Taos Chapter 7 -- PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Taos Chapter 7 -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

Okay, so it's my birthday today. And I've had a long tradition of posting fic on my birthday--so this is it. :teeth: All the thanks to Allegrita, for beta'ing this, and for Lilly for help brainstorming on the contents of this chapter. It was sort of a last minute addition, and both those lovely ladies helped me with it. They are the best!

Taos

Chapter 7

Goodbyes

Outside the open window, the night sky was lightening into the soft gray that presaged dawn, and the birds were beginning to sing. Sarah turned over sleepily, and burrowed a little deeper under the warm wool blanket on her bed. Her last morning at the Wells Ranch had arrived, and she thought for a moment how pleasant it would be if she could just stay here, cozily in bed, forever.

It was far too early to get up. Even the early risers at the ranch would not be stirring yet. And she had done almost all of her packing the night before. All that remained was to dress for the trip down to Santa Fe, and slip her folded nightgown into her train case. She was a little surprised that she’d woken so early–she and Betty had stayed up late the night before, talking and making plans for the fall.

Even so, it had been later yet that she’d been disturbed by a commotion downstairs. It sounded as though Rob had come home very late, and judging from the noise, more than a little inebriated.

She hadn’t seen him since the night of the dance. He’d risen early the next morning, from what she heard later, and decided that he had business in Albuquerque. She’d only found out after she, Betty, and Miss O’Keeffe had returned from their expedition to the box canyon. Betty had noticed—well they all had noticed, really—that Rob wasn’t present at the dinner table.

When asked, Mrs. Wells had waived an airy hand. “Oh, he’s run off to the big city,” she said. “He gets to feeling awfully isolated, out here on the ranch.”

Mr. Wells had looked up from the rare steak he was methodically slicing, and grunted. “Gone tomcatting,” he said. “We didn’t even think about running off that way, when I was his age.”

“Now, dear,” Mrs. Wells replied, “things have changed, since we were young. And don’t tell me that you didn’t sow your fair share of wild oats.”

“Maybe so, but I did it closer to home.”

Betty laughed. “You know, Daddy,” she said, “I don’t really think I need to hear about this.”

The conversation had gone on into other topics, for which Sarah was grateful; and as the days passed without Rob’s return, she had begun to relax. She was thinking this morning, however, that an early appearance at breakfast might not be such a bad thing. From what she’d heard in the night, she didn’t think Rob would be rising too early. Nonetheless, she allowed herself the luxury of staying in bed until she heard others in the house began to stir.

After a good breakfast, during which Betty chattered about the many things to see and do in Santa Fe–probably enough to keep them busy for a week, even though they would only have one night–she and Sarah picked their way across to the barn. Sarah wanted to say goodbye to Clabber, and she’d stolen a few lumps of sugar from the breakfast table as a treat for the chestnut gelding. She figured she had enough to spare one or two lumps for Prolly as well. She and Betty both giggled a little over the tickling sensation of the horses’ soft lips taking the sugar carefully from their flattened hands.

“Jeff would have my hide,” Betty said, “if he caught me giving sugar to a horse. He says it’s not good for them.”

Sarah shrugged. “It’s just the once,” she said. “Surely it won’t do them any harm. Will it, boy?” She gave Clabber an affectionate pat on the neck. “It’s a shame we don’t have time for a ride.”

Betty laughed. “And smell like horse, all the way to Santa Fe? No, thank you!”

&&&

Her final packing was done, and her bags loaded in the back of Betty’s roadster. The little red car was nowhere near as large or flashy as Rob’s Lincoln, but very nice, just the same. The girls were just about to get into the car and set off—Sarah actually had the passenger door open—when Mrs. Wells clapped a hand to her forehead, exclaiming “Oh my gosh, I almost forgot!” and disappeared back into the house.

Sarah looked at Betty, who shrugged, and looked at her watch.

When Mrs. Wells reappeared a couple of minutes later, she was carrying a small, square envelope. “I don’t know what I was thinking,” she said, shaking her head. “When George left the other morning she told me to give this to you, and somehow or other it just slipped my mind. Anyway, here you are.”

“For me?” Sarah asked. “Really?” She didn’t want to open the note right that moment; Betty was getting impatient to be on the road. Sarah slipped the envelope into her purse, between the pages of the book she’d set aside to read the next day on the train. It would be safe there, and she’d be able to look at it when she had a little more privacy.

“Come on, come on,” Betty exclaimed. “It’s a long ways down to Santa Fe.”

But before they could settle into the car, the door of the hacienda opened again, and Rob Wells appeared. Sarah noted that he was looking a little worse for wear this morning. He hadn’t shaved yet, and dark whiskers shadowed his face. His eyes were red, with what Sarah was ready to ascribe, charitably, to a short night. And his face was slightly puffy.

“Well now,” Betty chirped, “don’t you look like three miles of bad road?”

Rob winced. “Not this morning, Buster.”

His sister wasn’t going to let a prime opportunity for teasing go, though. “Head a little tender?” she asked with false solicitude.

“Ha, ha.” He turned his gaze to Sarah. “I... I didn’t want to miss a chance to say goodbye,” he said.

Sarah felt desperately awkward, and also at something of a loss as to what to say to him. She fell back on her charm school training, and only hesitated for a beat before smiling brightly and replying, “It’s good of you to see me off.” There. If that lacked warmth, well, it was really about what he deserved. She turned to her hostess and, with considerably more sincerity, said, “Mrs. Wells, I can’t thank you enough for your wonderful hospitality. You made me feel so much at home.”

Mrs. Wells came forward then, and hugged her. “I should hope so,” she said, “and you know you’re always welcome here. Do come back anytime.”

Sarah returned the hug. Mrs. Wells and her own mother were so different, and in so many different ways, but underneath, they were the same, somehow. “If you ever come to New York, you must come and stay with us,” she said. “I know my parents will be more than delighted to have you.” It wasn’t exactly the truth, Sarah thought to herself. Well, she’d worry about that if Mr. and Mrs. Wells did decide to visit.

Rob handed Sarah into the front seat of Betty’s roadster, and everyone waved and shouted their final goodbyes as Betty drove down the gravel drive to the ranch gate on the highway. It was a relief to be out on the open road at last.

Pine and aspen forests gave way to colorful canyons, and broad valleys. They barely slowed as they passed through Ranchos de Taos. Sarah caught a glimpse of the adobe bulk of the church, as they whizzed by, but there was no time to say a proper goodbye. She wondered if she could find a print of Miss O’Keeffe’s painting of that building, back in New York. She would definitely have to look. When she mentioned it to Betty, her friend remarked that they could probably find one in Santa Fe, and that her Aunt Teresa would surely be able to help.

Even with a few stops, the trip went too quickly. Green chili and posole for lunch at a little café in Española, a break to snap pictures of a curious formation called Camel Rock, north of Santa Fe, and then the slow rise of the road and quick descent into the old town. Sarah sighed a little, not only for the beauty of the city, sprawling adobe houses and green cottonwood trees meshing in a gentle harmony, but also for the landscape behind her on the road. She’d enjoyed her time in New Mexico, and she looked forward to the evening in Santa Fe…but somehow, it seemed like she’d already bid farewell to the landscape, and to the piece of her heart it had captured.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Taos Chapter 7 -- PG-13

Post by darkstarrising »

Sarah sighed a little, not only for the beauty of the city, sprawling adobe houses and green cottonwood trees meshing in a gentle harmony, but also for the landscape behind her on the road. She’d enjoyed her time in New Mexico, and she looked forward to the evening in Santa Fe…but somehow, it seemed like she’d already bid farewell to the landscape, and to the piece of her heart it had captured.
*Sigh* What a beautiful description of the area and of Sarah's feeling as she prepares to leave New Mexico behind her.

The dinner table conversation provided a sharp contrast to the more relaxed atmosphere of the Wells ranch vs what Sarah might have heard in her own dining room. No wonder she was glad to change the subject.

Loved the way she handled Rob, though. Polite, but only just :snicker: Seems that there's more to him than meets the eye. Too bad he isn't more like his sister. I just wonder what the final chapter brings.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I guess Rob botched any chance of being liked by Sarah. Good for him to make the goodbye even more awkward. :snicker: :eyeroll:
I love your description of the landscape. And the horsies. And the little roadster.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

This chapter is a lovely depiction of Sarah's last day, and the process by which she begins to let go of this place and to prepare to return to New York. You can tell that she has truly been affected by her time in Taos, but as she says goodbye, she really is withdrawing from the place... but leaving a little bit of her heart there. I wonder if she ever told Josef about her visit to that area, and if he realized that she had met some old friends of his. :chin:

I loved the way she dealt with Rob. :snob: He had every reason to feel awkward, and she gave him the icily polite response he so richly deserved. :snicker: And I love her little side thoughts, as she was naughtily giving forbidden sugar to the horses "just this once", and generously inviting Mr. and Mrs. Wells but hoping they won't take her up on it. :winky: Imagine trying to talk Daddy into welcoming those rough-hewn Wellses into his rigidly proper world! :rolling:

It has been my great pleasure to beta this story. I really love your Sarah! :hearts:
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

I'm so glad that Mrs. Wells remembered to give Sarah that card! Very intriguing .... Sarah really must have made quite an impression on the artist. Hope we get to find out what's in the card in the next chapter ... I'll have to go and check that out right now.

Return to “Taos”