Moonlight - Ten Years

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Moonlight - Ten Years

Post by allegrita »

This was our first close-up view of Mick.

And then the image dissolved into this guy.

He was gorgeous, he was different from the "same old same old" type of vampire, he was devastatingly charming. But more than that, he was a little bit lonely, and a little bit sad. And he captured our hearts.

More to the point, Moonlight as a show captured our hearts. And our minds. And our imaginations. The show grabbed us, shook us, and turned on some magical switch in us. We were fascinated, we wanted to know more about these characters, and we absolutely needed to gather with others who understood this amazing experience. We came together online, we wrote stories and created art and had deep conversations about how to fill in missing bits in the narrative. We imagined other characters who might inhabit the Moonlight universe. We created complex and long-running roleplay scenarios. And then we got together at various events and conventions. We donated gallons of blood together. Even after it became painfully obvious that the show wouldn't come back, we kept it alive through fanfic, videos, banners, magazines, and other creative endeavors. We became a community of people who got one another.

That all started ten years ago. TEN!! :gasp:

A lot has changed over the years. We've had to move from beloved online homes. We've seen our numbers dwindle as people moved on, had kids, finished school, and began following other interests. And we've tragically lost many dear friends who have passed away from this earth. Time causes changes, and losses. Mick and Josef know a lot about loss, and we've all had to learn as well. :Mickangel:

On this anniversary, I find myself thinking about endings as well as beginnings. And I'm reminded of the last song we heard on the show, "Love Remains the Same" by Gavin Rossdale. I will never again be able to hear that song without getting a lump in my throat. But it's not only about endings. It's a song about adapting, and loving, and finding hope in the midst of loss.

I never thought that I had any more to give
Pushing me so far
Here I am, without you
Drink, to all that we have lost
Mistakes we have made
Everything will change
But love remains the same.

In ten years, we've lost a lot. But our love for one another and for Moonlight remains. I'm so grateful for all of you, for those I've loved and lost, and for those who are still here. Who could have imagined that we'd still be together ten years on? Well, maybe we should have realized it from the start. The love is that big. It's that strong. And the people we've met because of that love are so very special.

I love all of you. :ghug: :heart: (And Mick, Josef, Coraline, Logan, Guillermo, Beth, and all the rest.) :cloud9:

xoxo,

Allegrita
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight - Ten Years

Post by francis »

:hug: :Mickangel:
Wonderful tribute to our show, Allegrita. Thank you.
I still have the banner from five years ago, never bothered to change it.
When I think about the show I feel a warm glow inside, not the fire from years ago, but the feeling I have when thinking of a long gone relative that I loved.
I haven't watched the show in years, maybe I should do it again.
I still visit this site every day, just to see what's going on.
I still love all of you. :hearts:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Love remains the same...It still amazes me, even after all this time, how much a tv show meant to me, to all of us. Mick St John is a beacon in my life, a beacon to a port full of friends I would never have found otherwise.

(PS. I really loved the Mick St John reference in the first episode of the new H50 season 8 :) Somebody still loves our Moonlight. ...)
Last edited by maggatha3 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

I'm still angry and very sad that this show was canceled but it lives on in all of us here! I love everyone here so much! Thank you Alle for all the wonderful memories and the opportunity to make more memories here!! You rock girl! :hug:
LoveBite
Kostan Industries intern

Post by LoveBite »

Wow, ten years! Such a special show, it will be in my heart forever. I liked every part of it ... the acting, writing, directing. Happy 10th anniversary, dearest Moonlight!

:champs:

~Carol
LoveBite
Carol
~LoveBite
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Alle - I could quote your whole post. :hearts: :hug:

Ten years ago, I could never have imagined where we'd be today. I'd never fallen so deeply for characters. It was simply not fathomable that I could be changed so completely by a television show.
Ironically, that song -- Love Remains the Same -- never really grabbed me back them. (Blasphemy, I know! :eek2: ) I mean, it was ok, it worked well enough, but I was never as enamored with it as many folks. But now -- now it means everything. It makes me smile and breaks my heart all at the same time and I can't think of anything more perfect.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:ghug: Ohh, Alle. :heart:

I know how honoured and blessed I am to have such wonderful friends, and all because of our show. I've stopped calling it little today. It's been 10 years. How many shows have come and gone, and been forgotten in that time?? But not our Moonlight, and the friendships that we have all made because of it, are so strong and long lasting. We've shared one another's happiness, sadness, hardship... and so unfortunately loss. :comfort: But it's so lovely to know what this show has brought to all of us.

I'll never stop being thankful for it. :heart: Love remains the same....

Loads of love to my Moonlight family. :heart:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

What wonderful sentiments from all of you! :ghug:

Ten years! Seems impossible. Lots of changes, in our ML world and in our personal lives:
choccyterri wrote:We've shared one another's happiness, sadness, hardship... and so unfortunately loss. :comfort: But it's so lovely to know what this show has brought to all of us.
YES! Exactly!

And this is such a wonderful, safe, happy "home" to come visit and sit awhile.

Love and thanks to you all, for doing what you do, and just for being here.
:heart: :ghug: :heart: :ghug: :heart:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
dmcs66
Mortal

Post by dmcs66 »

Happy 10th Moonlight Anniversary
kath40
Cleaner

Post by kath40 »

10 years later and Moonlight still holds a strong special place in my heart. :heart: Like francis I still have my banner from 4 years ago with only the date of our Anniversary changing each year. It fits me well so I intend to keep it for as long as Moonlight holds my heart and MLA will continue to gather here. :ghug:

I Love my Moonlight Family. :heart: I love coming here to MLA 'cause y'all get me....without rolling your eyes. :snicker:

I'm so grateful for everyone welcoming me here back in 2009 when I was looking for a new Moonlight Home board when Moonlight Dreams unfortunately dissolved.

We all still bask in the glow of Moonlight 'cause it effected us all in the same way. A special show that is so hard to explain to those who never experienced THE MOONLIGHT glow. (cant tell you how many times I cringed when I would try to tell someone about Moonlight only to have them say "Moonlighting? With Bruce Willis? I loved that show." Me: GAHAAHHH NOOOOO! :banghead: )

Strange now that Alex has had his H5-0 success people have looked up his past projects. To my relief more often then not Moonlight is know as MOONLIGHT the show we have loved for the past 10 years and NOT Moonlighting. :phew:
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I watched the first episode of Moonlight when it first appeared and was fascinated with it. I know I set it up for recording on what was then our VCR. I don't remember if I missed a couple episodes and then watched them on the VCR but I preferred watching them in person. At some point - maybe before the Writers Strike started - I found Moonlightline and became a member of that. I remember making contributions to supposedly buy the writers pizza, birthday gifts for the stars, gave money for ads, etc. only to ultimately find out it didn't necessarily go where it was supposed to. When the convention was being set up I knew I couldn't go (our daughter was graduating Law School) so instead I flew out to Los Angeles for the Paley Event (this also became a blood drive) where I met a number of people who are or were in this group. At the time of the Paley Event, we were still optimistic about the show being renewed. When it wasn't,I can't tell you how many letters, emails and calls I wrote or made to CBS asking for them to renew. I just couldn't understand when almost nothing was answered.

While the whole fiasco was occurring with the founder of Moonlightline, I joined another group but ultimately was so glad when this group was formed. This group has been a haven for me in terms of sharing with others how much these 16 episodes meant to us. The romance of Moonlight was so special. And while Alex was so handsome, his voice was entrancing, and the love story was like a fairy tale come true. By the way, while Alex was a significant factor in terms of my love for Moonlight, it was really the whole show that captured me, and not just Alex. In all my correspondence to CBS, I always stressed that it was about the whole show and not the star. I have really loved the fan fiction that appeared on these pages, and while some of the stories that really meant a lot to me were left unfinished, I still hope that someday, they will be.

While I was fortunate enough to attend the Paley Event and the events that week, as well as the Gala in Chicago, I wish there could be another event for those of us who don't live on the West Coast so that we could get to meet in person, more of the people still on these pages. After 10 years I am again willing to fly out for a fans of Moonlight event. I realize the planning involves a lot of time, but I would be willing to help. However, in the meantime I am so thankful for the show and all the people - especially the Admins - on this Board.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.

Return to “Moonlight's Tenth Anniversary - Sept. 28, 2017”