The Bar Scene (Challenge #166) - PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

The Bar Scene (Challenge #166) - PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

This one was written in response to Challenge #166, Canon Fodder. So, none of the characters in this piece are “canonical.” Honest. However, since I’ve tried to stay true to the ML concept of vampires, I’ll say that no infringement is intended. And as so often, a shout-out and thanks to Allegrita for beta’ing this for me.

The Bar Scene

The interior of the old bar was dim, but even I could see that the man seated over to one side was no usual lush. Sure, he had a stack of shot glasses piled into a rough pyramid in front of him. More than enough to put any normal man under the table – or in this case, the elaborate curves and carving of the marble topped, mahogany bar. I figured, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and made my way through the scattering of mostly empty tables to take the barstool next to him.

Just as I sat down, he slapped the bar and called for another round.

“You know you’re just wasting your money, Johnny,” the bartender said as he pulled a shot glass and a three-quarters empty bottle of scotch from behind the counter. I don’t know much about good liquor, but the label on this one, with its black and white tangle of letters forming some unpronounceable Gaelic tongue twister, seemed to indicate a level of quality, and expense, that told me something about the man drinking.

The man ran a hand roughly through his dark hair, raking it back from his forehead. “You have a problem with taking my money?” he asked. The belligerence in his tone was crisp, and completely belied his appearance of unkempt drunkenness.

I knew he was stone cold sober. Liquor doesn’t have any power over men like him.

The bartender didn’t bother to reply to that, but looked at me, instead. “What can I get you?”

“Club soda. Twist of lime.”

I knew the order probably gave him a fair amount of insight into me. This place was all about drawing conclusions from scant evidence.

I was casting my mind over a dozen possibilities of ways to strike up a conversation, when the man next to me gave me a shrewd look. His fine, dark hair had fallen back into his face, and the eyes peering at me between the strands looked rather like those of some wild animal staring out from the bars of a cage. “Isn’t it a little early for club soda?” he asked, one corner of his mouth turning upward.

I shrugged. “It’s got to be after dark someplace,” I said. “And you look like a man who needs someone to—talk to.”

His eyes narrowed, speculatively, and he rolled his lower lip in, running the tip of his tongue across it. “Show me your throat,” he said. He spoke softly, but there was no doubt that this was a command, and not a request.

I tilted my head to the right and turned slightly to repeat the motion to the left. My new acquaintance pulled in a long breath, his nostrils flaring slightly. He hesitated for a few moments, and nodded. “Sometimes,” he commented, “when you get exactly what you ask for, turns out not to be what you thought.” He picked up the shot glass the bartender had filled, and drained it in one gulp. I saw the bartender wince slightly, and upped my estimate of the amount each of shot was costing. “Take scotch, for example. I used to think that to drink as much of this as I wanted, without getting drunk, or even hungover, would be a great thing. But you know what? It’s not as much fun. You don’t even get a buzz.” He paused, staring into the empty glass a few seconds before turning it over and adding it to the stack. Then he slapped his hand on the bar for another, and continued. “It was supposed to be a great solution, to death, dying, even getting old.” He laughed, a bitter, mirthless bark, and slapped the bar again.

The bartender silently placed a fresh glass in front of him, and he picked up the shot at once, sending it down with a practiced jerk of his wrist. Clink, another glass on the pyramid. Slap, a call for the next shot. “But you know what? All that death and pain I thought I was avoiding—I never saw any of it when I was alive, but now…I wade in it. Oceans of blood, endless death and decay.” He spat the last word out, disgustedly. “I never thought about all that, before.” And his mouth twisted into a bitter semblance of a smile. “They don’t exactly give you full disclosure, up front.”

“But you do get to stay young,” I responded. I knew it was pretty lame, but it was about the best I could do under the circumstances.

“Yeah, sure.” He slid his gaze in my direction once more. And I saw his tongue come out to slide across his lips again. He was thirsty, and for something besides scotch. “And what brings you over here, sweet thing? You wanting to try and mother me out of my mood?”

“Maybe.”

His shrug was eloquent. “Well,” he said, “I guess it’s worth a try.”

And with a word to the barman, he took my hand, and led me toward the bar’s back room.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Bar Scene (Challenge #166) - PG-13

Post by darkstarrising »

This is really cool, Lucky and gives a whole new meaning to 'bar scene'.
“Sometimes,” he commented, “when you get exactly what you ask for, turns out not to be what you thought.”
Isnt' that the truth, and not only for the living it seems.
"All that death and pain I thought I was avoiding—I never saw any of it when I was alive, but now…I wade in it. Oceans of blood, endless death and decay.”
This vamp would do anything to get drunk, and forget his 'life' if only for a little while. But it's the lady who has me intrigued. Is she a freelance freshie, or does she have other motivations for chatting up this vamp?
This place was all about drawing conclusions from scant evidence.
You've given us an intriguing story leaving us to draw our own conclusions :rose:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

This one is just lovely, and I think especially so because it is utterly mysterious. It's just a little slice out of time, but what delicious details you've given us! We may not know anything about these people, but somehow you've made us understand quite a bit about them. You are an artist of words, and in this story you've given me a noirish, dim-with-glints-of-light, atmospheric feeling that makes me very, very nostalgic for Moonlight. Thank you! :hug: :heart: :rose:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This is a wonderful piece and it could take place now or forty years ago. It feels timeless like a vampire
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Very mysterious. I liked it! I agree with Carole that it could take place in any era, and I like dsr's idea that maybe she is a freelance freshie.

Good job! :thumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks, ladies! I don't want to take away any of the mystery, but I think scenes like this probably play out frequently in the ML-verse.

And if I've intrigued you, then :hyper2: :teeth:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Ahhh, Lucky -- this was just wonderful to come "home" to. Image

It's already been quoted, but I just adore this line:
librarian_7 wrote:This place was all about drawing conclusions from scant evidence.
It's so very noir and it speaks volumes in just 10 words. :notworthy:

This is such a perfect slice of time. You've given us all the detail we need to be present in that moment and yet there's so much left unsaid. The balance is exquisite. :heart:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist

Return to “Drabbles and Short Pieces”