A Bite of the Big Apple - Chapter 3 PG 13 (conclusion) MB

A place for jen's G to PG-13 stories
jen
Cleaner

A Bite of the Big Apple - Chapter 3 PG 13 (conclusion) MB

Post by jen »

Here is the conclusion to A Bite of the Big Apple. It is a little long. Sorry, I got a little carried away.

Disclaimer: No copyright infringement intended. I don't own Moonlight. I wonder if whoever does has any idea what a fabulous concept it is! No financial benefit is derived from this.

Many, many thanks to the fabulous Darkstarrising for her wonderful suggestions and for teaching me some important truths about writing in general.

Chapter 3 - Bite of the Big Apple

Mick stood in the center of the room, stunned. It felt like he’d been sucker punched.

He drew in a deep breath, and with it the events transpiring in the room less than a half hour before.

Beth hadn’t changing clothes. She quickly got her suitcase out of the closet, opened it on the bed, and began to pack. The satin dress whispered around her knees as she moved about her task. She didn’t hear the quiet slide of the terrace door as Claude Renault entered.

“Well, hello.”

Beth spun to face him, her face hard. Raising her hand slowly, she showed him the small taser nestled in her palm. She activated it and it emitted a dry, warning crackle.

Renault smiled--indolent, bored and completely sure of how the events here would end--the same smile he’d worn in the restaurant.

“Good.” he commented. “It’s more fun when they fight. By the way, I’m Claude Renault, not that it really matters. Your friend, Mick St. John and I have old business." he shrugged and flashed a wider grin. "What happens now is just a down payment on his debt.”

Moving more quickly than she could see, Renault casually backhanded her across the room. She landed in a crumpled heap, the taser falling uselessly from her hand. Walking over, he looked down at her. Satisfied that he hadn’t ended her life accidentally, he picked her up inhaling her fragrance and running his fingers slowly over the smooth skin of her face. “So delicate, so fragile--I wonder how much you mean to him. We’ll soon find out, won‘t we? Either way, tonight is going to be…entertaining.” he murmured.

Mick’s stomach clenched. Renault lifted Beth easily into his arms, and vanished through the drapes and out into the night.

Mick called Josef. Josef called Gerard Nottingham.

As he waited impatiently, Mick recalled Beth fighting Sheppard a few weeks before. She lost and Sheppard was an inexperienced, untrained fledgling while Renault was ruthless and fully aware of his strength and powers.

And he paced the suite like a caged tiger.

“Stay!” Josef ordered for at least the fifth time. “Will you sit down?!? I can’t think when you do that!” Josef was standing a few feet away, the note Renault had left for them still in his hand.

“We do not have time for this! You know what he--”

Mick‘s words died off as he saw a line of script written on the back of the piece of paper in his friend's hand. Snatching it back, he read an address in Renault’s distinctive script. He hadn't noticed it before. Some P.I. you are, he thought critically.

“This is where he has taken her! He isn’t trying to keep the location a secret. He wants me to follow him!“

“We don’t know that.” Josef said gravely. “May be deliberate misdirection but even if it is where he has Beth, I can’t think of a better reason for you not to go there. He’s fought you before, Mick and learns fast. Just because you walked out of that silver mine with your head still attached is no guarantee you'll do it here.“

“So come with me! Bring Gerald Nottingham and all the Cleaners you can round up. He has Beth but she won’t last long in his hands!”

“Josef? Mick?” the head of the New York vampire community walked into the suite and scented it. Under the circumstances, it saved time.

‘Josef is correct. Mick. I think Renault is counting on you doing exactly what you propose. That address on the back of the note is an invitation you‘d be a fool to accept. I‘m truly sorry for your loss.”

Mick didn’t have to reply to that. Josef did it for him.

“Beth Turner is not expendable. How large a party of Cleaners can we get together at a moments notice?” asked Josef.

“Not many. Response time in New York is much slower than it is in L.A. I have already notified Selena, but there is nearly and hour wait.”

“All right.” Josef turned to Mick, “Go--but before you do, activate the GPS in your watch in case you lose your cell.” At this point, Mick St. John was their greatest chance of finding Beth and he would not be restrained any longer. It was time to get out of his way while ensuring they could follow.

Mick nodded.

“Jerry, can one of your techie staff track the GPS signal?” he asked, and was met by a blank stare.

“Terrific,” he muttered placing another call. “Ryder, I need you to track Mick’s GPS signal. We are in New York and I don’t have much local help.” he shot a withering look at Gerard Nottingham.

Mick walked quickly out of the hotel and up to the next taxi waiting in line. He recognized it.

Shit! Why me? Suck it up, St. John. Hold your nose!

“Can you take me to this address?” getting into the taxi, he handed the driver a piece of paper with the address from the note.

“Now I know you’re from outta town. No way I will take you there after dark. This is a very bad part of town. Even the police don’t go there at night and will only go in groups during daylight hours. People go in, they don’t always come out. If you go get that fine thing you were with a couple of nights ago I can take the two of you to some really nice clubs. You‘d have a lot more fun, I guarantee!”

Mick pulled out his wallet and offered him several hundred dollar bills. He didn’t say a word. Mick pulled out another hundred.

“You can put that up. You don’t hear so good, do you? I’m saying that this place is dangerous and I’m not going down there. I don‘t know about you friend, but I like the idea of staying alive.”

“I have to get down there. My friend--the blonde I was with--has been kidnapped and I think that is where she’s being held. I’m a private investigator from L.A. I know what I am doing! If you won’t take me there, can you tell me someone who will?”

The taxi driver uttered a curse, turned off the light on the top of the cab indicating he was available and told Mick to get in.

“What’s her name?” he asked pulling away from the curb.

“Beth.” Mick got into the back seat. “Beth Turner.“

“My wife’s name was Beth.” he said softly.

“You divorced?”

“No, she died a few years back.”

“Sorry,” said Mick absently, his mind on Beth and her captor.

“Yeah,” said the driver. “Me, too. Now let’s go get your Beth.”

Meanwhile, at their destination Mick's Beth was regaining consciousness.

Everything was blurred at first--the light and the pain were a jumble and over the course of a few minutes, her vision slowly cleared and the pain locallized to her pounding head and her shoulders. She was in an old boiler room her arms tied above her head with rags and her feet not touching the floor. Above her, the rags were attached to pipes. She struggled against her bonds and her movements made her swing gently but the bonds held fast.

There was no sign of Claude Renault.

“All right,” said Josef. “Jerry, forget the damned Cleaners. Get a detail of your security to meet us at that address and let’s go. If we wait any longer, I will be taking Beth back to L.A. in a box and my friend in a bucket-”

Gerard Nottingham had been on hold waiting to be connected to his Lead Cleaner.

“Selena! Finally! We have an emergency. Claude Renault has kidnapped the human of a protected visitor. We have the address where she is being held and are going to rescue her. Her vampire is tracking them-” he said into his cell, then frowned at the response he was hearing. “Selene, that is not your call. You will bring two squads of your Cleaners and meet us there. Yes, I will be bringing a security contingent. The human, Beth Turner, is not to be considered expendable. Tell me you understand.” he said. “Good.” He disconnected the call and called another number.

“Trouble with the help?” asked Josef mildly, thinking they would talk later.

“Always,” sighed Gerard, calling one of his more dependable security squads.

To hell with Jerry’s preferences. His Cleaners needed to see less of the velvet glove and more of the iron fist.

There was no area of L.A, that Mick was afraid to enter now. After all, he was a vampire but when he was human, there were some places in L.A. he knew to stay out of. The neighborhood the taxi drove into looked more dangerous than the ones he avoided when he was still human. Poverty, neglect, hopelessness, anger and crime made an explosive combination.

There was no one around, but as Mick got out of the taxi he felt eyes on them from various directions.

“What’s your name?” he asked the cabbie as he eyed the surrounding buildings.

“Allan. Allan Casings.”

“I‘m Mick St. John,” he said. “Allan, if you think you’re in danger, just get out of here. Don‘t worry about us. We‘ll find a way out.”

“Huh. You may have either watched a few too many action movies or you‘re just sixteen different kinds of stupid.” Allan said. “I will be right out here. Go get your lady and let’s get the heck outta Dodge.”

Mick nodded, heading for the hospital entrance. He briefly considered that his GPS signal could be announcing his arrival, but Renault was old school and he was betting nothing had changed.

Inside, Claude Renault walked into the boiler room where Beth hung from the pipes.

“You’re awake. Excellent.”

"How long was I out?” she asked, her eyes narrowing.

“Almost an hour and a half. I expected Mick to be here by now, so maybe he’s not coming. Too bad. I suppose we’ll just have to start without him.” he drew out a short sword, similar to one she’d seen in Mick’s ’vampire hunting kit’. Beth’s eyes widened and that seemed to please him. “Before I was turned, I was an expert with this. Did you know that?”

“No. I just know that you weren’t good enough to keep Mick from staking you and leaving you in a silver mine,” she spat, angry and afraid.

Reaching up, he grabbed a thick handful of blonde hair and sawed it off with the sword. She screamed in pain and fear.

“You’ll learn it is wise not to make me angry,” he said, his dominance restored. “As I was saying, the game we will play first is one I have been practicing for years. I’ll use this sword to cut away your clothes, one layer at a time.” to illustrate, he extended his arm and with a flick of his wrist he slit the satin of her dress from her waist up to the base of the ’v’ neck between her breasts. She gasped and trembled. “Just. Like. That.”

He walked around her slowly, choosing the next place to cut.

As Mick entered the empty hospital, he realized what Josef meant when he said he couldn’t let Sarah go. He didn’t want to consider the possibility of letting Beth go. He knew he was walking into a trap, and knew what Renault was planning to do to him. He didn‘t want to die here but if his life was going to end tonight, he planned to make it count for something.

Josef and Gerard were picked up on the roof of the hotel by a state of the art stealth helicopter. They rode toward the address on the note with one Gerard’s security squads and would be dropped them from a height of about forty feet, then move in on foot.

“We’re really not dressed for this,” Josef commented, plucking at the cuffs of his Armani suit.

“No matter.” Gerard said. “There is an abandoned hospital at that address that has been closed for over fifty years. It’s in a run down, crime ridden part of the city, but that could work to our favor. No one observing us is likely to be on speaking terms with NYPD. Why did you let your friend go after the human alone? He is only a child--less than a century old, if my nose is correct. You expect him to take Claude Renault on and win?”

“He took him on and won thirty years ago. Mick has taken out a lot of vamps older than himself. He has good instincts and a knack for sensing an opponent’s weaknesses.”

“Is he one of yours?”

“No. He’s a Duval--was Coraline Duval’s last boy toy. She Turned him on their wedding night and he never had a clue what she was before then. They went through a few stormy decades of marriage, then she decided to kidnap a little girl and make it a threesome. He couldn’t deal with that. He staked his wife, left her in an inferno and took the child home to her mother. That little girl’s name was Beth Turner.”

“The same?”

Josef nodded.

“Mon Dieu. That explains his strong attachment.”

“Maybe. They are definitely in each other’s blood.” Josef commented.

“There are rumors of a very powerful young one in your area that killed his own sire and routinely defeats older, stronger vampires. I was planning to ask you about this but never got the chance. It's Mick, isn’t it.”

“I don’t know of anyone else who fits that description. He helps me keep order in L.A. and is under my protection,” said Josef, eyeing the New York leader.

“And mine as well,” said Gerard. “Neither you or your Emissary in any danger from me.”

“Thank you.”

“I thought I heard something about Coraline Duval on the Continent only a few years ago. Are you certain she is dead?”

“I wasn’t there but to the best of my knowledge, yes.” Josef thought of Morgan Vincent somewhere in L.A.

The helicopter descended and hovered. “Come on,” said Gerard. “This is where we get out.”

Once inside the old structure, Mick didn’t have to find Beth by scent. He followed the screams. Fortunately, they were strong--fueled by rage and fear but no pain.

Beth’s satin dress was ripped to shreds and hung about her in ribbons. Her vitals were strong and the room was filled with the smell of surging adrenalin, but as yet no blood. Renault had been amusing himself while terrifying her. Her face was streaked with angry tears but there was fire in her eyes. Good.

“I’m here, Renault. You can let her go.” Mick held out both hands, palms up in surrender. He realized that appealing to Renault to release Beth was a long shot, but when a long shot is all you’ve got, you take it.

Beth’s head snapped up when she heard Mick’s voice. Hope flared to life in her heart and was reflected in her eyes and she smiled at him. He nodded back.

Renault walked over carrying the same short sword he had once been buried with. He sliced through the restraints tying Beth‘s arms above her head and she fell onto her knees. Tossing his sword onto the floor he walked leisurely up to Mick, withdrawing a long piece of wood from a pocket.

“True, I could. But I think it would hurt you more if I don’t let her go. So, the first thing I do is to stake you,” he drove a wooden implement into the P.I.’s chest.

Somehow, Mick knew that part was coming.

Then, Renault leaned closer and whispered, “Only I won’t bury you. You get to watch what I’ll do to your human, listen to her screams, begging you to save her and knowing that you can’t. Then, when I’m done with her--and we both know humans don‘t last very long--I’ll start on you. If I were you, I’d hope she lasts a long…long time.“

Mick closed his eyes slowly.

So focused on the revenge he had long planned, Renault completely ignored Beth. He didn't consider any human, especially a human female, a credible threat so sounds from her movements behind him barely registered. She picked up the sword quietly, hefted it, gauging the weight and balance and moved behind him. Mick watched as her face hardened even further. Her eyes were fierce--their focus and intensity shocked him.

Renault must have seen something in Mick’s eyes as he started to turn but never completed the motion before his own sword sliced through his neck. Beth swayed for a moment then walked over, smoothly pulled the stake from Mick's chest, and helped him up before hugging him hard. When her trembling abated a bit, he took her face in his hands and kissed her tenderly. Her beautiful dress, now in tatters was liberally splattered with Renault’s blood so Mick removed his duster and wrapped it around her. Putting his arm around Beth, he lead her out of the hospital entrance. While exiting the building, the encountered Josef and Gerard with the small force assembled for their rescue.

“Come on,” said Gerard. “Let’s get the two of you out of here.”

“No need,” said Mick. “I’ve got a taxi.” he smiled down at Beth and they walked over to Allan’s cab.

The doctor responsible for tending Gerard’s freshies checked Beth over at the hotel, treated her minor injuries and prescribed a mild sedative so she could get a good night’s sleep. Mick suspected that once Josef and Gerard finished with the hotel management, most security personnel would have lost their jobs for allowing Renault to kidnap Beth under their noses, especially as they had moved there for security concerns. He wondered what the New York equivalent of the La Brea tarpits was.

Beth was almost back to normal the next morning, although she quipped about needing a new hairdo because of the odd haircut she had received. Over breakfast, Mick apologized for her exposure to the bad elements in vampire society stressing that it wasn’t what he intended. He also asked if she wanted to go home.

“Are you saying Gerard Nottingham doesn’t have any other troublesome vampires for us to deal with?”

“Please tell me you’re joking.” he said.

“Of course I’m joking! Are you all right?“

“Me? I’m fine. This just wasn’t how I wanted to show you the city.”

“Well, I would hope not. If this is your idea of a fun date, we definitely have problems. At least I got to save you.“

Mick smiled, taking both of her hands in his. “When you’re right, you’re right. We’re both very lucky to be alive.“ he said softly.

She looked down at her hands resting in his. “To answer your question--yes, I’m ready to go home. I used to think my life was dull and boring, but ‘dull and boring’ sounds really good right now. I will have to make up something for Josh to explain this,“ she indicated her new hairstyle. “Maybe a mugging. I do have one question, though.”

“What’s that?”

“You just walked into that room and let yourself be staked. Surely you knew what he planned to do to you. Why didn‘t you wait for Josef and Gerard?”

“I was playing for time. Vampires are a lot tougher than humans. You need to understand that there is less risk to me as I heal better than a human. I’m not saying that Renault couldn’t kill me, he could and planned to, but I gambled that he wanted to kill me more than he wanted to kill you and hoped that he’d let you go. Even if he didn’t, I thought I’d last until they got here.”

“Mick, I don’t know what to say.”

“Didn’t help much. I’ve been telling you for months how dangerous our relationship is. All this time, I was thinking about the danger you would be in from me. I didn’t consider the danger you would be in from my enemies. I’m so sorry that you had to go through this, Beth, but maybe it’s a good thing--you got a look at how dangerous being close to a vampire really is.”

“It’s funny how we can look at the same situation and see two different things: you see proof of how dangerous it is to be around you and I see all the steps you took to keep me safe. In the final analysis, if you hadn’t done what you did, I would have been killed. If I hadn’t been here, you would have been killed so I guess everything worked out for the best. As horrible as the experience was, if it meant saving your life I’d go through it again in a heartbeat.”

Mick didn’t argue with her logic. He was just grateful for it.

After breakfast, Josef flew Beth home ahead of them so she would be there when Josh met his deadlines.

Later, Josef and Mick had another meeting with Gerard Nottingham.

“I found out how Renault knew where you were staying. He was in the British cavalry when he was Turned. His best friend was a fellow named Franz Cornwall. He Turned him a few years later. Franz Cornwall is currently manager of the hotel where Mick and Beth were initially staying. As I told you before, Renault didn’t have many friends, but he and Cornwall were still close. I had Cornwall picked up earlier this morning. After some encouragement, he admitted to calling his old friend and tipping him off about your move, then helped him locate where you had gone. Had you not followed Josef’s advice about changing hotels, you would probably be dead now.”

“I've stayed there before. Why didn’t Renault take me out on a previous visit?” Mick asked.

“I wondered the same thing so I had my people check. You stayed there on three separate occasions over the last few decades and when you did Renault was out of the country. You’re a creature of habit and they knew sooner or later you would be in New York at the same time Renault was. We vampires are patient. We can wait. You mentioned that Franz was very upset when you and Beth decided to change hotels in the middle of the night until she reassured him that it didn‘t mean you were changing your opinion of his establishment. If you left, he wanted to be sure you’d come back. As it happened, they tracked you to the Cummings and you know the rest.”

“What did you do to him?” asked Josef.

Gerard swirled the amber liquid in his glass and sighed. “I know you may not agree with me here, but Franz Cornwall has been an asset to New York vampire society. On the few times that he had brushes with trouble, Renault has always been at the root of it. I will watch him and if he takes one step out of line, will deal with him, but for now, I think he is salvageable. However, his hotel will be under new management soon. You both should know that until he does something to warrant withdrawing my protection, Franz Cornwall will remain under it. We are fortunate Ms. Turner is as strong and resourceful as she is. For a human to take a vampire‘s head, especially one as formidable as Renault, is quite remarkable. I wish she lived in New York.”

“I don’t.” Mick shortly.

“We all get that Mick,” said Josef. “Jerry, there is something else I want to talk to you about. In 1955, I attempted to Turn a young woman named Sarah Whitley. It didn’t work and I have been taking care of her at 21 Waverly Place ever since. I will be moving her to a medical facility I fund in Australia. I’m sorry I never told you about her being there. I was afraid knowledge of her would get out and my enemies try to get to me through her.”

“You underestimate me, my friend. I’ve known about your fledgling for decades.” Gerard smiled. “I have watched over her, too.”

“Then I guess I’m the one who owes you now.” Josef said softly.

“You guess correctly and I will do whatever I can to assist you in moving your Sarah. I hope you succeed in solving the riddle of her condition. Now, I have things to attend to. Are you leaving today?“

“As soon as we get another plane here to take us home.”

“By the way, Mick--I will see what I can do to assist your taxi driver friend. I understand he helped you get to where Renault was holding Beth at considerable risk to himself. We need to take care of our friends.” Gerard commented. “I can fly you home if you like. I, too have a jet.”

“No offense, Jerry, but I prefer to use my own plane.”

Gerard Nottingham got up and walked to the door. “Same old Josef-- paranoia personified. I am pleased to have met you, Mick. Should you ever decide to relocate, please consider New York. We have much to offer.”

“Yes, you do. Thank you for your help, sir. It was an honor meeting you.”

“Hear that?“ asked Gerard, “nice manners. You should learn from him.“

“You don’t know him like I do,“ Josef called after the head of the local vampire community as he left the penthouse, Mick recalled that he and Beth never did get to the Village Vanguard and hoped one day he could convince her to return.

Just maybe not next week.

Shortly thereafter, Josef got a call saying that the plane had landed, was almost refueled and the limo was coming from the airport to collect them.

“I may have misjudged Jerry.” said Josef. “I though he needed to play by my rules. But he’s not me. He doesn’t operate the way I do, but his way works for him. I‘ve asked him to come to L.A. for a visit and I think he may find some ideas he could use. He should meet with Claudia and see the way our local Cleaners function. Also, it might do him some good to meet with Ryder and Logan.”

“I agree. Beth likes him and so did I.” Mick commented. “Lots of the older vampires have a suspicion of technology, with you being more of an exception than the rule. Had you not pushed me to adapt, I could have become like them.”

“Yeah, maybe,” said Josef, “but not to the degree of vampires who were turned before telephones, electric lights and freezers. Jerry is learning and adapting--not at the speed I’d like, but as I said, I‘m not him. He also has insight, intelligence and is an uncannily good judge of character. By using his talents to create a stable vampire community in New York he has proven he is more of a builder than a destroyer. Claude’s weaknesses ultimately cost him his life and saved you and Beth. Just always remember the Law of the jungle, vampire version: If you don’t keep learning, you get taken out by either by bad luck or those who do.”

“I don’t know if I have ever thanked you for all the vampire laws of survival you have taught me over the years. Thank you.” said Mick, staring into his glass. “I still think you could bring Sarah to L.A., though.”

“I have enemies in L.A. and besides, it would be easier to trace my movements and find her there. I would have to tell more people about her if I brought her there and that means more chances for the secret to get out. The best place is that medical research facility in Australia that already specializes in what we are. I’ll move Sarah and Polly, too, if she is willing. I think it would be the best environment for her and is just a few hours away.” Josef grinned. “My estimation of Blondie is steadily rising. At this rate, you may not be worthy of her in a few weeks. She has more guts and nerve than I’ve seen in a human in a very long time. She may not have much sense, though.”

“What makes you say that? She had a premonition that something was going to go wrong on this trip.”

“I’m not saying that she doesn’t have instincts. But she loves you.”

“Yeah," Mick smiled, "Some of us are just lucky. Remember what I said about me being the only person who doesn’t just like you for your money?”

“Hush. I’m not finished. Back in 1802, I fell in love with a human and married her. She never would let me Turn her, even though I offered several times--claimed that she didn’t want it. I stayed with her until she died. Even though I never doubted for a minute that she loved me, she tried to talk me into leaving her when she was in her fifties--you know how vain women are--but I told her that I didn’t want to leave her. I loved her wanted to be with her for as long as she lived. Anyway, she nodded and never suggested I leave again. A few years later, I couldn’t stand the curiosity and asked her why she didn’t ask me to elaborate.” Josef smiled at the memory. It was clearly a fond one. “So, she asks me if I‘d changed my mind. I told her no, and she says, ‘the heart does what the heart does‘ just like that ended the matter. Took me years to figure out that it did. I get that Beth is afraid and running back to the safety of her boyfriend, but whether she stays with him for a a day, a month, or another year, she’s in love with you, Mick, and that’s just the way it is.”

The heart does what the heart does.

“She‘d be better off with Josh.” Mick said darkly.

“Probably. She’s fond of him, she’s comfortable with him, but she wants you and you know it. Let me give you another piece of advice--lie to her, lie to me, lie to anybody you want but always be honest with yourself. You were willing to throw away your life for her and she knows it. Oye--you are one seriously maladjusted vampire.”

“Thanks.” Mick quipped dryly. “Remind me again why I’m your friend?”

“I let you fly on my aircraft and give you the benefit of my vast knowledge,” said Josef, finishing his scotch and getting up.

“Uh, Huh. And this great knowledge is going to kick in when? Look, I want Beth to have the life I didn‘t get to have. A family, children, and the chance to grow old with someone she loves who also loves her.”

Josef sighed, clearly exasperated. Three out of four weren’t bad. Lots of women settled for that but Mick had the feeling Josef didn’t think Beth was going to be one of them.

The younger vampire smiled. If Josef thought Beth has potential, then maybe he wasn’t such a lost cause after all.

fin
Last edited by jen on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
maggatha3
Ancient

Re: A Bite of the Big Apple - Chapter 3 PG 13 (conclusion)

Post by maggatha3 »

jen wrote:“Didn’t help much. I’ve been telling you for months how dangerous our relationship is. All this time, I was thinking about the danger you would be in from me. I didn’t consider the danger you would be in from my enemies. I’m so sorry that you had to go through this, Beth, but maybe it’s a good thing--you got a look at how dangerous being close to a vampire really is.”

It’s funny how we can look at the same situation and see two different things: you see proof of how dangerous it is to be around you and I see all the steps you took to keep me safe. In the final analysis, if you hadn’t done what you did, I would have been killed. If I hadn’t been here, you would have been killed so I guess everything worked out for the best. As horrible as the experience was, if it meant saving your life I’d go through it again in a heartbeat.”

Mick didn’t argue with her logic. He was just grateful for it.
Such a typical Mick Beth situation, first they get into trouble together, for all kinds of reasons and then they get to realise they owe their life to each other!! :laugh:

Thank you for a wonderful story , Jenna :flowers: , a really interesting and captivating ''what if''. It seems they even got a small step to togetherness in NY, but not too much so it can perfectly fit within the episodes...Beautiful.. :hearts:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Maggatha

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! It is really true that the owed their lives to each other at the end. Had they not done what they did, they would have been killed.

Also, I had a feeling that Beth wore some wigs in those last episodes, and now we know why she needed to wear them.

Thank you for reading and commenting. This was fun!

Jenna

:flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Way to go, Beth! :twothumbs: A great ending to a wonderful tale, Jen. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Gotta love Josef's words of wisdom at the end, too. :laugh:

Maybe you'll write about Gerard's visit to LA next?? :whistle:

:thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Micklifecrisis

Thanks for reading and leaving the lovely comment!!!!

Really? You want me to write about Gerard's visit to L.A.?

That's a wonderful compliment that you like my OC enough to read more about him and I'm having a Sally Field moment (she likes it! she really likes it!). I need to give this some thought. I must say, I am a little worried about the cleaners in New York. Maybe they should send Claudia there to straighten them out.

Thank you again!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I'd LOVE to see a follow-on story about cleaning up the NY Cleaners. And the loose end of Gerard in LA? Well, it's just crying out for a sequel. Just sayin'.

Wonderful ending to this gripping story, Jenna. I really enjoyed going along for this thrill ride with you. Thanks! :flowers:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Alle

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I can think of no higher praise for a writer for readers to say that they have enjoyed the fic and say that they want to see more of the characters and situations presented!

I have neglected RL issues that must be dealt with, but thanks to the amazingly talented DSR, I have learned some wonderful lessons about writing and must put them to practice soon, so okay! Sequel in the works. Many thanks to you and to Micklifecrisis for suggesting it!

Jenna

choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:flowers: Such a gripping conclusion Jen, I've really enjoyed this... as a story, and as a Moonlight story. :heart: Hearing the characters, their phrasing? It's been wonderful. :hug: And yes!! the loose end would be brilliant if it were tied up! Josef's personality was shining through in his encounter with Gerard in New York. I can just imagine him in his own back yard so to speak. :brow: Thank you for this. :hearts:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Yay! You finally got the last chapter posted :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:

I love the additions you made to the third chapter :heart: - they round it out nicely. As alle said, you've left the door open for a number of follow-up stories. Hope you choose to do one of them soon.

I'm so very glad you brought me along on this journey, Jenna :hug: :hug:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Darkstarrising

Thank you very much!

I discovered some of the magic of editing a fic here--first I started out removing the typos and add in the missing words while take out the duplication and distracting elements, and then other pieces of the story just rise to take the place of the deleted test.

Cool!

There will be a sequel of sorts, but I have a few other things on my plate first, Thank you so much for the suggestion. It really makes a writer feel good to hear that readers want to see more!!!

:ghug: :ghug: :ghug:

Jenna

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Choccyterri

So sorry I missed your reply to this chapter for so long!

Thank you so much for the lovely comment, too!

There are so many wonderful stories here to be told. Thank you for coming along on this journey!

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This is MickBeth as we know and love them. And it's Josef too. I totally forgot time and place reading this. Lovely!!!
Thanks! :hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Thank you!!!!

This was such a learning experience to write. Finally, some of the things a number of talented authors have told me started to come together here.

I hope I finally managed to learn something and the changes I made improved the product!

I appreciate your kind comment more than you know, Francis!

Jenna
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Last edited chapter.

:bump:
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

Yeah Beth! :clapping: :yahoo: You go, girl! :cheer:

While this wasn't what either Mick or Beth expected of their extended stay in New York, it wasn't all bad. They were able to have an 'adventure' and meet Gerard. Beth found out that Mick was willing to risk his life for her, and Mick got some wise advice from Josef.

I love the story about Josef's human wife. :hearts:

Thank you, Jenna! I really enjoyed this story! :rose: :hug:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!

Return to “jen's Office”