When You Wish... (G, Challenge #178)

A place for MickLifeCrisis' G to PG-13 stories
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

When You Wish... (G, Challenge #178)

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight or any of its characters. BJ and Curtis are my OC's; BJ is Mick and Beth's adopted daughter.
Rated: G
A/N: Thank you Allegrita for the finishing touches! :flowers:
This takes place shortly after the end of BJ at the Cabin

When You Wish…

BJ hummed softly to herself while her mother buttoned up the back of her satin dress. Beth paused and looked at her daughter in the mirror.

“What were you humming just now?”

BJ smiled. “Couldn’t you tell?”

Beth went back to work on the row of buttons. “Well, it sounded to me like the song from Pinocchio that I used to sing to you when you were a little girl.” BJ smiled in the mirror as Beth began to sing.

“When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you.”

“La-la-la-la…” Beth hummed a little more and then BJ joined her as they sang the last verse together.

“Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true.”

“There!” Beth said. “All done. Turn around and let me see.”

BJ slowly turned to face her mother; Beth’s face absolutely glowed.

“Sweetheart, you look gorgeous!” BJ beamed, and Beth said, “Here, let me help you with your shoes.”

They shared a few moments of comfortable silence as Beth helped BJ with her sandals, before Beth spoke up again.

“Bethany, honey. Do you feel your wishes have come true? Have you found your heart’s desire?”

“Oh, yes, Mom. Yes! Curtis is everything I’ve ever dreamed about,” BJ gushed. Then she turned away. “It’s just…”

Beth stood up, looking concerned. “Just what? What’s the matter, sweetie?”

BJ looked into the mirror again at her mother standing behind her. “Do you think I’ve made the right choice? Not about Curtis; I’m so in love with him! But about… about getting married before being turned?”

Beth put her hands on BJ’s shoulders. “Sweetheart, there is no right or wrong about that. Curtis has all the time in the world. It’s up to you when you want to be turned. Um, you have talked to him about this, haven’t you?”

“Yes, of course we have.”

“And? What did he say?”

“He said just what you did. That it’s my decision and he’ll wait until I feel ready.” BJ paused. “I do want to be turned. Really. I’m just not sure how soon.”

“’Soon’ is when you say. You’re still young yet; give it a few years. You’ll know when the time is right.”

BJ smiled at her mother’s reflection and then turned to give her a hug. “Thanks, Mom. I can always count on you to say just the right thing.”

“Oh, don’t go making me cry now! There will be plenty of time for that later! Do you have your Grandma Turner’s lace hankie?” BJ nodded. “And your baby hair ribbon?”

“Yes, it’s pinned to the hankie.”

“Good! Now, let me fasten this garland in your hair and we’ll be ready.”

Suddenly BJ was outside on the lawn behind Josef’s mansion. The setting sun had turned the sky into beautiful ripples of pink and orange. White fairy lights twinkled in the trees as dusk fell. Somewhere a string quartet played softly. She walked on a carpet of ferns spread upon the ground, carrying a bouquet of cascading lilies. Mick and Beth walked on either side of her, linking elbows with BJ, their pride and joy. Beth had cried when BJ asked her if she would accompany her down the aisle along with her father. And up ahead, smiling, stood her beloved Curtis, as handsome as ever. Next to him stood Josef, looking as proud, if not prouder, than her father. He was so touched when Curtis asked him to be his best man; BJ had never seen her uncle truly speechless before.

Before she knew it, she and Curtis were holding hands, staring into each other’s eyes.

“Do you, Curtis, take Bethany to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

“I do.”

“Do you, Bethany, take Curtis, to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

“I do.”

“You do what?”

BJ gasped and looked around, momentarily confused. The fairy lights and music had disappeared.

“What?” she managed to mumble.

“You said ‘I do’ out loud, and I asked what was it you did,” Curtis explained, keeping his eyes on the road while giving BJ a quick glance. “Are you okay? I think you were dead to the world there.”

Blushing, BJ looked at him strangely. “Ahem.” Curtis said. “Sorry, a little vampire humor. I meant that you were pretty sound asleep there. Out like a light. All those late nights studying for finals and then packing up the car with everything you own to take back to LA must have done you in.”

BJ nodded. “It’s been a pretty hectic week, that’s for sure.”

“So?”

“So what?”

“So, you didn’t answer my question. Why did you say, ‘I do?’”

BJ felt her cheeks flush again, so she turned to look out the car window. “It was nothing. I think I was dreaming.” She sneaked a glance at Curtis and saw him smiling.

After a few minutes Curtis spoke up again. “Do you think you’re ready for your new life?”

“What?!”

“You know, changing your major, changing UC campuses, moving back to LA near your parents.”

BJ reached across the seat and took his hand. “I’m ready for anything as long as you’re by my side.”

Curtis squeezed her hand. “Then you think we can make this work?”

“I do.”

The End
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: When You Wish... (G, Challenge #178)

Post by allegrita »

I love this, MLC! :hearts: I got such warm fuzzies from this story! :cloud9: You fooled me--I was totally caught up in the wedding, and I think I was as confused as BJ was when Curtis woke her! It was only on a reread that I caught the little "dream jumps" in the narrative that should have clued me in. :winky:

And then I got a whole new set of warm fuzzies at the end. I really think BJ and Curtis are meant for each other, and one day we really will get to see her walk down the aisle with her folks. :heart:

Thank you for this sweet response to the Challenge!! :flowers:
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

So sweet.
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

You really had me. It was a real jolt to be ejected from that beautiful wedding scene and like Alle I had to think about it and reread to get that it was a dream. This short story oozes goodness and sweetness and kindness in all its characters. It’s lovely, thanks.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you Alle, aolver and Luxe! :ghug: It's been awhile since I've had a zinger at the end of one of my stories! :laugh: :brow:

The "dream jumps," as Alle called them, were intentional, but I didn't really know if anyone would pick up on those.

When my daughter got married a couple of year ago she carried a hankie that belonged to her late grandmother (my mom) so that's where that idea came from (and she sure needed it!). When Mick first found BJ as an infant and brought her home, all she had from her birth mother (who was killed by a vampire) was the bow in her hair and the blanket she was wrapped in. BJ always kept the ribbon pinned to the blanket and sometimes slept with it under her pillow. I thought it would be sweet to include the ribbon from her birth mom.

Thank you for reading and leaving comments! I love to revisit BJ!

:thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

I just want to hug you..... I truly do. Thank you for this continuing saga.

:hearts: :rose: :hug:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Lucy wrote:I just want to hug you..... I truly do. Thank you for this continuing saga.

:hearts: :rose: :hug:
:hug: :flowers: :thanks:
MickLifeCrisis

Return to “MickLifeCrisis' Office”