Silent Vigil (PG) - Challenge 162 1/19/15

A place for Darkstarrising's G to PG-13 stories
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Silent Vigil (PG) - Challenge 162 1/19/15

Post by darkstarrising »

This is my answer to Challenge 162 with the theme of 'broken' and / or healing, a peak into a father's mind after the return of his child.

As always, no copyright infringement is intended. I don't own any of the characters, but I do love to play with them.

Enjoy!

Silent Vigil

An anxious father sat near his child’s bed, keeping watch over his sleeping son.

The monster is gone, my son. I promise, he can’t hurt you anymore.

That vow had become a mantra of sorts, so often repeated in the last few days.

I don’t know who I’m trying to reassure, Jacob, you or myself. I’ve never wished harm on any man, but God help me, I’m glad that bastard is dead.

The boy stirred for a moment, his brow furrowing, but of what he dreamed, his father could only imagine.

Are you having a nightmare? How much of your ordeal will you remember? Only time will tell, but I pray it won’t be much. All that matters right now is that you’re back home, safe and sound.

Seeing the boy settle, Robert Fordham stood and stretched his weary frame. Between the stress of his son’s kidnapping and sleep deprivation, he was exhausted. Still, in the two nights since Jacob’s rescue, he’d kept vigil by his son’s bedside. Robert longed for the comfort of his own bed, but worry kept him near his only child. While Jacob’s kidnapper was indeed dead, Robert feared there were more like him hiding in plain sight.

How do I know who to trust anymore? The man who took you seemed harmless enough, or did I miss something?

Robert tried to remember any conversation he’s had with Ken Verdalino, wondering if there were danger signs he’d missed. Wanting to work at night hadn’t been a red flag; many on the renovation crew were likely working two jobs. If he’d had any concerns, any at all, Robert would have never let the man near his home, let alone near Jacob. Much as he tried, Robert couldn’t make sense of it all.

What kind of man buries a child alive? What caused him to become such a monster? I almost wish I’d never learned what he’d done to you. If you don’t have nightmares for the rest of your life, I just might

His own childhood brought more pleasant memories to mind.

I grew up in this house, happy and unafraid, blissfully ignorant of the evil in the world. When I was your age, I walked to school, played in the street with my friends, even rode my bike to the ball park and never thought anything of it. No one did. Of course there were predators then, but there seem to be so many more now, or maybe we’re just more aware of them. I’m sorry one found you, but we were lucky, Jacob. You made it home again, alive. I know there were other boys who didn’t.

Slipping his hand into his pocket, Robert withdrew a business card that young woman, Beth, had given him after Jacob’s rescue. Seems she’d had a similar experience as a child and cautioned that it would take some time, perhaps years, for Jacob to fully recover from his ordeal. If he and his wife wished, she could put them in touch with a counselor who could help. He’d thanked her, but first, he knew Jacob had to feel safe in his own home again. Only then could his healing begin. Only then could his parents begin to breathe again.

I knew becoming a parent at my age would be challenging, but never in my worst nightmares would I have imagined this. I felt so helpless, knowing there was nothing I could say or do to ease your mother’s breaking heart. Every hour you were gone, I grew more desperate. I nearly lost hope that I’d ever see you again. Thank God Mick didn’t. I owe him everything. We all do.

The motion of a swaying tree drew Robert to the window. The wind had picked up and lightening flashed in the distance. A thunderstorm was coming, early for this time of year, but welcome, nonetheless, bringing much needed rain. Hopefully, the storm would not disturb his son’s slumber.

Bone tired and feeling every minute of his age, Robert sank back into the chair. More than anything, he wanted to crawl into bed with his wife and drift off into a deep, dreamless sleep. But that was a luxury he couldn’t afford, not just yet. Jacob would recover eventually, but for now, Robert felt his presence would reassure his son, should he wake, or perhaps it was the other way around.

I don’t know what I would have done if Mick hadn’t found you. I know I didn’t thank him properly at the time because all I could do was hold you and cry. How could I not? Despite the odds, the most precious thing in my life had been returned to me. But for the efforts of a total stranger, my tears might have fallen for a far worse reason and likely never stopped.

As the storm drew near, Robert began to doze, his chin drooping ever closer to his chest. Eventually, the gentle patter of raindrops on the roof lulled him to sleep. If only the rain could wash away memories of the last few days, they could all sleep in peace.

Outside the young boy’s window, a man crouched in a tree, resolved to protect what was his.

The monster is gone, my son. No one will hurt you or your family like that ever again. I promise.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Silent Vigil (PG) - Challenge 162 1/19/15

Post by allegrita »

Oh, that's wonderful, DSR... like a spiral! Robert is protecting his son, and Mick is protecting his... son? :chin: Family isn't all about DNA. But then again... they do look an awful lot alike. :brow: I love the way this story curls through the themes of the show--of loss and redemption, sorrow and hope, monsters and good men, of guarding those we love from danger, of healing from terrible scars and learning how to move on. And through it all, Beth's story curls as well. The child taken by a predator, rescued by her guardian angel, and growing strong in the faith that, somehow, she's safe, despite all that happened to her. And the spiral is repeating in Jacob. :hearts:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This really is beautiful. A parent's worst nightmare and dealing with the aftermath and Mick the protector.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

allegrita wrote:Oh, that's wonderful, DSR... like a spiral! Robert is protecting his son, and Mick is protecting his... son? :chin: Family isn't all about DNA. But then again... they do look an awful lot alike. :brow: I love the way this story curls through the themes of the show--of loss and redemption, sorrow and hope, monsters and good men, of guarding those we love from danger, of healing from terrible scars and learning how to move on. And through it all, Beth's story curls as well. The child taken by a predator, rescued by her guardian angel, and growing strong in the faith that, somehow, she's safe, despite all that happened to her. And the spiral is repeating in Jacob. :hearts:
Thanks, alle :hug: I tried to time this (two nights after Jacob's return) so that the DNA results hadn't come back yet. Until they did, Mick was more or less convinced that Robert was his son. When he does get the DNA results, i don' think that will change his protective feelings toward Robert and Jacob. Beth's experience will help guide Robert and Jacob through recovery.
cassysj wrote:This really is beautiful. A parent's worst nightmare and dealing with the aftermath and Mick the protector.
Thanks, carol :hug: I can only imagine how a parent would feel when their child is abducted and not knowing if they'd ever be found again.

I almost didn't post this...it seemed too similar to Reflections which provides the thoughts of Beth's mother after her child is returned to her. In some ways, the two parents' thoughts are similar (their desperation while their child is missing, their feeling of relief to have their child back, their gratitude to Mick), but there were differences as well. Beth's mother focused on having Beth back and not asking too many questions about how Mick rescued her. She didn't want to know and cocooned herself with her child, shutting out the rest of the world, temporarily at least. Robert, on the other hand, starts to look beyond Jacob's abduction. He's worried about the aftereffects on his son and questions his ability to protect Jacob (what did he miss, who can he trust). He wants to know about the man who abducted his child,hoping to find some clue to help him protect Jacob from similar sorts.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “Darkstarrising's Office”