A Game of Chess, Chapter 22 - PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

A Game of Chess, Chapter 22 - PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

So, it’s been roughly FOREVER since I updated this. And I apologize for that. I’m going to try and do better. Honest. As always, many thanks to Allegrita for beta'ing this. She catches typos like a vamp catches freshies... :teeth:

A Game of Chess

Chapter 22

The interior of R.H. Macy’s department store was an assault upon the senses. Brilliant colors exploded everywhere, and the crowd, predominantly women, thronged the aisles, chattering and exclaiming with delight.

Josef had come in, expecting a typical dry goods store, only to be met with a scene that reminded him of nothing so much as the bazaars he had visited in the Far East. All that was missing was the heady scent of exotic spices, although he supposed that in an establishment as large as this there was a chance that a spice department might be tucked away in a corner somewhere. It certainly wouldn’t surprise him to run across the odd camel standing placidly, observing the crowds.

“Mr. Fitzgerald,” a feminine voice came from behind him, and he turned, his left hand reaching automatically to his hat, which he doffed in salute. Two ladies, dressed for a day out in wide hoops and wearing modest bonnets, were standing in the middle of the aisle.

“Mrs. Marshall,” he said, smiling politely. “I see that the rumors are true.”

Honoria Marshall frowned slightly and narrowed her eyes. “Mr. Fitzgerald,” she repeated, “what rumors are those?”

“Only that everyone who is anyone passes through Macy’s.” He leaned slightly to one side, to address the woman behind the formidable female before him. “And Mrs. Cam. It is always good to see you.”

Mrs. Cam’s face lighted, and she sketched a slight curtsy. “Mr. Fitzgerald,” she said, her voice barely loud enough to carry over the noise of the shoppers.

“And how are you ladies doing today? Finding treasure and plunder?”

Mrs. Marshall laughed. “You know how women are, Mr. Fitzgerald,” she replied. “Always looking for a little something.” In fact, she and her daughter-in-law were shopping for some new muslin petticoats, but that was hardly the type of thing a well-bred lady would mention to an acquaintance met by chance. “And what brings a busy man like yourself here?”

Josef grimaced. “I find myself in desperate need of handkerchiefs,” he said solemnly. “And I, alas, unlike your son, have no loving emissaries to make such forays on my behalf.”

Mrs. Marshall shook her head in feigned dismay. “Now that, sir, is a want you should remedy as soon as you can,” she said. “Surely there is some young lady who would endeavor to fill that need.”

Josef lifted an eyebrow, sardonically. “Trying to marry me off?” he replied. “But you must know, ma’am, there’s not a young lady I’ve met in New York who can compare to one such as yourself.” And that, he thought, was honestly the truth, although perhaps not quite in the spirit she was meant to take it.

Mrs. Marshall felt a flutter that she hadn’t experienced for some time. Usually, she was insusceptible to flattery; not that many men were rushing to flatter her, these days. But this Josef Fitzgerald… She decided it must be his resemblance to his uncle. “Now, Mr. Fitzgerald,” she said, “you are trying to turn an old lady’s head.”

“Not so old is all that,” he commented with a smile.

She laughed, an echo of the coquettish humor he’d known from her decades ago suddenly showing through the façade of years. “Are you forgetting that I have a son, almost your age?” At the mention of Cam, here expression grew severe. Just that morning, she had learned, to her outrage, that Cam was sleeping off yet another late night. She wished she could renew her plea to Mr. Fitzgerald for assistance, but the setting was too public. And besides, she was sure he was doing whatever he could. She changed the subject abruptly. “Will we be seeing you at Mr. and Mrs. Mainwaring’s Fourth of July ball?” she asked. “Most of the best people are summering out of the city, but it should be an agreeable gathering, nonetheless.”

“I have received an invitation,” Josef responded. “I’m debating whether or not to bring along my ward.”

“Oh,” Mrs. Marshall said, looking thoughtful, “Sky told me that you were seeing after – I thought it was two – children.”

Josef smiled. “That’s true,” he said, “but I fear Mr. Smith may have misled you a bit. Young master Larson is not quite 17, and Miss Tessa is certainly old enough to be out in society. But I can only bring her to a gathering of strangers if I know that she will be kindly treated. Mrs. Cam, could I count on you to take her under your wing?”

The young woman blushed again. “Of course, Mr. Fitzgerald,” she said. “I should be happy to meet her.”

Mrs. Marshall looked as though she had bitten into something unpleasant. While she had developed a fondness for Mr. Fitzgerald, her blindness regarding him did not extend to welcoming any questionable connections he might have. And for a man his age to have a ward old enough to be out in society… well. She’d have to question Sky about it. And she wasn’t going to listen to any of his dancing around the truth, this time.

Josef considered the situation. He cast his eyes down a little, feigning confusion and embarrassment. “To be honest, ladies,” he said, “I wasn’t entirely honest with you when I said I was only here in search of handkerchiefs.”

“Oh?”

“In fact, I had hoped to procure a suitable gown for young Miss Tessa to wear to the ball.” It was, to be sure, a snap decision. Five minutes ago, he had not even considered the possibility of taking his swallow out in public. It was risky. He’d have to speak to her about it, to be sure that no one would recognize her. He had always known, from her demeanor and her speech that she came from a respectable family. The question was, just how respectable? In the meantime, however, his instinct told him that this was the right move to take.

“A ball gown?” Mrs. Marshall looked scandalized, her eyebrows raising. “Surely, you realize you’ve left this until almost too late. Had I known, I could have sent over my modiste to make something suitable for the young lady.”

Even Mrs. Cam was shaking her head. “Oh, Mr. Fitzgerald,” she exclaimed in dismay, “a ready-made ball gown?”

Josef turned his hat in his hands. “You see,” he said, “I am in dire need of feminine assistance in this matter. Do you suppose you could find it in your hearts to assist me?”

Mrs. Marshall drew herself up, the look in her eye reminding Josef of expressions he had seen in the faces of attacking generals. “This girl,” she said in a commanding tone, “is she of good family, Mr. Fitzgerald?”

“Yes,” he replied. “She would’ve been out in society already, but when she was barely 16, there was a tragic accident. Her parents were killed, and she’s only recently completed her mourning. She was quite properly devoted to her family, and devastated to be left all alone. It was provident that her father had made some arrangements, at least. I was the only representative of my family near enough to take on the responsibility for her.”

“And how old is she?”

“She’s recently turned 19.” He made an apologetic grin. “I thought it was high time she should see something of society.” He shrugged. “And I thought perhaps the gift of a gown, and an evening of innocent merriment, would do her good.”

Mrs. Marshall actually forgot herself enough to share an exasperated glance with the usually disregarded young Mrs. Cam. It was the younger woman who spoke. “That’s a very lovely thought, Mr. Fitzgerald,” she said, “but you see, it’s not just a gown that you will need. Why, she’ll need shoes, gloves, a cloak to wear over her gown for the carriage ride. And – and—” she paused, and a wave of color stained her cheek. Josef thought it made her prettier than he’d ever seen her. “–she’ll need all the accompanying – un – unmentionables.” She said the last word in a rush, as if saying it faster would make it a less inappropriate statement. Her blush deepened, and she seemed to shrink back inside the sheltering brim of her bonnet.

“Now, dear, there’s no need to discuss that with Mr. Fitzgerald.” It was true, though, and Mrs. Marshall knew it well. Still, it was time for her to retake possession of the discussion. “Mr. Fitzgerald,” she said, “there is a salon upstairs, where they offer ready-made dresses. We shall see if anything can be found there that might be suitable for your ward.”

Josef smiled to himself, as he indicated that the ladies should lead the way. It would do them good, he thought, to feel a little power, a little sense of control in their universe. And besides, now that he thought about it, he owed Tessa something. :flowers:
LadyAilith
Fledgling

Re: A Game of Chess, Chapter 22 - PG-13

Post by LadyAilith »

Well done ! I'm always so very pleased to get a notice that there's a new chapter to one of your stories. I love Josef going shopping at Macy's. *snicker* I can just see him trying to wend his way through the crowd of ladies and their hoop skirts!

Thank you so very much for the new chapter. I'm looking forward to the next chapter in your tale.
LadyAilith :rose:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

LadyAilith, it is always good to see you! I'm so glad you're still enjoying my stories!

Thank you for reading and commenting.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love this story soooooo much. :cloud9: Josef is such a wonderful observer. I love the comparison of Macy's to an exotic bazaar. I guess a big department store must have been an amazing sight back then. Your stories often give me new things to think about, in addition to being ripping yarns. :teeth:

And speaking of ripping yarns, I am very interested in this new plot twist! What does Josef have in mind...? Whatever it is, I hope Tessa has a great time at the ball. :hearts:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I so love you ability to set a scene. I felt I was in Macys. So it will be interesting to see this turn of events.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I love how different Mrs. Marshall and Mrs. Cam are, and how you paint them. Josef truly can read people well. I am looking forward to them buying the unmentionables. Wouldn't it be improper of Josef to give them to Tessa himself?
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Glad to see a new chapter, Lucky :hug:

I just love how Josef effortlessly manipulates these two women; Mrs. Cam would be easy enough, but Mrs. Marshall? That's quite an accomplishment. But then again, he knows her all too well. :winky:

Cam is still misbehaving, something his mother would love to rectify, but it's Mrs. Cam who really suffers.

The discussion of how Mrs. Cam reacted to even uttering the word 'unmentionable' indicated just how shy and reserved this poor woman is. If only she knew about Josef and the real relationship he has with his 'ward' Tessa, she'd be scandalized indeed.

Loved this line as it conveys so many of the social constraints of the time, ones clung to by Mrs. Marshall. There are people, but then there are people and heaven forbid you find yourself with the wrong sort.
“Will we be seeing you at Mr. and Mrs. Mainwaring’s Fourth of July ball?” she asked. “Most of the best people are summering out of the city, but it should be an agreeable gathering, nonetheless.”
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thank you all so much for the comments!

Return to “A Game of Chess”