Turncoat (PG-13, Champagne Challenge #160)

A place for Allegrita's G to PG-13 stories
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Turncoat (PG-13, Champagne Challenge #160)

Post by allegrita »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's note: This story was written for Champagne Challenge #160 and is rated PG-13. My thanks to RosM for helping me with the French. :hug:

Turncoat

“What do you mean, she’s gone?!” The old man’s voice was a roar of fury.

“She is… not in the house nor on the grounds, mon père.” Lance’s face was utterly expressionless: only those who knew him well could see the tightness in his jaw that signaled the intensity of his emotion.

“And the balm of deception?”

A shake of the head. “Missing as well. All of it.”

Merde.” His father’s fingers curled into claws and he gripped the ornate arms of his chair, crushing the wood into splinters and shreds of gold leaf. “La fille stupide! Elle va détruire notre famille. It must be found at once. And she must be brought to heel, before she ruins us all.”

Lance nodded. “C’est déjà fait, seigneur. I will see to it immediately.” He reached for the bellpull, and gave swift orders to the lackey who appeared. The man hurried out at superhuman speed, and Lance turned back to his sire.

“Arrangements are being made, mon père. I suspect she has fled to America, but it may take some time to track her whereabouts.”

“Time?” His father arose from the ruined chair, dusting splinters from his fingers, and strode toward Lance, forcing him to retreat step by step until his back was against the sideboard. Taking Lance’s lapels in both hands, he growled, “Time is the one thing we cannot afford. Spare no expense, but find cette chienne traître, immédiatement! And by no means must you divulge the reason you search for her. To lose the ointment is to lose much of our leverage amongst the old families. No one is to know, do you hear me?” His eyes flashed silver, and sharp fangs elongated behind drawn-back lips.

“Of course, Papa.” Lance’s pleasant tenor was the slightest bit higher than normal, but he kept his body relaxed, unresisting.

Abruptly, his sire released his coat and turned away, shouting, “J’ai faim!

Lance quickly smoothed the fabric of his jacket into place and assumed a pose of casual ease just as a young woman emerged from the anteroom. She approached the lord and curtsied, eyes cast down and graceful wrist extended, but he shook his head, gesturing toward the broken chair. “I’ll not stand like a peasant, girl.” Taking her hand roughly, he dragged her to the chair and sat, pulling her onto his lap. The girl’s eyes widened, then shut in submission as he bit deep, shaking her entire body with the force of his drinking. Lance knew she would not survive. A pity; he’d liked that one. She always smelt of lily of the valley. Ah, well. They never lasted long when Father was in such a mood.

Seeing that his sire was momentarily occupied, Lance slipped a phone out of his pocket and called his man. “What have you learned?”

“Enquiries are progressing, my lord. It appears that your sister and her companion left in a dark gray Renault just before dawn; unfortunately, that means they’ve had several hours’ head start.”

“My dear sister always did have a good head for a plan,” Lance said. “And that girl of hers will do anything Coraline asks of her.” He stood a moment, tapping a forefinger against his lower lip. “They’ve likely abandoned the car already, but report it stolen, nonetheless. Then pack for a longish journey. Have the jet prepared for immediate departure. We must be ready to leave within the hour.”

“And where shall I say we are flying, my lord?”

“New York. She lived there for years; she still has friends there. But so do I.” Despite not having visited for nearly a hundred years. Yes, there were certain benefits to this new era of worldwide technology.

“Very well, my lord. All will be ready.”

“And then we shall see if my sweet sister and her most helpful ghost are as good at hiding as we are at seeking,” said Lance, pocketing the phone. A smile curved his lips, but did not reach his eye. Coraline likely had no idea of the catastrophe she had unleashed on the family. From the earliest days after her transformation, she had been willful, always taking what she wanted with no regard for the consequences. But this… this was a betrayal of epic proportions. To squander their precious supply of the compound, which had protected them all throughout the centuries, for her own selfish purposes, was to put the entire Duvall family at risk. Lance had never before heard their father use the word “traitor” to refer to any of his children. Coraline would pay for this, and pay dearly. And, of course, Lance was the one elected to pick up the pieces, undo the damage, and bring the prodigal home.

A thud interrupted his reverie, and he glanced up to see his father stepping over the body sprawled on the parquet floor. “Do something with that,” the old man said as he swept toward the door. “And send me daily reports of your progress!”

“But of course, mon père,” said Lance to the empty room. He contemplated summoning the lackey once again, but decided against it. Crouching down, he gathered the girl into his arms. For a moment, he buried his nose in her crisp, auburn curls. A faint scent of muguet des bois wafted into his nostrils, perfumed by the tang of her terror-rich blood. “Helas, tant pis,” he murmured, touching his tongue to the little rivulet of scarlet running down her neck. She’d been lovely.

Another mirthless smile crossed his face as he stood with the dead girl in his arms. “Eh bien, c’est la vie.” He carried the body to the anteroom and laid it on the divan. “See that she is properly disposed of,” he said to the maîtresse. “I’ve work to do.”
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Turncoat (PG-13, Champagne Challenge #160)

Post by Lilly »

Oh, Alle!! What a wonderfully unexpected take on the "Turn" challenge! Image :heart:

This is just brilliant. :notworthy: It just so utterly rich and deceptively calm in its exposition. I think the inclusion of a bit of the French language worked well here. That can be a tricky thing, but the way you've used it underscored that you've taken us someplace we have never been before. We're clearly not in Kansas Los Angeles anymore. And even for those, like me, who aren't well versed in the language, it's still easy to follow the dialogue and understand the meaning. :thumbs:

I love that you didn't describe the physical appearance of the elder vampire, but instead left that to the readers' imaginations. You did, however, paint a chilling portrait of his ruthlessness and authority, and in doing so you clearly informed Lance's motivations in tracking Coraline.

I can't say enough about how perfectly restrained this piece is. And that's what makes it so very effective. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

You've given us a better understanding of Lance in this piece, alle :hug: When we saw him in the series, he was calm and arrogant, letting all he encountered know who was in charge. In the presence of his sire, he remains calm, knowing that being anything else would be a sign of weakness in his sire's eyes, something that wouldn't be tolerated.

What I really like about this piece is the peek you give us of Lance's inner thoughts. His mind is plotting and planning how to retrieve his traitorous sister and minimizing any damage caused by her actions. Yet he's momentarily distracted by the poor freshie whose blood is drained away in his sire's rage, regretting her loss:
For a moment, he buried his nose in her crisp, auburn curls. A faint scent of muguet des bois wafted into his nostrils, perfumed by the tang of her terror-rich blood. “Helas, tant pis,” he murmured, touching his tongue to the little rivulet of scarlet running down her neck. She’d been lovely.

Too bad, indeed. By the way he almost tenderly handled her lifeless body, I have to wonder if it was something more than her blood he would miss. :chin:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

This explains a lot about why Lance came to the U.S. (when Josef told Mick he never leaves Europe) and his demeanor when he arrived. Very well done!

:thumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:hug: Alle, this is just wonderful... The depth of characters, the interaction between father and son. Goodness, it explains so much about why Lance is the way that he is. His behaviour is clearly that of a man who will do anything to keep is family, and ultimately his father, happy.

Thank you so much for sharing their story with us! I think that now, whenever I see him appear on the balcony...? I'll be able to think of the driving force behind him being there. :flowers: Brilliant! :hug:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Brilliant. Just...brilliant.

Can't tell you how much I loved, "balm of deception." It has a wonderfully antiquated feel to it, and yet captures the essence of the cure.

We just knew so little about Lance, and about Coraline, for that matter. It makes speculating on them so much fun.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thank you so much, everyone! :ghug: I really enjoyed writing this story, and I'm very glad it worked for you. I think Lance is a fascinating character. I always wondered how he managed to have such an air of authority and menace when his mannerisms weren't all that threatening in themselves. I think he has to be a very subtle and clever person to have survived so long in such a powerful family, and you could tell how accustomed he was to being in a position of authority. But "He," whoever He is, is definitely the guy who pulls everyone's puppet strings. It was lots of fun to visit them at home, so to speak. :teeth:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

You've given us a surprisingly sympathetic portrayal of Lance here, Alle, and I think you've captured a certain self possession that others can mistake for arrogance. He is outwardly dispassionate about the fates of Coraline and the girl, but with a hint of inner regret, about the girl at least, that intrigues me. There seems to be more curiosity than concern about Coraline's actions and there is a sense that he is savouring the prospect of the chase. Your version of Lance could conceivably be turned into a darkly romantic hero. You also hint at more Duvall backstory about the cure that I wish we got a chance to find out more about in the series.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Luxe, how wonderful to see you! :hug: Thank you for your comment. I agree, Lance is a really interesting character and could be interpreted in so many ways. Darkly romantic hero? :chin: It would be lots of fun to try to pull that off! :teeth: In the old days, that might cause a riot--but we're a lot less volatile nowadays, thank goodness. :laugh:

Return to “Allegrita's Office”