Talking Point -- PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Talking Point -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

Disclaimer: Mick and Beth, not mine. ‘K?

AN: Just a trifle...hope you enjoy!

Talking Point

Beth rolled over, snuggling her shoulder under the down comforter, and regarded Mick’s unconscious form. She knew that it wasn't comfortable for him to share a bed with her in the long run, and she treasured these times when they turned the air conditioning down to what she considered arctic levels, and he rested beside her for a few hours. It wasn't really sleeping, not as humans know it, but there was something very intimate in knowing that Mick trusted her to be with him when he was so vulnerable. Leaning up on one elbow, she took the time to drink in the sight of his long lean body stretched on the mattress. He lay on his back, naked, hands by his side, as unmoving as any of the corpses down on Guillermo’s slabs in the morgue. It should have been unnerving. Still, he was beautiful. Beth resisted the temptation to reach out and run her fingertips over his face, tracing each perfect feature, brushing lightly across his lips perhaps, the coiled arch of his ear. She loved the way his dark hair waved back from his face, loved the way the ends curled around his neck. She supposed he had had a lot of hairstyles, over the years, but she couldn't imagine that any of them had been more becoming.

She sighed. She’d found a gray hair the night before, while peering into her mirror. Among the gold, it was hard to spot the occasional silver strand, but it happened. She'd hesitated just a moment, remembering her mother laughing at her own gray hairs, and saying, "You know, Bethie, for every one you pull out, five more come in.” Superstition, sure, but it slowed her hand. In the end, though, she'd gone ahead and plucked it. Mick’s eyes were just too damn sharp for her to take the risk.

Their situation was, if not unique, at least unusual, and although Mick had done everything in his power to reassure her that she would always be beautiful to him, Beth couldn't help the occasional pang of misgiving. They were fine now, but how long could it last, really? She remembered a little conversation, only a few words, that had passed between them early on. They'd been riding in his car, not long after she found out he was a vampire.

“I know you must be older, but you look about 30,” she’d said.

“That's how old I was when I was turned,” he’d replied.

“Wow. So when I was two—“

He’d smiled, a little ruefully. “I looked 30. When you're 82, I'm still gonna look 30.”

At the time, all she thought was that it must be wonderful not to age. She hadn't understood that there might be drawbacks. Say, like your girlfriend getting old on you. There was another voice in her head, too. Sure, Lola had been trying to drive a wedge between them, but it didn't mean there wasn't any truth in it. “You’re young,” she’d said, “but in a year or two, when he stops coming around and you look in the mirror…” She hadn't needed to finish the sentence. Beth knew what she meant.

So now it was a few years later, and the prediction was coming true. Mick hadn't changed, not hair, not a scar, not a line on his beautiful face. And he never would. Beth felt her heart constrict in her chest. She wasn’t sure, even now, what she wanted. What he wanted. But –

Night was falling. Mick stirred, turning his head to catch her watching him. "Evening, sweetheart," he said. "You look serious."

She nodded. "Mick," she said, "we need to talk."
Marigold
Courtesan

Re: Talking Point -- PG-13

Post by Marigold »

:Mickangel: Many women worry about aging, but Beth is in a completely different situation. Her vampire boyfriend's appearance is frozen in time, while she is getting older. They knew this day would come, but it is hard to imagine until it actually arrives. And now that it has, a tough decision needs to be made. Mick may have said that Beth will always be beautiful to him, but unfortunately, things aren't that simple.
librarian_7 wrote:He lay on his back, naked, hands by his side, as unmoving as any of the corpses down on Guillermo’s slabs in the morgue.
I really like this sentence. :flowers:

Very well done, Lucky! :notworthy: :rose:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, Beth... :comfort2:

I truly feel for her. What a difficult situation... made more difficult by the fact that Mick doesn't like to face reality. I've thought about this a lot, and I love the way you handled it. I hope the talk goes well. :fingerscrossed:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Lucky, this is wonderful. :hearts: Such a quiet few moments captured here. And it moves gradually from light and lovely, with such warmth and tenderness as Beth notices every detail of the man she loves, to deeper, more serious thoughts -- just as those sorts of moments of reflection are often wont to do. There is no easy answer to this complicated relationship of theirs, and it seems they've taken turns being either the romantic or the practical one, but living for "right here, right now" still doesn't stop the march of time. :sigh:

Beautifully done.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucky

This is wonderful. Beth knows what she wants. Mick knows, too, but he has experienced the trauma of turning and doesn't want to even consider putting her through that. We all come down on different sides of this question, but I'm one of those that think that Mick came to love Beth more for who she was than for her humanity.

To show that Beth wants to talk is perfect.

That is the first step.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

yup...they do.....cause as much as I love Mick....I wouldn't want to be his 'cougar'.

Rhapsodic words describing his supine form....I saw it all. Thank-you!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This day was coming but it's still not going to be an easy conversation. Mick will try to dissuade her but Beth is unstoppable
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

What a wonderful time to set this little story, a few years after "right here, right now." Because that's not a moment that can last forever, and the next moment has to be dealt with, one way or another. Beth's contemplation of Mick, asleep beside her, is beautiful, and at first we don't realize that those years have gone by. But it's taken those years for Beth to truly understand the things that Mick, and even Lola, told her way back when. And what a perfect ending!

And then . . .
librarian_7 wrote:She loved the way his dark hair waved back from his face, loved the way the ends curled around his neck. She supposed he had had a lot of hairstyles, over the years, but she couldn't imagine that any of them had been more becoming.
This is hardly the most important sentence in the story, but I sure did find myself nodding my head in agreement with Beth here. :yes: :laugh:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks so much for the kind comments! Yes, I think we all knew that sooner or later, they were going to have to talk this out (and my bet is that it won't be one conversation, by a long shot!).

As to where or how it will go, I'm not sure. But I thought it might be interesting to imagine the moment when Beth made the decision not to float along with it anymore, and plunge into the discussion.

Lucky
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:heart: Oh my goodness Lucky. this is one of the most 'Wanting more' Short stories I've every read. The fact that you've explained so beautifully the thoughts in Beth's head... means we know what the conversation will be about... but which way will it go? Make or break for these two could mean several things. Or will they carry on for a few more years undecided... :chin: It's one of those things that we knew would happen, but you've handled it beautifully, lovely. Thank you. :rose: xx

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
Claudia
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Claudia »

Oh, Lucky; I do hope you continue!!! I want to hear "the talk". :heart:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

This is a wonderful piece, Lucky and certainly not a trifle. Beth, like the rest of us, looks in the mirror and sees the changes life brings us - gray hairs, laugh lines, to name a few. That's bad enough, but to have your beautiful lover forever frozen in the prime of his life has got to be terrifying.

Love how you wove in Lola's tease, which now has become a fear Beth can't shake. But what I really like about this is that this situation isn't the result of Mick denying Beth or of her resisting it.
So now it was a few years later, and the prediction was coming true. Mick hadn't changed, not hair, not a scar, not a line on his beautiful face. And he never would. Beth felt her heart constrict in her chest. She wasn’t sure, even now, what she wanted. What he wanted. But –
The lack of decision is the culprit here, and with the talk, perhaps one will be made.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Reread this wonderful fic and saw something I never considered before.

Mick loves Beth. Really and truly loves her, and if he has not been able to figure out the pain he would be putting her through by not turning her, he needs to be told and told NOW.

We all know that the blood lust of a vampire is terrifyingly intense, but Beth is not an idiot. She has seen it behind others faces, too--Josef, Logan, Ryder, and other vampires--good and bad. In Sonata, she told Mick that she didn't want to make that decision but Beth truly loves Mick. She has seen 'up close and personal' how the inner vampire can be handled and she knows Mick will help her.

A agree with whoever it was upthread that mentioned 'cougar' Josef could give Mick a jolt of truth--but we still wonder which way Josef will come down on the issue.

I'm just glad they are talking. As long as there is some communication, and we also know there is a lot of love there, minds can be changed. Growth is possible.

Thank you.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Talking about it is a good starting point.
I feel so much when reading this. She's admiring him, and I'm a bit jealous that she can :laugh: , then she starts thinking about aging and it makes her realize that she needs to make a decision, one that she hasn't wanted to make. I'm happy that she realized too that it's not her decision alone. She might not even go through with her wish to stay young, it depends also on how Mick will react, not to her idea of being maybe turned, but also to her self-concept of being older now. Maybe he can convince her it doesn't matter, maybe she can convince him she wants to stay his age, but any way, talking is a good starting point.
Very well done, Lucky!

Return to “Mick and Beth”