War News (PG) - Challenge #135

A place for MickLifeCrisis' G to PG-13 stories
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

War News (PG) - Challenge #135

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters. Thanks again Moonlighter for the read through.
A/N: I don't really know how Lila would have been notified of Ray's survival. Phone call? Telegram? Uniforms at the door like you see in old movies? So I just picked one.

War News

“Who was at the door? Through the window it almost looked like a car from the War Department.”

“It was a car from the War Department.”

“What did they want? Lila? Are you okay?”

“They said… they said that Ray was alive… that he would be coming home…”

“What?! Ray is ali… Whoa! Steady, steady. Let’s get you over to the couch and we’ll sit down. Here, take my handkerchief. Now, tell me everything they said.”

“They said that Ray has been in a coma all this time. He’d lost his dog tags in the enemy attack, so the Army didn’t know who he was until he woke up.”

“Is he alright?”

“He’s partially paralyzed, but he’s alright. And Mick – he’s coming home tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Yes, tomorrow. I can’t believe it! He’s alive! Look at me – I’m a mess! The house is a mess! I want everything perfect. I’ll have to call… oh, but wait. What does this mean for us, Mick? For you and me?”

“It means you have your husband back. And I’ll… I’ll be leaving.”

“Now I don’t know if I’m crying happy tears or sad tears.”

“It’s the right thing – the only thing to do, Lila. I shouldn’t have let things get this far between us. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, Mick. It was wonderful. But now… please don’t go yet. Stay tonight.”

“I’ll stay tonight Lila. But I’m leaving first thing in the morning. I’m happy for you. For both of you. I really am.”
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: War News (PG) - Challenge #135

Post by PNWgal »

You're killing me, MLC. :hankie: :hankie:
MickLifeCrisis wrote:“Don’t be sorry, Mick. It was wonderful. But now… please don’t go yet. Stay tonight.”

“I’ll stay tonight Lila. But I’m leaving first thing in the morning. I’m happy for you. For both of you. I really am.”
And that right there would make Lilah wonder for the rest of her life about Robert.

This really was lovely, sweetie. :smooch:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

Unfortunately, some things are just not in the cards. I'll bet both Mick and Lilah savoured every second of that one night - they knew that it was all they would ever get to have. :hankie: :bmoon: :Mickangel:

This was lovely, MLC! :heart:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Those poor sweet people. :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: I know how hard it must have been for Ray. But for Mick and Lilah it was torture. Because I truly believe they loved each other deeply. But they did the right thing, because they were honorable people... and they both loved Ray.

Thank you for this beautiful, sad conversation. :hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

MLC

Wonderful conversation!

I can so see something like this happening. Mick was right there with Lilah when the news came and that moment had to have been one of those with happiness and sorrow all mixed together. Mick made decisions quickly, one after another. He helped Lilah through the rush of emotions...

and was gone. It was the only path left to him.

Thank you!

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

MLC--such a mixture of heartache and happiness. It's a wonderful thing that Ray is returning, but the end of whatever Mick and Lila had, or could have had.

You do angst really well!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

So happysad! You see here what a great man Mick is/was. He loved Lilah, he loved Ray. He was there for Lilah without regards to what this meant to him. He saw she was happy to have Ray back, without doubt or hesitation. And so he made it his choice to go and let them be. Because he loved Ray too, and knew that he didn't have a place in her life anymore.

Somehow this makes me think that this is why and how Mick wanted to stay away from Beth. He wanted what was good for HER, it wasn't ever about what he wanted. But he had his burden of heartbreak already and maybe with Beth a tiny voice told him that this time it should be HIS turn. Or maybe it was that Beth never told him that she wanted Josh over him.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I didn't get teary writing this last night, but now reading it again along with all your comments... :hankie: I'm glad it touched a chord with you all. Thank you! :hug:

I often wondered why Ray never got in touch with Mick when he got home. I have to assume that Lila told him about Mick to some degree. And the fact that Robert didn't recognize Mick's name means they never talked about him to Robert. I guess Mick became persona non grata (did I spell that right?) in the Fordham household. Too bad. As I said in one of my older fics, Ray and Mick could have used a friend in those early months after the war. Someone who had "been there - done that." But I'm sure Mick kept both of them in a special place in his heart. :sigh:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
SharonC
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by SharonC »

What a touching moment MLC and you captured it wonderfully sweetie. After all that they had been through and finally coming to depend on one another to get the news that Ray was okay must have been a shock for both. Great news but yes life was about to change again. At least they had one last night together.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

that's a long, sharp pain in my heart for Mick.... beautifully worded... Just painfully so! :clapping:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

This makes a lot of sense to me. It never seemed right that Mick just "left" (probably the real story went on the cutting room floor or got crossed out of the script.)

Oh - and let's hope that Ray doesn't get to the house earlier than expected!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This would be a shock for them but they are people of their time. They would both do the right thing even if they just enjoyed one last night together.
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

PNWgal wrote:You're killing me, MLC. :hankie: :hankie:
That's just about exactly what I said when I first read it, PNW. :hankie:

It's especially so because you know Mick will do "what's right" no matter how much it will break his heart. Ours too. I think Lilah realized the sacrifice Mick was about to make and took one last chance to revel in that love. Thank goodness he found his Beth later on. Oh, here I go again....
:hankie:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Poor Mick and Lilah. They did the right thing though and that is a beautiful thing.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Awww... :hankie: :hankie: :hankie:

I've had a half-written story on my hard drive for a few years now. Someday I'll finish it. But I think you and I have very similar ideas about what might have happened when Lilah got the news. :sigh: :hearts: :comfort2:

Return to “MickLifeCrisis' Office”