
"Are you serious? You can do that?"
"I think I can" Gabriel said smiling.
"You'll have to stay with us. Trust me, it's much safer for you here" Mick said.
"That's a grand offer and all, but after what happened today I don't want anybody else getting hurt"
"Let us worry about that" Mick said.
"I had Harold go back to your motel and pick up your things. He should be here right now" Josef said as they heard a knock on the door.
"Good evening Mr. St. John. Mr. Kostan wanted me to pick these up" He said handing over the guitar case and a duffel bag. "Will you be needing anything else?" Harold asked.
"No. Thank you Harold. I'll see you in the morning" Josef said. "Mick I need a drink" He said walking over to his bar. "What about you kid?" Luther nodded and Josef poured drinks for everyone.
"So how are you guys going to help me? I mean taking the devil to court? Is that even a thing?"
"Yes it is, but you have to know how" Mick answered.
"And do you?"
"I do" Gabriel said. "Trust me"
Last edited by Ella713 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Zoe walked in looking exhausted.
"I don't even want to know what's going on in here!" She said looking at all of them and walking towards her office.
"I'm taking Lucifer to court" Gabriel said with smile as he saw her stop walking and turn around.
"I'm sorry, I must be really tired because I could have sworn you just said you were taking the devil to court?" She said.
"That's exactly what we're doing" Mick said.
'What for? I mean.........is this even possible?" She stammered.
"It's a contract dispute"
"Who sold their soul?" She asked as they pointed at the one person Zoe did not know.
"I did" Luther said holding up his hand. Zoe rolled her eyes.
"God please don't tell me it was to play guitar!" She said shaking her head. "Lucifer's making out like a bandit with that contract crap! When will people learn?"
"So in any case, I'm going to get him out of it" Gideon piped in
"How? You do know those contracts are finite right?"
"The devil's in the details apparently and I think I found one that will help my defense".
"Well, you'll have to tell me about it when it's over, considering you don't end up in hell" She said walking to her office and shutting the door.
"I really thought she'd be all over this" Mick said in shock.
"She'll be back in 5 minutes" Gabe said with a grin, knowing his wife would not be able to stay away.
"What's going on? You all talk like you deal with this stuff all the time!" Luther said looking around at everyone becoming frightened.
"So, you can deal with the fact that Josef and I are vampires but y...." Mick started to say as Luther jumped up out of his seat.
"You're what?!!!" He screamed looking around for an escape.
"Luther!" Gabriel said and when Luther turned Gabriel stared at him. "We don't mean you any harm and we honestly are trying to help you get out of this contract, so stop freaking out and just have a seat" Gabe said calmly and Luther sat down.
"That was my bad. I totally forgot that Jasper keeps a tight lid on his territories" Mick said.
"No problem dad, we'll just wipe that bit out of his memory" Gabe replied as Zoe walked back into the room a little over 5 minutes later.
"Ok, I've been thinking about your....case and has this guy received anything?"
"No he hasn't, so I'm going to pursue the most common pursuit. Bait and switch. The soul in question is much more valuable than what was received. Other than the ability to play guitar, he doesn't make enough money from the transaction to warrant the deal. Surely Lucifer is not this desperate that he's welshing on his favors".
"When you think about how any person can become rich and famous simply by having a YouTube channel, I'm guessing it's been slim pickings for him" Josef said.
"Which is why Lucifer went this route....Luther, is there a time ending this contract?"
"He told me 7 years, but then said "but let's see how things go" Luther said.
"Well that's fairly ominous" Zoe said. "Why would you do this? Just to play guitar you sold your soul!"
"I don't really have any talent to speak of, and everyone that I've seen who took up guitar is doing real well for themselves. I just thought, if I could have it just for a little while I wouldn't care about the other, then people started to die and I knew I'd blew it" he said.
"What do you mean people dying?" Gabriel asked suddenly
"Well, I was in Memphis for a spell and played a couple of gigs and this record producer wanted to sign me, so I said hell yes and signed but two days later, that guy was found on the side of the road with his head bashed in, then I went to Vegas and 2 guys wanted me to play onstage with them. They were offering me $5 grand a night then while they were setting up for a soundcheck they both were electrocuted. That's when I knew how binding this contract was" He said sadly. "So I just figured that I was never going to be a big time guitar player and was just playing wherever I could for enough money for a hotel room and a little food"
"Well Zoe, looks like you're going to have to ring the devil again" Mick said. "Let's just hope he's in the mood to talk because if he's not.........."
"Looks like Brian will have to make a call of his own" Gabriel said standing up.
"I hate that asshole!" Josef sighed. "Well Zoe, go ahead". Zoe grabbed a large piece of chalk and began to draw the ancient symbol and speak the language of the evil. Suddenly the light flickered and went out.
"Well, what do we have here" A voice called out.
"Show yourself Lucifer!" Josef demanded.
"What do you want Abaddon? It is not my time!"
"We need to speak with you about your damn contracts!" Gabriel said in anger.
"You summon me to speak of contracts? I have not had a contract in 100 years" He said with a grin remembering how much fun they were. He glanced over at Zoe and frowned. "I see you have The Historian with you. Are you hear to record my destruction?" He teased.
"I wish!" Zoe replied dismissively.
"Someone is offering contracts for souls in your name and I'm sure you know who it is" Gabriel said.
"A contract is a contract no matter who issues it. I can do nothing" He said with a wave of his hand. "Humans are so tedious. The Father gave them souls and look how quick they are to toss aside their gifts".
'It was done through deceit that this contract was fulfilled. And if as you say, you have not been involved for 100 years, then that means that all of those contracts are null and void" Gabriel said. Lucifer frowned at the idea of losing who knew how many souls.
"I will find out who has done this" He said and vanished from their sight.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Luther stared at everyone in surprise.
"You just called up the devil and he came? Who are you guys!?" He asked looking at all of them.
"We'll explain all of that later" Gabriel replied. "Now this contract....A null and void contract is a formal agreement that is illegitimate and, thus, unenforceable from the moment it was created. Such a contract never comes into effect because it misses essential elements of a properly designed legal contract or violates contract laws altogether which this one has done".
"Can Lucifer try to alter the contract?" Zoe asked.
"No. He really screwed himself with this nonsense because it can't be changed. So whoever this demon was impersonating Lucifer has more than likely caused him to lose a lot of souls". Josef said with a grin.

Luther picked up his guitar and began to play a tune he had been working on for a while. His eyes were closed and his fingers gently glided over the strings.
"That's so beautiful! Is that one of your songs?" Zoe asked. He suddenly opened his eyes and saw that everyone was looking at him.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disturb anybody" He said
"Not at all man. That was a great tune" Mick said.
"Thanks! That was something I started a few weeks ago. It's titled In Too Deep" He said with a shy smile.
"Let's hear some more" Zoe said loving the hypnotic melody. Then Luther started to sing. His booming baritone filled the entire apartment.
"Hey! Hang on a minute!" Gabriel said. "Is your voice a part of the contract?" He asked.
"No. I could always sing, but I felt I needed something more"
Mick looked at Gabriel and followed where he was going.
"Luther, with a voice like that you could have easily won American Idol!" Mick said.
"And that puts a definite nail in Lucifer's contract! It only applies to a guitar career, not a singing career!" Gabriel said.
"Luther, I would like to sign you now for a singing contract only!" Josef said pulling out his mobile and getting the ball running. Luther hesitated. He didn't want to see any of them get hurt trying to help him.
"Trust me" Josef said. "Hello David! Josef Kostan here, I want to you to meet me at Kostan Towers today if you can" He said. "Great! Look forward to seeing you!" He said hanging up the call. "That was my friend David Geffin. Well known record producer and finder of talent"
"You know David Geffin?" Mick asked in surprise.
"We did some business a while ago" Josef said casually. "He's going to love you Luther"

In an hour security called to let them know David had arrived. Josef opened up the door.
"Luther I want you to sing. Right now" Josef said. David got off the elevator and heard the singing. He froze for a moment then walked hurriedly towards where it was coming from. He peaked in and waved to Josef while standing in the doorway mesmerized by Luther's deep voice. When Luther had finished he walked right over to him.
"What's your name kid?" He asked.
"Luther Rollins sir". David looked over at Josef who was smiling.
"Okay Josef, what are trying to do?"
"Trying to get you to hear the best singer you're ever going to have under contract" Josef said with a wink.
"Well, I'm definitely interested. Hell I'm more than interested! Kid, you're going to be huge!" He said walking over and shaking his hand. Luther shook his hand tentatively at first, waiting to see what would happen. "Let's talk numbers Josef" He said walking over to him and they began to whisper to each other. When they were done David walked back over. "How does 6 million sound?"
Luther stared at the man. Did he just say 6 million dollars?
"You want to give me 6 million dollars?" He asked.
"Well, you're gonna have to make a record to get that money" He chuckled.
"Ah....yeah...Yes!" He said jumping up off the sofa.
"Here's my card. Meet me at this address tomorrow morning. 10am. Got it?" At Luther's nod he walked back over to Josef. "As always Josef, it's a pleasure" He said leaving the apartment.
"Something tells me you've done this before Josef" Mick said with grin.
"Just a few times"
"Who?"
"Off the top of my head; Macy Gray, Bruno Mars, Coldplay, Sade, Dave Matthews, Montell Jordan, REM and The Black Keys" Josef said casually as everyone looked at him in shock. "To name a few"
Last edited by Ella713 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Akem hid in the shadows for he knew that Lucifer was after him. He didn't see what the big deal was.
His job was to get as many mortal souls as he could and he had delivered. So what he fibbed. He did whatever he could to capture those souls. Hadn't Lucifer himself done the exact same thing since the beginning? He chuckled to himself thinking how easy it was to get them to hand over their very souls for trinkets like power or wealth. And he loved hearing their screams when they finally made their way to damnation. All them begging and pleading for their life. The life they traded willingly. Lucifer would understand.

Josef drove Luther over to David Geffen's studio.
"Are you ready Luther?" Josef asked.
"Yeah, I'm ready" He replied.
"Let's talk about a couple of things before you go in there. First, you're going to be famous. Second, you're going to be wealthy. And I know you're going to be tempted to get all the flashy stuff that other musicians have, but the difference between you and them is that you know first hand what can happen when you get trapped in that world. All those other people don't know what's waiting for them when their lives are over. You do! So be wise in all things. And if you feel overwhelmed call me. Got it?"
"What about Lucifer? Is it really all over?" He asked.
"Let us worry about Lucifer. Just go in there and show David what you can do and no guitar playing!"
"I don't think I'll ever touch another guitar in my life" He said stepping out of the limo.
"Good luck Luther. Make me proud" Josef said as he drove away.

"Akem! Here you are! One would think you were hiding from me" Lucifer said in a sinister voice.
"My King I didn't know you were looking for me" He lied.
"I've heard what you've been up to! Dammed contracts!! How dare you!" Lucifer roared. Akem fell to his knees with his head bowed.
"I collected many souls for you my King. So many" He said in fear.
"The Angels are taking issue with your methods! Those souls will be reclaimed because of your idiocy!" He yelled as he slapped Akem hard across the face. "Allar!! take him to the mines!" He said as he watched Akem try to free himself from the stronger demon's grip.
"No!! I will do better!! I will!!!!" He continued to scream as he was being taken away.

The End
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Moonlight Fan Fiction
Music to Die For Part II
Rated PG
By Ella713

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Luther Rollins gains fame and fortune.

Luther walked around his large penthouse apartment and sighed. He couldn't believe that his album had certified platinum and he was nominated for five Grammy's! He wished his folks were alive so they could see how well he'd done. He had everything anyone could hope for, but he was careful. Every time a woman tried to seduce him, or any time a sleazy agent offered him drugs he always remembered what had Josef said. He knew. He had seen Lucifer with his own eyes and he had a hard time forgetting the image. He would be a choir boy for the rest of his life if it meant never having to see the Devil again!

He was jarred out of his thoughts when his phone began to ring.
"Hello"
"Hey Luther man! I've been trying to get a hold of you all day!" His bass player Andrew said.
"I'm sorry. I turned my phone off last night so I could get some rest and didn't turn it on until a little while ago" He replied.
"Well you gotta get down to Larry's, they're setting up for the photos on the new Lp"
"Yikes! I totally forgot about that! I'm on my way" He said quickly hanging up and putting on his shoes.

It took him half and hour to get across town, but he parked his car in the first space he saw and ran inside.
"Finally!" Brett said adjusting his camera. "We're going to have to hurry before the sun sets" He said as the make up gal ran around making sure everyone looked their best. She had her brush ready as she checked out Luther and saw he needed no touch up. All the others in his band, partied until the wee hours of the morning and they all looked like Walking Dead. But Luther looked bright eyed and bushy tailed.
"You look perfect Luther!" She said. "You all can take a lesson from him! Clean living and he looks like a healthy man! Y'all look like drag queens!" She said scolding the other members and waving her make up brush at them.
"You can't fault us for having a few drinks" Tommie their drummer said.
"You smell like a distillery! All of you!" She smiled.

After two hours of photos they were ready to call it quits.
"Okay, now we know you have this squeaky clean image you wanna sell, but you have to come to the party David's throwing the band" Tommie said. Luther didn't really want to go because he knew what kinds of things went on at those parties.
"Come on dude! People are starting to think that you're hiding something. Are you?"
"Nope. I just don't want to get caught up in that aspect of the music business. The drugs, the groupies. It's not me"
"First of all, those are the very reasons any dude gets into the music business" Randy his guitar player piped in.
"Look, I'll go but only for an hour, then I'm heading out" He said finally although he was thinking that he shouldn't......but a quick meet and greet couldn't hurt, or so he thought.

Luther pulled up to the chic downtown bar and tossed his keys to the valet while fans galore began snapping photos on their mobiles all while screaming his name. Luther waved politely and gave them a wide grin before walking into the exclusive club. He saw his band mates right away.
"How's the crowd tonight?" Randy asked.
"Manageable but let's just be happy that they can't get in. All those girls freaking out about us is creepy" Luther said.
"Oh come one man! So you're telling us that you don't get excited that some of the sexiest ladies in Los Angeles want to throw themselves at you? Or are you into dudes?"
"Neither. I just want to play music and live my life. We've all seen once great bands dissolve because of the fame and I'd rather not be just another rock band cliche and neither should you" He chuckled as he went to the bar to order a drink. While he was at the bar, the most beautiful woman that any of them would ever see again walked over to their table.
"I just wanted to say I really love your music" She said with a smile that made the heart race.
"T...thanks" Tommie replied nervously.
"Do you think I could bother you for an autograph?" She said reaching into her purse and pulling out a pen and a small writing pad.
"Sure. What's your name?"
"Angelique" She said shyly as they all passed the pad around for each of them to sign. Luther walked up with his drink in hand.
"Hey Luther this is Angelique and she's a big fan of our music" Tommie said proudly. "She wants an autograph"
"Oh sure thing" Luther said placing his drink down and signing the pad. "There you are! Thanks for listening" He said taking his seat but noticing that his drink wasn't where he had placed it. He glanced at the woman who was putting the notepad back inside her purse.
"Thank you for this. I really appreciate it" She said walking away knowing that all eyes were on her.
"Hot damn! That woman was beautiful!" Randy said still staring at her.
Luther continued to stare at his drink. Why did he have the feeling that someone had placed something in his drink?
"What's up with you Luther? You look spooked" His bass player Andrew asked.
"Nothing. I just decided that I really wanted a beer than a gin and tonic" He said signalling for the server and placing his order.
"You're a strange dude Luther. Did you not think that maybe one of your band mates might want that drink?" Tommie laughed.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

After two beers Luther called it a night much to the bemoaning of his band, but they all needed to focus on the upcoming tour. He walked into his apartment and quickly locked his door. Even though his penthouse had top notch security, he was still on edge every evening and he couldn't get that woman out of his mind. He was definitely sure she had put something into his drink. He pulled out his mobile and called Josef.
"Luther! It's great hearing from you! How is everything going?"
"I'm probably being overly paranoid, but I went out for a drink with the band and a beautiful woman came over to our table to ask for an autograph and as I was signing, I could have sworn she put something in my drink" He said.
"A beautiful woman tried to rufie you? How beautiful was she?"
"She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life?" He said.
"Luther I'm going to give you some advice that you should take to your grave. Run very fast away from all women that have that kind of beauty. It's always a trick and Lucifer just loves to dress up his schemes in very pretty wrapping." Josef said seriously.
"That's what I was thinking, but then I thought I was being silly about it all"
"Don't ignore that feeling you get when something's off. Odds are you were correct in your thinking. But If I were you, I would just tell your band that you won't go out for drinks. There's just too much that could go wrong in that environment"
"You're right Mr. Kostan. Thanks for the advice and I'm sorry I bothered you"
"No worries. You can call me anytime. I mean it" Josef said hanging up but still thinking about Luther's situation. "Damn it Lucifer!" He said to himself.

Luther awoke the next day to hear that their band manager had overdosed and the record company was sending someone over to meet with the band today so he quickly got up and showered and ate a onion bagel. He arrived at the same time as his bass player.
"Can you believe this crap?" Andrew said. "Right as we're about to go on tour! How could Max do this to us?" He complained.
"I didn't even know he used drugs" Luther said with heavy sigh.
"Well let's go meet the new manager and hopefully he won't be another drug user"
"We should demand a drug test just to be sure. I mean he's going to be working for us" Luther replied wondering if they could add this to their contract for all people who worked for them as they their way in.
"Great you guys are here" David Geffen's assistant said walking over to them. "We need to make a very public statement about this" He said walking them into the conference room and sitting at the head of the very long table was the woman from last night. Luther and Andrew froze in their tracks.
"What is she doing here?" Luther asked.
"Oh, that's Angelique Doring she's your new manager" He said. Angelique stood up"
"It's lovely to see you again. I'm sorry about the circumstances" She said.
"Why didn't you tell us that you worked for Geffen?" Luther asked becoming very wary of this woman.
"Wait, you guys already know her?" The assistant asked.
"Yeah, we were at O'Sullivan's last night and she walked over to get an autograph" Luther said staring directly at the woman.
"Well Angelique is the best in the business. She worked exclusively for Bruno Mars but wanted to branch out".
"We would like her to take a drug test" Andrew said. "This is a big tour for us, we can't have another overdose associate with the band"
"Fair enough. Can you make this happen Daniel?" She asked the assistant.
"I'll take care of it. Now lets work on this statement" he said opening his folder.

After two hours they had come up with the perfect statement expressing their sadness for the passing of their manager but also letting everyone know that they did not believe in recreational drug usage and it had no part in their band their music or their lives and Angelique made sure it was on every news outlet there was.
"Now let's talk about this tour" Angelique said. "David said there's been interest in Europe. So far you have request from England, France, Spain and Greece, so we'll work on gathering more information about venues and dates" She said getting up to let someone in who was pushing a cart of drinks. "Who wants a Bloody Mary? I makes a great one" She said getting up and began mixing the drinks. She handed the first one to Luther who shook his head no. "What's wrong? You don't like alcohol?" She asked raising her eyebrows.
"I don't mind it, I just don't want any at this moment" Luther said sternly looking at the woman suspiciously.
"You can't get him to change his mind Angelique so don't even try! Trust me, we all have tried" Andrew said with a grin.
"I just like having my wits about me at all times" Luther said finally.
"Well you be you Luther. Let's discuss the record release party next week. It's being held at Playhouse Hollywood and Rolling Stone and Billboard have RSVP'd so this is a big deal. So think about how you want your fans to see you". She said. Luther thought about what she said for a long time. Andrew leaned over to him.
"So are we still on for tonight? Dinner with my sister and her best friend? They're visiting this week. You promised" He said.
"Oh, right. Yeah we're still on" Luther said nodding.
"Great! 6:30pm. Don't be late" He said writing down his new address.
Last edited by Ella713 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Luther pulled up to a luxury high rise and parked in front. He walked up to the security desk and gave the guard his information.
"He said to go on up. He's on the 37th floor. 37D" The guard said. The place was gorgeous. Very open and airy and devoid of clutter. Minimalist and Luther loved it. After growing up in the South where every home was jammed pack with everything from Jesus statues to fake Civil War memorial plates, he swore that when he got his own place it would have next to nothing in it. Just the staples. He knocked on the door and saw a woman who looked a lot like Andrew so she had to be the sister.
"Hello I'm ....."
"Luther Rollins! I know who you are! I love the new song. Andy just played it for us" She said as she let him in.
"Thanks" he said holding out his hand.
"I'm Diane if Andy didn't tell you already which I can tell from your expression he didn't. And this is my best friend Lizzie Stone" She said pointing to a beautiful honey blonde goddess.
"Hi" Luther said staring at the young woman nervously.
"I really like your band" Lizzie said with a shy smile.
"Well come, let's sit down I'm starving!!" Andrew yelled from the living room. "Diane made my favorite meal!"
"What's that?" Luther asked.
"Buttermilk Fried Chicken, scalloped potatoes, and buttered corn with biscuits" Diane said with a smile.
"That sounds delicious! I haven't had anything like that since I left Mississippi" He said taking a seat at the beautiful carved wood table. Lizzie took the chair next to Luther so Diane and Andrew could continue walking down memory lane.
"So how did you and Diane meet?" He asked as he took a bite of the fried chicken.
"We both were working in the same clothing store during college and we got along so well we stayed in contact after graduation...and well here we are" She laughed. "What about Andrew? How'd you two meet?"
"I placed an ad looking for backing musicians to start a band and Andrew was actually the first to respond. We met, he played some of his music and it was good, then we met the others and decided to get to work right away. We locked ourselves in Randy's apartment and hammered away on some new songs and the rest as they say is history" He said.
"So do you play an instrument?" She asked.
"No I don't. Not really anyway" He said casually.
"He's lying!" Andrew said with a grin. "Luther is the greatest guitarist that no one will hear"
"Why not?"
"No real reason.......I just wanted to try something new is all"
"Do you miss it?"
"Uh.......not really.....I mean sometimes" He stammered. "Hey, let's talk about something else. What do you think of Los Angeles?"
"It's kind of......it's just so big" She said.
"Sounds like you don't like it"
"Well, I love my town. Yeah it's small and it's not one of those quirky cool small towns. Just a small place where hard working families are trying to to etch out a little piece of the American dream"
"There's nothing wrong with liking that. I came from a small town too and I miss it a lot" Luther said.
"Hey Luther, Diane and I were going to head up to the cabin tomorrow, you want to come with us?"
"That sounds great Andrew! I'd love to!" He said thinking that getting away from the city sounded like a great idea.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

The next day they pulled up to Andrew's amazing cabin about two hours outside of Los Angeles.
"Wow! Andy this is fantastic!!" Luther said getting out of the car and stretching his long body.
"Yeah, it was the first thing I bought. I needed a place to escape to. To wind down" He said. "Come on, let me show you the house" He said walking up the stairs and opening the door.
"I love this!!" Diane squealed laying her overnight bag down. "You certainly did well for yourself Andrew! Mom and dad would be so proud of you"
"Best of all no one is around so no fans and no paparazzi. Just total quiet". Andrew sighed walking out to his back deck and stretching out on his hammock and closing his eyes.
"I tell you that guy can sleep for days uninterrupted" Diane said rolling her eyes. "Let's grab a room"
Luther looked around and saw a huge kitchen that was fully stocked with everything. He grabbed a beer then opened the door and sat in a rocker on the front porch.

Luther opened his eyes and saw it was dark outside and he was still sitting in the rocker. He felt lightheaded and woozy.
"Now all we have to do is get him to play the guitar" He heard Andrew saying. "Lucifer will be so pleased"
"Take him inside" He heard another voice say. He moved his head slowly and saw Angelique standing over him but her face was hideous now. Andrew pulled him out of the chair and threw him over his shoulder and laid him on sofa.
"He can't hold a guitar in his present condition. Let's give him a few more moments" Angelique said as her and Andrew and Lizzie stared speaking a language he had never heard before. He slowly reached in his pocket for his mobile phone. He pressed the number 1 which he knew would contact Josef Kostan.
He heard Josef say "Hello. Luther? Luther!" But Luther passed out again.

"Mick I need your help! Luther just called me but didn't say anything. I think something's wrong" Josef said.
"It probably was a butt dial" Mick said
"With demons talking in the background?" Josef said.
"I'll have Brian check out Luther's apartment" Mick said. After a few moments Brian returned.
"He's not there" Brian said. "I'll get Logan" He said and disappeared. He reappeared with Logan at his side and took them all to Josef's.
"Okay, what's so important that I needed to be kidnapped?" Logan joked.
"I need you find out where this call came from as quickly as you can" Josef said handing over his phone.
"I need a computer" Logan said as Josef took him to his office.
"What's going on?" Brian asked.
"Have you heard of the Crossroads legend?" Mick asked.
"Who sold their soul?" Brian said hardly believing that people were still falling for that crap.
"A young guitar player named Luther Rollins. Gabriel did a good job of rendering that contract null and void but only if Luther never picked up a guitar ever again. As you know Luther became very famous as a singer, but Josef said Luther called him but he heard demons speaking in the background"
"You think they're going to try and get him to play guitar?"
"Big Bear Lake!!" Logan said coming out of Josef's office. "Your caller called from Big Bear Lake. This address if you can find it. Its pretty dense out there".
"Thanks Logan! Let's go Mick" Josef said as he and Mick vanished.
"Can you take me back home Brian?" Logan asked.

"What is that phone doing out?" Angelique said suddenly.
"It probably fell out when I picked him up" Andrew said.
"I can't wait to get him to Lucifer!" Lizzie said. "You took too long" She accused.
"He wasn't falling for the normal stuff, but we have him now" Andrew said. "Look he's coming around! Lizzie pass him the guitar and ask him to play I'm Home Now. Tell him it's your favorite song". Luther groaned and opened his eyes. He saw Andrew, Diane and Lizzie standing over him.
"Are you alright?" Lizzie asked.
"Yeah.......what happened? Luther asked.
"I found you outside passed out! How much did you drink?" She asked.
"I.....I don't remember" He said.
"Well, you look fine now. I was hoping I could convince you to play something for me. I'm Home Now is my favorite song". She said with an innocent smile handing him the guitar.

Luther's other band mates showed up at the cabin.
"So here's where you're all hiding!" Randy said looking at everyone. "What are you guys doing?"
"I'm trying to convince Luther to play me one little old song" Lizzie said with a pout.
"Well, what's stopping you Luther? Play the pretty woman a song!" Tommie said pulling up a chair.
Luther looked at everyone.....something wasn't right.....maybe one song wouldn't be so bad he thought trying to clear his mind which seemed to be permanently foggy. He looked at the guitar that Lizzie was holding and began to reach out for it, then he saw all their faces change into demonic scowls.
"What the hell!!!" He yelled and pulled his hands back. Suddenly the room was filled with a bright light.
"STOP IT!" They heard a voice ring out and all five of them fell to their knees "Don't touch a thing Luther!" Josef screamed out.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Mick and Josef stood before the demons and revealed themselves. All the demons cried out when seeing the angels in front of them. Mick walked over to Luther and touched him lightly on the shoulder.
"Luther. Come with us" Mick said gently taking his hand.
"What will you do to us?" Angelique asked shaking in fear.
"That is for God to decide" Josef said turning away from them and walking with Mick and Luther. As soon as they were outside the cabin exploded in flames killing all inside. Luther stopped and began to cry.
How could he have been so blind all this time?
"It's not your fault Luther. The devil is deceitful above all else" Mick said.
"But I knew something was wrong the whole time and I did nothing to stop it" Luther cried.
"When you're getting everything you ever wanted, why would you stop it? That's why the contracts are so effective."
"So what will you do now?" Josef asked.
"I think I'll go back home. I never should have left" Luther said wiping the tears from his face.

Five Years Later
Josef was sorting through his mail when Mick came to see him.
"How's it going Josef?" He asked watching Josef go through his mail quickly.
"We just got something from Luther Rollins" He said with a grin. "Looks like Luther and his wife had a beautiful little girl" He said showing Mick the photo.
"She's a cutie! I didn't know you were still keeping in contact with him"
"Well, I like to keep an eye out just in case. It doesn't look like Lucifer cares about keeping his flock in check and after what they were trying to pull the first time......let's just say I'm still concerned"
"Come on Josef, do you really think Luther is going to fall for this all over again after what he saw? I think he's learned that fame and fortune is overrated"
"And yet so many will give up all they have and all they are just to have it". Josef said.

Luther and his wife were taking turns holding the baby and singing to her.
"So she's not hungry, her diaper has been changed....." Luther began to say.
"Maybe you should sing to her. That seems to calm her down" His wife said. And before Luther could even think about what he was doing, he picked up the acoustic guitar sitting by the door and strummed a quick little tune that immediately seemed to soothe his daughter. She grinned and looked at her mother as both their faces changed.
"Time to pay up Luther" His wife said in a demonic voice. Luther dropped the guitar but it was too late.
"Damn." Luther said as he fell to his knees.

The End

Return to “Ella713's Office”