Man-Thing: discussion, links, and so on

aolver
Rogue vampire

Re: Man-Thing: discussion, links, and so on

Post by aolver »

:giggle: Had to comment. jmc...you liked Man Thing better than Feed? I must be morbid cause Feed didn't disturb me very much. The thing that made me cringe was watching Alex jump on the bed and dance around a little while he ****. He must be totally comfortable with performing fake sex acts in front of a camera. That was the parts that made me turn my eyes! :hyper: His role as Michael was sheer genius. Now Man Thing? I love Alex and will watch anything he's in, but this one was a toughie. And the accent? I know a couple of you are southerners ( I am a New Orleanian myself), but it sounded like a southern Australian accent to me. :yahoo: Guess every actor has to have a stinker. He was still handsome as ever. :clapping:
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

aolver wrote: Guess every actor has to have a stinker. He was still handsome as ever. :clapping:
Yes, he was, but he still has to pay the bills :whistle:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:
wpgrace wrote: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

OMG! ManThing has its own thread now!!!!!!
There is something verrrry wrong with that sentence... :snicker:

Like I said, he can NOT complain that his fans aren't dedicated!
This is what happens when you (collectively) wander shamelessly off-topic. Just sayin'. :shrug:

Red

We were off topic? What was the topic? :snicker:
And ya gotta admit, there's more spirited discussion about this sucky movie than we've had all week... :shrug:

Btw, for those of you who actually continued to watch the movie after the Deputy "sings", how does it end? Do you ever see the Man Thang?
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I'm still amazed that a movie titled Man-Thing EVER got made....

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

wpgrace wrote:
Btw, for those of you who actually continued to watch the movie after the Deputy "sings", how does it end? Do you ever see the Man Thang?
Nope. Once he hit high C, and I stopped laughing, I turned it off. :giggle:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

redwinter101 wrote:I'm still amazed that a movie titled Man-Thing EVER got made....
Well, there were two virtually identical (okay, I know... :tomato: ) comic books back in the '70's which received some critical acclaim, one called Swamp-Thing (DC Comics), one called Man-Thing (Marvel Comics). If you don't think they were similar, I'd direct your attention to the wikipedia articles, which even notes that some of the same writers wrote for both series. They made a movie of Swamp-Thing (a bad one, too...) back in the early '80s. Personally, I thought Man-Thing was the better comic book, for whatever it's worth. Why SciFi decided to make a movie...who knows?

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:
redwinter101 wrote:I'm still amazed that a movie titled Man-Thing EVER got made....
Well, there were two virtually identical (okay, I know... :tomato: ) comic books back in the '70's which received some critical acclaim, one called Swamp-Thing (DC Comics), one called Man-Thing (Marvel Comics). If you don't think they were similar, I'd direct your attention to the wikipedia articles, which even notes that some of the same writers wrote for both series. They made a movie of Swamp-Thing (a bad one, too...) back in the early '80s. Personally, I thought Man-Thing was the better comic book, for whatever it's worth. Why SciFi decided to make a movie...who knows?

Lucky
How the h*** do you know this esoteric stuffola, Lucky dearest? :rolling:

But, if SciFi made the movie, does that mean that THEY get the credit, not CBS, not FX, for discovering Alex and putting him on American tv?? :devil:

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Umm, it has often been observed that I am a font of useless information. Comes with the territory of being a professional reference librarian. Although I've gotta say...I've had other reference librarians tell me I'm kinda scary with the trivia.

But as for Man-Thing/Swamp-Thing--I was a geeky teenager who read a lot of stuff, including comic books, back in the day. Now, of course, I'm all grown up, and I read a lot of stuff, including any vampire novel I can get my hands on...

Lucky
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

There's also Man-Bat and Bat-Thing. :biggrin:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Y'know, grace... you've got a point! I think that SyFy (or whatever it calls itself) DOES deserve the credit for bringing Alex to us.

And thanks for giving Lucky her new designation... The Esoteric Stuffola B!tch. :teeth:
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

darkstarrising wrote:...As for Deputy Fraser, can you imagine the vocal discipline for an Aussie to come off with a passable southern American accent? Wonder who Alex beat out in the auditions....
A couple of years ago, a documentary was made on the Aussie accent. :eek2: They interviewed not only actors and such, but also vocal coaches and speech therapists. According to those who claim to know what they're talking about, the Aussie accent is as close as you'll ever get to a "non-accent". Apparently we are very lazy when we speak, and don't move out tongues much. Seriously, some Aussie actors [who can rock an American accent] commented on how much work it took to move their tongue to create that American sound. One even said that's why Aussie actors can do accents so well, but only one in a million foreigners can fake an Aussie accent. (The logic is that's it's easier to learn to do something than not do something. So when an Aussie talks, his / her tongue lays there like a dead fish - and that's hard for an American to do.)

Now, back to Man-Thing. :whistle:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

So, Phoenix, did you manage to go off-topic in a thread that was made because it went off-topic? You're genius!

And if someone had the DVD of Man-thing and could put that last shriek on YouTube I would be very grateful. Because that's the only part I'm marginally interested to watch. :laugh:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:rolling: :rolling:

Man-Bat and bat-Thing... :roll:

The Esoteric Stuffola Bitch... :biggrin:

Aussies have a non-accent because they are lazy and won't move their tongue... :devil:

Francis wants to hear the Deputy scream... :slaphead:

This is a hilarious thread... for no particular reason... :snicker:

BUT DID ANYBODY EVER SEE THE END OF THE MOVIE???????

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle:

Can't help you there, Grace.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

francis wrote:So, Phoenix, did you manage to go off-topic in a thread that was made because it went off-topic? You're genius!
francis, it's a tough job going off-topic - just ask Grace and Fleur - but someone has to do it. :coffee:

OK, before the poor mods have a collective nervous breakdown, someone doesn't have to do it. That was a bad joke. :whistle: Bad Phoenix. :slaphead:

I may just have to see if I can find the DVD of Man-Thing and watch it so I can report back to Grace how it ends. :teeth:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.

Return to “Past Projects”