Sophia in "Gallows Hill" - title changed to "The Damned"

Kee
Fledgling

Re: Sophia filming "Gallows Hill"

Post by Kee »

MoonMarg wrote:
Kee wrote:
r1015bill wrote:This will be coming to the US.
And I bet it will go straight to DVD.

:scary: :scary:

:snicker: Oh Kee, I love how you are always so subtle with your dislike of Sophia. :whistle:
Well to be honest if this does happen and the movie goes straight to DVD it certainly won't be her fault. A foreign film with a small budget of two million dollars would keep it off the big screens. That's not to say it won't be a good movie. We've all seen blockbuster movies with huge budgets that bombed. But I wish her luck because I know she has fans here.

Which brings up a question. After Moonlight was cancelled why didn't she hook up with another show? It didn't take Alex long to get on another show and Jason Dohring has worked steady too. I admit sometimes it is hard for me to separate the actress from the character she played on that show but she wasn't an awful actress. With all the new TV shows that have come on since the cancellation of Moonlight surely there was room on one of them for her? That's what puzzles me.
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

She did have other work. It's just that it was in England where she returned shortly after Moonlight ended. She also took time out to travel in South East Asia.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Sophia, aside from Jason, was the most recognized actor when Moonlight aired--at least for me bc at the time, I hadn't viewed Veronica Mars yet. (Loved Tristan and Isolde :happysigh: ) As we've seen with Alex--who struggled finding a steady gig, even as he nabbed a movie role and tv series --it isn't easy getting subsequent jobs that stick. Some are very small, indie projects. Shannyn also has been working, just not in high profile projects (except for last year's "Mistresses" tv show). Acting is a tough, tough gig, unless you're in the top tier where you can pick your projects. For most people, it's a job--you take what you can get to pay the bills and hope for the best.

Anyhow, I wish Sophia all the luck in the world. To me, she was the second best thing about ML. :hearts:
Kee
Fledgling

Post by Kee »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Sophia, aside from Jason, was the most recognized actor when Moonlight aired--at least for me bc at the time, I hadn't viewed Veronica Mars yet. (Loved Tristan and Isolde :happysigh: ) As we've seen with Alex--who struggled finding a steady gig, even as he nabbed a movie role and tv series --it isn't easy getting subsequent jobs that stick. Some are very small, indie projects. Shannyn also has been working, just not in high profile projects (except for last year's "Mistresses" tv show). Acting is a tough, tough gig, unless you're in the top tier where you can pick your projects. For most people, it's a job--you take what you can get to pay the bills and hope for the best.
Yes it sure is a tough job. But you would think with her smile and good looks she could have landed a part somewhere. No offense to the girls on Two Broke Girls but Sophia Myles is a more accomplished actress, from at least what I read about her.
I am not saying Sophia Myles should have been on that show but the opportunities that opened up for those two should be the same if not more for her.

Fleur de Lisa wrote: Anyhow, I wish Sophia all the luck in the world. To me, she was the second best thing about ML. :hearts:
Sure. Without her and Mick there could not have been a show.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Kee wrote: Yes it sure is a tough job. But you would think with her smile and good looks she could have landed a part somewhere.
Here's the thing...we think it's tough, but read this article from an industry insider, talking about all the hurdles to being cast on a series.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2010/02/g ... k-her.html

Bottom line, looks and talent aren't all that it takes. There are hundreds of talented, beautiful actresses, who never make it.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Great article, lucky.
It's a needle in a haystack chance of being cast. Wow--one really has to have tough skin and a serious case of perseverance. I would be an anxious, stressed out mess in that industry!

And there are plenty of gals with smiles and great looks, who can't act their way out of a box who get cast in tv series and movies. Guess they fit into the "guys want to f*** her" category!!
Kee
Fledgling

Post by Kee »

librarian_7 wrote:
Kee wrote: Yes it sure is a tough job. But you would think with her smile and good looks she could have landed a part somewhere.
Here's the thing...we think it's tough, but read this article from an industry insider, talking about all the hurdles to being cast on a series.

Wow. I didn't know it was that tough.
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

librarian_7 wrote:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2010/02/g ... k-her.html

Bottom line, looks and talent aren't all that it takes. There are hundreds of talented, beautiful actresses, who never make it.
Oh God - thank goodness I decided to be an accountant !!! :giggle:

It does remind me though of the original ML pilot. Show got picked up & all the cast got fired except for Alex. How lucky he was. And how lucky it was the lady from CBS liked him ( can't remember her name - was it Nina?)

Back to Sophia - I think she did an amazing job on ML with her accent. When I first heard her speak with her native tongue I was so shocked.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Gallows Hill has been chosen as an official selection of the Colombian Film Festival to be held in NYC from March 25 through March 30.

The film festival website is here: http://colfilmny.com/

Gallows Hill will be showing on on 3/28 at 8:30pm. Tickets can be obtained here: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/gallows-hil ... 3?aff=eorg

And the really good news comes via Twitter:
ColFilmFestNYC ‏@ColFilmFestNYC 2h
We're expecting in New York all @GallowsHillFilm cast! @victorgfy @peterfacinelli @SophiaMyles @nathalia73 @carolinaguerram @bastianmarti
:hyper2:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Lilly wrote:Gallows Hill has been chosen as an official selection of the Colombian Film Festival to be held in NYC from March 25 through March 30.

The film festival website is here: http://colfilmny.com/

Gallows Hill will be showing on on 3/28 at 8:30pm. Tickets can be obtained here: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/gallows-hil ... 3?aff=eorg

And the really good news comes via Twitter:
ColFilmFestNYC ‏@ColFilmFestNYC 2h
We're expecting in New York all @GallowsHillFilm cast! @victorgfy @peterfacinelli @SophiaMyles @nathalia73 @carolinaguerram @bastianmarti
:hyper2:
It looks to me on the website that the movie itself is also airing on March 29th at 8:15P

ETA the word also
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Good catch, Carol. :thumbs: I saw the first listing and I didn't look any further.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, cool! I'd love to see this do well. She seemed to love making it.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

There is also a third showing of Gallows Hill on Sunday March 30th at the Film Festival. I'll be going this Friday night. :clapping:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I saw Gallows Hill. I've seen better horror movies it was very much an Exorcist rip off. Sophia did get to use her British accent. She did have a good amount of screen time I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Once Moonlight was cancelled could her Visa been terminated? Anyway she was alone and there was something about her dog and it all led to her returning home.

I love her to death (every interaction with her was gracious and kind) however to break out of the Queens of Horror Room that she was relegated to at Chiller she will have to form a relationship with Josh Whedon and get into his type of productions.....

I plan on supporting Sophia as I always have...I purchase her films.

Return to “Current Projects”