Kith and Kin, PG, One-shot

A place for LaughtersMelody's G to PG-13 stories
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Kith and Kin, PG, One-shot

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Title: Kith and Kin
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight, nor am I making any money from this, though I'm certainly having fun playing with the characters. No infringement intended.
Warnings: Implied attempted assault. If you're sensitive to the topic, please read with care.
Summary: Perhaps, Coraline thought later, she had just gained a friend.

A/N: This was inspired by a comment that diane31 left in a review on my fic, Hearsay.Thank you, diane31! Originally, I was going to try to make it another answer to Champagne Challenge #159, but it just wouldn’t fit in seven sentences, lol.

As always, I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is the source of all inspiration.

~*~*~*~*~

Kith and Kin

Coraline was returning to her chambers from her father’s study when she heard a startled gasp and paused.

Frowning faintly, she looked into a nearby alcove to find that her brother had cornered one of the maids, and he was advancing on the woman with a smirk that Coraline recognized all too well from the Court.

The maid had pressed her back against the wall and was watching him with wide eyes, though there was a defiant edge to the way she held herself even then.

Before Coraline had realized it, she was speaking.

“Lance.”

He turned around to face her, annoyance plain on his face, and she forced herself not to react; she had not always feared him - once, as a little girl, she had even been somewhat fond of him - but he’d grown increasingly malicious over the years. Of late, it seemed that only their father and the King still had the ability to command him.

“What is it?” he demanded.

“Father would like to speak with you.”

It was not quite a lie - their father had mentioned that he and Lance had business to discuss, though he had not said that the matter was urgent.

“Now?” he asked, eyes narrowed.

“Yes,” she answered, hoping that, if he discovered the truth, the shreds of the bond they’d shared as children would be enough to protect her.

To her great relief, Lance gave a frustrated sigh, then, sparing one last smirk for the maid, he turned and left.

The maid slowly stepped away from the wall, though she was now watching Coraline warily, clearly not sure what to expect.

Coraline studied her thoughtfully.

She had seen the woman about the house before, though she’d largely ignored her as she did most of the staff.

The maid was shorter than Coraline herself, but willowy, with intelligent blue eyes, and sharp, fine features; a few strands of blonde hair were visible beneath the cap she wore. The faint lines around her eyes and mouth suggested that she was older than Coraline, perhaps by a handful of years or more, but she still had her youthful looks and was certainly beautiful enough to have attracted Lance’s attention.

And Lance, Coraline knew, would find the maid again soon enough. There was little she could do for her, unless…well, perhaps there was something.

“What is your name?” Coraline asked.

“Cynthia, my lady.”

“Cynthia, I find that I’m in need of a new chambermaid. You’ll do. Come with me and we’ll discuss your duties.”

The woman stared at her in surprise for a long moment, long enough that when Coraline turned to leave, the maid had to hurry to catch up. When she did, she stayed a respectful half-step behind.

“My lady?” she said eventually.

“Yes?”

“Thank you.”

And Coraline smiled.

Fin

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: I imagine them being friends before they were turned, so this is set before that particular event. Thank you for reading, and of course, please let me know what you think! :blinksmile:

-Laughter
Last edited by LaughtersMelody on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Kith and Kin, PG, One-shot

Post by allegrita »

I like this a lot. :yes: You can tell that Cynthia has a huge amount of loyalty for Coraline, and something like this scene could so easily be the beginning of that relationship! Thanks for giving us a peek into that time of their lives. There are a whole bunch of stories that could be written about those two through the centuries.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I love this!!

While it is dificult to picture Cynthia as a victim, her position would have put her into a subserviant role to some...how shall we say this...really mean vampires. It's plauible that the early stages of their relationship were formed over protecting her from Lance.

Nicely done!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

Love it! I am so glad you wrote this! :hearts:
allegrita wrote:You can tell that Cynthia has a huge amount of loyalty for Coraline, and something like this scene could so easily be the beginning of that relationship!
I completely agree!

And I'm happy for both of them that they now have each other in their lives. ;-)

Return to “LaughtersMelody's Office”