"Feed" group watch, Saturday 21st August, 9pm Eastern

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: "Feed" group watch, Saturday 21st August, 9pm Eastern

Post by wpgrace »

Hmmmm... "netflixing"... sounds like something Michael might do... :devil:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Ooooh, I just put this on my calendar and am so going to try to join you for this!

Like many of you, I really had to work myself up to watch this one. It was one of the last DVDs of his that I bought (well, I haven't even bothered trying to pick up Blackjack or Man-Thing, so it was the last of the past projects that I intend to buy). Prior to ordering it, I had read the article someone mentioned on one of the Feed threads here (where Alex talks about being confronted by what he saw when he and his friends first discovered the feeder sites... I think there is a video clip as well with him talking about this day when he and his friends found these web sites and how it inspired the film).

That article is where I gained immense respect and admiration for Alex as an artist. It really helped me make up my mind to give it a go because Alex is a true artist in that interview: he is trying to be the lens through which he and viewers could try to understand this aspect of the human condition. That is what I love most about art - the ability to turn a mirror on "us" and make us see ourselves in both new/different and familiar ways. When asked what is my favorite quote, I usually give this one: You create your own reality. Because I fully believe this, I find it fascinating to see how others perceive existence and how they choose to live their lives (what is reality as they see it, and what insights can that provide to me as I decide how--and how not--to live my life). In this interview, Alex is doing exactly this and I think that's why it touched such a deep place in me. I had to see how he perceived this character.

And besides, the boy was nekkid... how could I pass up that small pleasure in life? :biggrin:

That said, the subject matter of this film still disturbs me, so I've only watched it once (well, I think I might have replayed a couple of scenes while I was watching it :devil: :whistle: ). Let me just say I'm glad I had already seen Alex in Mary Bryant, The Shield and Oyster Farmer (and of course, ML) prior to seeing this film. The broad range of characters allowed me to see this as a part Alex was playing, and therefore it put the storyline at "arms length." Sort of how Grace said the "body suit" for the actress helped her keep a healthy distance from the disturbing reality presented in the film. As many have said, he is sooo different in this (just really, deliriously sick and twisted), that for me, it helped me experience it as sort of an out-of-body thing... basically, I watched him act. And again, not to repeat others, but it is fascinating to watch him interpret this psychopath (I know the film is trying to debate this point, but I fall down firmly on the "this is psychopathic behavior" side--knowing this is based on real events is revolting to me and why I had to keep the story at arms length and focus on the "performance" by Alex).

So I look forward to watching it again with you all - it's been awhile since I've seen it. I can't wait to hear what different people think.

And I'll go see if the Feed interview is posted here in the media links or if I have it saved somewhere on my HD, so you can check it out before the 21st if you want (especially if you're still hesitating to watch). I think it is probably a bit spoiler-ish, if I remember correctly, but there's been so much discussion of this film on the boards that it's likely most folks know the plot by now.
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Sooooooooo glad you will be joining us, HM!! :hyper2:
ANd you are right, he was very thoughtful in that interview :chin: ... there is also an interview with him and the producer in Philadelphia on YT somewhere. It's a bit of a lighter look at the making of the movie... and he's adorable in that... :teeth:

And I'm with you, Girl. Psy-cho-path.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Well, I can't find the article (drats!), but did find the video version of him telling the same story.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxw6Q1eh ... re=related

and here's the Philadelphia interview grace mentions:

http://www.youtube.com/user/moonlitmuse ... JlHrsMkkJg
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Supercool!

Thank you, SweetiePie!! :smooch:

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:cloud9: :cloud9:

Mmmm, I love that first interview, for so many reasons. I love that Alex is prepared to admit that he was shocked, confronted, angry and mocking about the stuff he found while researching the movie. I love the seriousness and consideration with which he talks about the concept and the making of the movie and I also love that he doesn't skirt around the fact that there was real conflict on set about artistic decisions etc.

And on a totally shallow note, does he not just sound D-I-V-I-N-E?? The Voice has never sounded better. Thanks so much for the link.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote::cloud9: :cloud9:

Mmmm, I love that first interview, for so many reasons. I love that Alex is prepared to admit that he was shocked, confronted, angry and mocking about the stuff he found while researching the movie. I love the seriousness and consideration with which he talks about the concept and the making of the movie and I also love that he doesn't skirt around the fact that there was real conflict on set about artistic decisions etc.

And on a totally shallow note, does he not just sound D-I-V-I-N-E?? The Voice has never sounded better. Thanks so much for the link.

Red

This was back when he had an "interview voice." He's kinda dropped that now... but it was cute. :snicker:

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh my loooord... when he said the silly thing and then blushed and SNORTED a laugh?! I LOVE that!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Feed arrived from Netfix. I'm ready for the weekend.
tucutecats
Fledgling

Post by tucutecats »

I hated this movie and the end just sucked,thought Alex did a really good job though. Why he would choose this subject matter I don't know. But I don't want to see it ever again.very disturbing
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

tucutecats wrote:I hated this movie and the end just sucked,thought Alex did a really good job though. Why he would choose this subject matter I don't know. But I don't want to see it ever again.very disturbing

Hmmm... guessing this means you won't be joining us for the group watch... :comfort2:
If you'd like to come onto the thread to discuss, from memory, please DO feel welcome.
It does have disturbing scenes and a very strange subject matter. And he did indeed do a really good job... :yes:
So yeah, his intentions in working on this project is a valid query to make...

SharonC
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by SharonC »

Only a few days to go and not meaning to be funny but normally during a movie you sit with some munchies, ANYONE planning it for this?

Not sure about Red and I and the other European ladies, 2am+ munches, I just don't know
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Well, from what I've heard, you might not want munchies with this one, Sharon. :confused2:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:snicker: I've had snacks while watching this movie... I can't do it until after the Germany scene, but after that, eh. :shrug:

I've got kids, cats, and a sick dog. I've volunteered in the young toddlers Sunday School class at church--the ones who aren't toilet trained yet. I've volunteered at the SPCA. I've gone on many many field trips on school buses with the kids' classes. I've cleaned up nearly everything.

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Maybe a glass of wine instead of munchies? The movie might even make more sense that way :giggle:

And grace, my sympathies on the sick dog, and all that comes with it. Hope he /she's going to be ok.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “Past Projects”