Camino del Monte Sol, ch. 1 (with OBTS) -- PG-13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Camino del Monte Sol, ch. 1 (with OBTS) -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

Author’s Note: This story is a collaboration between OnceBitTwiceShy and myself for Champagne Challenge #128: Reader/Writer II. OBTS provided the idea of Josef visiting Santa Fe in the 1920’s, and running into…well, you’ll have to read the story. The settings are as accurate as I can make them, having been in Santa Fe myself many times, and also using various resources on the City Different, as they call it, and its inhabitants back in the ‘20s. While I could find no record of a hotel located in Sena Plaza, such a place does exist, and who knows? It could have housed a small hotel at one time. The artists’ colony, and their compound on Camino del Monte Sol, are documented. There will be a thread with a set of pictures and links to places, costumes, cars, posted after the story is complete. My thanks to OBTS not only for the idea, but for her encouragement and input as the story progressed. I don’t own Josef, or any of the historical locations and personages mentioned in the story. Any errors or misrepresentations of fact are mine. Anything belonging to a media franchise, isn’t mine either.

Camino del Monte Sol

I. Santa Fe, Arrival, 1923

The sleek red Mercedes hit another hard rut, and Stephen Kostan, as he was calling himself this decade, cursed roundly. The roads from Los Angeles to Albuquerque had been rough enough, but this last stretch from Albuquerque to Santa Fe was preposterously primitive. He supposed most people traveling to the state capital still took the train. He winced every time he hit a rut, though; the Mercedes was showroom new, and didn’t deserve this kind of treatment.

It figured. The three darling pets he’d brought with him—his memories of this part of the world were still vivid enough that he wasn’t going to be caught undead traveling here without ready access to adequate supplies of fresh blood—were doubtless comfortably ensconced in a parlor car while he enjoyed jouncing along this ill-maintained track through a wilderness of scrub, cactus, and mesas. Dorothea, Patrice, and Louise were perfectly well-behaved young ladies, in public, anyway, and a pleasure to travel with, but a vampire needed some time away from humans, and he’d grown impatient with a backseat full of chattering women. So he’d drawn a half-pint from each of them, bottled it, and seen them off on the train, with explicit instructions on how to get from the station to the suite he’d booked for them at an out-of-the-way hotel.

Another rut, another hard bounce, and he heard a faint noise from the back. His precious blood—the bottles safely tucked in a bucket of ice wrapped in blankets and secured inside a wicker hamper—shouldn’t be clinking together, but he supposed the ice had melted somewhat.

He should be in Santa Fe in a couple of hours, though. He’d intended to make the journey at night, but his host in Albuquerque had dissuaded him. There’d apparently been a rash of bandits on the roads, and if he wanted to avoid trouble…He’d stopped himself short of saying, “Wouldn’t be the first time,” and foolishly, he thought in retrospect as he squinted through his tinted driving goggles at the late afternoon glare, changed his plans.

He’d thought that heading northeast in the afternoon would at least put the path of the sun away from him, but glare was glare. And damned unpleasant. He might look a bit old fashioned in his duster, gauntlets, and cap, but at least it gave him some protection from the sun and the dust.

Fifty years might have gone by, but he hadn’t forgotten the dust in this part of the world. One of the many advantages of not breathing was that he couldn’t actually choke on the annoying stuff.

He’d thought the scenery might provide some entertainment, but by now, he thought if he never saw another ocotillo bush or stand of prickly pear, he could live with it.

Off to one side of the road, he could see a village perched up on the edge of a mesa. He thought it must be Laguna Pueblo, if he had the distance figured right. He was glad he didn’t need to stop; the small cluster of mud brick buildings really didn’t look like his kind of town. Some distance from the road on the other side, a group of pronghorn antelope started up at the noise of his engine, bounding away on graceful, slender legs. Stephen felt his fangs shift a little, remembering his early years, when he’d run down deer for sport and the sheer exuberance of power. That was a very long time ago, now.

Mercifully, the sun was dropping behind the dry hills when the red Mercedes rolled into the outskirts of the city. He certainly had no complaints to make of the vehicle. One of his friend Slade Weston’s dry comments had been, “Did you buy the car, Stephen, when you planned the trip, or are you taking the trip to try out the car?” He’d smirked, even if Weston couldn’t see it over the phone line. “What, I can’t buy myself a new automobile?” The truth was somewhere in between, he thought. He’d needed some time away from California, but he wasn’t ready to make a big move yet. It was the same sort of principle as making sure his bite gave his donors a sexual thrill. Just mixing business with as much pleasure as possible.

Pulling up at the southeast corner of Santa Fe’s central plaza, in front of the hotel Weston had recommended, he nodded in approval. “Everything in Santa Fe happens at La Fonda,” Weston had told him. The adobe building was certainly imposing, and looked almost new. He had seen Spanish-influenced adobe in California, so it was not a complete surprise, but the irregularity of the building was more extreme than what he was used to. It rose in varying heights, a balcony here, a bell tower there, sprawling over its corner of the plaza as though it had simply sprung up from the red dirt beneath it.

Stephen swung out of the Mercedes, shedding his duster to reveal an immaculate dark suit below. He tossed the duster heedlessly into the back seat, following it with his gloves, goggles, and soft cap. He ran a hand through his short auburn hair to put it in some semblance of order, and frowned at the dust obscuring the scarlet shine of the Mercedes. The car should gleam as brightly as fresh blood, and the film of earth on it offended him. He would have to have that corrected.

The front desk of La Fonda was as ornate and polished as any he’d seen in New York or London, and as he checked in he spared a thought to wonder about how it had been transported to such a remote locale. He was shaken from his reverie by the inquiry of the desk clerk.

“Any firearms to check, Mr. Kostan?”

“I beg your pardon?”

The young man indicated a small sign on the desk. “City ordinance, sir. All firearms must be left at a hotel or saloon while you’re in town.”

Stephen quirked an eyebrow. “Interesting. But beside the point.” He paused, smiling. “I don’t find it necessary to carry a gun.”

The clerk frowned. “If you’re out on the roads much, sir, you might want to reconsider that. It can be dangerous around these parts.”

Stephen’s smile turned frosty. “Trust me, it’s not a problem.”

The clerk shrugged, unimpressed. “As you say, sir.”

Stephen pulled his car key from his pocket, and set it on the counter in a fluid move. “On the other hand, can I get someone to take care of my automobile? It needs gas, washing, and polishing.”

The clerk looked doubtful. “That’s not really one of our services, sir.”

A twenty joined the key on the desk. “I’ll pay.”

The twenty disappeared. “I’ll see to it, sir.”

Stephen tapped the counter twice in approval, and turned away. He was happy to have a chance to establish himself as an outrageously good tipper; it usually ensured that his odder requests, like, say, for the two hundred or so pounds of ice he intended to have delivered to his bathtub in the near future, were fulfilled rapidly and without comment.

He had to admit, on first view at least the lobby was pleasing and welcoming, and as he moved through the building his favorable impression was enhanced. He’d had an idea floating in the back of his head since he’d established a presence on the West Coast, and Santa Fe, even on limited acquaintance, was causing that idea to take more definite form. The dry, cool climate that was so appealing for sufferers from tuberculosis would be perfect for reconstituting favored donors. He was looking forward to driving up into the pine and aspen shaded heights of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains—and how appropriate was that name?—while he was here, in search of the perfect location for what he had in mind. He was starting to think a rambling, expansive adobe compound might be just the ticket to refresh the overtaxed systems of those who nourished the vampires of the West. And the fact that it would be a very profitable business venture for him into the bargain, just made it better.

He checked his gold pocket watch. Enough of that for now. If he wanted to make the contacts he planned, tonight, he needed to get to his room and settle in.

But all in all, so far, he was pleased.
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Re: Camino del Monte Sol (Challenge #128 with OBTS) PG-13

Post by AggieVamp »

OHH! :) This sounds like it is going to be a great story! Looking forward to more.

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Fabulous start!

You can almost experience the heat, grit and annoyance of travel in a far less convenient time.

They didn't have air conditioning back then--old fashioned ice boxes?

Yet to Josef, it must seem very modern. After all, he started out centuries before.

Looking forward to more!

Thanks!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

librarian_7 wrote: Stephen swung out of the Mercedes, shedding his duster to reveal an immaculate dark suit below. He tossed the duster heedlessly into the back seat, following it with his gloves, goggles, and soft cap. He ran a hand through his short auburn hair to put it in some semblance of order, and frowned at the dust obscuring the scarlet shine of the Mercedes.
He always knows how to make an entrance, doesn't he? :happysigh:

What a fabulous start! We not only know where we're going and why, but also, thanks to your impeccably detailed descriptions, we are immediately immersed in the time, the place and the mood we're going to inhabit for the rest of this "ride." Yes, there's some business to be done, but there is no question that Josef Stephen is feeling restless. While that doesn't always bode well for him, it means we're going to be in for a very interesting tale.
librarian_7 wrote:But all in all, so far, he was pleased.
Yep, me too. :teeth:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thank you kindly for the comments. I am really indebted to OBTS for giving me the nudge to write about my favorite vampire (even under a different name...) in one of my favorite places. I've learned some new things about Santa Fe, researching this, that I had never known before. Not to mention, about the 1920's as well...

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, what a great beginning! It's so much fun to be reminded of other stories, too, as Josef bounces his way across the rutted dirt road toward Santa Fe. (Which is one of my favorite towns anywhere, mind you, so this is doubly fun!)

I love the way your descriptions bring the story to life. I can almost smell the dust and sage, and feel the glare burning my eyes. And your description of La Fonda puts me right there! :notworthy:

Josef certainly knows how to make a business trip into an adventure, and he does everything with such style. I can't wait to see what happens next!
tucutecats
Fledgling

Post by tucutecats »

wonderful you paint a perfect picture of Santa Fe. looking forward to thr next chapter, as always I am thrilled to have a new Joseph story by the wonderfully talented librarian 7 :hyper2:
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

Great start, Lucky. After hearing about his bouncy trip and his rough overland travels in the even wilder west, it's no surprise the vamp sticks to smooth running sports cars a bit later down the line. :snicker:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Ah, I can tell this is going to be another wonderful story of one of Josef's earlier persona. As always, you paint a picture lush with details of the setting so that the reader feels that they are there. As beautiful as he finds it, Stephen finds he's anxious to get off the bumpy, dusty road for a while.
He’d thought the scenery might provide some entertainment, but by now, he thought if he never saw another ocotillo bush or stand of prickly pear, he could live with it.
While Josef doesn't yet exist, Stephen is a foreshadowing of the vampire to come.
He’d needed some time away from California, but he wasn’t ready to make a big move yet. It was the same sort of principle as making sure his bite gave his donors a sexual thrill. Just mixing business with as much pleasure as possible.
La Posada is just a gleam in the vampire's eye, but the story of how it came to be will be fascinating.
But all in all, so far, he was pleased.
Me, too!!
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I love historical Josef. I've also never been to Sante Fe so I look forward to seeing it through his eyes.

He certainly does make an entrance and you have to encourage hotel staff to help you out with things like two hundred pounds of ice.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Oh how lovely. I see glimpses of "La Posada" and "Dust" in here. I'm so hooked already, and your words make me really feel the heat and the sun and the dirt. :heart:
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

oh my good golly Lolly...

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

another Josef story to revel in.
:happysigh:
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Oh WOW! Another exciting Josef tale- I can't wait to see what he'll be up to this time. Looks like he's enjoying his first car, LOL!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Re: Camino del Monte Sol, ch. 1 (with OBTS) -- PG-13

Post by moonlight_vixen »

I have never been to Santa Fe myself but with a beginning like this, especially with Josef, I have no doubt I'm going to love it! :hearts:
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Re: Camino del Monte Sol, ch. 1 (with OBTS) -- PG-13

Post by RangerCM »

Coming to the party a bit late, but if I bring dessert, can I stay? :wave:
He ran a hand through his short auburn hair to put it in some semblance of order, and frowned at the dust obscuring the scarlet shine of the Mercedes. The car should gleam as brightly as fresh blood, and the film of earth on it offended him.
I have no idea why this caught my eye and imagination, but I really love these lines. Maybe something about conquering the grave, and hence the earth. Hmmmmm.

Anyway, I am so looking forward to more of this. :hyper2: :hyper2:
banner by Cprav

Return to “Camino del Monte Sol”