Alex is going to be a Dad (again)!

Locked Alex threads are here.
maggatha3
Ancient

Re: Alex is going to be a Dad (again)!

Post by maggatha3 »

Agatharchides is also a real name, I assure you! I am glad they didn't call the little baby...such a name. Even if it is Greek, ancient and real! :snicker: Though I would still love and adore this little baby! By the way...photos go around, supposedly to be of the baby...
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I think everyone here will agree that, whatever their motivation for naming their little boy Lion (and considering what private people they both are, we aren't likely to ever know what that was), they are entitled to name him whatever they like. And by the same token, we are entitled to like the name or not. But it's extremely unlikely that we will all agree on whether or not it's a good idea to give your child a non-standard name. And that's perfectly okay.

Honestly, I think this is one of those times that people are just going to have to agree to respectfully disagree. :ghug:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

allegrita wrote:Ma Fleur, I must beg to differ with you very slightly, and most respectfully. I think it would be more accurate to say, "the whole creative culture, baby naming thing." I think there is a tendency among extremely clever, creative, intelligent people to use that creativity in naming their kids. I know for a fact that among creative people here in Southern California, most of whom have no pretense toward celebrity, there are many, many kids with names that lots of people would call outlandish. It's by no means limited to celebrities... they're just the folks whose kids' names we hear about. In fact, I think it's safe to say that Alex had no inkling at age 20, when Saxon was born, that he'd ever be a celebrity.

Whether other people think those creative folks are right or wrong to use their creativity in that particular way, they have every right to do it. And I think that kids raised by creative people are very lucky people in a lot of ways. They are surrounded by all the possibilities that the imagination can create. And when they get older, if they don't like their given name, they can choose another one. I think little Lion, however his name is pronounced, will be raised in such a way that he will be able to cope with everything the world throws at him... including possible criticisms of his name.

Agree with you 100%, Alle. Never said nor suggested that it wasn't a person's right. Just as it's my right to shake my head at the name Lion!! I was only stating my opinion--I don't like the name. I am not referencing bullying or Internet idiots (bc frankly, I don't read that crap anyhow) who are dissecting the name like they do everything else about Alex. Whether he has 'gone Hollywood' (whatever that means), hasn't or is in the midst of Hollywoodizing himself makes no difference to me. Whatever his motivations, I am SURE none of them were "oh, I think I'll give my kid a name that people will guffaw over". I'm sure him and the gf had the best intentions, I just don't get it. That's all.

The only point I'll slightly disagree with you on is why name your kid something so outlandish that the thought of 'well, they can always change it when they're older' even enters your mind? That's a red flag!

PGal said it better than I in her previous post. All I'll add is that no one is right or wrong here. Just opinions. Some like the name--good for them. Some don't--good for them, too. Some don't care one way or another. Arguing about it is like fighting with someone over which ice cream flavor is best. There is no right or wrong answer, just a personal opinion.

And to further confuse the issue--I always kinda liked the name Saxon. I think it's cool. Spike--nope. To me, that sounds like a name only man's best friend should have. Lion---frankly, don't know what it make of it!

And I like chocolate chip.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

I don't know, Fleur, but it seems to me that chocolate chip falls into the category of non-traditional name. Just sayin' :shrug:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

nutmegger911 wrote:I don't know, Fleur, but it seems to me that chocolate chip falls into the category of non-traditional name. Just sayin' :shrug:

:rolling: :rolling:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Okay, I'll say this--I've always liked Saxon as a name. It's different, without being outlandish. Kinda feeling the same way about Lion. Might not be a name I'd choose, but...it's Alex and Malia's call. And I can certainly respect that.

There's a difference between unusual, creative, and interesting, and just cruelly stupid and ridiculous.

I've got a first name that's unusual but not non-traditional, if that makes sense. It gets misspelled. A LOT. And you know, there are a whole bunch of worse things in life.
kalua
Freelance freshie

Post by kalua »

I can't say I like the name Lion, but there is much worse.
In Italy the equivalent (Leone) is rather unusual, but it's considered quite aristocratic. Evidence is that the president of FIAT John Elkann and his wife Lavinia Borromeo, member of a noble family dating back to the 13th century, have called their son Leone. They also have children with the name of Oceano (ocean) and Vita (life). :eyeroll:

Oh, and there have been 13 popes named Leone.
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

It would be interesting to find out how "Lion" is pronounced. If it does sound like Lee-on that wouldn't be an unusual name at all. I know heaps of Leon's here in Australia. I guess we won't know unless Alex does an interview and we can hear for ourselves.
janicevictoria
Fledgling

Post by janicevictoria »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:You've got to be kidding me.

Lion?

Sorry, but I am so over the whole celeb culture, baby naming thing. Apple. Inspektor Pilot (Jason Lee's kid). Moxie Crime Fighter (Penn Jillette). Lion.

:banghead:

Lucky--- :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Now I'm LOLing!!

Couldn't agree more, Fleur ...Apple, Moonunit, Fifi Trixabelle...the list goes on... :shrug:

Thanks to Pinkiepie for my lovely banner
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Just as a very peripheral thing... I wonder how many people with weird/nontraditional names end up changing them to something more "normal"? :chin: I knew a couple of people who legally changed their very staid, traditional names to something outlandish... but that was back in the 70's. :snicker:

BTW, I didn't mean to suggest above that I thought Alex and Malia went into the naming process thinking, "Well if he doesn't like this name he can always change it someday." That was my own, after-the-fact thought about kids with unusual names. I believe that Alex has nothing but love in his heart for his new little boy and that he wouldn't do anything that he thought would be detrimental to him. Creative name or ordinary name, it's a safe bet that Lion will never be an ordinary kid, or lead an ordinary life. Not with those two for parents. :thud: Who knows why they chose it? Maybe they decided they should start him off on his journey with a special name as a symbol of that special life. Or maybe not. :laugh: Lion is not a name I would ever have chosen for my own child. But maybe it'll be perfect for this particular little guy. I hope so, for his sake. :hearts:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

My daughter's first name is somewhat unusual and her middle name is invented. Not because we are into the apparently horrifying "celebrity naming thing" but because these names had meaning for US. Peeps love her names. They are both beautiful, as is she. And no one. No. One. Has ever made fun of her names. Ever.

With the exception of my elderly parents.

As I have said, younger people do not get bent out of shape, or even bat an eye, over different names. Indeed, they often attract other children.

Alex seems very grounded and very anti celebrity. Guessing Lion has actual meaning for him and Malia and was chosen for that reason rather than for headlines, which he normally eschews. I wish for them the same lovely experience, outside of the Internet at least, that we have enjoyed with our daughter.

Tho the hard work of parenting will have much more impact upon the child's life than his slightly unusual name. But Alex and Malia are old pros, and already know that.

And Alle, Zowie Bowie did change his name... To John or something really common, when he became a teen. :wave:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

In all the fury over the boy's name.....no one has announced length or weight or the condition of the Mother and child.

I get nervous about things like this.... I just want to hear everything is 100% OK!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I noticed that too, Lucy. But I'm comforting myself that they wouldn't have announced his birth so soon, had there been problems with him or his mother. :fingerscrossed:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

I think not getting the full details has more to do with protecting their privacy than anything else. I can accept that since I'm not really one of their closest friends. :snicker:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Excellent point, Rhonda. I kinda figured that as well--those details are what you hear from friends and family, not strangers. I figure that the baby and mom are doing well, since Alex is obviously around and about and looking happy. And I don't really care about the details either--just that things are good for all of them. :cloud9:

Return to “The Alex Archives”