In the Blink of an Eye (Challenge #126) (PG-13)

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

In the Blink of an Eye (Challenge #126) (PG-13)

Post by librarian_7 »

A short look at...well, just read it. It won't take long. And gee, no, I still don't own Moonlight.

In the Blink of an Eye

The fire in those hazel eyes devoured me, the night we met, the familiar flame of lust licking over me, warming me as it had often done before. He thought himself ensnared, entangled by me, but I was the one who was caught, when the fire turned from lust to love--not destroying flames, but a warm protecting glow. I wanted to give him the same feeling, to make it last forever, the two of us wrapped in each other. I wanted to feel the warmth of those eyes on me through the centuries to come.

So I gave him the greatest gift I had to give—my immortality.

No matter what he says, no matter what he thinks, I did it for us. To see myself forever in those eyes.

But I found out, too late, that the hard, bright gleam of silver in his immortal gaze had crowded all the warmth away, and left me in the cold, again.

Oh, Mick, what did I do to you?

The only way I know to take that flash of silver from your eyes, is to wash it out with blood. And we’ll both live forever with the knowledge that what’s been seen, no matter how briefly, can never be unseen.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: In the Blink of an Eye (Challenge #126) (PG-13)

Post by cassysj »

Poor Coraline. What she did can't be undone. Which is good for us but Mick didn't get over it.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Wonderful!!! I love how his eyes are the mirror of her remorse. :heart:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

francis wrote:I love how his eyes are the mirror of her remorse. :heart:
Oh my gosh, francis -- what a perfect comment. What a perfect phrase in its own right, :notworthy:

Lucky, you know I love this, because I told you so last night, but it don't think I told you my favorite part...
But I found out, too late, that the hard, bright gleam of silver in his immortal gaze had crowded all the warmth away, and left me in the cold, again.
She never considered that the act of turning might very well extinguish more than the beat of his heart. :sadface:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

This is beautiful--and it brings something up that we saw on the show, but isn't often mentioned. Mick's eyes (and Josef's, too) in their human state have so much beauty and warmth to them. But as soon as they turn to their vampire silver, that warmth is frozen out. How ironic that Coraline found out too late that she'd fallen in love with something she couldn't have forever, that she would destroy by trying to preserve it eternally. Maybe that's what she was trying to say to Mick in TMC...
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

:Mickangel:

Poor Coraline, trying so hard to freeze fire without realizing that the two can't exist together. A lot's said of that moment where he first wakes up with fangs and stumbles into his own confusion, but he wasn't the only one confused right then. She really did intend what she did to be a gift and struggled with his non-acceptance.

:sigh:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

What glorious pain you conjure!
:thumbs:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucky

This is wonderful!

Once again, you have written a lovely, lovely piece. At first, because of the great warmth in the words, I made the assumption that it ws Beth talking, but then the context quickly told me otherwise.

This was probably one of the best examples of unintended consequences I can think of. Her intentions were a love to last forever but the result was far different.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Last edited by jen on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

This may be brief, Lucky, but it is beautiful :rose: .....Coraline's gift as she meant it to be, but could never be.

This is particular is just exquisite
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Oh! I need to give a special shoutout to my wonderful beta, Lilly, who gave me much-needed advice on several points with this story (not to mention, coming up with the perfect title...), and also Allegrita, who also offered some great suggestions.

Beta readers do so much for us, and personally, I can never thank these ladies enough.

Also, thanks to all my readers, for the lovely comments. You make the work of writing fan fic worthwhile.

Lucky
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Holy cr@p, Lucky. What a stab to the heart. This one's an absolute killer. I was dyyyying as I read this. Ugh. You've moved me to complete inarticulateration-ness. See.

ITA with Lilly,
francis wrote:I love how his eyes are the mirror of her remorse.
this is sheer poetry and the perfect commentary on this work.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is so fabulous! I had to read it again and it will not be or the last time, for sure but Luxe shouldn't worry about being inarticulate. She wouldn't know how.

She is just expandng the parameters of the language.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

:rolling: Luxe, speechless? Surely not!

(But thanks for the thought....)

And you too, jen. With everything to choose from, it's especially nice to hear someone is re-reading!

Lucky
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

librarian_7 wrote:The only way I know to take that flash of silver from your eyes, is to wash it out with blood. And we’ll both live forever with the knowledge that what’s been seen, no matter how briefly, can never be unseen.
You better believe it, sister!
francis wrote:I love how his eyes are the mirror of her remorse.
I agree -- this was so well said, francis!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
tucutecats
Fledgling

Post by tucutecats »

How could she know the gift she thought she was giving would destroy his love for her. He was such a child if his time of course he would view it with horror, one can only feel sorry for her.Lovely to have you back Lucky I have missed your stories, I guess I just have to re=read some pf thr old ones.

Return to “Drabbles and Short Pieces”