Ella713
Courtesan

Golden Years Rated PG

Post by Ella713 »

Moonlight Fan Fiction
Golden Years
Rated PG
By Ella713

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Mick pulls out all the stops to give Beth the greatest Anniversary present

"I hope you have some ideas Romeo because I'm all out" Mick said shaking his head.
"I'm touched Mick that you think I know more than you what to get your wife for an anniversary present" Josef joked.
"Come on! I'm sure you have some over the top plan that's just waiting to be uncovered". Mick said.
"What about horseback riding? Beth loves to ride"
"Did that already" He replied.
"What about a meal cooked by her favorite chef at your home?" Josef said.
"Did that 5 years ago" He said.
"I got it! Extreme Paintball"
"We did that! Beth kicked my butt remember?" Mick said remembering how much Josef teased him for losing. Suddenly Josef stood up.
"I got it! Take Beth on the Orient Express!" Josef said with a large grin.
"That's a real thing?"
"Yeah. But the best part is yet to come. You should rent out the entire train, fill it with actors and you and Beth could solve a murder" He said excitedly.
"You know Josef, that sounds amazing! Beth would really be into something like that!"
"I know she would. This is right up her street. I think the train runs from London to Venice with a stop in Paris"
"Josef, you're the king of romance!" Mick said
"True" He said picking up his phone to begin making the arrangements.

Ashley Bolton's agent called her as soon as he got word.
"You're never gonna believe this! Josef Kostan needs actors to re create a murder mystery on the Orient Express and I put your name in" He said. Ashley rolled her eyes. This was the last thing she wanted to do.
"Harry, you were supposed to get me an audition on the Cohen Brothers film" She said.
"They haven't responded back yet, but this is something you could do while we're waiting to hear back"
"Harry, I'm a serious actress! I didn't move here from Montreal to play dress up for some rich guy!"
"Ash, I'm telling you if Josef Kostan is looking for an actress you better damn well raise your hand because not only is he's the richest man in the world, he owns most of Hollywood and can get you any part you want" He said. Ashley sighed. She knew he was right.
"Fine! What am I supposed to be playing?"
"Get this. You're a young woman who's been poor all her life, then an aunt she's never heard of leaves you 10 millions dollars in her will and you're travelling with your attorney to go to her house in Venice to decide to keep or sell her mansion! It sounds good doesn't it?" He asked.
"Sounds like every Agatha Christie book ever written" She said with a bored sigh.
"Maybe so, but this gig pays 750k for your efforts" He said. Ashley stood frozen with the phone still in her hand. Did he just say 750 thousand dollars?
"I'll take it" She said quickly.
"Great! I just sent in your head shots and bio to Kostan's rep. He wants to make the final decision by the end of the week" He said.
"Can't wait" She said and hung up the phone in anger.

Josef and Mick picked out all the actors they wanted and discussed all the roles they were to play.
"Okay, I don't want this to be too easy. Beth will see straight through it. She has to be challenged and more importantly, she has to be working for justice" Mick said.
"Your right.....so let's murder the woman who just inherited 10 mil. I mean why not?" Josef said. Bridgett who heard all they were talking about spoke up.
"You two are hopeless! You should definitely murder the waiter Deacon. He's working to support his mother who is recovering from a stroke. He saw something he shouldn't have" She said looking over their shoulders.
"Okay, what did he see?" Josef asked.
"He saw stolen jewelry. When you enter in a theft, it opens up a wide avenue of stories that you can put in. Like Mrs. VanHorne. Everyone thinks her rich, but in truth her husband squandered away most of their fortune and she was great friends with the 10 million dollar woman's aunt, or the estate attorney travelling with 10 million dollar woman. IS he really helping her? Or the retired couple from Georgia. Maybe the aunt cheated them out of money.......oh! Or this guy! She said pointing to the name. Derrick Mayer, he could......" She continued on.
"Okay! We got it!" Mick said holding up his hands.
"She reads a lot of mystery novels Mick. We might as well let her handle this" Josef said chuckling.
Last edited by Ella713 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Re: Golden Years Rated PG

Post by Ella713 »

"So you're not going to tell me where we're headed?" Beth asked looking at Mick wondering what he was trying to pull.
"Nope." He said.
"Well can you at least tell me what the climate is so I know what to pack!"
"A few casual things, a couple of really dressy things, a lot of sexy things and a heavy coat" Mick said with a smile. She shook her head and went back to her closet. "And be quick! we have to be on board at 4pm sharp!" He said. Beth quickly got all her things together and was waiting for Mick at the front door.
"Ok. I'm all set" She said.
"Did you pack the red gown?" He asked.
"Since you're giving me no info whatsoever, you'll just have to wait and see" She said smiling at him. He grabbed her hand and in seconds they were standing on the train platform. "Mick, where are we going?" She asked then saw the sign above her. "Mick!! You're taking me on the Orient Express?!!" She squealed.
"Yes I am" He said leaning over to kiss her cheek.
"Oh Mick this is incredible!! I always wanted to do this!!". A man walked towards them.
"Tickets please" He said as Mick handed him the two tickets. "Thank you Mr. St. John. Enjoy your trip" He said walking to another couple.
"Let's go find our suite" He said helping her onto the train. A man came up to them. "Mr. and Mrs. St. John" Mick said.
"Yes. You're in in the Captain's Suite. Just walk straight down the hallway and your room is at the very back" He said smiling them. "Enjoy your trip" He said nodding at them.

"You have got to be kidding me!" Beth yelled when she saw the room. Everything in the room looked to be the very best that money could buy and then some. Beth sat on the bed noticing how comfortable it was. "Mick....this is unbelievable!" She gushed.
"Nothing but the best for my wife" He said sitting down next to her. "Happy Anniversary babe" He said kissing her passionately and laying her down on the bed.

"Ticket please" The Coachman said. Ashley handed him her ticket, looking all around nervously.
"Miss Gold. Thank you and enjoy your trip" He said not looking at the woman.
"Ms. Gold. You will be in our Blue room down the hallway and on the right" Another man said to her.
"What time is dinner?" Ashley asked.
"7pm. You'll hear a bell ring announcing the dinner hour"
"Thank you" she said in a quiet voice walking quickly to her room. After everyone had been checked in they heard the conductor shout out and the train began to slowly roll out of the station.

"As much as I'd love to lay in bed all night, we're going to have to get up and join the living world" Mick said with grin. Beth stretched her limbs.
"If we must" She said sitting up and running to the shower. When Mick was done with his shower he stepped out of the bathroom and saw Beth in the red dress that was his absolute favorite. The toga style showed off her shoulders and the side slit showed off her legs.
"You look amazing" Mick said staring at her.
"Wait til you see what's underneath it" She said seductively! "Chop chop mister! You don't want to be late" She said walking over to side table to sip on some bottled water. In 10 minutes Mick was dressed in a tuxedo that made him look like James Bond and they were walking to the dinning cart. They were seated at a table for two in the middle of the room with a clear view of everyone.
"Let's play a game" Beth whispered to Mick.
"Okay. what kind of game?"
"Let's guess who everyone is. I'll start. The first table on the left........He is in the industry of stocks and bonds and that beautiful woman next to him is not his wife but his mistress and he's taking her to a secluded hotel in Vienna". She said.
"That's not right at all" Mick said."He has academia written all over him. I'm getting a professor type vibe. Most likely unhappily married and she's a grad student he's having an affair with" Mick said taking a sip of the champagne that was sat in front of them.
"Okay, that older woman to the left, she's a Russian spy sent her to keep tabs on the scientist who's working on something top secret for the government"
"Now that one I agree with" Mick said knowing that she wasn't close at all on the occupations that Bridgett had chosen for everyone.
"What about that table right in front of us?" Mick said tasting the Chicken Chasseur that the server placed on their table and closing his eyes.
"She's a nanny who just accepted a post overseas. This is her first trip abroad so she's a little scared. The man with her works for her new employer of course. A titled aristocrat with a young daughter" She finished. Mick laughed.
"Alright enough with that game. I don't want to tempt fate. Let's just enjoy the evening" Mick chuckled.

After dinner Mick and Beth walked over to the next car for drinks and took two seats in the back while enjoying their brandy.
"Mick I can't thank you enough. This has been a dream come true!" She said when suddenly there was a very loud scream. Everyone stopped because they all knew the "murder" wasn't supposed to happen until much later in the evening. "What was that?" Beth asked standing up. Mick stood up equally confused. The conductor came into the car and stood in front of everyone.
"I'm sorry to announce that we will be stopping here for a moment...someone has died" He said. Of course everyone started to panic and ask questions at once. The conductor held up his hand to silence everyone. "The Police have been notified and we are to wait here until they arrive" He said sadly.
"This was not suppose to happen" Mick muttered to himself then spoke up. "Who died?" He asked.
"A young woman" Was all he said as he walked away. All the actors that he hired began to break character.
"This is bullshit!" One man spat out. "Kostan didn't pay me enough to get murdered in the middle of.....wherever the hell we are!"
Beth looked at Mick in surprise.
"This was supposed to be murder mystery train for you. These people are all actors that Josef and I hired" He confessed holding his head down.
"That's a remarkable idea!" She said with a smile. "However, something tells me this wasn't on the agenda" She said.
"Not even close" He replied.
"Well, I for one want to know how this woman was murdered..I mean we are on a train in the middle of nowhere with at least two vampires that we know of" One of the men playing a waiter said to everyone and that was all it took to put everyone in fear mode.
"Wait a minute!" Mick yelled out. "Neither me or my wife had anything to do with this! So don't go laying that crap on us. We were here with you all through dinner which we ate by the way so just stop trying to make everyone afraid" He said. "When the cops get here, they'll tell us what happened. But for now everyone just needs to calm down" Mick said taking his seat again.
"And here we go again" Beth whispered to him.
Last edited by Ella713 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

DCI Jeffrey from Scotland Yard stepped on the train and spoke briefly with the Train Conductor while his Detective Constable went around and took statements. The Inspector went to see the body which was shoved into a small wardrobe and looked to be strangled judging by the marks on her neck.
"Can you tell me who is staying in this room?" The Inspector asked.
"Let me check the list.......It is occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Baxter although I must tell you, I don't know if that is their real names sir. This train was rented out as a Murder Mystery Train for a Mr. and Mrs. St. John, so all of the people on board are actors" He said. Jeffrey closed his eyes for moment. He hated dealing with actors.
"Is everyone in the dining car?" He asked.
"Yes sir they are" He replied.

The Inspector walked into the dining car while his Scene of Crime Officers went to view the body.
"My name is DCI Jeffrey of Scotland Yard and I would like for all of you to stay where you are for now and I will be speaking with each of you momentarily" He said then called over his constable and had him secure a room that allowed privacy. The Conductor led him to a car that was used for observation and set it up appropriately. "Please send in Mr. and Mrs. St. John" He told the Conductor.
Mick and Beth walked in and took a seat in front of the man.
"Your names please" He said.
"Mick St. John and this is my wife Beth St. John" Mick said.
"I was told that this little affair was for you" He asked.
"Yeah. Something for our anniversary. Josef Kostan and I planned everything. Hired the actors, rented the train and everything was looking good until we heard the scream" Mick explained. "You see, the murder wasn't scheduled to take place until after midnight when everyone one was asleep". The Inspector nodded his head while taking notes.
"Now I was told that everyone excluding the Conductor and you two are actors. Do you have their information?" He asked.
"Yes, I do along with the checks that were to be handed out when we returned from Vienna, but it's in our cabin" Mick said.
"So in your scenario who was supposed to die?" He asked.
"Lawrence Marsh is the character name we gave him. Texas Oil Man" Mick said.
"Thank you for the information, please wait in the dining car until my men are finished" He said as they got up and walked back to the dining area. Everyone looked up anxiously when Mick and Beth returned.
"What did they say?" A woman asked.
"He asked about what we were doing on the train, who was supposed to die and said he was going to need all your real names" Mick replied.
"Are we still going to be paid?" A young actor asked.
"Yeah. I don't see why not" Mick said looking at all of them carefully trying to see if he could spot anything. Beth stood up and walked to the bar.
"Well we might as well live it up. I mean we are on the Orient Express after all" She said walking up to the bartender. "Champagne for everyone" She said with a small smile. A few people smiled back at her and the bartender walked around filling everyone's glass.

After Inspector Jeffrey had spoken to everyone he and his Constable sat down to talk things over.
"Well, here is the list of all the actors" He said sliding the info over to him. "And the Coroner said the girl was strangled by hand. Distinct hand prints around the throat but also mentioned that it looked to be strangulation by more than one person" He said.
"So two persons strangled this woman?" Jeffrey asked in surprise.
"Perhaps even three" The Constable said.
"We're going to have to make a call to the states and get background information on all the actors and also see if someone can get a hold of Josef Kostan" Jeffrey said.
"Right away sir" He said getting up.
Jeffrey stared out the window thinking that this sounded exactly like the Agatha Christie novel.

Josef answered the call and was shocked when he was told that someone had died on Mick's murder mystery train.
"We certainly have bad luck" Bridgett said when he told her and Josef had to agree. He called Brian and asked him to get to the train and hand the Inspector all the information he had on the actors.

Brian appeared on the train and immediately saw his mom and dad sitting at a table speaking with another couple. Beth looked up suddenly.
"Brian, what are you doing here?" She asked in surprise.
"Josef wanted me to get this information to the Inspector right away. He said looking all around.
"What information?" Mick asked.
"Of course Josef had all the actors vetted" Brian said.

"He what?!" They heard a man say in anger. "I didn't give him any permission to go snooping in my private life!" He yelled.
"Then you chose the wrong profession" Brian said looking at that man with a smirk. The woman sitting next to him rolled her eyes.
"Give it a rest Max! Did you honestly believe that Josef Kostan wouldn't do a thorough vetting of everyone on this train? Get real" She said.
"Look all we can do is let the police do their job and get to the bottom of this" Mick said again trying to calm everyone down, because mortals were at their most dangerous when they were scared. The guy sat down still angry over being vetted.
"Do you think they'll let the train continue?" The older woman asked.
"Most likely we will be headed back to London and questioned some more there" Mick said. Everyone groaned at his words when suddenly the Inspector came back into the room. He looked at Brian for a moment.
"Are you Mr. Petzer?" He asked. At Brian's nod he motioned for him to follow him back into the interview room.

"What do think is going on?" Beth whispered to Mick.
"I have no idea babe" Mick said looking at all the people in the room talking trying to see if anyone was acting suspiciously. After a while the Inspector told everyone they could return to their rooms and that they would be heading back to London. Mick and Beth walked quietly to their room so they could talk about what they thought was going on.
"At least we know who the murder victim was" Mick said.
"Who was she?"
"Her name was Ashley Bolton. She was in that indie movie we saw about the bank robbery in South Africa" Mick said. Beth nodded her head.
"She was very good. She would have had a bright future ahead of her" Beth said.
"That's what I don't get. Ashley was on the A-list after that movie, so why was she working in a small dinner theater murder mystery?" He said. Beth had to agree that it did sound strange. Any actress who burst out on scene with a movie of that caliber shouldn't be doing something like this.
"She must have pissed off somebody in Hollywood to get demoted so quickly". Mick said then reached for his mobile phone to see if he could make a quick call. He punched in Logan's number. If anyone could find out about this girl it was Logan.
"Mick! How's the train trip?" Logan said "Lucky wants you to take some photos of the interior for her"
"The train ride has been canceled. One of the actresses was murdered" He said.
"Why doesn't this surprise me?" Logan said. "Who was it?"
"Ashley Bolton" He replied. Then he heard Lucky grab the phone from Logan.
"Ashley's dead?" She asked in shock.
"Yeah. Strangled and shoved in a closet"
"Well Hollywood is going to sleep a lot better now!" She said.
"What's going on?" He heard Logan say in the background.
"Sexual Harassment and Assault lawsuit. The Daisy Muller rape case. Ashley Bolton was a witness. She was invited to a party by the president of Paramount at his mansion. Lots of people were there. Ashley was walking all around the mansion and heard some yelling so she hid behind something and saw Daisy being sexually assaulted. When the studio found out that Ashley had witnessed everything, she was blacklisted. I mean no one would hire her. There were rumors that she slept with a bunch of people to get the role she did in the movie Set-Up. She denied it of course but no one believed her at first, until she got legal representation and it turns out she's a virgin as in hymen still attached. But even after those rumors were proven to be false no one would hire her." Lucky finished. Beth was horrified.
"Mick we have to find out who killed this girl!" She yelled.
"We will" Mick said.
Last edited by Ella713 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Mick and Beth made their way back to the dining car and saw that the bartender was still working.
"What are you still doing here?" Mick asked in surprise.
"Truthfully? I'm too spooked to go back to my room. What about you?" He asked with a grin.
"This is our day time" Beth said.
"Right! Sorry I forgot. You want something to drink?" He asked.
"You know how to make an Old Fashion?"
"I was an actual bartender before I tried acting" He said expertly putting together all the ingredients and shaking them together. He poured it over ice in two glasses and accented each one with a cherry. "Try that" He said with a smile. Mick and Beth both took a small sip.
"Damn!! That's the best Old Fashion I've ever had! Seriously" Mick said."What's your name? Your real name"
"Milo Sandusky" He replied.
"Did you know Ashley Bolton?" Beth asked.
"Yeah I did. She was a really good actress" He said washing some glasses. "And she was nice. Too nice to be in Hollywood".
"Were you aware of what was happening?" Mick asked.
"Everyone did....look...Hollywood is corrupt. Has been from the beginning. Everyone knew what Sammy was up to at Paramount. His parties were epic, but there's no way you can keep stuff like that a secret. Someone always talks. So yeah, I was aware and so was absolutely everyone in Hollywood"
"Do you know what Paramount planned to do to Ashley?"
"Make sure she got no work anywhere. It sucks you know. She just happen to be at the wrong place and the wrong time. I mean none of this was her fault, but the way they were talking about her in a press was messed up!" He said shaking his head in sadness. "And the one thing no one wants to talk about is Daisy Mueller killing her self" He said putting the quotation marks around the worlds killing herself.
"You think the studio killed her?" Beth asked her eyes opened wide.
"Daisy was a fighter. She was gonna take Sammy to cleaners if she couldn't get him locked up. And she would have won" He said. "Look, I know you're a Private Detective so tell me you're going to get the guy responsible? I have a daughter and she wants to become an actress but there's no way in hell I'm going to let that happen!" He said "Would you like another one? I'm going to try and get some sleep"
Mick nodded and he began to make their drinks. When they were alone Mick began to speak with Beth in non audible tones in case they were being watched.
"I know from Josef how cut throat Hollywood is, but killing Ashley wasn't going to stop the Prosecutor from looking at this case. I mean just like Milo said, too many people knew what Sammy was doing"
"I agree. Blacklisting an actress is the kind of shady things they're mostly known for but killing two actresses?"
"We're missing something" He said finishing his drink and leading Beth back to their cabin. They knew immediately that someone was in their room, so Beth stayed in the hall while Mick barged in. Someone tried to run out the door but Beth grabbed them by the neck placed her hand tightly over their mouth
and took them back inside the room.
"What are doing in our room?" Mick asked looking at the man. Beth slapped him hard across the face.
"He's asking you a question" She said.
"I was looking for the checks! I just wanted to get the hell out of here!" He said.
"Did you kill Ashley?" Beth asked. The man looked at both of them in shock.
"Hell no! You're not going to lay that shit on me!" He yelled. "I didn't even know the woman although everyone was talking about her and Daisy" He said nervously.
"Who do you think killed her?" Mick asked.
"Everyone knows it was Sammy. He's the only one who stood to lose something if she talked" He said.
"Have you ever been to one of Sammy's parties?" Beth asked.
"Yeah. It was right after I stared in Cyclone and my agent was in talks for me to be the next Batman. Sammy called my agent and invited me his home for a party" He said. "And it was insane. Like Sodom and Gomorrah insane. Playboy bunnies everywhere, tons of booze, lots of coke. Typical Hollywood thing, but my agent told me to stay away from Sammy and told me all about his sexual assaults"
"And you still went to the party" Mick said.
"Of course I did! The president of Paramount Studios wants me to come to a party! Hell yeah I said yes"
"And what did you think?" Mick asked.
"It was shady. He treated the women like his own personal sex slaves. He up and grabbed this one actress and demanded that she get on her knees and service him. And she did! Right in front of everyone!". He said. "So I left. I really didn't need to see that shit. But when Sammy got word that I had left the party, suddenly the work started to dry up and my agent couldn't get anyone on the phone.
Now I'm stuck doing television shows on the CW and Scy Fy channel" He said in anger. Mick listed to what he said carefully and knew he was telling the truth.
"I'm going to let you go, but if you try anything like this again" Mick said.
"I w....won't I promise" He said. Beth opened the door and he ran out quickly.
"Well, was it him?" Beth asked.
"No. He's a coward. I doubt he could punch anyone"
"The sun's almost up. so let's get some rest and start all over again" Beth said locking the door and walking over to him.

Beth thought she heard something, so she got up quietly so she wouldn't wake up Mick. She threw on some clothes and made her way down the hallway. Two people were having a heated conversation. She crept closer trying to make out what they were saying.
"As soon as we get to London we need to split up. That was the plan!" She heard a woman say.
"Were going to have to change the plan now that we have two vampires to contend with. If I had of known that when I was chartering this ride I would have killed little miss goody two shoes somewhere else"
"She's dead. That's the only thing that matters" The woman said. Beth accidentally bumped up against something making a loud noise so she ran quickly away and back in her room before they peaked around the corner.
"Did you hear that?" The woman said in a panicked voice
"The train probably made something bump. Relax. No one's up yet" He said confidently but he still peaked around the corner to make sure.

Beth stepped out of her room again and walked towards the first car. She saw a couple sitting next to each other holding hands. She walked by quickly and went into the dining car. The chef was getting ready for the day and she smelled delicious coffee brewing.
"Would Madame like a cappuccino?" The waiter asked.
"That would be nice" Beth said as she took a seat on the side. Watching the server closely she took out her mobile phone and called Logan.
"Hey beautiful!" Logan said.
"I was wondering if you could do me a favor" She said
"Sure thing. What do you need?"
"I want you to cross reference the names of the actors list with Paramount Studios. I want to know who specifically works more with Paramount than all the others" She said smiling to herself. She wanted the server to hear her. She started to text when she heard someone coming up behind her and she quickly turned to see who it was.
"Oh! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. I thought I was the only one up so early" The old woman said with a smile. "Geraldine Potter" She said holding out her hand.
"Beth St. John. It's a pleasure to meet you" Beth smiled.
"You're with that gorgeous man with the wavy hair" She said.
"Yes, My husband Mick"
"Goodness gracious, it's been a long time since I've seen a man that beautiful. When I was girl I use to dream I was married to Montgomery Cliff. Your husband is very much like him" She said.
"I will be sure to tell him that" Beth laughed.
"What do you think about this murder?" She whispered looking all around the car. "It's just horrible what people have come to" She said shaking her head.
"Yes it is. That woman didn't deserve to be murdered" Beth said.
"Well I heard she was at that awful party with the head of Paramount doing unspeakable things!" She said placing her hand over her chest.
"How did you get into acting?" Beth asked changing the topic once she knew that this woman is only interested in slandering Ashley's name.
"Oh, I was a Rockette in my 20's then I met Edgar Bronfman from MGM and he just had to have me for their upcoming film with Liz Taylor called Butterfield 8. I was hooked naturally as anyone would be in Hollywood. I never became a huge star, but I was able to find steady work as supporting characters" She said.
"Well that's more than most can hope for" Beth replied. "So why did you take this job?"
"Honestly...I was curious" She said taking a deep breath. "But I never thought something like this would happen! And they say that poor girl was strangled!" She said.
"Hollywood is horribly cut throat though. I'm sure this will be one of those tragic cautionary tales about the city of make believe". Beth said as she rose. "It's time for me to get a little bit of rest" She said nodding at the woman and taking her leave and as she walked away, she thought about what the woman said. Something about it bothered her a lot. And when she reached her door she got it. The Inspector hadn't announced how the woman had died so how did she know Ashley was strangled?

Mick began to stir as soon as the sun was setting. He reached over for Beth and saw she was gone. He stretched and took a quick shower. He poured himself a small amount of blood, downed it quickly and walked to the dining car to find Beth. He found her at a small table nibbling on what looked to be some sort of quiche.
"How is it?" He asked coming up behind her and kissing her cheek.
"Oh, you're up. Took you long enough" She joked as she pushed the quiche away. Mick sat down next to her and pulled the plate towards him and took a bite. It was delicious.
"Babe this is really good. You sure you don't want it?" He asked.
"I have to tell you something. I think I've solved the case" She said quietly. She knew that Geraldine Potter was only pretending to listen to the man she was with, so she lowered her voice even more. "The older woman by the name of Geraldine Potter is Daisy's mother. I had Logan find out who worked the most with Paramount Studios and her name is the only one that stood out. And also, she was exclusively with Universal Studios and switched right after her daughter killed herself". She said.
"But why not kill Sammy? He's the one that raped her, why go after Ashley?" Mick said.
"Because Ashley didn't stop it. I mean anyone else would have seen what happened and jumped out to help or at least scream, but Ashley was too scared. I think she killed Ashley" Beth explained.
"How do you know she's Daisy's mom?"
"Lucky found Daisy's birth certificate. Daisy Potter changed her name to Mueller because her agent said it sounded classier. Born to one Geraldine and Henry Potter" She said.

"Alright, we got the who and why but how did she kill Ashley?" Mick wondered thinking about the Inspectors findings. So Ashley had gotten on the train right after he and Beth boarded, since she was also staying in a first class cabin, so the murder had to take place after the train pulled out the station. He'd have to find out where everyone was.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Mick sighed, took off his jacket.
"Planning on seducing the lady folk with your rippling biceps?" Beth joked.
"If you think it will help" He joked back at her.
"When hasn't it?" She laughed as he got up and left the dining car. An actress who was hired to play a childhood friend of Ashley's character ran into Mick in the hallway. She hit his chest with a hard thump.
"Are you okay?" Mick asked. She looked up in anger but when she saw it was Mick she stopped whatever it was she was about to say.
"I....I'm fine" She stammered nervously. She rubbed her shoulder which felt like she had run into a concrete wall."Jeez, you work out much?" She said sarcastically. Mick chuckled at her words.
"I'm sorry about that" Mick said. "Hey if you have a second can I talk to you?". She eyed Mick suspiciously.
"Talk about what?" She asked
"Hollywood" He said.
"Hollywood sucks" She replied.
"That I know, but I was more interested in Paramount Studios"
"Oh you mean Mr. Sammy "I can get you the best part if you let me have my way with you" She said with a smirk.
"Did he try it with you?"
"He knew better than to try that crap with me! I have black belts in Kung Fu, Akido and Jujitsu. I would have made sure he was paralyzed for life, but I also wasn't stupid enough to go to any of his parties or have a meeting in his office by myself!" She said.
"He was that bad and no one ever told anyone?" Mick asked thinking this was the most horrible thing he had ever heard.
"Look, Hollywood is a good old boys network of pervs! It's been like that since the beginning. Why do you think so many actors and actresses get mixed up in drugs? Sometimes it's the actor's fault. They sign on with a crooked agent and pretty soon you're being pimped out all the time". She said.
"Then why do you do it?" Mick asked.
"For those who really love the craft, you can't imagine not doing it for a living and Hollywood is the only game in town. Yeah some people leave and go to New York to do Broadway only to find that the pervs are everywhere" She finished.
"Do you believe that Daisy Muller was raped?" Mick asked.
"Yeah I do and I believe that Ashley saw it all and didn't do a damn thing to stop it" She said walking away.

Inspector Jeffrey studied all the information that Brian Petzer had provided him with and after many inquiries he was still no closer to determining who killed this woman. On the surface Ashley Bolton seemed like a very nice, very talented woman, but if his many years on the force had taught him anything, it was to never take things at face value. He walked into the dining car and saw Mrs. St. John reading a book.
"Might we have a word?" He asked. Beth looked up and nodded as he took the seat across from her.
"Are you making any headway?" She asked.
"No which is why I am sitting here" He said reaching into his pocket for his pipe then sighing that he could not smoke on the train.
"Since we booked this particular voyage it is up to us what goes on within it and I say feel free to smoke your pipe" She said with a smile.
"Are you sure it's no bother?" He asked.
"No bother at all. My father smoked a pipe and I always loved the smell of it"
"Much appreciated" He said as he lit the pipe and and sat back as he inhaled.
"I found out something that my help you?" She said and told him the entire story on the rape of Daisy and her suicide shortly after. "And Daisy's mother is on this train right now. I think she blamed Ashley for not stopping what happened to her daughter" Beth said. Inspector stared at her while thinking about all she had told him.
"But there's something I haven't let anyone know and that's the bruises around the woman's neck. There are two distinct hand prints around the woman's neck. One larger than the other" He said.
"Are you positive?" Beth asked in surprise.
"Coroner said absolutely"
"That makes no sense. Who else but Paramount Studios and Daisy's mother would get something from the death of Ashley?"
"It could very well be unrelated. Something we know little about" He said.
"True but............ I don't know" Beth said in frustration.
"Agreed" He said as Beth stood up to talk to Mick.

She found Mick in their cabin laying down on the bed looking at the ceiling. She stood next to the bed.
"You didn't seduce anyone did you?" She asked.
"W...what? No. I just needed to think all these things through" He said sitting up on the bed. "I've talked to a few people who all knew that Sammy was guilty as sin and he was freaked out about this case going to trial, but I just don't see him ordering a hit on an actress. He's more of the ruin someone's reputation or get them hooked on drugs kind of sleazeball" He said.
"I agree with you, but get this. The Inspector told me that the medical examiner found two hand prints around the victim's neck and they weren't the same size"
"Really? Does he have any clue as to who?"
"No, but my money is still on Geraldine. Maybe that man she's travelling with helped her. who is he by the way?" She asked.
"He's playing the estate attorney who was travelling with Ashley".
"Well it looks like he and Geraldine obviously know one another" She said thinking how close they were talking to each other. "What's his real name?". Mick reached over and grabbed the list he had and went down the names.
"Arthur Cole" He said. Beth quick typed the name into her smart phone and sent the info to Logan and waited for her phone to ping. It took all of 15 minutes. She held it out for Mick to see. "He was engaged to Daisy" Mick said getting out of bed.
"We need to speak with the Inspector" Mick said grabbing his shoes.
"Are you sure he's a real Scotland Yard Inspector?" Beth asked.
"He and the Conductor are the only genuine people on board this train....and you and me" He said with a smile as they went to find the Inspector. He was still in the dining car speaking with his Constable when they approached.
"Yes. May I help you?" The Inspector asked looking at them both.
"We have some information you should hear. Geraldine Potter is the mother of Daisy Muller the actress who committed suicide and the man travelling with her was engaged to Daisy" Mick said. The Inspector looked at Mick frowning for a bit then he quickly pulled out a gun and pointed it at both of them.
"Silver bullets I'm afraid Mr. John" He said with a smile. "I will not be able to get both of you but I will get one. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves who the lucky chap will be". Beth studied the man for a few moments.
"It was you. You killed Ashley Bolton, because she did nothing to save Daisy. Your daughter" Beth said.
"He killed Ashley?" Mick said in surprise.
"So you figured it out. Well done" He said sadly.
"I'm all kind of confused here, but what makes you think Ashley could have done anything to help her? Was she some sort of secret ninja or assassin? Against a man who was what 6'2 and over 195 lbs?" Mick asked looking at the Inspector.
"Why don't you ask your wife. She seems to know everything!" He said with contempt. Mick looked at Beth with questioning eyes.
"Because Ashley wasn't going to testify. So they they killed her to get justice for their daughter not to mention many other actresses. He killed her because she changed her mind. This little trip was going to be her last small time venue and she was back to the A-list. She got the lead in the new Cohen Brothers film and that was going to put her back on top" Beth finished.
"Congratulations Mrs. St. John. I am sorry that it has to end this way" He said pointing the gun at her and pulling the trigger as Mick had quickly ran in front of her. Mick heard nothing and when he looked up at the Inspector he saw that what came out of his gun was a sign reading BANG. And soon all the other actors came into the dining car applauding and hugging them. The bartender popped the champagne and began pouring glasses.
"This wasn't even the script!" Mick said loudly over the music and conversation. The actor who played the Chief Inspector walked over to Mick.
"Mrs. Kostan was afraid that you wouldn't be believable enough if you already knew who the murderer was, so she did some last minute revising to the story" He said with a smile.
"You've got to be kidding me!" He yelled.
"Your wife did an excellent job" He said.
"But I'm an actual Private Detective"
"Which is why you had a hard time figuring things out. As a detective you already know how things are supposed to work, but you had a hard time because you weren't quite sure if this was all real or not. I'd say Mrs. Kostan has flair for mystery stories". He said walking over to the bar to get another drink.
Mick looked over at Beth who was laughing with Ashley Bolton! where the heck did she come from? Mick thought to himself shaking his head.
"You're still a great detective" Beth whispered in his ear. He turned around and hugged her.
"Happy Anniversary babe!" He said.

The End

Return to “Ella713's Office”