Grand Central -- PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Grand Central -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

AN: Today is a special day! It’s Lilly’s birthday, and knowing how she loves Josef and Sarah, I wrote this story as a gift for her. This is the flip side of a story I wrote some time ago…look for it at A New Beginning.

ETA: :slaphead: I must mention that Allegrita did some extensive beta'ing on this...and as always, made it better!

Disclaimer: I can’t really tell you who owns these lovely characters…but I know it isn’t me. No infringement is intended.

Grand Central

Sarah Whitley jammed a hatpin through the blue and white straw of her new hat, and winced a little at the sting as the point grazed a scratch on her scalp. She didn’t care, though. She was too furious to even think straight, at the moment. She’d smeared her lipstick twice, her hands were shaking so badly. She swept the crimson-stained tissues off the vanity into the wastebasket and yanked on her gloves, glancing at the clock. Teresa and Dolly were expecting her for lunch, but she was too angry to put up with their gossip today. She realized with a start that she’d been losing interest in social chitchat for some time now. Okay, so maybe lunch was out, but she was not staying one more minute in this house. Not one more minute.

Shutting the front door with a decided snap, she hurried downstairs to the lobby and out into the Saturday morning sunshine. It was a gorgeous spring day, but she hardly noticed. She was thinking, hard. She had options. She knew she did. No matter what her father might have to say. She couldn’t help going over and over the conversation they’d had this morning, after she’d found an unpleasant surprise in the morning mail.

She’d burst into the breakfast room, the offending letter in her hand. “Dad, what is this? I thought we’d decided I’d have a junior year abroad. Somewhere serious. Somewhere real, like Heidelberg, or the Sorbonne—not this, this finishing school.”

John Whitley looked up from his morning copy of the Wall Street Journal. “Don’t roll your eyes at me, young lady. You’ve had two years of hard studying at Columbia. This is what you need, next year.”

“But the classes—they’re all fluff. Deportment? Etiquette? Flower arranging? The only thing that’s even close to academic is conversational French. And it’s not even out of New York!”

Her father shook out the paper, his eyes returning to the article he’d been reading. “Sounds like just what you need. You’ve spent plenty of time on academics.”

Sarah sank into a chair across the breakfast table from her father. “You haven’t listened to a word I’ve said, have you? I want to accomplish something with my life, Dad. That biology class I took last semester—it inspired me. Professor Willis says I have a genuine aptitude.”

“Aptitude for what? Dissecting frogs?”

Sarah took a deep breath, and looked at her mother, who sat silently at the table, sipping her coffee as if she hadn’t heard a word of the exchange. Or maybe, Mother was just trying to be invisible. Again. It was all too clear, she’d get no help there. “I think…no, I’m certain. I want to study medicine.”

“Medicine? Hmmph. That’s no fit career for a woman.”

Sarah could feel everything slowing, as though her very heart was stopping. “You mean, no woman is fit to be a doctor,” she said in a flat voice. “You mean, you don’t think I can do it.”

Her father shrugged. “This has nothing to do with your intelligence, Sarah. And everything to do with your true responsibility.”

“But dad—”

A long, elegant finger wagged in her face. “Listen to me, young lady. What you need to think about is how you can be an aid and support to your husband. Help him to make a mark in the world, instead of selfishly trying to take the glory yourself.” He turned to look at his wife. “You see how much good your mother does. There’s charity work, you’ll be joining the Junior League.”

Sarah bristled, turning to her mother. “Mama, surely—”

Her mother smiled serenely. “Hush, darling. Listen to your father.” Sarah sighed, wondering how long it had taken for her mother to put every opinion, every emotion, so far below the surface that not even a ripple marred that perfect calm. She knew she was on her own, and there was nothing to do but fight back.

“Dad, you’re talking about a husband, and I don’t even have a boyfriend yet.” She leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms, knowing it made her look like a sullen teenager, and not much caring. “You’re trying to nail me into a box.”

Her father’s voice was a whipcrack. “I’m trying to equip you for your proper place in the world.”

Sarah fought the tears of shock and rage that threatened to fall, holding on to her composure, with difficulty. “Can’t you understand—I can’t bear the idea of being so limited! I want to do research. Last week—I went to this lecture, on everything that’s going on in the field of blood diseases. There’s so much new information being discovered, every day… I want to be part of that, to help make the world a better place – not spend my life organizing dinner parties.”

Her father’s newspaper moved up in front of his face again. “You’re getting emotional. You can’t even have a rational discussion. How am I supposed to believe you could be a scientist?” He paused to let that sink in, before continuing, “You’re going to Miss Porter’s School for Young Ladies,” he said, rolling the name of the establishment off his tongue as though he enjoyed saying it. “No arguments.” And his attention was directed elsewhere, just like that. She might as well not have existed.

As she rose from her chair and fled the room, though, she could have sworn she heard him mutter, “Women.”

Sarah shook her head, clearing out the cobwebs. She was a bit surprised at how far she’d come. She was too much of a city dweller not to be at least somewhat aware of her surroundings, but she hadn’t been paying much attention to her path as she walked, fuming, turning the conversation over and over in her head. She looked down at her new royal blue skirt suit, with matching blue and white accessories. A gift from her parents, just like everything else she owned. She wished she had one thing of her own. She’d gladly give up the chic new clothes for a gunny sack at the moment. At least it would be her gunny sack.

Her initial anger had worn itself out, replaced with a stubborn determination to find a way to continue her studies the way she wanted. So, she wouldn’t be going to Europe, as she’d hoped. That was fine. Columbia was a good school, she’d carry on there. If her father refused to pay her tuition, she’d find another way. She might not be an adult yet, legally, but it would only be a few months before that corrected itself. Once she turned 21, she had an inheritance from her grandmother that would easily cover tuition, and expenses, if she was a little frugal. Until then…she smiled. Her Aunt Caroline. Daddy’s sister, had always gone her own way, had always told Sarah to follow her dreams. Sarah’s smile was a little grim. How often had Mother told her, in exasperation, that she was as stubborn as her father? He might just be in for a little shock, when his beloved daughter made a few changes in his plans for her.

Her angry walk had taken her almost to Grand Central Station, and just like that, she decided to catch a train up to Aunt Caroline’s place near Albany. She had enough cash to cover the fare, and her aunt would be glad to come pick her up from the station, even if her visit was on the spur of the moment. Thank goodness her mother always insisted she carry some mad money in her purse. She chuckled to herself. She was mad, sure enough!

The train station was crowded, the announcements of arrivals and departures blaring almost incomprehensibly every few minutes through the enormous, vaulted space of the main terminal. Travelers rushed through, trailed by redcaps carrying suitcases; businessmen in gray flannel suits carried briefcases that surely held vital documents. Mothers led children by the hand, and shoeshine boys called out to attract customers to their stands. Even so, it wasn’t as busy on Saturday as it would have been on a weekday, and Sarah didn’t have to stand in line too long to purchase her ticket. But as chance would have it, the train didn’t leave for over half an hour.

Not that it was difficult to kill time in a place like this. Her first stop was at a newsstand. She’d need a magazine to read on the train, and on impulse, she bought a pack of cigarettes as well. Her father didn’t approve of women smoking. Her days of following his arbitrary dictates were over. Maybe it was just a symbol of her new independence, but she felt good as she tore the cellophane off the cigarettes, and put them in her purse, ready to hand. She realized belatedly that she’d neglected to get a pack of matches to light them with. She laughed a little at herself, then. This self-sufficiency wasn’t as easy as it looked. Oh well, she’d fix that oversight in the club car.

Sarah tucked her white leather clutch purse and her magazine snugly in the crook of her elbow, and headed for a row of chairs, thinking she might as well enjoy watching all the people thronging through the station. Now that she had a plan, she was determined to stop worrying about her father, and the obstacles he was going to put in her path—to try to put in her path, she amended—and start appreciating the hustle and bustle of the crowd. The admiring stares of more than one young man followed her, and while she knew better than to encourage strangers in such a place, there was no harm in basking in the attention, was there?

In the middle of the crowd, though, she stopped. Later, she’d swear she’d felt a gaze on her, felt the touch of something—destiny perhaps?—on her shoulder. She turned slowly, scanning the crowd, trying to act casual.

And then she saw him.

Not too much older than she was – 25, 27, perhaps. Tall, broad-shouldered. His bespoke suit was perfectly tailored; he looked as though he’d just stepped out of a Savile Row shop. He wasn’t wearing the same charcoal gray every other New York businessman seemed to favor, but a rich, dark brown that suited his coloring. A silk tie with gold and brown stripes brought out his whiskey-brown eyes, and with his pale skin, he presented an arresting view. She thought she could stare at him for days. And yes, he was watching her. She could feel her pulse start to speed up, just looking at him. A faint flush warmed her cheeks.

She’d heard her father say, many times, “To get ahead in this life, you have to take chances.” Well, that was one piece of his advice she was going to accept. And put into practice.

Sarah took a deep breath, and pulled the pack of cigarettes out of her purse. Extracting one, she took a few steps toward the brown-eyed man, and smiled at him, tilting her head just a little to one side.

“Excuse me,” she said, “do you have a light?”
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Grand Central -- PG-13

Post by francis »

:notworthy: Wonderful! I love that Sarah is on her way to independence when fate insists that she meets Josef. Love how he stands out in the crowd in her eyes. This is all kinds of awesome!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Lucky, this is PERFECT. :hearts: And it's the most wonderful gift. :hug: :smooch: :heart:

You've really captured Sarah as I've always seen her. (And her father, as well.) Your descriptions are rich and lovely, as always -- and if I hadn't loved Sarah already, I certainly would have come to after reading this. :blinksmile:

And even though I knew where this was going and where it would end, I still got chills reading those last few lines leading up to that fateful encounter. :happysigh: Just wonderful!

Thank you SO much! :hug: :notworthy: :heart:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

You are more than welcome! And I would be most remiss, if I didn't give a shoutout to Allegrita, who read my first draft and made me encouraged me to revise extensively. She was right, as usual!

Big hugs and kisses for your birthday!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

What a wonderful birthday gift! :hearts: I love this view of Sarah on the cusp. She is definitely her father's daughter, with a generous helping of Aunt Caroline's rebelliousness thrown in. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when she broke the news to Daddy about her plans to stay on at Columbia.

At the same time, I can't help but think about Mrs. Whitley, too. I wonder if losing Sarah so tragically shook her mother out of that serenity... I wonder what HER life was like, after Sarah disappeared. Was she content to arrange dinner parties and charity functions after that? :chin: Somehow, I can imagine her growing a lot closer to her sister-in-law, and maybe getting interested in the Women's Lib movement of the 60's... oh, wouldn't that have made John furious?? :snicker:

That's what I love about your stories. There's always something there to make me think, wonder, speculate about what happened after the end. Or what past events led up to the situation where the story began. Your stories are so vivid, they create a much bigger world than the space taken up by the printed words... they make a real place in my mind, where my imagination can play. :rose:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful gift to Lilly with all of us. :hug:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

allegrita wrote: That's what I love about your stories. There's always something there to make me think, wonder, speculate about what happened after the end. Or what past events led up to the situation where the story began. Your stories are so vivid, they create a much bigger world than the space taken up by the printed words... they make a real place in my mind, where my imagination can play. :rose:
This. Every word of it. That's exactly it. What makes Lucky's stories so very...REAL. :hearts:

Oh, and by the way --- doesn't the new banner Terri made go so well with this? :teeth:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Why yes, yes it does. I wish I could say we'd worked together on that, but it's a happy coincidence. A very happy one!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

And Alle, my gosh, but you'll turn a girl's head. Thank you so much! There was time when I used to think that my writing wasn't nearly descriptive enough--and I like to think that my experience with writing fanfic has corrected that fault.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucky

What a wonderful picture you have given us of Sarah!

Her father had definite ideas of a woman's place and Sarah did not agree. Clearly, she and her mother up to this point stood on opposite sides of John Whitley's view of a woman's place. We know that changed later as her mother came to support her decisions later. Little did Sarah know that she was about to step into a larger, much more exciting and scarier world than she ever imagined existed.

Makes me really, really hope that Josef one day finds a way to wake his Sleeping Beauty. She is one of those people who is destined to change the world she is born into. Perhaps also marries into. This Sarah Whitley is a fitting consort for Josef Kostan.

Thank you for this fabulous story!!!!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

It all makes perfect sense....to us Sarah had NOTHING but her own grit.....it is rough when you have been given everything. Of course Josef/Charles would be outstanding, I am sure she 'saw' all of his mystery too!

BRAVA!
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

Wow! :rose: :rose: :rose: What an amazing look at Sarah. You've done a great job of describing her as the bright, independent, headstrong, capable, passionate young woman we know her to be. This is exactly who Josef fell in love with -- and it is easy to see why.

I hope that she does wake up, and that she is able to fulfill her dreams. :fingerscrossed:

Very well done, Lucky! :notworthy: It may be Lilly's birthday, but you've given us all a gift. :hearts:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:hug: Oh Lucky, I bookmarked this as soon as I saw it. I SO enjoy looking into the pasts of the characters, and have come back this evening to take it in. :hearts:

Babes, it's beautiful. So vivid and with so much motion. Bringing the sleeping Sarah that we know and adore, into very sharp focus. As a woman with her own head on her shoulders. And ideas and dreams that the most intriguing young ladies of that era did have. It's no wonder that Josef was lost. :flowers: I love her more now for her sense of purpose, and that little bit of courage that it must have taken for her to approach this handsome stranger. And ohhh, such a change it brought about for both of them.

A beautiful insight honey.

:giggle: And I share in our happy circumstance. :snicker: :hug: Thank you for sharing it. <3

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

So lovely to see the meeting at Grand Central Station from the other side! Your take on Sarah is marvelous; she is a real and interesting young woman here. It's good to see her so determined to live her life the way she intends to, and especially to see her practicality on how she's planning to make it come about. Her interest in medicine, and blood diseases in particular, is quite intriguing.

My very favorite bit is at the end, when Sarah ends up meeting Josef both because she's defying her father (by purchasing the cigarettes) and because she's taking his advice (taking a chance) at the same time. Wonderfully complicated, which makes it fit this circumstance perfectly!

Return to “Josef in History”