A note about the stories in my office

A place for HotMicks' G to PG-13 stories
HotMicks
Ancient

A note about the stories in my office

Post by HotMicks »

As anyone who’s a regular here knows, this whole fanfic writing thing recently came to me as a fluke. I honestly don’t know what triggered my imagination after all these years but I’m going with it, because I haven’t written fiction in so long and it’s nice to exercise those muscles a little bit.

However — and the point of this note — I am terrified to post any more without putting this out there. I have read very little fanfic over the years, but I know myself well enough to worry about this. I have a natural affinity for osmosis. Having moved around a lot as a kid, I learned early to absorb my surroundings very quickly and adapt.

So I have this nagging voice every time I go to post a fic that somehow I’ve reached deep in my brain when writing and lifted some phrase I read somewhere that I liked. I try to search on the phrases that really concern me, but I’m not sure how well the search function works and I might be totally overlooking something else I'm sure came to me in a dream. :laugh: So far, I haven’t found any hits on my search terms, so I’m hopeful it’s just a bit of Josef-induced paranoia. :eyeroll:

Regardless, I am posting this note to say upfront that if I’ve stolen one of your great lines (or worse yet, great story ideas), it was entirely unintended. If you send me a PM, I’ll remove it or replace it as soon as possible. And I’m truly sorry — consider it a compliment that it stuck in my feeble little brain that long. :rose:

There — I feel better now. :phew:

And I have a new story to post. :teeth:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: A note about the stories in my office

Post by francis »

Hey, I would regard it a compliment if you "stole" from me. Anyway, I am sure your stories will be much appreciated regardless. Thank you for writing! :hearts:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

You are so awesome to post this. :hug: I totally get what you mean--I've read tons of fanfic, and on one occasion I found out YEARS after I'd written a story that it had a really eerie similarity to a story (which I'd never previously read!) by one of my favorite writers. :gasp: :witsend: :blushing:

My personal philosophy is, be as true to your own vision as you can, and if you discover after the fact that you've inadvertently posted something that somebody else wrote first (or even something that looks scarily similar), talk to THEM and see how they feel about it. And if they're cool with your story as is, don't change it--but update the story post with a note acknowledging the similarity, and saying you've contacted the other author and received their blessing. :yes:

Of course, if the other person is upset by it, then try to work things out with them to your mutual satisfaction. :yes: And if you need help, please don't hesitate to contact the Admin/Mod staff for help. It's part of our job to try to help resolve conflicts and problems on the board. :ghug:

And let me echo francis by saying that I'm thrilled you're writing fanfic--I love your stories. :reading: :cloud9:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

What Alle said. After almost 8 years of ML fic, I've seen it happen more than once. Sometimes people do get upset, sometimes they just laugh it off as an homage.

We do want to see your stories! :hug:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Words evoke feelings, feelings prod the words...... I'm sure those affected feel they have inspired you.
drbell
Kostan Industries intern

Post by drbell »

Don't any of our artists EVER think their stories won't be a good read. I personally don't/can't write, so I read anything and everything about Moonlight, so everyone remember you have a fanatic for your fanfic!!! :clapping:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

That is a lovely thing for you to say, drbell! :hug: People write fanfic out of love, and the only payment they receive is the knowledge that people enjoy reading it. :heart: It's nice to know that there are still lovely people out there, hungering for more stories. It's inspiring. :rose:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

drbell wrote:Don't any of our artists EVER think their stories won't be a good read. I personally don't/can't write, so I read anything and everything about Moonlight, so everyone remember you have a fanatic for your fanfic!!! :clapping:

A big ol' :kiss: for you! You keep reading, I'll keep writing!

Return to “HotMicks' Office”