Knowledge is power (PG-13) - challenge #116 (part 3 of 3)

RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Re: Knowledge is power (PG-13) - challenge #116 (part 3 of 3)

Post by RangerCM »

I wonder how many decades or centuries it takes for a vamp to finally settle into the reality that they can never really exist outside the vamp world. Mick still has along way to go.

Love this ending. It had a calming effect on me too. :flowers: :flowers:
banner by Cprav
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

How intriguing, Ranger. Maybe Mick might be the one to break the mould and find a way to exist between two worlds? Then again, maybe it's just not possible as you say. :chin:

Thanks so much for stopping by to read. :hearts: :hearts:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

I just love this Mick. :cloud9:

Strong, confident in his P.I. skills, not afraid to do what it takes to get the job done.
Jaw set, jacket pulled tight, Mick crossed the street pondering the magnitude of that mistake.
I ADORE this visual.

and this...
"Stay down." They didn't need to be told twice. Mick hauled Santos by the collar over the desk and onto the floor, one knee on his chest, hand round his throat. "And it's Mr. St. John."
I can so see this...the two sides of Mick. The side that will rough up the bad guys to get that briefcase back, and the softer-hearted side that tries to protect the children that Santos is willing to exploit.

Then there's Josef...
The curves of a scarlet Ferrari gleamed into view as Mick pulled into the parking garage, which meant two things: one, Josef was upstairs helping himself to Mick's stash and two, he had a hand to play.
I also adore this Josef - the cagey vampire who always has something up his sleeve, the one who keeps secrets even from Mick.

The back-and-forth between the two - classic Mick and Josef, and made me grin through that whole section. :teeth:

And when the client comes to retrieve his lost item...Mick gives him a warning:
"Favours from Josef Kostan always come at a price."
Wonder if Mick speaks from experience here... :chin:

Then there's the ending...which was SO lovely.
A couple of days and nights felt like an eternity and he needed her now; to see her; to feel her; to remember that there was someone in the world, in his world, who needed him.
I think Mick needs the peacefulness and comfort of Beth more than she needs his protection.

Just all-around wonderful, Red! :hug:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

redwinter101 wrote:How intriguing, Ranger. Maybe Mick might be the one to break the mould and find a way to exist between two worlds? Then again, maybe it's just not possible as you say. :chin:

Thanks so much for stopping by to read. :hearts: :hearts:

Red
Seems like all the older vamps (Josef, Lola) had long ago settled into their natures, but then again, we didn't have many vamps available to test this theory. Maybe we would have eventually met a Godric type character. Hmmmmm
banner by Cprav
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Oh, how perfect it is that Mick uses the Maltese Falcon reference .... I gather he is not ever going to know what was in that briefcase. (I'm rather taken by the idea that maybe it is just the daughter's high school recital .... )

Josef certainly isn't above using Mick for his own ends, but I wondered if he might also trying to provide some much-needed distraction at this time in Mick's life.

This ending is particularly strong ... it was so hard for Mick to find his case diving back into the vampire world. It seems as if Beth is the one thing in his life that he sees as untouched by that darkness. And what a contrast she is to his daily world, and the violence and machinations of this case.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Shadow wrote:It seems as if Beth is the one thing in his life that he sees as untouched by that darkness. And what a contrast she is to his daily world, and the violence and machinations of this case.
YES! That makes such sense to me. Beth is his anchor to the sunlight, his touchstone to humanity. Everything else gets sucked back into the dark, but Beth is the one thing that is (seemingly) unmarred by the darkness. Of course, he's fooling himself, but I can absolutely see him feeling this way. He saved her from the hell he's living in. And he views her as proof that it's possible to touch that world and survive essentially unscathed.

(Edited to fix a thought...)
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

allegrita wrote:
Shadow wrote:It seems as if Beth is the one thing in his life that he sees as untouched by that darkness. And what a contrast she is to his daily world, and the violence and machinations of this case.
YES! That makes such sense to me. Beth is his anchor to the sunlight, his touchstone to humanity. Everything else gets sucked back into the dark, but Beth is the one thing that is (seemingly) unmarred by the darkness. Of course, he's fooling himself, but I can absolutely see him feeling this way. He saved her from the hell he's living in. And he views her as proof that it's possible to touch that world and survive essentially unscathed.

(Edited to fix a thought...)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Sorry it took so long to respond. It was lovely!! Just perfect... :cheer:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

PNWgal, :teeth: :teeth: (that's me grinning verrrrrrrry happily at your comment) - thanks so much, honey. I do love an opportunity for Mick to do his thing. Because he does it soooo well.

Ranger, um, Godric??? :shrug:

Shadow, thanks so much for reading - and that's a lovely comment. The Maltese Falcon is one of my favourite films and it was fun to slip a reference in here. Delighted you liked the ending, too. :biggrin:

alle, (and Shadow) :yes: :yes: that's a great way of putting it - Beth IS the lightness in his world, and has been since he rescued her, I think.

lorig, no sweat, honey - delighted you enjoyed it. :hearts: :hearts:

Red

RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Sorry. Godric is a True Blood reference. VERY old vamp who had kind of found his inner "something" and had become something of a recluse until he emerged ready to end his life and move on to the other side. We never really met a vamp even close to Godric's age on ML so I wonder if someone like that would have ever showed up, had the show continued.
banner by Cprav
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

RangerCM wrote:Sorry. Godric is a True Blood reference. VERY old vamp who had kind of found his inner "something" and had become something of a recluse until he emerged ready to end his life and move on to the other side. We never really met a vamp even close to Godric's age on ML so I wonder if someone like that would have ever showed up, had the show continued.
Thanks, Ranger - that makes sense - and it would have been amazing to have such a character in ML. :sigh:

Red

diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

OMG Red this so great! It's so... Moonlight! Mick the avenging and guardian Angel all at once. I love the noir feel to it, and the :Mickangel: , and your style, the pace, the rythm of it! You can just see everything happen as if on screen! The way you write action scenes is just fabulous! Well the way you write in general is fabulous, just, in this case, you know what I mean lol... And of course, what can I say, the ending... Beth the one thing that makes sense, the meaning in his life, justifying the past and giving him a reason to keep going into the future he cannot yet fathom... :cloud9: :heart:
Thank you so much Red! :rose:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

diane31 wrote:It's so... Moonlight!
Just the best compliment EVER. Thanks so much. :hearts: :hearts:

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This chapter is about the puppet masters--those who pull the strings of others to accomplish the ends they desire. Santos clearly does for T and Miguel, and Josef does, as well.

Mick is wonderful throughout! He is an excellend private investigator not simply because of his vampiric abilities, but also because of his natural instincts.

The captivating romance with Beth is perhaps two decades away, but the magic is perfetly intact.

Thank you

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, jen. It's one of the things I loved about Moonlight - Mick wasn't just playing at being a PI, he was good at it and it's nice to show that whenever I can.

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Re: Knowledge is power (PG-13) - challenge #116 (part 3 of 3

Post by Moonlighter »

Wow, interesting ending, Red! Leaving us all wondering what was actually in the briefcase is one thing, but you kind of give us each vamps' "station" in this story, and the hierarchy always has Josef at the top. As soon as Santos said "some suit" I thought to myself, "What has Josef done?" And as usual, he has his hand in it although he will not admit as much to Mick. I guess by this time he feels their friendship is strong enough to endure his secrets. But as comfort in these uncertain times, Mick turns to what he knows as his constant, and that is Beth.

Thank you for this little in-between peek and Mick's life before we were allowed to step fully into it. :thanks: Red!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!

Return to “Knowledge is Power”